DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 World Cup Every 2 Years?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 16:59

Not only that, we'd have the Euros, Copa America etc. every other year, so that we'd have an international tournament every summer, if Arsene Wenger, who now works for FIFA, has his way.

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/amp/news/wenger-backs-world-cup-every-two-years/1xo6l0rdyioew1868j163gbhue

I wonder what the elite players will make of this plan? Perhaps they will be replaced by robots? And how on earth would it be possible to squeeze these extra tournaments into an already cluttered calendar?

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 05 Jul 17:01)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: World Cup Every 2 Years?
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 17:48

The world cup is brilliant but every two years would be too frequent. They need to concentrate on what's good for the game rather than what will make them more money.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 18:00

Wenger reckons it`s what the fans want - fewer qualifying games and more tournament games. The qualifying games would all be played in one elongated international break rather than over a number of breaks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 18:37

I like the idea of qualifying games in one elongated break rather than multiple mini breaks.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 19:10

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 5 Jul 18:00

Wenger reckons it`s what the fans want - fewer qualifying games and more tournament games. The qualifying games would all be played in one elongated international break rather than over a number of breaks.

I wonder how he knows what the fans want? Has anybody actually asked them?

I'm with lpf on this one - by holding the WC every 2 years, you will dilute it's attraction. It's a bit like the Scottish league set up where clubs meet 4 times a season instead of twice. Attractive fixtures become less so, because you don't have to wait a whole year to see that team at home again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 20:58

After The Pars, international tournaments are by miles what I love most about football. There's stuff in that article I like but don't want WC and Euros alternating by the year.

Is there something in between? Have that qualification month in June/July and the main tournament the following year?

Pros: something big still happens every year; no breaks in the domestic/European season; and the big tournaments keep the same frequency.

Cons: too long between qualification and tourney; 10/11 month gap between international matches - people losing interest; no breaks in the domestic/European season; and all away games close together (but the same as the October proposal).

A variation could be the qualification groups taking place in one or two countries each.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 21:07

Would never agree,to every 2 years.Players Would be burnt out,considering domestic competitions as well,to contened with.

Post Edited (Mon 05 Jul 21:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 23:04

Is this not just FIFA trying to reassert its dominant position over UEFA and club football, in particular the Champions League?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 10:27

I can see the argument for reduced international breaks but having the World Cup every two years is too much imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 13:53

When would the players get a close season? Crazy idea.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 15:02

Quote:

vasco, Tue 6 Jul 13:53

When would the players get a close season? Crazy idea.

They could get all their close seasons in a oner, when they retire, vasco.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net