DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Italy v Switzerland
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 19:54

Italy's transformation under Roberto Mancini has to be seen to be believed and even then, it's difficult to take in. Knocked out in the play offs for Russia 18 by a pedestrian Sweden, Italy missed out on the WC finals for the first time in 60 years. Gianpiero Ventura wanted to send on Daniele de Rossi, a holding midfielder and refused to use the gifted attack minded Lorenzo Insigne, when Italy needed to score in the 2nd leg. De Rossi told him where to get off but Insigne still didn't get on.

Mancini came in and gradually changed the Italian mentality. They now try to play a quick passing, high pressing game, using players who have the energy and technical qualities to play in that way. Those who saw them wear down the defensively minded Turkey cannot fail to have been impressed.

I realise I may just have given Mancini's boys the kiss of death, but I hope to see them pick up where they left off against Switzerland in a few minutes time.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Italy v Switzerland
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 19:59

Playing them twice in a row 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 20:20

Back to the future ?? :-))

Post Edited (Wed 16 Jun 20:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 20:26

Great goal

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 21:08

It`s been a good game

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 21:15

Don't think Locatelli will be at Sassuolo much longer, he's a fabulous player
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 21:34

Badly ref....pretty sure he supports Falkirk too 😂😂

Italians look strong all over the pitch. Keeper never conceded more than 1 goal in a game playing for Italy!!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 21:52

I don't normally watch many Italian international games as they are usually very dull defensive games, They are box office at these championships. 10/10

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 22:09

Brilliant balance to the side now and really enjoyable to watch. Bobby knows his stuff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 22:11

Serie A regularly produces high scoring games in recent years.
Catenaccio is well and truly over

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Jun 22:13

I only clocked that after the season had finished. Higher average goals per game than the Bundesliga I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 17 Jun 00:34

Italy were also excellent in Euro 2016. Unlucky to lose a penalty shoot-out against Germany in the quarter finals after dispatching Spain in the last 16 and Belgium in the group stage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 17 Jun 07:29

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 17 Jun 00:34

Italy were also excellent in Euro 2016. Unlucky to lose a penalty shoot-out against Germany in the quarter finals after dispatching Spain in the last 16 and Belgium in the group stage.

Aye, Conte made that team bigger than the sum of its parts, but when he left and the Italian FA disastrously appointed the clueless Gianpiero Ventura, the inevitable conclusion came to pass.

Ventura was Italy's Jocky Scott. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 17 Jun 08:49

My knowledge of Italian football is limited. I`ve barely taken notice of it since the 90`s when channel 4 got involved. I used to watch the games as it was the only live football on council TV at the time and it could be dull as ditch water. Fast forward 30 years however - what a transformation. Every now and then a team comes along which re-configures how modern football "should be played". Barcelona and Spain did it 10 years ago with their death by a million passes approach. Thankfully Italy have come along and ripped up that script with a game that manages to combine possession with excitement, speed, a persistent desire to attack and, most importantly, entertainment. There`s barely any sideways passing/ possession for the sake of it. They do play backwards but you can see it`s a ploy to draw the opposition out, create space, with the intent of exploiting that space and getting forward quickly. They`ve been the highlight of the tournament so far for me.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net