DAFC.net
Home 17 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 player update
Topic Originator: sixnil  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:03

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Player_Update_&ID=13149

Post Edited (Mon 31 May 09:04)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: player update
Topic Originator: Scottn4312  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:04

Update

Post Edited (Mon 31 May 09:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:05

Looks like we will definitely be in the market for a keeper then.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:06

Cammy Gill, can't help but feel that may be an opportunity lost.

Never really got an opportunity to be the number 1 or did he given the amount of time he was here?

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:15

Thought Gill was pretty unfairly done by the previous season, had one bad performance at Tannadice (how many of our players could you say that about) then got dropped. Definitely had talent, not sure if he was going to be big enough to be a top GK though.

As for the players not included in the list, Whittaker, Martin and Edwards seems we must've offered them something?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:16

Quote:

StevenPar77, Mon 31 May 09:06

Cammy Gill, can't help but feel that may be an opportunity lost.

Never really got an opportunity to be the number 1 or did he given the amount of time he was here?

We have had numerous managers that never felt he was good enough. When they came in they all signed a keeper.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:16

So does that mean the likes of Whittaker/Edwards etc have been offered deals?

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:17

Take it Lewis Martin has been offered a new deal then

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:19

Feel a bit for Cammy, should have been loaned out a long time ago for first team experience but a club of our size and with financial can’t have 4 keepers on the books so has largely been out in the wilderness.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:19

Edwards was announced as a 2 year deal, with the option of an additional year. We exercised Comrie’s extra year option last year and didn’t announce it. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same.

Hopefully Lewis Martin will sign up and can get/stay fit. I like him as a player, but his fitness issues concern me. Grant already alluded to the fact he wanted to keep Whittaker, which wasn’t a surprise.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:23

If we keep Whittaker we can’t play him in the middle of the park in a 2 he is far too slow, Paul Paton got slagged off for it the season before and it was clearly obvious why we were getting overrun in the midfield again last season because of the lack of pace

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:25

Martin needs to be on a pay as you play deal although pointless as wouldn’t be a first choice. He might get a 3 month deal to see how he gets on.

Rumours abound McGill will sign for saracens.

Well he wasn’t a footballer that’s for sure!

If mcmanus and o’hara move on as per the rumours then grant will certain be able to make it his team.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:38

I felt it was lack of physicality, organisation and an inability to retain possession that were the reasons our midfield was overrun at times and not lack of pace.No continuity in team selection was also a factor and trying to put square pegs in round holes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 31 May 09:59

The first 4 or 5 games it looked to work well.

McInroy and Turner looked full of energy and having an extra body in there seemed to make a huge difference, then it all seemed to go a bit flat.

Still, was night and day from previous seasons. Talking about lack of pace, and going back a bit further than Paton, it's hard to believe we actually setup 442 on a few occassions with a midfield pairing of Shiels and Wedderburn.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:03

2 year deal for Josh Edwards confirmed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:19

That’s quite a rebuilding job required, assuming the loan players don’t come back?
I would imagine we could see one of two Alloa players come in and possibly some younger lads on loan from clubs like Celtic?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:29

I wonder if we could get Henderson back from Celtic?

Big task for Grant but hopefully we can push on with some permanent team members as having so many loanees means rebuilding each year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:30

An annual rebuild seems to be a common theme. Including loans we have made over 50 signings in the last 3 seasons! In many cases it was outwith our control but it isn`t conducive to a successful team unfortunately.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:32

Have to feel sorry for Gill - last season he was a victim of Crawford`s constant chop and change strategy and was dropped just as he seemed to be coming on to a bit of form if memory serves correctly. AJ was a terrible man manager by all accounts and extremely stubborn hence his final season so not surprised he never got a look during those times. OFW has been a bit underwhelming from what I`ve seen and I would have rather seen us take a risk on Cammy and give him a go during this season. GK is a position managers are notoriously stubborn on though and, as others have said, he should have been out on loan.

Would have like to see Turner given a chance under Grant and Murray stay but the others I wasn`t so bothered about tbh.

Post Edited (Mon 31 May 10:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:34

"given a chance "..Both were offered a deal, both rejected.. BYE

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: obiwanyouknowme  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:37

From the players that are leaving it’s only really Turner and Murray however in the grand scheme of things Turner only really played a handful of games.

Sorry to see Cammy go, great lad and always happy to chat when I see him, hope he gets something sorted

So we have 16 signed players and we have 2 players unknown Martin and Whittaker. So potentially a squad of 18 to build on.

Post Edited (Mon 31 May 10:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:49

Folk say Cammy Gill never got a chance to establish himself but he didn`t look convincing when he did play. I remember Andy Goram raving about him when he did some coaching at the Pars but, like a lot of our young players, he hasn`t fulfilled his potential. Coaches and managers see them in training and judge whether they are good enough to progress. Good luck to the guy; it`s time to move on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Mon 31 May 10:53

"An annual rebuild seems to be a common theme."

thats what happens as clubs can only offer relatively short term deals and players dont want anything more than 1 or 2 years, remember had to release 17 players last year due to the pandemic.

"No continuity in team selection was also a factor and trying to put square pegs in round holes." in the middle of the park, whitts, mayo, wilson all had spells injured or suspended remember, including covering the right back position when Comrie was injured for a month or so, Turner decision was made for reasons guess we will never know but thats the manager at the times decision and club stood by that as they should have.

Think PG has got the squad summed up about rite when he said it looks a little unbalanced in some areas, for me i dont think there was a natural 2 u could play together in a old school 4-4-2, then i was never sure was a natural 2 in a striking partnership with kevin and declan,

Murray would have liked to have stayed yes, but is he replaceable? Yes course he is.

Turner has been long gone really.

Gill..... has had enough chances over the years and tbh i dont see a massive difference in him ability or physically in the last 2 or 3 years

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Mon 31 May 11:01

Big round 0 appearances for Cammy Gill last season, even when OFW was making mistakes week on week and SC was chopping and changing everybody else. Don`t think there`s much substance to saying "he was underwhelming" when he only got a run of 4/5 games - takes a good bit more time than that to get used to a defence. How can a keeper develop if he`s not given first team football or sent out? Victim of poor management from both AJ and SC.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 31 May 11:05

I can't see why people want Turner back, yes he was starting to look one of our better players, but he obviously done something wrong to upset Crawford , which upset the balance of the team. From that point on our season was finished.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 May 11:07

We had to keep Gill last season for cover and to occupy the bench. The season before he was playing in the reserve league. Makes you wonder if the reserve league is worthwhile as he would have been better served out on loan in that time imo.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Mon 31 May 11:08

it isnt as big a rebuild as in recent years with around 9 of the "regular" starting XI under contract. looking at 7 signings for the first team imo assuming Whittaker and Martin are not here.

"Big round 0 appearances for Cammy Gill last season"

started 3 games last season. whether it was our choice or his, Gill needs to go and play, isnt good enough imo and the question now is what do you replace him with, a number 1 and drop OFW? more of a challenger to OFW? or a young backup? we will need a third keeper also on the books.

the talks with Whittaker will start with are you retiring seeing as he was going to make that decision at the end of the season.

Post Edited (Mon 31 May 11:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 May 11:26

Topic Originator: GJS93 like | nolike
Date: Mon 31 May 11:08

it isnt as big a rebuild as in recent years with around 9 of the "regular" starting XI under contract.

On the whole the starting XI didn`t perform well enough and some of them will need to be replaced if we have aspirations of improving.In some cases competition for places would be welcome. For me the likes of Dom Thomas, who has undoubted ability, underwhelmed for the majority of the season and would maybe have got a fright if someone was snapping at his heels for a game.

Topic Originator: PARS207 like | nolike
Date: Mon 31 May 10:53

"An annual rebuild seems to be a common theme."

thats what happens as clubs can only offer relatively short term deals and players dont want anything more than 1 or 2 years, remember had to release 17 players last year due to the pandemic.

Of the 17 players released who would we likely have kept anyway? Ashcroft perhaps but his form wasn`t great and even that`s debatable as we brought in Watson a few weeks later and already had Murray. A large portion of them were youth players who had been playing in the reserves.

I get that we are hampered by only being able to offer short term deals but of those that have come and gone the vast majority have not gone onto a higher level or left for more money they just haven`t done the business.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hammy  
Date:   Mon 31 May 11:40

I don't have the patience at the moment to list who we have left, but its seems like a very bare bones squad that Grant has left, it's a very difficult job that he has taken on, here's hoping though. A bit later
Did a wee bit of work and it looks as if we would have a half decent team with just 3 reserves, don't shoot me down just pondering what we need, I see comments like " a miracle".

Post Edited (Mon 31 May 12:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 31 May 12:12

Wouldn't say its a bare bones squad, we have a first team GK (as GJS said probably need a couple new goalkeepers so we have 3), a full defensive line that just needs 1 or 2 players to come in and reinforce it.

Midfield is where Grant will have to be busy, Wilson is the only real first team central player left on the books with Allan and Todd being the young prospects. Will they be able to make the step up? Going by how our previous youth players have done, it seems unlikely but you never know.

Wings we have Dow and Thomas, but not sure when Dow will be back from his injury, we probably need a couple of players there. Up front we're pretty well covered with McManus, O'hara, Wighton and McCann.

Main thing is we need to bring in some real quality in midfield to dominate possession and create chances, also chip in with some goals. If you look at all the teams that get promoted out of this league they tend to have very solid players in the centre of the park which is something we havent managed to get since coming back to the championship.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Mon 31 May 12:22

Last year there wasn't anyone I'd have kept and tbh the same goes this year as well. Murray was average defendant at best and if he doesn't want to stay that's fine by me. Turner hardly romped it at airdrie and the same boat if he doesn't want to be here let him go.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Mon 31 May 12:36

if you had to pick Edward's,Turner or Murray then Edwards for me he improved last season and is the most likely to get a decent transfer fee.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 16:06

I think whoever is responsible has done not too badly with the contracts. You`ll never get everyone to agree on individual players but I think that on the whole fans will go along with who we have kept and not be too bothered about those leaving. You would think that SC will have had some input on lengths of contract so credit to him. It now opens the door for Peter Grant to put his stamp on the squad. We need around 6 players and maybe a couple of loan signings. He says he wants to avoid bringing in players of the same standard or poorer than those already here. It`s a good intention so best of luck to him with that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 17:28

Will there be a reserve league this season.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 20:14

If the season started tomorrow, we could field a decent enough XI so I don`t think the rebuild is massive: (4-2-3-1) OFW; Comrie, Watson, Gasputis, Edwards; Whittaker, Wilson; Dow, Wighton, Thomas; O`Hara. Subs: Martin, Todd, McCann, McManus. Ideally, we need more depth in every area but it isn`t like we have to go out and sign a whole new team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 20:29

One of the issues last season was a weak bench in terms of players that could change the game or see the game out.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 20:38

That 11 isn’t the worst Kelty, I doubt it would get us top 4 however.

Centre of the park is an obvious one that we haven’t been able to
Solve for years now.

I think at alloa grant mainly played 442 didn’t he?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net