DAFC.net
Home 02 August 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 England Fans Jeer Their Own Players
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 08:38

"There was a mixed reaction to England`s players continuing to take the knee before kick-off, loud jeering being matched by applause as Southgate insisted they will continue to take this public stand against racial injustice."

Whether you think taking the knee serves any purpose or not, booing players representing your own country before the kick off, is shocking.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: England Fans Jeer Their Own Players
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 08:47

Ah, but they're all woke snowflake millionaires.

I personally feel the knee has had its day and the meaning has been diluted by over use. However, I wouldn't boo or jeer anyone choosing to take it.

What people seem to miss is that the solution that will lead to stopping people having to preach about the issue of racism is simple - stop allowing racism.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 09:19

Imagine booing people kneeling for a few seconds before a football match for racism. Unfortunately there's still a massive xenophobia/racism issue throughout the UK.

Harsher penalties are needed and as a society when we see it, it must be called out and reported. You just have to look at what some of the young black athletes such as Rashford, Sterling etc get called on social media to see what an issue it is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-adise  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 09:51

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 11:21

I think our players did the correct thing by standing quietly for a few seconds. Why can't others do this?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 11:30

I don`t think it would matter one jot to these people if they took the knee, stood in silence or applauded. It`s the sentiment that they are booing?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 11:38

I hadn`t realised that England fans also booed their own players before the previous friendly international v Austria, also at the Riverside stadium. There can`t be much between the ears of these fans. Have they missed the fact a number of England players are black? They and their white team mates obviously feel it`s worth continuing with this symbolic gesture.

If I was an England player - black or white - I might be considering whether I should continue making myself available for selection, but perhaps if the players chuck it, the morons have won.

Post Edited (Mon 07 Jun 11:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 11:38

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Mon 7 Jun 11:21

I think our players did the correct thing by standing quietly for a few seconds. Why can't others do this?

Why can't people take the knee without being booed?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 12:52

The only reason taking a knee has lasted so long is because there are no fans in the grounds. If there was, then it would be getting booed every week.
Then you will get fans trying to out do each other with the booing.
It would be great if we did live in a society that wasn't racist, homophobic etc but despite all the work that's been done to educate people, a legislation against hate crime, things haven't really improved, and possibly never will. Some people just don't like people that are different to them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 13:16

The English acting like animals? You don't say
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 15:25

I would like to think if anyone at EEP booed players for taking a knee they would be ejected immediately. Before somebody gave them a slap

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 15:44

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 7 Jun 13:16

The English acting like animals? You don't say

You do realise what you just did there, eh?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 16:42

The one thing that would get the footballing authorities to stop players taking the knee immediately is if a player was to state he was kneeling to highlight the plight of Uighur Muslims in China.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 18:08

We all know what it means and until it ends long may it continue. The more fans boo....the more it needs done. As for political statement....utter bollocks. Have you missed the racial abuse the "football" and other sports professionals have been enduring?
These things normally dwindle away but this is not going to until something changes dramatically. Absolutely no need in this day and age.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 18:47

Quote:

Polt, Mon 7 Jun 18:08

We all know what it means and until it ends long may it continue. The more fans boo....the more it needs done. As for political statement....utter bollocks. Have you missed the racial abuse the "football" and other sports professionals have been enduring?
These things normally dwindle away but this is not going to until something changes dramatically. Absolutely no need in this day and age.

This. And it goes beyond black people. There's no place in society for any form of racism or bigotry. Sticks in the craw the like of Rangers claiming to be doing all they can to tackle bigotry whilst launching ANOTHER orange shirt.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 19:59

The worrying thing is, all the media attention and taking the knee could well be causing the opposite affect to what it is trying to do. The more and more some people are told to do something, the more they will rebel. I have never seen atmospheres so hostile between white and black people or heard so many footballers getting racial abuse on social media as I have heard recently. I am not a racist/sexist/homophobe but I do feel like every time I switch on sky sports these days all I hear about are these topics. Personally I cannot understand why anyone would have an issue with someone they do not know`s lifestyle or colour but I guess the sad issue is, some people do and they are the people who need to be educated. Perhaps there is a better way though?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 7 Jun 20:31

Players can take the knee… stand… sit down or whatever they want.
It doesn’t bother me one bit… just seeing fans in a stadium and getting back to normal football is great!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 06:36

Here`s why they do it - allegedly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

I remain firmly unconvinced.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parnott  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 08:07

It reminds me a bit of the Clapping for the NHS during the pandemic.

It's not to say the healthcare staff weren't worthy recipients. You could argue after battling covid 19 for nearly 18 months we should be even more grateful for them now and keep the tiny gesture going but its long forgotten. It felt politically motivated to an extent unfortunately.

Racism and prejudice are easily a bigger issue but Im not convinced taking the knee is the answer. I'm sure the Scottish Rugby didnt do it in the 6 nations (I'm unaware of their rationale) but it didnt seem to cause much of a furore.

Non racist people (the vast majority) performing a non racist gesture wont convert racists unfortunately. If anthing it seems to be stoking more antagonism. Clearly we need to try something but Im not sure what. :-(
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 09:05

Obviously taking the knee isn't the answer to racial inequality, and I don't see anyone claiming that it is.

It is, though, a big neon arrow pointing at the question, as is shown by this discussion about it now.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parnear  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 10:34

I’m surprised nobody has gone down injured doing it!

Bail out
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 13:36

Quote:

Parnear, Tue 08 Jun 10:34

I’m surprised nobody has gone down injured doing it!

Give Martin Boyle a chance.... Still time yet!

Regardless what started it, it's had a better effect than the show racism the red card campaign. As people are reacting and highlighting it which leads to media discussing it which is more than the show racism the red card ever achieved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 14:10

"Regardless what started it, it`s had a better effect than the show racism the red card campaign"

It hasn`t though. More racist trolling than ever.

The only people it`s having the desired effect for is the perpetrators of the abuse themselves. They`ve got the platform, the publicity and the reaction they want.
It`s only serving to exacerbate the problem.

There`s a minority of the population who like saying hurtful things to others, and always will, whether that be racist or otherwise - like the group of our own fans who took great glee in reminding the steward at Forfar a few years ago for 90 minutes how fat and ginger he was. They`re loving this. This only empowers them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Thu 10 Jun 07:57

I’d say there’s a problem with the gesture when you have black players questioning the act of kneeling. It’s probably now dividing opinions and hence the overreactions of a sizeable minority of the crowd. I certainly don’t condone their actions but any negative reaction suggests there’s an issue. It’s really up to the authorities to move this on and focus on addressing racism in the game. Given the recent racist episodes between players on the pitch there doesn’t seem to be much evidence of practicing what they preach.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 10 Jun 18:29

Don’t think it’s more racism, think it’s more racism being reported
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Thu 10 Jun 23:54

Quote:

DBP, Thu 10 Jun 18:29

Don’t think it’s more racism, think it’s more racism being reported

Exactly this.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 06:37

Whether or not Taking the Knee is effective or has had its day is a separate issue, imo. Assuming the England players want to keep doing it, rather than being in any way coerced, why shouldn`t they be free to make the gesture without being jeered and booed by their own fans? It`s absolutely bizarre.

Some people on this thread appear to be making excuses for the morons who did it (twice) and even the BBC report suggested that the boos and jeers (of a minority) were quickly drowned out by the applause of the majority. It didn`t sound like it on the clip I heard and even if it`s true, reprehensible behaviour by a minority does not make it any less so.

Can we assume that players taking the knee before domestic games next season will be similarly jeered and that no one will do anything about it because "it`s only a minority"?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 09:37

Scotland players won`t be `taking the knee` during the Euros apparently so that will provide an interesting contrast when we play England at Wembley.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 10:34

Yes, the "do nothing against racism" approach.

What if they start booing that as well?

Can`t upset the racists now, can we.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 11:46

Personally, I think Scotland are making the right decision here. Whilst I completely back groups who are trying to eradicate racism, my own view is the knee has become a bit clichéd and people are getting fed up with it. This is no excuse for booing. What I'd rather see is proper action to tackle racism.

For example, if someone at EEP were to be singing a racist song, I would expect them to firstly be removed from the stadium but also potentially banned unless they were willing to undertake some diversity awareness. This may already be in place or it may be considered OTT, but there need to be clear repercussions. I'd apply the same to bigotry, and that would include some of our own fans, unfortunately.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 12:15

Scotland made the decision to stop taking the knee as far back as March and made the reasons clear at the time with no real stooshy.

I expect with the England it will be twisted into something unnecessary or result in pressure where they have to backtrack from something they have done at multiple matches already.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 12:16

Yeah and if I assume the BME players and staff in the Scotland camp were consulted about whether to take a stand or kneel, then that is an end to the matter.
Might be an idea just for the players to line up before the kick off with a banner against racism.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 14:43

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 11 Jun 12:16

Yeah and if I assume the BME players and staff in the Scotland camp were consulted about whether to take a stand or kneel, then that is an end to the matter.
Might be an idea just for the players to line up before the kick off with a banner against racism.

Alternatively they could just do a normal warm up, line up for the anthems and get on with the football
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 15:30

Scotland have now decided to take the knee for the match at Wembley. Here`s the statement from Steve Clarke:-

"Our position was - and remains - that the focus must be on meaningful change to fight discrimination in football and wider society. I am aware that some individuals and groups have sought to politicise or misrepresent the Scotland national team position on taking a stand against racism and all forms of discriminatory behaviour in our Uefa Euro 2020 matches and, in particular, for our visit to Wembley.

"For the avoidance of doubt: me, my coaching staff, my players and my backroom team take a stand against racism and all forms of unacceptable and discriminatory behaviour across society. We do so to raise awareness of the ongoing problem but also as a reminder to those who have the ultimate power and responsibility to implement meaningful change. We will continue to take a stand - together, as one - for our matches at Hampden Park. For our match at Wembley, we will stand against racism and kneel against ignorance."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 16:32

Seems to be a bit of muddle. Either do it for all matches or don`t. We`ll take a knee when we are facing England but not when we face the Czechs.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 16:55

Not really. We`re at home in the other two games, so will stand against it.

We`ll go along with the gesture that England are making in the game at Wembley so as not to give the appearance that we are at odds with them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 11 Jun 17:38

Since there have been right wing Tories trying to drive a wedge between the English and Scottish players’ response, I can understand Stevie Clarke and the squad wishing to close any perceived gap. It wouldn’t surprise me to discover that the Scottish government had been in contact with the SFA over the matter. A sensible compromise I think, one that avoids the nightmare vision of Farage and Piers Morgan draped in saltires, cheering on Scotland against ‘woke’ England.

There is though a linguistic problem with the concept of ‘taking the knee,’ one which Clarke couldn’t avoid when saying that Scotland would ‘stand against racism and kneel against ignorance.’ ‘Standing against’ something you disapprove of is a well known phrase and means you are committed to a course of action. ‘Kneeling down’ has a very different meaning and is associated with bowing to a greater power, which confuses the message when the targets are racism and bigotry. I think the original Scottish decision to stand full height in silent solidarity gave out a much clearer message.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 06:59

At least we now know that racist morons are not confined to Teesside. From the BBC website:-

"Boos from a "large number" of fans were drowned out by "loud and prolonged applause" when England`s players took the knee before their opening Euro 2020 game with Croatia at Wembley Stadium.

The Football Association had asked fans to respect the players` wishes over the gesture to highlight racial injustice.

Boos on Sunday were met by an ovation from other members of the 22,500 crowd.

Before Euro 2020, England boss Gareth Southgate said his players were "more determined than ever" to take the knee."

Perhaps taking the knee has lost some of its impact but the players representing their country want to carry on with the gesture. If the jeering continues, they may well decide to abandon it and the boo boys will have won....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 16:48

Footballs fans have a right to boo and jeer the England team for “taking the knee” in protest at racism, the home secretary has said.

Priti Patel said the anti-racism protest associated with the Black Lives Matter movement amounted to “gesture politics” and dodged a question about whether she would boo herself.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 17:00

A Tory politician slagging off gesture politics 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 18:11

God she really can't help herself being a deplorable little scrote of a woman can she?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 19:12

Quote:

dave67, Mon 14 Jun 16:48

Footballs fans have a right to boo and jeer the England team for “taking the knee” in protest at racism, the home secretary has said.

Priti Patel said the anti-racism protest associated with the Black Lives Matter movement amounted to “gesture politics” and dodged a question about whether she would boo herself.

She has just been put up there as the establishments Uncle Tom hasn't she
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 20:06

Imagine the fury in the press if Corbyn had said it was okay to boo the England team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net