DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Izatt Avenue
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 23 May 23:07

Read a fascinating story on Facebook today about Dunfermline streets and didn't realise the story behind the naming of this street.
From Wikipedia-
"David Heron Izatt (1892 – 1 July 1916) was a Scottish professional footballer who played in the Scottish League for Dunfermline Athletic. 62 games and 7 goals for The Pars between 1912 and 1915.

Izatt was a plumber by trade. Soon after the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914, he enlisted as a private in the Royal Scots. Izatt was killed in Sausage Valley on the first day of the Somme and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial."
Surprisingly, I had never heard about him previously. As far as I know there isn't a memorial to him at the ground, but perhaps I've missed it
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Izatt Avenue
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 23 May 23:59

Thanks for sharing. I never knew that either

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 24 May 01:14

Cheers for letting me know. We used to live in Brucefield in the early/mid 90s and we used to play football on Johnston Green next to Izatt Avenue - proper 20 v 20 matches with all the kids in the area with the Bus Shelter as goals at one end and a couple of jackets laid at the other end. Great days!

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Mon 24 May 01:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Mon 24 May 11:11

I wish that was the case Red-Star, but Izatt Avenue is named after George Izatt OBE who was Provost of Dunfermline 1945-48, and not Davie Izatt. You have been misinformed I am afraid. See Sheila Pitcairn`s excellent book: `A history of the old fitpaths and streets of Dunfermline`.

Davie Izatt lived at 43 Chalmers Street in 1911. His father was a railway porter.

I have written a number of articles about Davie Izatt and his comrade Jimmy Morton, who was on the Committee of DAFC (the club was not formed into a limited company until after WWI) for the programme, the official website and McCrae`s Battalion. They were with McCrae`s (16 Royal Scots) as part of 14 Platoon, D Company which was where most of the Dunfermline men served. I had the sad honour in 2016 to be at Contalmaison, where they were killed on 1 July 1916. I was there with many members of the Heritage Trust and the DAFC Board. This was 100 years to the day.

We are aware of seven men related to DAFC who were killed in WWI. There could be more. There never was a war memorial as such in the club. However, the Heritage Trust applied and got a grant for seven perspex cut-outs of WWI soldiers a couple of years back, and these represent the seven. Volunteers place them at a game near to Remembrance Sunday, on the half-way line in the north stand with Dunfermline scarves on them.

There was an article (with photographs of them) about the seven in the programme and also on COWS in November 2018. This is the entry for David Izatt:

David Izatt

Private 19520, 16th Royal Scots. Killed in action, 1 July 1916, La Boisselle, France & Flanders.

Thiepval Memorial. 24 years old.

Born in Dunfermline, David joined the Athletic from juniors Townhill United in February 1911 and a few weeks later scored the winning goal against Raith Rovers `A` in the Fife Cup Final. Initially signed as an inside-left, his versatility ensured that he went on to be used in a number of positions, though most frequently at half-back. In 1911/12 he was part of the team that lifted four trophies, most notably the Scottish Qualifying Cup, a triumph that played no small part in gaining the club election to the Scottish League.

A plumber to trade, David made 62 league appearances over the next three seasons, scoring six goals, and played once for the Athletic in the Scottish Cup.

Post Edited (Mon 24 May 11:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 24 May 11:12

Until Covid intervened, Dunfermline Athletic Heritage Trust participated in the annual pilgrimage of McCrae`s Battalion Trust to Contalmaison in France, commemorating the start of the Battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916 - the darkest day in the history of the British army with almost 20,000 men killed. You can see pictures on the Heritage Trust website HERE

"McCrae`s Battalion" was the 16th Royal Scots (Scotland`s Sporting Battalion) with footballers from Hearts, Hibs, Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Dunfermline and others, as well as athletes from a whole host of other sports. They achieved the greatest advance of any unit of the British Army in the initial offensive on the Somme, but of course many of the sportsmen lost their lives, including Davie Izatt and Jimmy Morton of Dunfermline Athletic.

McCrae himself had significant Dunfermline connections (he had a shop in the town and married a Dunfermline girl) so there were a lot of Dunfermline and West Fife men in McCrae`s Battalion - several of them also died that day and it`s probable that some were Pars supporters. In 2016, on the centenary of their deaths, the Heritage Trust organised a trip to the battlefields for present-day fans to remember them. You can see pictures of the events HERE

Post Edited (Mon 24 May 11:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 May 11:18

Thanks to the Roy Barry Fan Club and Stanza for that information, I stand corrected and apologies for passing on duff information..... That will teach me not to trust info on Facebook!
Great information on both the previous posts there
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 24 May 11:40

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 24 May 11:18

Thanks to the Roy Barry Fan Club and Stanza for that information, I stand corrected and apologies for passing on duff information..... That will teach me not to trust info on Facebook!
Great information on both the previous posts there

Let that be a lesson to you, Red Star. Even this forum is more reliable than Facebook. 🙂

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 24 May 14:15

Sheila Pitcairn`s excellent book: `A history of the old fitpaths and streets of Dunfermline`.

on line edition

http://www.royaldunfermline.com/Resources/streets_history.pdf

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 May 07:02

I know there is a Leishman Drive, not sure if there are any other Pars related street names.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maradona86  
Date:   Tue 25 May 07:41

Melrose Crescent
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 25 May 07:46

Masterton Road... ;-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 25 May 09:22

Wedderburn Crescent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 May 10:08

Lambert Dive for those that bare a lengthy grudge

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 25 May 13:56

There was a Paton Street up near Robertson Road.Par wrote:

> Lambert Dive for those that bare a lengthy grudge
>
> sammer

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 25 May 13:58

Abel Place?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 May 14:49

Quote:

sammer, Tue 25 May 13:56

There was a Paton Street up near Robertson Road.Par wrote:

> Lambert Dive for those that bare a lengthy grudge
>

Is that Bobby Robertson Road, Graeme Robertson Road or Craig Robertson Road?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Tue 25 May 17:17

It’s Hugh Robertson Road actually 👀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 25 May 18:50

Campbell Street

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 May 20:40

Stevie Morrison Drive

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: piepar  
Date:   Tue 25 May 22:39

Oh yes indeed 👍

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net