DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Referees at Euros
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 18:55

Are there no Scottish referees at the Euros? Some of the bigger nations have more than one plus assistants. Dougie Ross could have done with a few shifts to supplement his two Parliamentary salaries.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Referees at Euros
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 18:57

Third tournament apparently there have been no Scottish refs. Can't say I'm surprised!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 19:00

How many of the euro refs are baldies???
That's the real question we all need answered 🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 19:21

They’re not there as they don’t have enough experience working with VAR I heard.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 19:21

"Dougie Ross could have done with a few shifts to supplement his two Parliamentary salaries."

It`s a nonsense that any politician should be allowed to be an MP and MSP concurrently - but for the record, he`s not the first, there have been 5 SNP in the not too distant past.

Interestingly enough, Ross resigned as an MSP when he was first elected to the Commons at the 2017 General Election.

He has also vowed to donate his newly won MSP salary to charity.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Jun 19:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 19:36

Thanks for that political interlude, vee.

I wonder how the refs are selected? Are they assessed on their performances in the Champions League and Europa League? I don`t see how lack of VAR experience should be relevant to refereeing a match although it would make sense to exclude such officials from interpreting the VAR equipment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 20:22

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/protecting-the-game/news/0266-117ac5bccf35-72816baa13ca-1000--referees-urged-to-aim-high/
The EURO 2020 referee team will be chosen closer to the tournament, and Rosetti emphasised that places in the team were still up for grabs. “All of the elite referees are candidates for the EURO,” Rosetti said, “and we’ll also be looking at the performances of our first-category referees in view of the various duties required at the finals. Experience will obviously count as a criterion for our choices, but we’ll be closely monitoring everybody in the coming matches before taking our final decision.”

“It’s time to be fit, focused and 100% committed,” he added. “Every match is not only important for UEFA, but also for your careers as referees.”

Mibbe is important wee eck as only Scottish ref in Elite bracket is Wullie Collum. It would depend on usage of VAR as more evidence to support UEFA`S choices officials. We used to have a really highly respected ref set up which I find strange given that Hugh Dallas is in charge ofref`s @ UEFA

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jun 23:06

"Thanks for that political interlude, vee."

I couldn`t understand why you introduced a domestic political slant into a discussion about referees at the Euros.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jun 00:04

...but you thought you`d join in anyway. I was just trying to inject a bit of topical humour but it`s not always appreciated on here. Fair play to Ross if he`s donating one of his salaries to charity but I can`t see how he can serve both sets of constituents fully.

Back on topic I think the refs have been pretty good so far at the Euros and VAR has been relatively quick and efficient with few dubious calls.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jun 07:47

"..but you thought you`d join in anyway. I was just trying to inject a bit of topical humour but it`s not always appreciated on here. Fair play to Ross if he`s donating one of his salaries to charity but I can`t see how he can serve both sets of constituents fully"

It is a forum - "joining in" is part of the deal, where relevant.

Agreed, he should not have two seats - as I said.

At least we now know he`s not holding the MSP job for financial gain - mind you he`s on a nice little extra earner as a referee.

Post Edited (Sun 20 Jun 08:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 09:14

Scottish baldie refs were banned from all major competitions following our in depth analysis of two years ago

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 10:37

Bobby Madden was on the Open Goal podcast last week and confirmed no Scottish refs had been appointed. Said he was a bit disappointed as England had two different refs at the tournament but not surprised.

Not sure if anyone listens to Open Goal but it really has made me view refs in a different way and a good move by whoever thought about having Bobby Madden on. It’s such a popular podcast with a big audience, so getting a ref on to tell his stories shines a good light on them, just humans doing there job.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 15:32

Antonio Mateu Lahoz was impressive refereeing the England v Scotland game.

The Spaniard had also covered the Champions League Final.

No one will ever compare with Italian Pierluigi Collina though,perhaps the greatest Ref ever?FIFA certainly thought so.

Post Edited (Mon 21 Jun 15:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 15:57

I thought the ref was good on Friday and at the CL Final. I assume he speaks good English which would help. He bore a resemblance to Robert Duvall (in `The Godfather` rather than `A Shot at Glory`!)

What player would dare to question a Collina decision? He wouldn`t have been out of place in `The Godfather`.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net