DAFC.net
Home 01 August 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cristiano Ronaldo
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 09:04

A phenomenal footballer and a contender for the GOAT accolade, CR7 divides opinion among fans because of the perception among some that he is selfish, arrogant, doesn`t score in big games etc.

My opinion on Ronaldo the player has never been in doubt, since his debut for Man U, but my view on him as a man has risen considerably after reading this:-

On being asked by a journalist "Why does your mother still live with you? Why don`t you build her a house?`` he replied,

"My mother raised me by sacrificing her life for me. She went to bed hungry, just to feed me. We had no money for nothing. She worked 7 days a week and at night as a cleaner to buy my first shoes to be able to be a player, all my success is dedicated to her. And as long as she has life she will always be by my side, having everything I can give her. She is my refuge and my greatest gift "!!!

That struck a chord with me. Good on you Cristiano.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cristiano Ronaldo
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 09:17

I watched the bbc special on him last week and there was footage from a penalty shoot out at the last euros, against Poland I think, and he was rallying the players. He encouraged one his teammates who seemed reluctant to take one, paraphrasing a bit here, "come on you take one, you are good at them" and then to all the takers "it`s in God`s hands now".
I don`t think I have ever heard teammates say a bad word against him, even the likes of Roy Keane.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 09:33

That brought a wee tear GG

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 10:46

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 13 Jun 09:33

❤ Mrs Ronaldo's earlier life is very reminiscent of my own mum's, BPP. Unfortunately, I didn't quite scale the same heights on the football field. ☺

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 12:02

So, maybe a reminder that we only really know players, managers and referees by what they do in football, rather than knowing them as people. It`s totally legitimate to dislike someone based on what they do on a football park, so long as we limit that judgement (which we are entitled to make because it`s based on what we see) to the particular context of football.

Conflation of a person`s football persona with their actual self, which seems to happen quite commonly now, is not a good thing. In the modern world, there seems a weird need, via media, to get to know players as people and it does not help.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 13:12

How he never seen the inside of a jail cell is criminal. Absolute scumbag

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 16:17

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Sun 13 Jun 10:46

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 13 Jun 09:33

❤ Mrs Ronaldo`s earlier life is very reminiscent of my own mum`s, BPP. Unfortunately, I didn`t quite scale the same heights on the football field. ☺

Yes I remember your story of the early years G.G. I too watched my Mum go hungry back in the early 50`s to feed me and my Dad :(

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 18:34

“Conflation of a person`s football persona with their actual self, which seems to happen quite commonly now, is not a good thing.”

Good post. This issue is not peculiar to football and affects all areas of the cult of celebrity. There are a number of writers and performers whose work I like and admire, but it’s best just to enjoy them for what they are and not to ask too many questions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 21:21

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Sun 13 Jun 13:12

How he never seen the inside of a jail cell is criminal. Absolute scumbag

Based on what?

Post Edited (Sun 13 Jun 21:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 21:33

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 13 Jun 21:21

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Sun 13 Jun 13:12

Based on what?

He was accused of rape in 2009, it was ruled at one point that it couldn't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Not sure if that's what the OP was meaning.

What can be confirmed is that Ronaldo has done a lot of good in the world, doesn't get tattoed so he can donate blood for example. No idea on the rape case.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 21:36

He got a 2 year suspended sentence for 15 million euros tax evasion too but wouldn`t be the only footballer guilty of that.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net