DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Group D final games
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 07:53

Have I misread the table, but if Czech and Scotland both win 2 nil… we’d go through in second place

(Or if England win 3 nil)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Group D final games
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 08:04

We can only go through 2nd if Czech beat England. Czech will finish above us on head to head.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 08:12

Does Goal difference not come into play?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 08:28

Head to head first.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 08:29

Goal difference will only be used after head to head in the group. Goal difference will also be used to sort out the 4 of 6 3rd place teams that go through.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 08:40

I'm pretty sure they will play out a draw and both qualify.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 09:00

But going from other thread, would a draw not mean Czech win group and play their games at Wembley, whereas England will need to travel for their next game(s)?

That in itself would mean England need to go for it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 09:10

It was sad to see Souness being affected by the Scottish Fan Forlorn Hope bug live on air. I even felt a few symptoms myself for a few hours but I've managed to get over it and think we have no chance of getting through.

If you are suffering from symptoms including thinking that Dykes could actually be a footballer or that this might be the time that we get through then please book an appointment with your GP.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 09:41

Don`t Croatia come into this equation ?

They may not want to allow Scotland a happy ending.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 09:48

I too am excited but I cant help but chortle heartily at this thread.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 10:08

Modrich will be tired out by Tuesday, and with wee Gilmour buzzing round him we really should win, but hey it's Scotland!

We never do it easy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 10:09

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sat 19 Jun 09:10

It was sad to see Souness being affected by the Scottish Fan Forlorn Hope bug live on air. I even felt a few symptoms myself for a few hours but I've managed to get over it and think we have no chance of getting through.

If you are suffering from symptoms including thinking that Dykes could actually be a footballer or that this might be the time that we get through then please book an appointment with your GP.

You are mad to think Dykes isn’t a footballer. He’s perfect for international football on our level.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 11:33

What is our problem as a country? Why can't we just enjoy the fact we're taking part at the highest level of international football? All this cross examination and self criticism really does my nut in.

We made one of the tournaments favourites look pretty bloody ordinary. Let's just see what happens eh?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 11:57

Quote:

nick_dafc1, Sat 19 Jun 08:29

Goal difference will only be used after head to head in the group. Goal difference will also be used to sort out the 4 of 6 3rd place teams that go through.

If Scotland beat Croatia 1-0, a nd the Czechs beat England 2-0 ...
... the Czechs win the group with England and Scotland having identical records.

I think weirdly Tuesday's matches are "away" for both England and Scotland, so does that come into the equation?

Will fair play (red/yellow cards) be used?

Can Scotland find a new hard luck way to go out?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 12:22

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the final tournament group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine their rankings:
a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in
question;
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams in question;
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question;
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal:
e. superior goal difference in all group matches;
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
g. higher number of wins in all group matches;
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in
all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
i. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings (see Article 23).
20.02 If two teams which have the same number of points and the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, their final rankings are determined by kicks from the penalty mark (see Paragraph 22.03 to Paragraph 22.06)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Athletic  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 13:26

We need to score a goal before we can think about going through. Can see another 0-0 on the horizon. Hopefully I'm wrong and we win 5 nil🙏
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 13:40

I don`t think it`s going to matter too much, and the situation is quite simple. A win on Tuesday will very likely be enough to go through while a draw or a loss will not. A quick look back at World Cups and Euros since 1986 when this 24-team format has been in operation showed that no team with a record of 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss has ever gone out [I think, it was only a quick look on Wikipedia].

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: InschPar  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 13:49

The Group D winners have arguably a harder last 16 game than the runners-up.
Winners likely to play France, Portugal or Germany.
Runners-up likely to play anyone from Spain’s group.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 16:01

I can see Hungarians beating Germany Inschpar

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 21:10

Has anyone seen a plain English explanation of how the four third place teams are distributed across the ties? Not how do they pick the four that go through, how do they pair them up?

Asking for a friend who has a ticket for the last 16 at Hampden and trying not to dream...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 21:37

KNOCKOUT PHASE

Round of 16

Saturday 26 June

1: 2A vs 2B (18:00, Amsterdam)
2: 1A vs 2C (21:00, London)

Sunday 27 June

3: 1C vs 3D/E/F (18:00, Budapest)
4: 1B vs 3A/D/E/F (21:00, Seville)

Monday 28 June

5: 2D vs 2E (18:00, Copenhagen)
6: 1F vs 3A/B/C (21:00, Bucharest)

Tuesday 29 June

7: 1D vs 2F (18:00, London)
8: 1E vs 3A/B/C/D (21:00, Glasgow)

So for Glasgow it will be whoever tops group E Sweden at the moment. Vs 3rd in group A,B,C or D so possible Scotland, other possibilities is Switzerland,Wales,Austria,Ukraine,North Macedonia,Finland,Denmark or Russia.

All of the teams that finish third in the group stages of the Euros are put into a table.

And their position in the table is determined firstly by how many points they picked up in the group stages.

But if the teams cannot be separated by points, whichever team has the highest goal difference finishes higher up the table.

If the table cannot be decided through points or goal difference, it then goes to the number of goals scored in the group stages.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Jun 21:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 22:10

Quote:

Polt

All of the teams that finish third in the group stages of the Euros are put into a table.

Etc

That's probably correct, but that only determines the four teams that will get into the Round of 16.

Wikipedia (and I don't know if it's accurate) suggests the "draw" has already been made - it will depend on which 4 groups the 3rd place teams emerge from, to play against the winners of Groups B, C, E and F. See this link and scroll down to "Format", where there is a table with 15 different combinations of who plays whom.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_knockout_phase

But first we need to beat Croatia...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc

Post Edited (Sat 19 Jun 22:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 22:34

Thanks Stanza my heid got a bit minced with that chart. Could they no just say 3rd place 1 - 3rd place 2 - 3rd place 3 - 3rd place 4 fml😅 it`s no hard to make things easy

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 23:09

So, ultimately there's fifteen different permutations of the four groups that are represented and the fate is sealed already depending on which of the four they are. That makes sense.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 23:39

Quote:

Polt, Sat 19 Jun 22:34

Thanks Stanza my heid got a bit minced with that chart. Could they no just say 3rd place 1 - 3rd place 2 - 3rd place 3 - 3rd place 4 fml😅 it`s no hard to make things easy

No, because that would run the risk of a team that finished 3rd meeting the winner of its group in the Round of 16, something they would want to avoid.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jun 17:33

The Scotland effect is taking hold.

The entirely implausible set of results that would have to happen to pump us out should we get 4 points is slowly happening.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jun 19:15

Quote:

Stoo, Sun 20 Jun 17:33

The Scotland effect is taking hold.

The entirely implausible set of results that would have to happen to pump us out should we get 4 points is slowly happening.

I wish I was one of those people who can glide through life without overthinking things but I'm with you Stoo. The doomsday scenario is now swinging into action.

Belgium or Denmark win tomorrow and Ukraine Austria ends in a win for either side and we can go into Tuesday night knowing a win will do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jun 19:23

Ukraine Austria has draw written all over it.

I fancy Denmark. You have to fancy Belgium but I assume they wont have their strongest team out.

Going into the Croatia game not knowing if a 1-0 is enough will be rank rotten but maybe we have been saving up all our goals (or we`ll get pumped)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 20 Jun 19:32

Let's just score a goal or two and win the game first. What will be will be.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net