DAFC.net
Home 23 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Lee Ashcroft
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Sun 9 May 18:35

Player of the year and Players player at Dundee for this season...

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Lee Ashcroft
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Sun 9 May 18:41

Good for him. Was still glad to see him go last summer, I honestly didn’t feel he was that good and still don’t. An aerial threat from set pieces but prone to an error or two. Fair play, he’s obviously had a decent enough season for Dundee.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 9 May 18:42

Has bossed our forwards in mostly every game this season. Needs a quick CB beside him to cover though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 9 May 19:06

EEP wrote:

> Has bossed our forwards in mostly every game this season. Needs
> a quick CB beside him to cover though.
>
>

The same forwards who have scored 5 goals in three games against him...?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 9 May 22:13

2 goals away from as much as he scored with us and he has played 122 games less! He looked a different player against us this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 9 May 23:28

I dunno who plays with him at Dundee but he was decent when Callum Morris played with him at the back, pretty suspect when Durnan and Devine played with him. I wasn't overly cheesed off when I left. The last season or two with us I always felt he was a mistake waiting to happen.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 10 May 00:31

Allergic to high balls that bounce (ooerr)

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 10 May 04:42

I share the scepticism about Lee Ashcroft. He was terrific when teamed up with Callum Morris, but he went downhill after Callum left. His last season with us was awful. Careless mistake after careless mistake, and to add insult to injury, he would always be looking for someone else to blame.

The picture I have in my head is of him, arms outstretched, complaining to someone.

He seems to have found his niche at Dundee, and good luck to him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 10 May 09:46

^^ last few posts sum it up pretty well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Mon 10 May 12:07

I think when he was made captain, his own game went down hill significantly. Until that point, my recollection is that he was a steady, reliable player. With the revolving door and associated turnover of players, Ashcroft was a logical choice for captain .... with 20x20 hindsight, I would say he wasn’t really ready for that responsibility at that time; it didn’t do him or the club well.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 10 May 12:17

Quote:

Gadgie59, Mon 10 May 12:07

I think when he was made captain, his own game went down hill significantly. Until that point, my recollection is that he was a steady, reliable player. With the revolving door and associated turnover of players, Ashcroft was a logical choice for captain .... with 20x20 hindsight, I would say he wasn’t really ready for that responsibility at that time; it didn’t do him or the club well.

I think it had more to do with who was playing alongside him, Gadgie. He was made captain when Morris left, remember? The Pars brought in two central defenders in place of Morris, neither of whom managed to convince that they were up to the task and Ash's game and confidence went downhill as a result.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Tue 11 May 07:23

Dunfermline’s issue in many positions, is they keep replacing players with players who are slightly worse than the ones being replaced, we eventually end up where we are the now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 11 May 09:16

gwh18 - interesting post but I`m not sure that`s a fair assessment.

OFW isn`t perfect but he`s an improvement on Scully & that ginger guy we had a few seasons ago (the modern day goalie?)

Could be argued that Murray & Watson are better than Ashcroft if that`s who you`re referring to. Ashcroft turned down a deal to go to Dundee after a decidedly ropey last season with us. We didn`t let him go. He left for more money than we thought he was worth. Let`s not mention Devine/Durnan eh?

Wilson & Whittaker are at least on a par with Thomson/Paton/Wedderburn?

Dow & Thomas are comparable to McMullan/Aird in my book.

Hard to better the quality of Nicky Clark & Kevin Nisbet to be fair although I think we`ve got a decent front line at this level with the right service in Wighton/O`Hara & McManus.

Our squad is pretty decent on paper compared to others in the division, the management team are not getting the best out of them for whatever reasons, that`s the issue.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 11 May 09:26

Ashcroft always gave 100% but it was time to move on. Paul Watson has been an excellent signing. I`d make him captain for next season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 11 May 09:29

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 11 May 09:26

Ashcroft always gave 100% but it was time to move on. Paul Watson has been an excellent signing. I`d make him captain for next season.

I agree, Watson has been Mr Consistent.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 11 May 09:38

I think he’s won these awards as his form in an attacking sense has come good at the right time - the Dundee fans I know weren’t best pleased with him at the turn of the year.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 11 May 09:49

Lee Ashcroft was a very steady and dependable centre back when playing alongside Morris, who was able to concentrate on the basics - attacking the ball and playing a simple pass. He was always an 8 out of 10 for me.
After Morris left, his role changed and he had to take on more responsibility, both with and without the ball. He also didn`t have the security of Morris` pace
In other words, his weaknesses were exposed more, when playing alongside Devine or Durnan.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 12 May 05:42

I think also he blew some other players confidence during his time as captain. Man management on the park wasn’t the best and didn’t get the best from players around him when they weren’t performing. This is how I remember him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 12 May 07:35

Quote:

parsmad68, Wed 12 May 05:42

I think also he blew some other players confidence during his time as captain. Man management on the park wasn’t the best and didn’t get the best from players around him when they weren’t performing. This is how I remember him.

I recall him getting absolutely tore into Ryan Williamson on a few occasions.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net