DAFC.net
Home 21 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Does the average fan understand football?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:01

I`m not sure if the term "average fan" applies to most of us, but I`ll illustrate my question with a couple of examples.

On hearing that Peter Grant had been appointed as the Pars new manager, a Celtic supporting pal of mine was quick to stick the knife in. "Peter Grant? Never liked him as a player. Celtic fans nicknamed him Peter the Pointer." And yet, according to Wiki, Grant made 362 appearances for Celtic from 1982-1997. A number of Celtic managers must have rated him rather more highly than my mate and some of his fellow fans.

Such contrasting opinions are probably commonplace at all clubs. Take Billy Kirkwood. He came to the Pars from Dundee Utd, towards the end of his career. Wiki says he`d made 261 appearances in two spells at Tannadice, other side of a short spell at Hibs, where he played 26 times. His spell at the Pars was not a happy one, imo. He seemed to always be within 20 yards of the ball for almost the full 90 mins, but rarely got a touch. Many of our fans were constantly on his back. Jim Leishman defended Kirkwood in the press and said that fans who didn`t like him (Kirkwood) didn`t understand football.

Did he have a point?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Does the average fan understand football?
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:21

He does, but sometimes I think there’s a snobbery towards fans from players and staff assuming fans “don’t know the game”. Just because some fans don’t get it doesn’t mean that ALL fans don’t get it. Why not spend more time explaining the why rather than being dismissive. Sometimes football coaches try and make things far too difficult almost like it’s creating a science. It’s a simple game for simple people, but we ain’t stupid.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:21

I wouldn't say I know any more or less than the average fan GG, But I could never understand Adam Hammill getting praise from everyone at EEP while Jim O'brien hardly got noticed

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:22

Interesting point.....

I don’t profess to know a lot about football.

Example F. El Bakhtaoui. 2015-16

Every thing he touched went in the net. He had great service & probably had 3-4 chances a game, Cardle & Paton on the supply line. Confidence was sky-high.

2018-19.

Okay it was a higher league but Faz was a ghost of the 2015-16 season. His confidence was shot, he progressively got more desperate.

IMO - Fans don’t take external factors into play such as changes of personnel & playing style. It does make a difference.

‘A Celtic supporting pal of mine’ = “Asking for a friend” 😉

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:33

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Wed 2 Jun 10:21

I wouldn't say I know any more or less than the average fan GG, But I could never understand Adam Hammill getting praise from everyone at EEP while Jim O'brien hardly got noticed

That's quite a good example. O'Brien used to put in a power of work, was up and down pitch doing 'doggies' and always double back to help his fullback which largely went unnoticed while Hamill did the Harlem Globetrotter stuff which caught folks attention.

I'd say Ian Wilson this season was a good example. I really liked look of him but he seemed to divide opinion yet i think when folk like that aren't playing it makes it apparent how much they actually contribute and are missed.

Also a lot of it comes down to our culture in general. We have had lots of punters who'd happily criticise the likes of Moffat and Nicky Clark and brand them as 'lazy' because they didn't run around a lot, chase lost causes and pick up silly yellow cards.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:34

I think football is a lot about emotion and what with the wonders of modern technology, it is perhaps a little too easy to transfer those emotions into cyberspace (instantaneously). This, I’m sure, is a big factor in many of the more colourful and radical opinions we see (here).

It may also be a bit like driving ..... if only everyone was as good a driver as me, the roads would be a much better place (tongue firmly in cheek). Likewise, in our own personal space, we can be quite incredulous at the failings of those who have the privilege of wearing our team’s colours .... or indeed managing our team.

What I do think may also be interpreted into Jim Lieshman’s comments are that quite a lot of fans, perhaps most, do not really have a sufficient understanding of the actual rules of the game? More than once I’ve been out my seat offering the ref the benefit of my informed opinion, followed the next day by a pretty hoarse throat. I suspect that there might be the odd occasion where my emotions have got the better of me, and maybe the ref was just doing his job?

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 10:41

I was speaking to my brother in law about Peter Grant the other night - he’s a Celtic season ticket holder - he says he took a lot of stick from the support but whenever he was out injured or suspended the team (and in particular Paul McStay) really struggled.

I agree with you about Billy Driftwood though 😂

Dundee improved dramatically this season when they brought Sean Byrne back into the team - he was very quiet and unfussy but allowed Charlie Adam to concentrate on his strengths.

Listening to some pundits I’d question how knowledgeable one players are themselves about football.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 11:36

Sport is about opinions, now because someone doesn’t agree with you does that mean they don’t know what they are talking about? No it just means they see things in a slightly different way!

If one person says they don’t rate a player and another says they do, neither are wrong they just have different perceptions and different expectations.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 11:40

The above is true in some cases but the original posters point is valid. I’m come across some people who have baffled me with their assessments of players. Off the ball activity can be just as/even more important than on the ball stuff and will go unnoticed a lot.

For example, a player may have a rotten time of it whilst on the ball throughout a game but his positioning etc off it is allowing the team to play better.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 12:30

"I wouldn`t say I know any more or less than the average fan GG, But I could never understand Adam Hammill getting praise from everyone at EEP while Jim O`brien hardly got noticed"

Jim O`Brien was a fantastic player. That was the best wing pairing I think I`ve seen at East End. Hammill was probably noticed more because he was a flair player as well as a decent winger.

Based on the opening post that must mean everyone I`ve spoken to about McBurnie doesn`t understand football. No one seems to rate him but he cost Sheff Utd over £15m and was one of their leading front men. Personally, I feel McBurnie is good for holding the ball but unfortunately doesn`t score enough goals, lacks pace and consistency. He has ability but when we played Serbia, you could see a massive difference when we brought Dykes off and brought him on. Confidence could come into that though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 13:00

We all have our own opinions and biases - that`s players and managers.

The only place where I think some fans are lacking in understanding is that some can`t make a reasonable judgement of what is actually possible in a given situation. The one that irritates me most is when folk are going mental wanting a player to shoot, when it`s pretty clear that they`re trying to work the space for a shot but that the defenders close it down and don`t allow it.

I`d agree that there`s a snobbishness from those in the game, which seems based on a premise of `you`ve never played the game so you can`t possibly understand`. While it obviously wouldn`t do any harm to have spent time on the pitch playing at a decent level, I don`t think you need to have been a player to understand the game well. And some who have played, and who are now paid to talk about it, give a strong impression that they don`t really understand it. It was interesting watching the documentary about Alan Hansen`s career, in particular the comments from his brother who also played senior football. His brother was pretty clear that he didn`t have any real tactical understanding despite having played at that level, while Alan Hansen could analyse a game tactically quite easily.

There`s also the case of Arrigo Sacchi, manager of one of the best Milan teams ever despite never playing professional football. As the man himself said, “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 13:13

Pars fans have to be the harshest going.

How many players have left us to do well elsewhere? Quite a few. Okay, quite a few have faded into obscurity too, but it is concerning to see how well some of our "duds" have done after leaving.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 13:18

Quote:

AJ27, Wed 2 Jun 10:41

I was speaking to my brother in law about Peter Grant the other night - he’s a Celtic season ticket holder - he says he took a lot of stick from the support but whenever he was out injured or suspended the team (and in particular Paul McStay) really struggled.

I agree with you about Billy Driftwood though 😂

Dundee improved dramatically this season when they brought Sean Byrne back into the team - he was very quiet and unfussy but allowed Charlie Adam to concentrate on his strengths.

Listening to some pundits I’d question how knowledgeable one players are themselves about football.

I was thinking something similar reading the Jack Grealish thread. Maybe it's McGinns work that is allowing Grealish the freedom to create.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 13:37

The fan experience in general is way different to that of the manager and coaches on the touchline.
Fans tend to follow the ball without looking at what’s going on off the ball such as players making dummy runs, defenders and midfielders covering each other and making sure we’re covered all over the park when we lose possession.
The manager and staff have to do all of that in seconds to assess outcomes plus they have the added benefit of seeing these players every day in training and what they bring to the team in terms of morale, confidence and experience.
Of course some fans are totally clueless and in my time like the sound of their voices too much but many are also very knowledgeable about the game and must get very frustrated at the ‘erseholes’ week in week out.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 14:13

Without wishing to pontificate in any way, but I think that playing competitive football does give you a different perspective on the game. I played for 15 years, albeit at a good amateur/lower junior standard and although that`s nowhere near scottish championship, it`s still competitive. As a result I`ll rarely criticise a player. Ex players of any level will know that an easy pass isn`t always an easy pass, mistakes happen, you can try your socks off and still play sh*te, effort doesn`t always translate into a good performance, some days everything comes off, other days nothing does and sometimes the opposition are just better. Not saying that 15 years as an enthusiastic amateur makes me a world authority but it doesn`t half get my goat when I hear a fan screaming at a player or their own team when it`s highly likely that they`ve never played much beyond the 5 aside court and have actually no idea what it`s like to be on a pitch facing 11 good players. It`s nowhere near as easy as it looks is the point I`m trying to make.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 14:59

This ^ is spot on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 16:05

I think I`m particularly knowledgeable about the game, that`s why I generally keep my opinions to myself and keep quiet when people are talking sheer drivel.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 16:17

Very interesting the point about Paton. I really thought his dead balls skills were dreadful. Yet was seen as feeding Faz for his glory season. I used to fixate on how he couldn’t get the ball over the first man.
Looking back I was wondering what the ratio of other players having the same issue. Was it me who unfairly focussed on the first man ability or was there a genuine issue in his ability to hit a dead ball. I think we all get a definition of what we want and when we don’t get it we are disappointed. However if Paton hits a great ball and we score would I have noticed?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 16:26

I would say the vast majority of us don't have a clue- and I include myself in that.
The main problem at East End Park is that the folk with the least clue also seem to have the loudest voices and the least self awareness. You will constantly hear folk shouting at the ref for not giving offsides at throw-ins, giving abuse to players that were not even involved, or in one occasion wasn't actually on the park. Idiotic shouts of the "that's nivvir ten yairds" brigade.
Unfortunately in life it seems the emptiest vessels make the most noise
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 16:51

I think the average fan knows when a team is playing well or badly but doesn`t always know why (and I would include myself in that category). There are a number of posters on here who enjoy the tactics of the game and it is always interesting to read their analyses. Whether they would be successful as coaches or managers is a moot point though.

On the question of corner kicks beating the first man, I would think that, if that was the sole purpose of a corner, most professional players would achieve it 9 times out of 10. When they don`t, couldn`t it be because they are aiming for a team-mate making a run to the near post which doesn`t materialise?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 17:00

Great Post 1985par

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 18:02

Was it Paton who teed up Faissal for the bicycle kick at Ayr United?

My memory was he was very good technically but just didn't seem to have any pace; again just an opinion.

As someone mentioned earlier certain players just polarize opinion but i guess that's what makes football great. Growing up as a laddie i could never see for the life of me how Darren Jackson got as far in the game as he did. Looked bang average yet ended up getting a couple of years at Celtic and played in a World Cup.....

Roll forward to the current day and i do not see the fuss over Raheem Sterling. At that level he's operating at and the position he plays (and positions he gets in during games) his shooting/finishing is woeful. Appreciate there are multiple other things he excels at but just surprises me, especially with such a demanding manager, that it's never sonething he has improved on.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 18:16

I think the two salient points from this thread are from 1985Par and AJ27

Yes it helps greatly if you have played at any level, Amateur.. Junior.. Senior as 1985Par points out to actually understand why the round bouncy thing does not always do as its supposed to do

Also some fans never realise what a particular player is actually contributing to the team until he is absent for whatever reason as AJ27 pointed out about PG then they don`t perform as well without him

My pet hate is when a player breaks away and decides to shoot and misses... then the forward who was 2 yards too late behind the action raises his arms in disbelieve that the ball was not passed to him

Post Edited (Wed 02 Jun 18:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 18:25

No!
Football management even less.

Post Edited (Wed 02 Jun 18:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par1957  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 19:12

Something a lot of (us) fans forget is the view the player gets from pitch level. A pass that looks simple from the middle of the stand can be not even an option from the players perspective. How often have looked at a different view later on highlights and realised that what looked easy wasn`t.
One thing that many fans miss altogether is the player that closes down space and stops breakaways, passes and runs of the opposition but may not often touch the ball as a result of these activities.
Just a couple of thoughts from a new poster.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 19:24

Was always a pleasure to watch Moffat, great player,made the team tick.

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parnott  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 22:01

I used to like Alex Burke, a lot of our play went through him as he always was willing to take the ball and look for a pass. He did lose it on occasion and would get absolute pelters from folk but I generally felt we were poorer without him. I'm sure he scored a worldie against Dundee (i think)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 22:20

Great post's highlighting player's perspective and we often forget that. Even when playing as a kid, quite often trying something out and it goes tits up.
True as well about awareness of others movements. The game now you get closed down quick and we in the stand would see different as we can see all 23 people on the pitch (19 if we are playing peterhead) and see a few potential options but the player goes for one we disagree with and we get on their backs. me i know sweet FA. Enjoy reading a few in depth analysis post's from some on here. Stanza, GG and others.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 22:32

The initial post just says the poster doesn’t understand football tbh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 22:51

Topic Originator: Parnott
Date: Wed 2 Jun 22:01

I used to like Alex Burke, a lot of our play went through him as he always was willing to take the ball and look for a pass. He did lose it on occasion and would get absolute pelters from folk but I generally felt we were poorer without him. I`m sure he scored a worldie against Dundee (i think)

I was reading an article about Riyad Mahrez the other day. St Mirren had him on trial for a month and he scored 7 goals in 4 bounce games but they never offered him a contract as he was too lightweight. I had a look at St Mirrens starting XI and Burke was in there and Mehmet was their top goalscorer that season :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 22:58

There are some things that get posted on forums that are opinions and folk are always going to disagree on subjective points but there's quite a lot of opinions that get posted that are demonstrably wrong. They can be proven by stats that get tracked and are easily found by anyone that wants to have a look. The stats often don't need any real football knowledge to understand and aren't really open to subjective interpretation.

As an example when AJ was in charge he was often maligned for not being able get his teams to come from behind to win games. There are stats sites that track that kind of metric and when you looked at his record he had the third best record in the league overall and had the best away record where he was especially weak according to posts on here. The truth was there were very few teams that even managed to pick up 1 win after going behind and the main takeaway when you looked at the results was the cliche of the importance of scoring the first goal as so few points were picked up by teams going behind. Ironically another criticism of AJ was him bemoaning the importance of the first goal in interviews after we'd lost a game..

Another good example from the AJ era was a hysterical post when we were chasing a playoff position stating we were in the middle of relegation form and we were at risk of going down as our 6 game form table had us bottom of the form table and AJ should be sacked.

It just so happened that the way the games had fallen meant that we were bottom of the six game form table but when you looked at our 3,4,5,7,8,9,10 and 11, 12, 13, 14 game form tables we were mid table at worst and 2nd in the most positive table. The poster felt AJ should go which was a subjective position some would share but then tried to cherry pick the only form table to give their point validity and simply replied the 6 game form table was on Twitter and was the one they were most familiar with so it was an acceptable justification enough to sack someone.

It's one thing to argue about who should be starting a game and what formations should be played etc but there are definitely cases where folks often forth right opinions are wrong and it wouldn't take much reading to know they were wrong.

It would be harsh to say getting something wrong once meant you didn't know what you were talking about when it comes to football but when you see the same mistake being repeated and it's often so obviously wrong then..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 23:09

I used to enjoy lots of people commenting that Gary Mason was a really underrated player, despite the fact that every one seemed to rate him and would have had him in the team.

Alex Burke was a really good footballer. I think he frustrated some fans as he`d lost any pace that he once had. Maybe they thought we were getting a tricky winger and were disappointed that he "only" turned out to be a tidy midfielder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 23:25

I don't think Mason ever got the credit that Nicholson did and was underrated in the respect he never quite got the same plaudits others in more attacking roles got in what was one of our best performing top flight teams ever.

Nicholson was far more attacking and stood out more than Mason but Mason was as equally important in his role as Nicholson was IMO. It could well be that I'm one of those that doesn't know what they are talking about!

Second time round despite not being at the same level he was compared to when he left, I thought his contribution was even more under rated quite possibly because he was older and wasn't at the same level he was first time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 02:07

Quote:

Polt, Wed 2 Jun 22:20
Enjoy reading a few in depth analysis post's from some on here. Stanza, GG and others.

Thanks, but you're perhaps mixing me up with Socks!

You're not likely to see any informed or incisive analysis from me about tactics, formations etc. My eyes glaze over at diamonds and false nines, with players strolling around passing across the park - I long for 2-3-5 and the W-M formations of my youth, so managers like Dick Campbell are too cerebral and forward thinking for my taste.

All a team really needs is a good goalie, a solid centre-half and a brave centre-forward. A couple of little jinky wingers is a bonus.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 09:25

Quote:

Stanza, Thu 03 Jun 02:07

Quote:

Polt, Wed 2 Jun 22:20
Enjoy reading a few in depth analysis post's from some on here. Stanza, GG and others.

Thanks, but you're perhaps mixing me up with Socks!

You're not likely to see any informed or incisive analysis from me about tactics, formations etc. My eyes glaze over at diamonds and false nines, with players strolling around passing across the park - I long for 2-3-5 and the W-M formations of my youth, so managers like Dick Campbell are too cerebral and forward thinking for my taste.

All a team really needs is a good goalie, a solid centre-half and a brave centre-forward. A couple of little jinky wingers is a bonus.

Aye Socks was who I meant, I'm sure I've made that same mistake before.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 11:21

I think your philosophy on the game is a lot more sound than you are giving yourself credit for Stanza.

Rewind to GG’s original post .... all fans understand the game in their own way, and that’s all that really matters :)

Maybe.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 12:58

The joy of football is that it has so many variables does anybody fully understand it at times?

Some have greater understanding than others of course and I do think playing or being around the game for a period of time assists with that. I bet even the top managers and players would probably tell you that they are still learning? Even they make howlers or have difference of opinions. Sir Alex Ferguson signed Eric Djemba Djemba for Man Utd, a few years later he couldn`t get a game for St Mirren and was released. Does anybody understand that?

The difference is that fans have the benefit of hindsight and don`t have to physically perform the actions or rely on team-mates to help them do their job.

Football and this place would be pretty boring if everybody thought the same thing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 14:54

I'm flattered and honoured to be bracketed with such a knowledgeable poster as Socks, but EEP's analysis that I know next to nothing about football is probably much nearer the mark.

Some excellent posts and views expressed on this thread all the same. I agree that some coaches (and players) think that most fans don't understand the finer points and they are probably right. A few, like our own Socks, have a good tactical insight and would perhaps make good coaches themselves.

Most of us, as said further up, tend to follow the ball, so we miss the work some players do off the ball. That would explain why I and many other Pars fans, had such a low opinion of Billy Kirkwood, who won a League Championship medal and 2 League Cup medals at Tannadice.

We all tend to idolise goalscorers and skilful technical players, resulting in more defensive players being under appreciated, even though they perform equally important roles in a team set up.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 16:05

Quote:

parathletic, Thu 3 Jun 12:58Some have greater understanding than others of course and I do think playing or being around the game for a period of time assists with that. I bet even the top managers and players would probably tell you that they are still learning? Even they make howlers or have difference of opinions. Sir Alex Ferguson signed Eric Djemba Djemba for Man Utd, a few years later he couldn`t get a game for St Mirren and was released. Does anybody understand that?

Similarly Istvan Kozma who couldn't tie his bootlaces according to some Scousers!🤔😷
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 14:08

I don`t carry the argument that someone who has played football knows more than someone who hasn`t.

It is quite clear footballer generally tend to play because they enjoyed playing and have skills at an early age. That doesn`t meant to say they have better understanding of the game.

Now - I used to go to EEP from the era of Harry Melrose as manager onwards. I used to cheer and boo along with everyone else - but I had no clue why that person "was a player" or "he`s ****".

I always like Ian Heddle, but he was lambasted. Same for Chirs McGroaty.

Yet Gary Mason apparently was a player because of what he did off the ball. I didn`t see that - I just saw an average player who ran about a bit.

In a similar vein Kozma was a great, and yet I only saw a lazy player with a good touch and teh occasional flashes of brilliance.

Fast forward a few years and I did my SFA coaching badges whilst coaching my kids team. I learned so much on the art of setting up formations and how to defend.

I also then realised why players are picked ahead of others - take Roy Aitken for example. Not blessed with speed or skill, but boy could he play to a system and do it well.

As I write this, I don`t know where it is leading to, or indeed if it even has a point. But I guess only to say that you need a blend of players to make a team. And their in lies the issue - we all have a different opinion on what that blend is.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 15:25

You mention finding the right blend Bigfoot and I agree with you but it is also important to find consistency. This finding 75% of a team every season amd relying on loans doesn't work. That's what Stevie had to do.
Stevie done his best but still we rely on loan market. Hopefully this can change and PG can get more players signed up on better contracts (2 years at least) and become a consistent squad who have knowledge of each others strength and weaknesses.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net