DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Away goals in Europe
Topic Originator: Bedworth par  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 14:47

Away goals rule to be scrapped. Just wondering how this might have changed some of our results in Europe? Anderlecht for example. Still remember leaving EEP after that game disappointed but thinking never mind there`s always next year!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Away goals in Europe
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 16:04

Bit of a bolt from the blue this one. Probably a good thing but there was something quite special and unique about a 2-legged tie in the last few minutes when away goals were a factor.

Everyone knowing that a goal could mean one side going through when they were staring elimination in the face. Not particularly fair in extra time mind you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 16:15

I think I`m correct in saying that we were the first club to suffer elimination in a Euro tie based on this daft rule ?

Dynamo Zagreb, won 4-2 at EEP then lost 0-2 over there.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 16:27

It`s fair to say, drawing the tie after 180 minutes never worked out well for us!

Valencia went to a 3rd game. Had to play in not particularly neutral Lisbon and lost.

Athletic Bilbao. Went to a 3rd game. Had to play it at their place. Lost.

Zaragoza. Level at 3-3 after 180 minutes. Away goals didn`t count or we would have gone through. Lost in extra time.

Dinamo Zagreb. Lost on away goals.

Anderlecht. Lost on away goals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bedworth par  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 16:55

Hadn`t fully realised how badly this rule had been to us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 17:10

The rule was brought in to stop teams "parking the bus" away from home, was it not?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 17:40

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 24 Jun 16:27

It`s fair to say, drawing the tie after 180 minutes never worked out well for us!

Valencia went to a 3rd game. Had to play in not particularly neutral Lisbon and lost.

Athletic Bilbao. Went to a 3rd game. Had to play it at their place. Lost.

Zaragoza. Level at 3-3 after 180 minutes. Away goals didn`t count or we would have gone through. Lost in extra time.

Dinamo Zagreb. Lost on away goals.

Anderlecht. Lost on away goals.

That's our Fairs Cup exit history. I've made this point on here a couple of times before, but worth making again as it's a good one and not everyone appreciates this about our history.

Five campaigns in that cup and never once beaten over 180 minutes - just hard luck stories. Like Zaragoza was the season before they introduced the away goal rule and Zagreb the first of it.

I don't think we were the first to go out that way, but possibly the first British club and, I'm fairly certain, first Scottish. Happy to be proved wrong. That have was in the second round, so there were possibles in the first.

We also won every single home game, 13/13.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

Post Edited (Thu 24 Jun 23:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 18:46

Did we not lose at home to UjpestDozsa

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 19:07

Pretty sure our home record in Europe (in the 60s) is played 20, won 18, Drawn 1, Lost 1.

The draw was to West Brom and the loss to Ujpest, so it could be a perfect record in the Fairs Cup.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 19:11

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Thu 24 Jun 18:46

Did we not lose at home to UjpestDozsa

Yep, but the was the Cup Winner's Cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 20:40

The rule was misunderstood by quite a few supporters when it was first introduced.

I mind a game at EEP when the opposition scored and the elderly fan beside me bemoaned the visitors getting 2 goals awarded.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net