DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Colt Teams
Topic Originator: mars par  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 10:57

Another day another proposal for forcing Old Firm colt teams on the Scottish leagues:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57651255?fbclid=IwAR1RuCjs2dl4GhS_09UE1qv8lwi8uPox-Pqtx7HA3XjLZyzcerYQf_Pe7nI

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Colt Teams
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 11:42

Don't care either way if it happens it happens
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 12:13

No thanks
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 12:38

Is the SPFL Reserve League beneath Rangers and Celtic?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 12:50

Really be the end of Scottish football for me if they start putting colt teams in, just devalues the whole thing, personally don’t think they should be in the Lowland league either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 16:08

I'd be happy to let the colts teams in, if they want to expand the leagues,

3 leagues of 16

Play each other home and away = 30 games
League split, play each other once = 7 games

Simples

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 16:44

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Tue 29 Jun 16:08

I'd be happy to let the colts teams in, if they want to expand the leagues,

3 leagues of 16

Play each other home and away = 30 games
League split, play each other once = 7 games

Simples

not a chance that would happen, 4 leagues of 12
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 16:49

Leagues are too small, playing each other to many times

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 18:45

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Tue 29 Jun 16:49

Leagues are too small, playing each other to many times

Exactly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Tue 29 Jun 23:18

Lower league club owners need to start getting tough with this continuous nonsense and call Rangers bluff. I say Rangers because they seem to be the main protagonists of this. If this is genuinely about improving the national team then there needs to be a clear pathway into the first team once they are too old for the B team. For that to happen Rangers and Celtic need to make some concessions at first team level (or these concessions should be Premiership wide). This could include all or a combination of the following:

- Nationality rules (e.g., can’t have more than x foreign players in squad or on the pitch at any time).
- locally/club-trained player rule (similar to above)
- Squad size limits (e.g., 18 or 20 first team players over the age of 21)
- Loan limits  & removal intra-league loans (which is basically a form of league doping when the player can play against every other team except their parent

I am 100% certain that each and every one of the proposals would be rejected by Rangers and Celtic based on the belief that it would limit their ability to compete at European level. However, I’d cite Athletic Bilbao’ s (Europa League finalists 2012)  self-imposed Basque policy or Celtic’s very own Lisbon Lions as counter arguments to that.

The cynic in me can’t help but think that Rangers are pushing this as a way of stockpiling players and creating an additional revenue stream by selling players to the English Championship, and/or a way of Rangers having a ready-made  SFA/SPFL licence/membership if they were ever to go into liquidation again. Also, they would likely want to replace the B team in whatever league they were occupying at that time, opposed to starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

Finally, I believe that SPFL should be investing all of their time and effort into trying to make the Premier League more competitive rather than turning three engaging already competitive leagues into glorified development leagues. To further help two teams who have dominated the top tier for the last  36 years is nonsensical. Maybe focus on Premiership reconstruction and a redistribution of playing talent. This would require an increase in the number of clubs in the top division and a more balanced sharing of prize money, which are another two suggestions that I believe would be immediately shot down.  This all starts to ask the question as to who are the ones actually holding the Scottish game back?

You couldnae make it up... oh, many already have!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 30 Jun 01:25

Excellent post by 7-11

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 30 Jun 07:22

Well said 7-11 👍

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Wed 30 Jun 08:14

Nice one 7Eleven.
Sadly though this is Scotland and it`s all about money and bigotry sells tickets and TV deals.
Virtually all media coverage is focused on The Rangers and Celtic. I remember driving to a Pars away match when we were in the SPL and listening to BBC Sportsound or whatever it was then. Pars were going to be the live match broadcast that day and there was almost no mention of the game until kick off because the old firm were playing the next afternoon. So all the chat was about a game the next day.
I can`t see it ever changing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Jun 11:32

Great Post 7eleven, may I be even more cynical?..... I take it that the 2 colt clubs will be run seperate from main clubs,ie if celtic colts were running away with division 2, Rangers could not flood their colt team with first team regulars.
If this is the case , if Rangers go t!t$ up again , will they be able to just restart the following season as Rangers colts 1872?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Wed 30 Jun 11:50

Below is an excellent long read article that tries to provide some objectivity to the debate about B teams. For what it is worth, I do believe that there should be a publicly available feasibility study done on this topic by an independent organisation (e.g., Twenty First Group - formally 21st Club) before it is ever brought back to the table. For example, how easy is it to answer the question `what are the benefits of B teams - to national football, to the leagues they will impact & those surrounding them, to the clubs who have B teams and to the clubs who do not?` The article linked below tries to answer the question `does B team football significantly benefit young players more than joining a club on loan?` From the small sample size presented the answer would be no. If Rangers Innovation paper has alternative data then they should be sharing it with everyone.

http://argyle.life/analysis/b-team-myth/

Also, I think the SPFL and clubs should also be aware of fans feeling about this topic. I cannot find any full report, but Supporters Direct Scotland surveyed fans:

http://www.scottishsupporters.net/b-teams-in-spfl-league-two/

You couldnae make it up... oh, many already have!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr P  
Date:   Wed 30 Jun 15:52

This is something that I am totally against, the OF should not have Carte Blanche over dictating to the rest of the league to get their own way all the time.

Playing devils advocate here, What about other clubs as I am sure Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen should be looking to add their teams too surely to make it fair to all.

I am all for League reconstruction, but not to benefit the two and only two clubs who continue to skim the cream off what the whole of Scottish football receive and on a playing side too.

The only way that the OF and other clubs will be able to compete in the European platform is to have a top league that is competitive and not the closed consortium that it is. The SPL or whatever they call it these days is stale and has been for years. It needs revamped to suit the whole of Scottish Football.

If we had 18 teams played H & A then split into two leagues one of eight H & A then it would spread the money evenly through more teams Then one of ten H & A top section playing 30 games bottom section playing 34 games. no parachute payments as this would be best used to fund the positions team finish.

Top as we are just now, with the BB playing each other four times Bottom Ten play for relegation with three going down no questions asked as we would have three fresh teams every year as we need to freshen things up.

Building from the bottom up is great but not to the detriment to other clubs ouside the OF. because if this is voted through then give it five years if that and they will change the goal posts again. Just my humble opinion.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net