DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 God Save us from those Barbarous Scots
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 07:34

The Daily Express really is a despicable rag. You'd be forgiven for thinking that kilted Scots warriors had just annexed London.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1451212/euro-2020-scotland-fans-england-game-London-hyde-park-wembley-stadium-latest/amp

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: God Save us from those Barbarous Scots
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 07:50

You should read some of the crap that gets written by it`s readers online. Knuckledraggers only way to describe them

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 08:53

They`ve definitely tried to get Ross Dinham, 26, Bar Supervisor from South Queensferry sacked.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 09:04

And if the game had been at Hampden and thousands of Englanders had pitched up without a ticket and held a mega-party at a place of their choosing in Glasgow, in the middle of a pandemic, your response would have been what? Can you imagine the front page of The National.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 09:05

Many of these guys won't have travelled from Scotland, there must be at least 50,000 Scots from London and surrounding areas

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 09:09

"They`ve definitely tried to get Ross Dinham, 26, Bar Supervisor from South Queensferry sacked."

Who is "they" and on what grounds is he to be sacked ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 09:20

There’s a video on YouTube called “Scotland fans chanting we’ll destroy the English b**tards”. Not once is this even close to being sung in the video. The sun is responsible I believe. Despicable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 10:42

Not like the truth to get in the way of a Sun headline 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davie moyes the first  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 11:04

The same paper which wants to keep us in the Union 🤨

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 12:47

😂 Saw plenty comments on news stories about us Scots singing about hating the English. Not one can provide an example of this happening.

It's funny as I used to find the Mcglashan type Scot quite embarrassing but they are a tiny minority in comparison to the "Rule britanyer, rebuild Hadrian's wall at the boardah" brigade.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 13:46

"Saw plenty comments on news stories about us Scots singing about hating the English. Not one can provide an example of this happening."

you don`t have to look very hard.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1451510/Scotland-news-England-Euro2020-match-GB-News-SNP-hate-speech-video-latest-VN

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 13:59

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1451510/Scotland-news-England-Euro2020-match-GB-News-SNP-hate-speech-video-latest-VN

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 14:48

Newspapers used to have an important purpose in society. Then it was decided that yer fish supper couldnae be wrapped in them anymore.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 15:14

Quote:

1985Par, Fri 18 Jun 09:04

And if the game had been at Hampden and thousands of Englanders had pitched up without a ticket and held a mega-party at a place of their choosing in Glasgow, in the middle of a pandemic, your response would have been what? Can you imagine the front page of The National.

I've ñever read or even seen the National, so I'm struggling to imagine the front page, 1985Par, but I do know that Scots fans are far more highly regarded than their English counterparts, overseas. Scotland fans are similar to Irish fans who enjoy a good bevy but tend not to cause any serious bother. England fans, on the other hand, have acquired plenty of notoriety down the years, for thuggish vandalism. Their reputation is such that opposing fans of similar disposition often organise themselves for a confrontation and local police have to deploy as many officers as they can to quell the inevitable rioting which ensues.

My issue with the Express and its sister right wing rags is the hyperbolic inflammatory language used, painting the Scots as a bunch of rabble rousing, English hating thugs. And what relevance does the fact that many of them are wearing kilts have?

Oh and in case you think I'm a jaundiced Jock, I'm an objective, 100% Italian.

Post Edited (Fri 18 Jun 15:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 15:24

Well said GG.

The audacity of these scummy right wing rag journos criticising Scotland fans for a few choice words, when their own fans are renowned for destruction and violence.

The comments page on the DE is utterly gob smacking...blaming Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.....jeezus wept.......giros being spent , alcoholics, and scum bags is the general opinion.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 15:44

GG. So if England fans had pitched up in Glasgow, en mass, had a party in, say, George square and left it resembling a landfill site in the midst of a pandemic and proceeded to sing " we f**kin hate the Scots", the Daily Record or whichever "good" paper you read, wouldn`t have reported it?

Which particular words in the express report are not a factual account of the goings-on and are offending you so much?

And the Express didn`t need to portray the fans as "english hating" - it`s on video for all to see.

Post Edited (Fri 18 Jun 15:46)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 16:53

For as long as I can remember the Tartan Army have travelled to Wembley and paid loads to England fans for their
tickets.
I would imagine covid restrictions would prevent this happening this time round, but I don't know how UEFA will police it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 16:56

Just a wee joke from me there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 16:56

News sourced from GB News, the Margaret Thatcher news channel which supports free enterprise but is furious leading companies don`t want to advertise on its channel. Turns out all these companies are run by Marxists according to Andrew Neill. The GB anti-SNP story was picked up by the Daily Excess, patron of Nigel Farage, a man whose political career was founded on hatred of foreigners.

The `If you hate the f****** English clap your hands` chant dates back to at least the early 1970s which is around the time Nicola Sturgeon was born.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 17:00

I take it we are all backing Czechs today

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 17:38

They’ve just been given a dodgy penalty - scored though 👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 17:41

Never a pen , but we'll take it 😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 19:24

cant expect anything else by tory arsehole paper

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 08:16

Quote:

1985Par, Fri 18 Jun 15:44

GG. So if England fans had pitched up in Glasgow, en mass, had a party in, say, George square and left it resembling a landfill site in the midst of a pandemic and proceeded to sing " we f**kin hate the Scots", the Daily Record or whichever "good" paper you read, wouldn`t have reported it?

Which particular words in the express report are not a factual account of the goings-on and are offending you so much?

And the Express didn`t need to portray the fans as "english hating" - it`s on video for all to see.

Perhaps I didn't express myself very clearly, 1985Par. I don't have a problem with the accurate reporting of any newsworthy incidents. What I find particularly irritating is the exaggeration and misrepresentation of events by some newspapers who can't wait to paint the Scots in a bad light. What did the Scotland fans do exactly? Had a few drinks, sang a few songs. They didn't exactly run amok and trash the location, did they? The inflammatory language used by the Express and other like minded newspapers, is similar to that used by Brexiteers in 2016. It exacerbates tensions between different groups of people and increases nationalistic sentiments. Not very helpful at all. You didn't explain the relevance of some Scotland fans wearing kilts. Perhaps they are the equivalent of modern day Vikings descending on England's green and pleasant land, to rape, burn and pillage?

Of course there is antipathy for the English among some Scots. I don't defend, condone or justify it, but there are deep rooted historical reasons for it, of which I'm sure you're well aware. It's high time that was buried but some can't let it go. Two wrongs don't make a right, but there's no lack of anti Scottish sentiment among the English either - some of them don't even like their own. Geordies and Scousers are just two examples of folk who are actively disliked by those in the South of England.

As for your hypothetical scenario regarding England fans pitching up in George Square, that's unlikely to ever happen - England fans have never come to Hampden in the numbers of Scots going to Wembley, but if they did I would expect any excesses to be reported truthfully and accurately. The nearest we've had to that was the Rangers title celebrations, where the fans of that club escaped quite lightly in media reports, considering the embarrassing scenes they were involved in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 09:37

"Geordies and Scousers are just two examples of folk who are actively disliked by those in the South of England."

The Mancunians "actively dislike" Scousers in spades, and it`s reciprocated !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 18:50

There are pictures today of some Scotland fans helping to tidy up the area around Leicester Square this morning.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 19:50

Absolute scum the lot of them. Going down to London, spending money, supporting local hospitality, singing, having the audacity to leave tables and chairs unturned and then coming back to litter pick. Disgusting.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 20:41

Quote:

jake89, Sat 19 Jun 19:50

Absolute scum the lot of them. Going down to London, spending money, supporting local hospitality, singing, having the audacity to leave tables and chairs unturned and then coming back to litter pick. Disgusting.

Yes, I'm sure the Express will have a full 2 page spread on it on Monday, Jake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57538350

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 20:59

I fully expect them to cover how Scotland fans walked off after being met with a local English tradition of throwing smoke bombs. This tradition goes back many years to Sweden 92.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net