DAFC.net
Home 17 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scotland v England pubs
Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC  
Date:   Sat 22 May 16:20

Anyone going to London for the game and know any pubs around London or Uxbridge that have availability?

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scotland v England pubs
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 22 May 17:11

The Sport Bar at Haymarket is big and has a lot of screens but the downside is the quality of the beers can quite be bad. It tends to be the bar through the back that has this problem. I've also never seen a team I support win when they've been on in there 😆

If you fancy somewhere less hectic than the town center then Dickens Inn is normally decent and they often make an effort for sporting events. St Katherine's Dock is a bit less busy and has some good places for eating and drinking.

I used to live in SE1 and would pop into Belushis in London Bridge to watch the football. Its not to everyone's taste as its a bit backpacker esque but I quite liked it.

There's loads of places though so you shouldn't struggle even for a big game.

Post Edited (Sat 22 May 17:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 22 May 17:19

I've got refundable rooms booked at Kings Langley. Still undecided about whether to go down or not.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 May 17:33

Preferably somewhere close to Hyde park LPF and somewhere within a reasonable travel distance of Uxbridge as that’s where we are staying. Seriously struggling to find many pubs that have availability

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 May 17:51

The Rileys sports bar would have been your best shout but I was surprised to see that it's still closed. Let me have a think about what else round there is ok for football mate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 May 18:00

Perfect thank you! Appreciate it

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 May 18:31

https://www.sportsbarandgrill.co.uk/marylebone/party-booking

I can't vouch for this place as I haven't been but seems to have availability as the date isn't blacked out and the England v Scotlabd game is listed in the fixture list still. It's close to Hyde Park and Baker Street should get you back to Uxbridge on the tube I think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 11:16

Cheers again LPF - have sent an enquiry so fingers crossed! Not even fussy about the standard of the pub so long as it shows the football and is close to Hyde park

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 12:06

Good luck mate hope it works out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 24 May 12:25

John Swinney was on the radio this morning - punters being advised not to travel unless their journey was essential.

Does heading down to the London area to watch a game locally on TV meet this criteria ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 12:37

If that's the case then the SG should have rules in place that reflect the level of risk they belive is faced. It's not fair to expect people to have gone through numerous lockdowns, relax those lockdowns that will allow people to do certain things and then tell them they shouldn't be doing things they've just been told they are allowed to do under the changes in the guidelines.

If its a genuine risk to travel then the SG have to bite the bullet and take the responsibility of implementing unpopular decisions and articulate the rational behind the decision.

I think lockdowns have been a necessary evil that were needed because the initial response was crap but its not fair to shift the onus onto individuals in the way that statement appears to (I haven't heard it so just going on the above).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 13:05

The ESSENTIAL aspect of travelling 400 miles to watch games on TV is difficult to justify in the present circumstances regardless of what restrictions are.are not in force.

Just as is the “need” to fly to Portugal, the issue that Swinney was responding to.

The SG is damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

Glasgow, East Renfrewshire and Moray are (or have recently been) problem areas, and Clackmannanshire is now apparently a cause for concern, so the virus is still on the agenda for travel.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 13:30

That's my point though - if they're saying that only essential travel is allowed then then why have they relaxed all of the rules? It was only essential travel that was allowed in the more stringent tiers of lockdown anyway so why change the rules to say travel to London is OK but then say you shouldn't because it's not essential and there's potentially still a risk? It doesn't make sense.

The only ones with the information to make proper decisions about risk are the Government.

They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't but if there is risk then that needs to be managed by the Government and not individuals. Some decisions Governments have to make are unpopular.

If there is still risk in a group of lads travelling to London to sit in a pub and watch a game of football there's a very high likelihood that group of lads (no offence Kyle) aren't going to be qualified or even have all of the data to determine what the real risk is. That's got to be the SGs job.

Post Edited (Mon 24 May 13:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Mon 24 May 13:37

The Scottish Government has given the go ahead to set up a Fanzone In Glasgow for the duration of the Euros. They will be showing the games there with food available, drinks etc. This will be situated at Glasgow Green and will accommodate up to 6,000 fans per day.

Post Edited (Mon 24 May 13:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Mon 24 May 14:23

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 24 May 12:25

John Swinney was on the radio this morning - punters being advised not to travel unless their journey was essential.

Does heading down to the London area to watch a game locally on TV meet this criteria ?

He can take the advice, turn it sideways and stick it up his hoop.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 14:29

They are saying that only essential travel is advised.

The SG can`t impose an absolute movement prohibtion indefinately.

People need to justify and be responsible for their own actions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 25 May 13:04

Seems that Wembley is going to have full capacity!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/covid-test-pilot-events-15-cases-west-end-revival-june-21-oliver-dowden-b937048.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1621934907-1
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 25 May 14:33

Bit sure why anyone would travel down with no ticket to the game

c'mon the pars

Post Edited (Tue 25 May 14:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 18:04

Mayor of London just on STV - don`t come without a ticket.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 18:44

Not like 70/80's when we hardly ever had tickets!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 18:51

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 2 Jun 18:04

Mayor of London just on STV - don`t come without a ticket.

I think he said don't come without a ticket or safe place to watch the game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 20:01

Yes, a safe place was mentioned.

It`d be interesting to learn what might be considered a safe place ..........or more to the point - an unsafe one in this scenario.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 20:42

You're absolutely right but I think that goes back to my point above. How can ordinary folk quantify that?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 20:57

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 2 Jun 20:01

Yes, a safe place was mentioned.

It`d be interesting to learn what might be considered a safe place ..........or more to the point - an unsafe one in this scenario.

A pub. Which I have booked. Looking forward to a wee trip with my son

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Scottn4312  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 21:09

I'll be traveling down to meet mates, half us scottish, half of us English. A wee Air BnB out in the sticks. Who needs all the chaos in London when you can just enjoy it with your best mates.

Post Edited (Wed 02 Jun 22:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 21:10

Absolutely crazy to be travelling the length of the country to watch a football match, in a pub, during a Pandemic. I wonder if the same folk condemning people for not taking the vaccine will condone this sort of thing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 21:28

We took the decision to cancel our trip to London as this was the safest situation for all. It is not clever in the current situation.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 21:56

Quote:

red-star-par, Wed 2 Jun 21:10

Absolutely crazy to be travelling the length of the country to watch a football match, in a pub, during a Pandemic. I wonder if the same folk condemning people for not taking the vaccine will condone this sort of thing

What rules are being broken?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 18:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zivk1KJs3_s

Gonnae no say that, gonnae no ?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net