DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gary Lineker
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 19:19

Despite taking a pay cut of c£400k Gary Lineker is still the BBC`s top earner for 2020/21 with a salary of £1.36m. Presumably the Beeb think it would cost them viewers if MOTD and other broadcasts weren`t fronted regularly by GL. He is a very professional presenter and engaging personality but I`m sure they could find somebody to do as good a job for a fraction of that salary. He doesn`t work exclusively for the BBC of course so that`s not his full football earnings for the year.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gary Lineker
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 19:52

I like Lineker to be fair. He laughs at himself and will be the first to laugh at THEM when it goes Pete Tong. I'd rather he got the cash than some of the others

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 20:09

The wages of presenters in many cases is a nonsense. The issue for the BBC is the expensive stars will just go to the commercial channels if not paid enough. However, is Lineker really that much of a draw? Personally, I want to watch the games and couldn't care less what the presenters have to say.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 20:12

How many days work is that for I wonder. Had his BT salary on top as well.

Ridiculous.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 20:25

Deleted

Post Edited (Tue 06 Jul 20:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 20:42

The only reason there's a focus on his salary is he comes out with highly contentious statements such as:

Food banks are wrong.

Migrants shouldn't be left to die in the sea even if they may have been making an illegal crossing.

Really upsets the scum bags we've got the misfortune to share this bit of rock with so I don't mind it too much even though Jake is right.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 20:47

I don't mind Gary Lineker but there is no reason for a public funded broadcaster to pay someone this amount to present the football. Gabby Logan for example gets around £185000 and wouldnt make any difference to what you are watching.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Tue 6 Jul 23:05

Shearer earning £390K is more criminal!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 00:52

If you earn a taxable income of 75k per year the you are in the top 5% of UK earners. If you earn 236k per year then you`re in the top 0.5%. Earn 650k we`re into the top 0.1%
I`d reckon Lineker tops out at 2 million every year so he`s in the elite of the elite when it comes to earnings. Food banks are bad Gaz and they exist because governments aren`t taxing you and your chums enough.
If the beeb didn`t pay him enough would he maybe go to sky? Yeah he maybe would and then whoever is doing sky`s presenter job, and doing it adequately enough, wouldn`t have a job and he could present for the BBC. ITV is choked full of `stars` that they pinched from the BBC on big wages who have failed to deliver the audiences they had with the beeb.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Jul 00:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 07:56

Tax is difficult though. Increase tax on the super-rich and suddenly they're based in another country.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 08:30

Quote:

jake89, Wed 7 Jul 07:56

Tax is difficult though. Increase tax on the super-rich and suddenly they're based in another country.

So what have we lost? One scumbag who didn't pay tax anyway now doesn't pay tax elsewhere.

It also doesn't mean that we should be making it so easy to avoid tax. Rather than the country that the rich flee from in order to avoid their responsibilities, we are the one they flee too due to how easy we make it for the wealthy to avoid tax. We do this whilst simultaneously making it impossible for those on minimum wage to avoid paying every penny owed. Those are our priorities as a nation, yay us.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 08:42

But he does pay tax in this country. A LOT of tax, just not as much as he probably should.

So would you rather £50k in tax or £0k in tax? Multiply that by all the people earning above the threshold.

It needs all countries to get together to avoid this nonsense. One positive thing has been discussions on a minimum corporation tax rates.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 09:00

I`d be interested to know how he deserves to be called a scumbag.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 10:03

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 7 Jul 09:00

I`d be interested to know how he deserves to be called a scumbag.

Well of course he's not a scumbag at all - he does a pretty decent job as presenter, although I think a lot of his comments are scripted before he airs them. Are they all his own work or in collaboration? Probably the latter but so what?

Does he get paid far too much for what he does? Undoubtedly, but if his employers are prepared to pay him that crazy salary, should he ask for a cut? Let's not forget Alan Hansen was on £1.5 m a year before he retired and he was doing far less time on TV than Lineker. He'll be paying a good whack in tax, so much of the TV licence money used to pay him ends up back in the public purse.

Calling someone a scumbag because he earns a huge salary reeks of envy. Are all elite footballers and other sports stars all scumbags?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 10:44

I'm not calling him a scum bag I'm calling the folk that get riled at his Twitter posts saying things like migrants shouldn't die, scum bags.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 10:56

I presumed that was in reference to Wotsit's use of "scumbag", but that wasn't directed at Lineker either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 12:51

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 7 Jul 10:44

I'm not calling him a scum bag I'm calling the folk that get riled at his Twitter posts saying things like migrants shouldn't die, scum bags.

I was just replying to da no 1's post lpf. I know you well enough from your posts on here that you're car too intelligent to resort to that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 13:07

To be honest I just wanted to single that group out again 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 13:28

I didn`t even notice your post LPF, my reply was directed at Wotsit, although I appreciate I misread it.

Just don`t get the hate directed towards TV presenters. Someone has to do it, and I happen to think Lineker is pretty good at it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 13:48

Yes it is a ridiculous salary for some one presenting football programme , that being after him taking 25% wage cut, but when you look at it from a different angle, it is 4% Of what Gareth Bale earns playing football

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 16:07

Or instead of letting Tory boys single out footballers and presenters because its easy to play on our feeling that they're all over paid Prima Donna's let's compare it to the excess spend we had of £10 Billion on PPE equipment that we didn't have in stock or even the lower amount of of one botched PPE deal where they spunked £150m up the wall in face masks that weren't fit for purpose.

Keep in mind it's the Tory Government that mandated the BBC presenters salaries earning over £150k be published. It wouldn't happen to be as the BBC is filled with left wing liberal elitist types?

Julian Knight isn't happy with Linekar's salary:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57722068

He'd be much better placed using his influence to stop his mates handing our money over to their other mates in shady PPE deals but not a peep out of him on that front.

Yes TV presenters are probably over paid for what a lot of them do but let's keep it in perspective and keep the folk that should be front and center of discussions on wastes of tax payer money front and center rather than focusing on the likes of Linekar etc.

It's the same logic behind the focus on benefits:

1. Demonise benefits to the point that people believe folk scamming the system are the majority or are just lazy and don't deserve support.

2. Implement policies to dismantle the system and reduce the public service.

3. Keep focus on minorities of benefit cheats.

4. Rinse and repeat until ideological goals are achieved.

The Conservatives are trying to change the BBC and whilst the BBC are certainly not perfect, I'm not keen on letting the Tories use folks salaries to help stoke anti BBC feelings so they can replace it with whatever their vision of an "impartial" broadcaster should be!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 16:34

^^^ What an absolutely brilliant rant, lpf. Right on the money!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 16:36

I toned it down from the original draft 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 16:43

I know it's not about Lineker but about Zoe Ball, how on earth does she get over £1000000 a year. I was an avid radio 2 listener, then they gave her the morning show where she has managed to lose many many listeners. She a far bigger waste of money.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 16:45

I think the same but didn't want to single her out as per my above rant. Who is value for money will be completely subjective. Vanessa Feltz is on the list too which is staggering to me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 17:02

Let's be honest. All the folk calling him this and that would jump at it if bbc or any company offered them the same money to talk about football.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 18:18

Absolutely!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 18:27

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Wed 7 Jul 13:48

Yes it is a ridiculous salary for some one presenting football programme , that being after him taking 25% wage cut, but when you look at it from a different angle, it is 4% Of what Gareth Bale earns playing football

I Agree with this but there is a difference. BBC is funded by the TV licence and therefore should be accountable for what the money is spent on. Larger viewing figures doesn't actually gain it anything as it doesn't advertise and it can't sell its football content on like it does with Top Gear etc. They shouldn't be paying anyone on the BBC anything like that to present football as it doesnt represent any value to the licence payer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 19:05

"The Conservatives are trying to change the BBC and whilst the BBC are certainly not perfect, I`m not keen on letting the Tories use folks salaries to help stoke anti BBC feelings so they can replace it with whatever their vision of an "impartial" broadcaster should be!"

Not just the Tories though that like to stoke up anti BBC feeling. Should see the nonsense spouted about the beeb by some of the more rabid (and even some moderate) sections of the Scottish independence movement.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Jul 19:16

I've seen you say before the fact they seem to upset everyone would tend to indicate they aren't too heavily biased one way or another and it's a sentiment I'd agree with.

Ultimately they are a State Broadcaster so there will be some degree of control by the Government but they are a bit more independent than a lot of others and have upset quite a few folk along the way.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 22:38

I see Gary`s picked up another gig hosting a new game show for ITV. You`ve got to make ends meet somehow.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 22:49

I thought this was a football forum, not a party political broadcast, let’s keep our politics to ourselves eh!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 10:58

Sorry mate but there's a direct link between politics and why Lineker's salary is in the public domain so its relevant.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net