DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 modric
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 22 Jun 22:23

We were outplayed most of the game and can few complaints. We had two home games and lost them both. We are not good enough. That’s for another forum.

But as football fans we should appreciate the tremendous display given at Hampden Park by Modric, who has always reminded me of Alex Edwards in the way he receives a ball and distributes it. His goal , which turned the game, was very similar to an Alex Edwards goal against Olympiakos in 1969 but which is less remembered. In both situations the player trusted he could guide the ball home from distance rather than drive it.

Modric was available for almost every Croatian player looking for a pass. He was as outstanding tonight as Maradona was at Hampden in 1979. I don’t know if Croatia can go much further, they seem on a Denmark level to me, but Denmark don’t have Eriksonn and Croatia have Modric. Intelligence matters. Ask England.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: modric
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 22 Jun 22:28

It might have helped if Gilmour had been able to play. We gave Modric far too much time and space.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Jun 23:04

Yes, I agree it would have. But this was the first game in tournament when Modric was playing ten yards behind his forwards, so the goal was no great surprise. Like Edwards he can place the ball exactly where he wants- not 5 or 10 yards s lime most players, and that makes a difference. His performance tonight was absolutely outstanding. I imagine you were old enough to see Alex Smith (De Bryune) or Edwards (Modric) so I am sure you know here my argument lies.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 00:16

Quote from Steve Clarke:
"You saw tonight a team that is tournament-hardened; hopefully we can take the lessons and we don`t have to wait as long for the next one.

"We`ve got young players in the squad and we want to improve together.``

What a load of bollocks. It`s Roxburgh revisited .We were not enough for the present tournament and guess what: we will not be good enough for the next one either. Iceland, Denmark, Greece will have their day in the sun, but we will always be hardening our tournament knowledge. For a better tomorrow, you understand. We are the best educated losers in Europe. nobody comes close.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 00:23

The goal that destroyed our dreams was utter class from Modric. You really can’t buy that experience of a player in a squad that has seen it all and still delivers when it really matters.
Scotland was mostly about passion and hope rather than know-how and we looked very inexperienced in the key moments in the game.
Any football fan with some knowledge about the game must accept that.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 06:40

Luka Modric will be 36 in September. Some folk thought that meant he was past it but he showed that, given time and space, he still has the class to turn games in his team`s favour. With Scotland playing 2 up front, there was one less in midfield and Modric was able to play in what - for him - was acres of space. Having said that, even with an extra man in midfield, Scotland would still have struggled to keep him out of the game. An Italian man marker of old, like Claudio Gentile, would have been needed to shackle him.

Excellent though Modric was, Croatia are no one man team. They have many technically gifted players all over the pitch. Valiant effort, is no match for class and it`s no disgrace to lose to a better team. Having to go for a win suited Croatia far more than Scotland. I believe Scotland lost any chance of qualification when they went down to the Czech Republic. The game against England looked after itself and Scotland might have won that, had they had a good finisher up front.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 09:09

Croatia were the better team, Modric was another class.

Passion and determination etc. can only go so far.

We have some fine developing young international players for the future, so that’s pleasing.

As above, the damage was done v Czechs.

Post Edited (Wed 23 Jun 09:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 09:19

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 23 Jun 09:09

Croatia were the better team, Modric was another class.

Passion and determination etc. can only go so far.

We have some fine developing young international players for the future, so that’s pleasing.

As above, the damage was done v Czechs.

Good post VEE. Onwards 👍⚽️

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 09:22

Agree with all above .. good posts

I think we all agree that we are just not good enough

Croatia are a technically gifted team .. 2018 world cup final .. maybe could have won it if they had not met a very good French side

Population of 4 million and have been in the world cup 5 times since gaining independence in 1991

Could that be the answer to our problem :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 10:02

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 23 Jun 09:22

Agree with all above .. good posts

I think we all agree that we are just not good enough

Croatia are a technically gifted team .. 2018 world cup final .. maybe could have won it if they had not met a very good French side

Population of 4 million and have been in the world cup 5 times since gaining independence in 1991

Could that be the answer to our problem :)

Are you proposing we cull some 1.5 million people who are rubbish at football, BPP?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 10:07

"Population of 4 million and have been in the world cup 5 times since gaining independence in 1991."

The political aspect aside - Craig Brown was very interesting on radio earlier - in the last cycle of competition Croatia qualified at U-16, U-21 and full international level at World Cup - the only country in the world to do so.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 12:18

Are you proposing we cull some 1.5 million people who are rubbish at football, BPP?

Made me smile G.G

Only if they vote Tory :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 12:45

Our set-up allowed Modric the time and space.

It was clear fairly early on that Croatia had figured our the 3 midfielders drifted across the park. and Modric took advantage of that space.

That said, he was class in a glass!

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 13:12

Not his goal but the one from the corner. I told my wife that there should been men on the posts. Plus why was Nizzy not introduced sooner.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 14:26

Years ago, when national team manager, wee Strachan bemoaned the fact that Scotland couldn`t produce tall AND athletic players like other countries.

Last night, on the third goal, Perisic was head and shoulders above Tierney from a standing jump.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 16:22

"The political aspect aside - Craig Brown was very interesting on radio earlier - in the last cycle of competition Croatia qualified at U-16, U-21 and full international level at World Cup - the only country in the world to do so."

Never knew that vee ... that is a stunning accomplishment

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Jun 17:28

Correction - it was U-20, not U-21.

From 2.22:46 through to 2.29:40.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000x6pv

Comments from Craig Brown.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net