DAFC.net
Home 27 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Away Goals Rule Scrapped
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 06:55

Well, well, well..... Back to the future?

The away goals rule was introduced in 1965 to encourage away teams to adopt a more positive approach in European games, instead of parking the bus. This was something the Pars were quite good at. - 4-2 home wins v Oergryte and 1-0 v Stuttgart, were followed by 0-0 away draws. Ironically, had the rule been in place a year earlier, the Pars would have got through v Real Zaragoza in the Fairs Cup quarter final, but after it came in we were knocked out on away goals by eventual winners, Dinamo Zagreb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57599780

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Away Goals Rule Scrapped
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 10:11

It's about time, I'd say.

Too many exciting ties ruined in the past because of the away goals rule.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 10:15

Was it the case that when they changed from 2pts for a win to 3pts for a win we would have won the league had they introduced the 3pts the year before and also won the league had they delayed it by a year and we'd stayed on 2pts for a win or have a just made that up?

Don't seem to have much luck with rule change timings if that's true and not a figment of my imagination!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 10:28

Quote:

EastEndBoy, Fri 25 Jun 10:11

It's about time, I'd say.

Too many exciting ties ruined in the past because of the away goals rule.

Agreed, EEB. Arsene Wenger spoke out against it a few years back. I'm surprised the rule survived as long as it did. Rather than achieve its aim of encouraging away teams to attack, it often had the opposite effect, making home teams more cautious. I've lost count of the number of times a 0-0 draw was hailed as a good result for the home team, because they could easily "nick a goal" in the return.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net