DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 SPFL SPLIT
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 28 May 06:20

Days after Dundee FC went up to the big school,John Nelms is speculating about an SPFL split.

I am not clear where he is coming from,given the Premiership currently gorges on 82% of Scottish Football income.

Does he envisage a breakaway League, as in 1989, where Dunfermline were to be invited?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: SPFL SPLIT
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 28 May 07:14

I’ll look forward to fan protests with royalty and politicians wading in!

we may even get eufa talking about places on merit and grass roots football - whilst keeping a straight face!

Or is it Dundee trying to sook up to the’ big boys’ and their fans so they visit next season?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 28 May 07:46

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57271111
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 28 May 08:34

Thankfully these American owners seem to have their finger on the pulse when it comes to the things that UK soccer fans want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 28 May 08:34

I'd have a beamer if I were a Dundee fan. They're the sweetie wives of the league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 28 May 08:46

What an absolute walloper. Seems to think Dundee aren`t just a middling bang average Scottish football club.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 28 May 08:51

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 28 May 08:46

What an absolute walloper. Seems to think Dundee aren`t just a middling bang average Scottish football club.

I wonder if he'd have opened his big mouth had Dundee lost the play off final?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 28 May 09:00

He’s having a laugh - after his club TWICE used administration to get out of jail.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 28 May 09:05

""I could see that happening," he told BBC Scotland"

It looks like he's been asked a question about a split if that's his first quote. Can't really have a pop at the guy for answering a question speculating about what may or may not happen - he doesn't even appear to necessarily be talking about Dundee's position on Colt teams.

What he does say is that the top flight sides will prioritise their own needs, which, in the shambles that is Scottish football, should surprise absolutely nobody.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 28 May 09:49

Looking forward to their ideas for generating more competition within the league. We had two different winners of the Premier League/SPL between 1985 and 2020. Fair enough we had a new winner last year, but they are a phoenix club stemming from one of those two clubs.

During the same time period 9 different clubs have finished as best of the rest - whether that be 2nd or 3rd. Maybe, just maybe, trying to do something to close the gap and make things less of a foregone conclusion could help make the league more marketable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 28 May 10:42

The newspapers seem to think a three division set up is envisaged.

The top tier (A Super League) would encompass the biggest clubs outwith the present Premiership added to the top tier so Kilmarnock and ourselves would be a shoe in (as was proposed in 1989).

The third tier would be Scotland`s part time community clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 28 May 12:38

Would be a shoo-in? What about Ross County, Kilmarnock, Raith, Falkirk, Inverness CT?

I'd doubt this will ever happen as expanding the league means less OF derbies and few money spinner games against the OF for the other teams. Completely disagree with that but money talks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Fri 28 May 12:47

My understanding of his comments are that basically the game needs to change. It’s true what he is saying since the spl-Sfl merged back together there has been very little change.
Not because it is working but because there is no continuity in progression and development of the product.

Scottish football is let’s be honest boring. Playing the same teams 4 times a season is crap. That was brought in simply because of old firm.

If you look at English football nobody really bothered about the championship and 1st division years ago, they developed their game and sponsors to increase prize monies which outstrips anything we could hope for. Now they can attract high quality sponsors for all competitions. While we have been left behind.
Scottish football needs a complete over haul. Money needs shared better. If you share prize money more evenly then your going to get a better competitive product. If you don’t then your just simply not going to progress.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net