DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Mark Walters
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 25 May 16:49

In the footsteps of Andrew Watson Tonight on BBC Scotland channel 10pm-11pm.
Documentary in which former Rangers player Mark Walters looks back at the racism he received playing for the club.
He uncovers black footballing pioneer Andrew Watson, who captained Scotland in 1881

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Mark Walters
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 25 May 16:58

Seen that advertised it should be interesting
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 25 May 17:54

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Tue 25 May 16:49

In the footsteps of Andrew Watson Tonight on BBC Scotland channel 10pm-11pm.
Documentary in which former Rangers player Mark Walters looks back at the racism he received playing for the club.
He uncovers black footballing pioneer Andrew Watson, who captained Scotland in 1881

Cheers for the heads up, Salton. Therangers fans rightly get a lot of stick for their anti Irish Catholic bigotry/racism but the Sellick fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory when Walters made his OF debut. A pupil bragged to me that there wasn't a banana left in Cowdenbeath when their bus left for the game. In their defence, it should be said that he and others kids like him, thought it was a great laugh and didn't fully realise the abhorrence of their behaviour but there would have been plenty of adults on the bus who could have stopped it but effectively condoned it by turning a blind eye....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Tue 25 May 23:00

What a brilliant programme. The stuff he went through was unforgivable but he came across as a tremendous Individual.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 25 May 23:29

It was clever the way they linked the past with the present. I enjoyed it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Tue 25 May 23:44

Terrific programme really interesting
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 26 May 08:55

It was a good watch despite the abhorrent nature of the racist and secterian central issues.

Did anybody recognise the referee in Walters` OF debut at Parkhead - a controversial figure in one memorable game at EEP ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 May 08:56

Yes, that was a well constructed documentary, although Walters' commentary sounded like he was reading it from a script. He still comes across as a very decent, humble human being. A good history lesson, too. I'd never heard of Andrew Watson.

The overt racism of that era and the almost non existent efforts to confront it, was shameful. I had forgotten that Walters wasn't only targeted by Celtic fans with Hearts fans behaving in a similarly disgraceful manner. Archie MacPherson incredibly confessed that the significance of the banana throwing at Parkhead passed right over his head. Really?

It's comforting to think that the problem isn't so bad now, but racism hasn't gone away completely, as recent events at Ibrox and in George Square have graphically demonstrated. Until recently it was referred to as sectarianism, so well done Nicola Sturgeon for calling it out for what it really is - anti Irish Catholic racism.

A rather cynical Celtic-minded friend of mine suggested that the timing of this programme, recalling events from 33 years ago, is designed to deflect attention from the recent behaviour of Rangers fans.

Surely not?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 26 May 12:22

I`ve not had a chance to watch this yet but hopefully it`s on I player? Andrew Watson was inducted into the Scottish hall of Fame a few years ago but I read a few interesting articles about him recently.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12105731/black-history-month-scotland-footballer-andrew-watson-as-influential-as-pele

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/andrew-watson-scotland-remembers-first-black-footballer-100-years-on-from-his-death-3156620

Post Edited (Wed 26 May 12:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 26 May 12:26

GG, I very much doubt that this program could have been filmed and produced in the time frame that could have given your Celtic minded friend grounds for conspiracy.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 May 12:44

"GG, I very much doubt that this program could have been filmed and produced in the time frame that could have given your Celtic minded friend grounds for conspiracy."

Indeed, TOWK. That`s why I`ve described him as cynical.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Wed 26 May 12:51

I am going to watch this. A few years ago I delved into the past life of Andrew Watson and I found it very interesting.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 26 May 12:58

I remember at the time watching the scenes from Tynecastle on the telly with the bananas in disbelief and embarrassment
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 May 16:24

Quote:

DBP, Wed 26 May 12:58

I remember at the time watching the scenes from Tynecastle on the telly with the bananas in disbelief and embarrassment

One of the kids captured on film throwing a banana, can't have been more than 6 or 7. I highly doubt he was at Tynecastle on his own, which speaks volumes about the adult(s) accompanying him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 26 May 18:08

Andrew Watson is a fascinating character. He could be described as the man who popularised what became the modern game. Great article on the BBC website a few months ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/3k9u8lh178/Searching_for_my_slave_roots
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net