DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 FOOTBALL`S GAMBLING ADDICTION
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 16:30

This CH4 documentary, presented yesterday evening, by Ruth Davidson, the prominent Pars fan, is worth a watch.She talks with pride Of looking forward to bringing her son to East End Park.

She is a Politician who genuinely supports a club unlike eg Tony Blair or David Cameron who pretended they did.Ruth talks with pride of being the first girl in her local boys` football team.She also recalls her legs and pelvis broken when she was run over by a truck aged five and ended up in a Great War carriage to aid her spinal recovery.

She visits Swansea City FC, who have removed Gambling sponsorship from their tops, and Sunderland with their Gambling clinic, and Tranmere,who believe that clubs can be weaned off betting sponsorship eg trackside,though 80% of English clubs became dependent during the pandemic. Tranmere make money through football tourism.

The major betting firms do identify problem gamblers and intervene with timeouts,deposit limits and exclusions.Even so,one person each day commits suicide due to gambling debt.Scotland may have 20K problem gamblers.The UK Government raises £4.3b a year from gambling.The loss of Ladbrokes left a big hole in Scottish Football income.

A White Paper comes out in a few months.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: FOOTBALL`S GAMBLING ADDICTION
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 16:47

That looked quite an interesting programme, but I couldn't face watching Ruth Davidson on it. She mustn't get any back handers off any gambling companies I guess. Her pal Hancock seems to be right on the side of them.
I'm not buying the 'Pars fan' stuff either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 17:12

“Ruth the truth.” Funnily wasn’t particularly keen to “grill” the minister involved. Wonder why?

Lots of eyebrow raising stuff from her which frankly I found quite galling considering her general politics.

It was more a show of Ruth rather than actually providing real pressure against the online operators. Said companies have been allowed to operate in a dreadful manner with completely lax legislators and compliance governance not worth the paper written on. Add in a gambling commission that is weak, not fit for purpose and don’t understand the world we’re in now, recipe for disaster.

So much could have been done on this subject, but it became about her.

There a surprise….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 17:16

Has anyone ever spotted Ruth Davidson at a Pars` match?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 17:51

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 8 Jun 17:16

Yes. Saw her at a game against Forfar and also at a semi-final against Falkirk at Hampden. She was a regular before her political career. I am part of the Pars programme team. The editor asked me to find 'famous fans' for a series of articles and I was put in touch with her via a mutual friend. It was clear to me that she was a genuine fan and had been since her youth. (Wouldn't vote for her though)!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 17:54

Topic Originator: wee eck like | nolike
Date: Tue 8 Jun 17:16

There’s a joke here about “spotting” and snipers surely.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 18:25

Scary to think that most clubs probably have at least one Tory supporting them.

Grim.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 18:28

No fan of Ruthie .... but I thought the program was interesting, and I didn’t know she was a pars fan until the part of the program where she said she could hardly wait to take her son to East End Park.

The vast bulk of the program’s focus was on England, so I’m not clear if proportionally the same problem exists for Scottish clubs? Although I’m sure the same issues will exist.

Perhaps the point that stood out for me was that none of the top 4 clubs in the English Premiership have gambling companies as shirt sponsors. And, if this type of sponsorship was stopped, the clubs from the bottom half of the English Premiership would suffer a major setback and probably find it even more difficult to remain competitive with the ‘elite’.

Ruthie also admitted to gambling on football herself, something that started as relatively small/simple 50p bets but that when she found herself betting £10, £20 decided that this wasn’t right and stopped. She then went on to provide stats on the level of marketing emails and cross-betting “offers” were received from new betting accounts that were setup specifically for the documentary.

Wonder what type of pars fan she really is though? Can’t imagine her turning up with a family season ticket ..... but, what do I know?

I think that she did come across as a genuine fan of the game and has had to overcome serious injury as a child in order to play football herself. Kudos for that Ruthie.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 18:33

Ruth does attend Pars matches.

If you meet her you soon realise she is not your stereotypical Tory.

Which may explain how she was a factor in reviving Conservative fortunes in Scotland.

What surprised me most ,in the programme,was the University researchers who monitored a bread and butter match between Newcastle and Wolves and found that ,in one game,you were exposed subconsciously to 216 adverts eg the trackside ones designed for huge audiences in China and Thailand.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 18:40

"Scary to think that most clubs probably have at least one Tory supporting them."

There`ll have been plenty of Tory voters frequenting the home support at EEP over the years, long before RD made her allegiance known.

That apart, she has been elevated to the House of Lords - for doing just what exactly ?

A nice little earner - one appearance there will pay for her season ticket at EEP.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 18:42

So the Pars are without peer.......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 18:44

Gambling is far too easy nowadays but there is at least a greater appreciation of gambling addiction.

Personally see no harm in gambling provided you stick to the rule of "gamble only what you can afford to lose". However, gambling is everywhere. Do it from your phone, the corner shop, pub, bookies etc. You can even buy Lotto tickets with your Aldi or ASDA shop at the check out. They make it incredibly easy.

The vision of instantly becoming rich is obviously very appealing. The issue is the chances of winning are tiny and those on low incomes can very easily spend well beyond their means.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 19:02

Full marks to her for being a true Pars` fan. I was worried she might just be another glory hunter.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 19:11

Quote:

theparsman1885, Tue 8 Jun 17:54

Topic Originator: wee eck like | nolike
Date: Tue 8 Jun 17:16

There’s a joke here about “spotting” and snipers surely.

Yeah and you would have to be an absolute bell end to crack it

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Tue 08 Jun 19:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 19:20

That made me chuckle wee eck :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 19:30

"So the Pars are without peer......."

The opposite in fact !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 20:47

Local derby will be fun, Ruth sitting next to Brown, Val Mcdermott mixed in for some fireworks!

DROSS running the line 🤔🔥
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 8 Jun 21:00

Thanks for posting about this. I'm not a gambler but I have a 15 year old son who is big into fifa and altho I was aware of these player packs I didn't know how much it is possible to spend.
Actually thought Ruth came across well and was more critical of government than I expected.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Wed 9 Jun 20:54

This was a real eye opener. Some real simple changes can be made very easily to at least show the government want to address this - opt in rather than opt out, restrictions of number of marketing contact at any one time etc. Our financial institutions are highly regulated so why aren’t these companies in the UK?

The suggestion of grooming is really very scary. I often wonder why we don’t have more financial education in school. The onus is put on parents when they are often bamboozled by financial products and the risks they impose.

The changes made so far are just not enough. The growth in online gambling has been huge in recent months/years and the government just done seem interested given the revenue they make. We must take action to protect people and simply aren’t doing enough. I’m really interested to read the white paper when published.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net