DAFC.net
Home 23 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Crowds back in Scotland
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 7 May 10:05

It is expected that 500 fans will be able to attend the SPFL playoff finals .
The League 1 and Championship playoffs will be screened by BBCAlba.
SPFL: Championship & League 1 & 2 play-off finals moved to allow fans - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56998512

Post Edited (Fri 07 May 10:08)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Crowds back in Scotland
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 7 May 10:14

Jings, is that more than the crowd I was in when Jim Leishman made his home managerial debut?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 7 May 11:24

Not quite - it was around the 700 mark.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Fri 7 May 11:43

BBC Alba?? Why?? I understand as much as if they spoke Martian!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 7 May 12:52

I know we were getting low crowds in those desperate times VEE, did it ever fall below the 500 mark?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 May 13:00

I don`t reckon so, but wouldn`t say so without fear of contradiction !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 7 May 13:36

I think around 700 was our lowest at EEP, though I have a dim recollection of a tiny crowd away to Queens Park. And I mean tiny.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 May 15:11

I was one of those diehards - Stenhousemuir the opponents ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 May 16:05

You know something? I was never that happy after George Farm left the Pars. I was gutted actually.

Alex Wright just wasnae the right man for us. St Mirren were rubbish, how was he going to improve us? He didn`t. The George Millar times were better but still pretty lousy, if I am honest. But I thought Harry Melrose was a great manager for us in quite difficult times... I loved that man.

Then we got Pat Stanton and Tam Forsyth. Those of you who complain about Stephen Kenny should have been around then... honestly, it was the bleakest of bleak periods in the Pars history, well in my opinion anyway! Though I think I am not alone...

Jim Leishman changed everything. It was like a miracle happened at EEP. Within a few short years we went from 700 in the stadium to an AVERAGE crowd of over 10,000. A bloody miracle!!!

We should never EVER forget that.

The truth is that there are Pars fans out there. We just have to find them again!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 7 May 16:50

Good post, Oz. Harry Melrose was far too nice a man to be an effective manager. Pat Stanton and Tam Forsyth were far better players than they were managers - absolutely brutal.

The lowest crowd I can remember was a basement league encounter v Montrose. We finished 5th from the foot of the whole Scottish League. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 May 17:26

I used to love Harry`s notes in the programmes back then. They were kind of chatty and gossipy... like he was just talking to you. More simple times.

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 7 May 19:43

Let’s not forget about Jocky Scott when we’re mentioning abysmal managers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Fri 7 May 21:26

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 07 May 13:36

I think around 700 was our lowest at EEP, though I have a dim recollection of a tiny crowd away to Queens Park. And I mean tiny.

Was it not against QP team that had just lost a few players due to a car crash in Canada in 1978? Was at the game when we lost by a few goals!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 7 May 22:07

I seem to remember only a couple home games about 700/800 mark, I`m pretty sure one was midweek Hamilton, but can`t remember too many games against them (I`m 54) generally we kind of hovered above 1000 if I remember (decent atmosphere to my young ears)

I have fond memories of Harry Melrose teams, probably because that was when I started going every week, some decent teams, and the players are kind of my `heroes`

Yes, started to really go downhill with Stanton, and Tam Forsyths reign was brutal stuff, for years we were grim to watch, which is maybe why I am supportive these last few years, you haven`t seen bad!

Leishman was a revelation, and we didn`t expect anything like this, took over the whole town, probably went beyond football.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sat 8 May 07:28

2 Queen’s Park players tragically died in a car accident during their tour of Canada 40 years ago - forward Bernie Donnelly and a very promising young central defender David Ballantyne (who if memory serves was the brother of Queen’s Park forward Ian Ballantyne who went on to play for Dundee Utd and the Rovers).

Tom Forsyth may have been a nightmare as a manager but he was charge for a game that was one of my most memorable - a very controversial 3 all draw with Hearts at Tynecastle.

Was Pat Stanton not responsible for the disastrous signing of Doug Considine for what was then an insane amount of money?

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: loyaltothelast  
Date:   Sat 8 May 11:55

aj27 was at that game at tynecastle that muppet terry Wilson got sent off for the pars 3-1 we came back to draw 3-3 often reminded him it was his finest game for the pars in his days at east end

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 8 May 14:45

Quote:

dd23, Fri 7 May 19:43

Let’s not forget about Jocky Scott when we’re mentioning abysmal managers.

Jocky Scott never looked interested when he was at EEP - leaning against the outside of the dugout and looking repeatedly at his watch, but compared to Forsyth and Stanton, he was almost good. He took us down in his first season, but we were challenging for promotion the next. It was practically in the bag but the Pars threw it away in the last 5 or 6 games. Did we not even contrive to lose to the already relegated Blue Brazil at home? - only their 2nd win of the whole campaign. To make matters worse, Willie Callaghan Jnr was on the scoresheet.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sat 8 May 15:37

Quote:

AJ27, Sat 8 May 07:28

2 Queen’s Park players tragically died in a car accident during their tour of Canada 40 years ago - forward Bernie Donnelly and a very promising young central defender David Ballantyne (who if memory serves was the brother of Queen’s Park forward Ian Ballantyne who went on to play for Dundee Utd and the Rovers).

Tom Forsyth may have been a nightmare as a manager but he was charge for a game that was one of my most memorable - a very controversial 3 all draw with Hearts at Tynecastle.

Was Pat Stanton not responsible for the disastrous signing of Doug Considine for what was then an insane amount of money?

Pat Stanton brought Norrie McCarthie to the Pars and I think Considine went the other way.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sat 8 May 15:41

Naw, Craig MacFarlane was the player who went to Cowdenbeath when Norrie joined Dunfermline
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 8 May 15:43

Correct, Mikey

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sat 8 May 15:45

I think Doug Consodine retired from football after his spell with us
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net