DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gareth Southgate
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:19

It sticks in my craw to say this about an England manager, but he`s the real deal as far as I can tell.

The way he speaks to the press is particularly impressive in my view; he doesn`t put up with any of their divisive and jingoistic nonsense but he does it in a way that ensures that they can`t turn on him or the players in the way that they have in the past.

It helps that he has a talented young squad of course, but plenty of managers have achieved nothing with better players.

EDIT: Nearly forgot - `mon the Italy!

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jul 13:20)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gareth Southgate
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:37

He does come across as a thoroughly decent nice guy - but I still hope his team get gubbed on Sunday

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:38

I think he seems like a decent guy and I`m glad on that level that they didn`t get horsed out in the groups and for him to be annihilated in the press as a failure of a footballer and catastrophe as a manager.

They`ve had their fun now though and right will prevail on Sunday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:43

I feel the same as Da-go. I don't want to watch England winning anything but I'm also glad they didn't get pumped as Southgate would have got slaughtered.

He comes across as an absolute gent but they've come far enough that they can celebrate progress after being edged out the final by Italy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:11

Agree. I like Southgate. Exemplary manners but I hope his team gets horsed on Sunday

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:23

Why the hell would you want Italy to win? They have won enough over the years. It`s England`s turn... and not before time. They have come through against some very tough opponents and got to where they are on merit.

It might stick in the craw of Scots seeing their neighbours winning for a change, but at least they are winning.

Until Scotland gets over the pathetic cringe that sees a goalless draw with England as somehow glorious, whilst they display a total lack of guile against moderate sides like the Czechs and the Croatians, the situation is just hopeless north of the border.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:29

A draw against the team in the final is something to celebrate. However, it's a shame there weren't similar performances against other teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:35

"Why the hell would you want Italy to win? They have won enough over the years. It`s England`s turn... and not before time. They have come through against some very tough opponents and got to where they are on merit.

It might stick in the craw of Scots seeing their neighbours winning for a change, but at least they are winning.

Until Scotland gets over the pathetic cringe that sees a goalless draw with England as somehow glorious, whilst they display a total lack of guile against moderate sides like the Czechs and the Croatians, the situation is just hopeless north of the border."

Im in the middle, for guys i know and that travel around the world I want them to enjoy success. I dont get scottish guys who obsess over english football and EPL etc but detest england when they cheer on their players when they wear a red utd/liverpool shirt etc. The other side and the worst side is the media, Ian Wright and Rio Ferdinand especially...Come 10pm sunday I want to be downing pints of their tears whilst they watch Italy walk up the steps in their own back yard to lift the trophy

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:45

cracking guy, brilliant international manager and wish him all the best on Sunday. I must be the only guy on don't net that wants them to win but dosn't think they will.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:48

PuP - 100% I have a very good friend who travels to EVERY England game home and away - I lived down there for 8 years and the banter was always good natured and I`d love to receive a text from him Sunday night celebrating as much as I`d love to send him one asking if it came home (after their defeat)

On the Southgate point he is a great frontman for the national team set-up - Im not convinced he`s the mastermind behind it all - Steve Holland his assistant has worked under some of the greatest tacticians of our generation whilst at Chelsea (Mourinho, Benitez, Hiddink) so am sure has a say - but as a leader of the team and staff Southgate really seems like a top guy

*I also heard that hes getting his suits from local up and coming tailors in and around London to help get them exposure after the range of Burtons suits from the WC2018 flew off the shelves he wanted to help independent tailors ! Thats classy

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:48

"Why the hell would you want Italy to win? "

A bunch of us have Italian heritage. You seem to hate them because Lucas Neill dived in and gave away a penalty 15 years ago.

For many others, it`s the same reason people who`ve experienced it don`t like Australia winning. The absolutely insufferable media.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:55

"Why the hell would you want Italy to win? They have won enough over the years. It`s England`s turn... and not before time. They have come through against some very tough opponents and got to where they are on merit.

Until Scotland gets over the pathetic cringe that sees a goalless draw with England as somehow glorious, whilst they display a total lack of guile against moderate sides like the Czechs and the Croatians, the situation is just hopeless north of the border."

So Czech Republic and Croatia were `very tough opponents` when England played them but `moderate sides` when Scotland played them? Maybe it`s you who has the `pathetic cringe`, Oz! The goalless draw at Wembley was a good result at the time when you consider England`s record there and we needed a result to keep our chances of qualification alive.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:14

Matteo Berrettini has become the first Italian ever to make it to a Wimbledon final.

Surely an omen?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:16

We drew 0-0 with a team ranked 4th in the world which gave us a chance of getting through to the next round. I reckon we would have celebrated that result against any of the top sides in the competition, not just England.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:24

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 9 Jul 14:23

Why the hell would you want Italy to win? They have won enough over the years. It`s England`s turn... and not before time. They have come through against some very tough opponents and got to where they are on merit.

Until Scotland gets over the pathetic cringe that sees a goalless draw with England as somehow glorious, whilst they display a total lack of guile against moderate sides like the Czechs and the Croatians, the situation is just hopeless north of the border.

I look forward to your posts urging Falkirk on to victory in their games this season.
I don't want England to win for the same reason I don't want Falkirk to win. They are our biggest rivals.
If they win I will be happy for my English pals but there is no way I want it to happen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:27

The only people that I’ve met that want England to win are the English , the hardened loyalists from Govan and those tragic attention seeker types.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:30

"Matteo Berrettini has become the first Italian ever to make it to a Wimbledon final.

Surely an omen?"

And Italy won Eurovision. A memorable treble on its way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:42

I must have imagined watching Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci winning the ladies doubles in 2014. Or maybe they aren’t Italian.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:52

You want to get out a bit more Sergio

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:53

"I must have imagined watching Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci winning the ladies doubles in 2014. Or maybe they aren’t Italian."

That`s not massively pedantic

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jul 16:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 19:47

England players donating their money to charity, should they win!👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 19:55

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Fri 9 Jul 14:11

Agree. I like Southgate. Exemplary manners but I hope his team gets horsed on Sunday

This.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 20:04

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Fri 09 Jul 16:14

Matteo Berrettini has become the first Italian ever to make it to a Wimbledon final.

Surely an omen?

I was thinking the same Raymie. Would be a good double.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 20:14

To be fair, it’s pretty impossible to not like Gareth Southgate. He is just a very nice man lol
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 20:40

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 9 Jul 19:47

England players donating their money to charity, should they win!👍

Nice touch

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 21:37

Quote:

AlterPar, Fri 9 Jul 20:14

To be fair, it’s pretty impossible to not like Gareth Southgate. He is just a very nice man lol

Even Roy Keane likes him!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 21:42

You`s are saying all these nice things about Southgate but I think, and I have absolutely no proof to back this up, that he is the type of bloke who would pass wind in a crowded elevator just before he`s about to leave. Further I think he`d do it with a smirk on his face.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 22:12

It ain't a crime if you don't get caught.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 22:49

[So Czech Republic and Croatia were `very tough opponents` when England played them but `moderate sides` when Scotland played them? Maybe it`s you who has the `pathetic cringe`, Oz! The goalless draw at Wembley was a good result at the time when you consider England`s record there and we needed a result to keep our chances of qualification alive.]

No, that is not good enough, wee eck. I was referring to Germany and Denmark when I said "very tough opponents".

It really does my head in that Scots accept a workmanlike draw against England as a satisfactory outcome from a prestigious international tournament.

With an apparently inferior league system to Scotland and just a couple of moderate-sized clubs playing in the EFL, Wales managed to get to the Euro semi-finals last time around. This time, they got through to the round of 16.

Scotland? In our first tournament in decades, we achieved a draw with England and got well-cuffed by a couple of very average national sides.

It should be a source of national shame, not pride, that we accept mediocrity as an outcome. The propensity of Scots fans to gather in groups, puff their chests out and make loud noises is all very well if you can back it up with displays of guile and achievements on the park.

It is precisely this lack of guile - lack of smarts and cunning if you like - that has held Scotland back on the football field since the 1970s. Are we destined to be perpetually seen as suckers and easy targets on the international scene? Or can we find our own Gary Southgate to steer us into the mainstream of world football where we can compete more equitably?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 23:28

For some reason, Oz, you decided to hi-jack a thread about Gareth Southgate to discuss Scotland. Your post didn`t even mention him. I think most of us have moved on from our performance to discuss other aspects of the tournament. You seem to think we`re not entitled to do this until we can emulate the success of other teams. If you want an in-depth discussion of our failings maybe you should open a new thread.

There`s still a contradiction in your argument though, singing England`s praises then describing our draw against them as `workmanlike`. You`re just like so many Pars` fans on here who diminish any result we achieve whilst praising other teams as if they were world-beaters.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 23:48

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 9 Jul 21:37

Quote:

Felt strange hearing Roy Keane talk so glowingly about anyone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 02:46

Agree with you Oz
If we accept a 0 0 draw as success then we will never move on
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 08:10

Quote:

Rigger Al, Sat 10 Jul 02:46

Agree with you Oz

Maybe you guys should get a bit of perspective and stop thinking we have some god given right to be successful all the time .
Our set up in Scotland has been a joke for years down to the top brass and clubs all working towards self preservance rather than for the best interests of the future.

And I'm sorry , but as a Scotland fan, I will appreciate the effort that was made by the players in getting an 0-0 draw against one of the best teams in Europe away from home, the last time we played them there we got 3-0 going on 6.
You guys have to stop living in the past and thinking about how good they were in the past, that is part of the problem.

The national team has to do the best with what they have got because at the moment the powers that be are to scared to change in case it upsets owners and chairman and we are not just talking about Rangers and Celtic , case in point being Brechin and Cowdenbeath doing their best to halt the progress of teams like Kelty and Brora.
Their blinkered view to even contemplate looking at other associations throughout Europe to see how they changed their attitudes because all they want to be compared with is the leagues down south stinks of unprofessionalism.

Oh and on topic.....I think Southgate has done a great job, but as someone else said, in a sporting sense , I don't want our closest rivals winning anything 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 08:13

I'm not sure why there's so much comment on celebrating the 0 0 draw tbh.

If it was the last game of the group and meant we were out then absolutely - it would have been totally meaningless and pointless to celebrate.

However, they expected just to turn up to beat us. They didn't.

If they'd won we were out - the point meant we took it to our last game & 4 points would have got us through had we managed to beat Croatia. This seems to be constantly overlooked when comments are made about it for some reason! At the time, we DID actually have something to celebrate.

Personally, it was the first time I've been to Wembley & not lost. So yes, I celebrated - for ALL of the above!!

I certainly don't think it's a pinnacle but considering where we've been for the last 23 years, it's a massive improvement (being back at a major tournament) and hopefully a stepping stone to better things to come for the national team 🤞🏼

COME ON YE PARS!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 08:56

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Fri 9 Jul 16:14

Surely an omen?

That a lot of Italians will lose on Sunday? 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 11:25

Southgate now comparing a war that ended 76 years ago to a football match but yeah, great guy ……

Southgate: “People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back. You can’t hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that.”

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jul 11:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 12:26

Quote:

Jeffery, Fri 9 Jul 23:48

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 9 Jul 21:37

Quote:

Felt strange hearing Roy Keane talk so glowingly about anyone!

Yeah it was a weird one especially as they'd just shown a photo of him stamping on Southgate 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 12:31

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sat 10 Jul 11:25

Southgate now comparing a war that ended 76 years ago to a football match but yeah, great guy ……

Southgate: “People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back. You can’t hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that.”

To be fair, that's the first time I've ever heard him quote a comparison out with football......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 15:40

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Sat 10 Jul 08:10

Quote:

Agree with you Oz

Maybe you guys should get a bit of perspective and stop thinking we have some god given right to be successful all the time .
Our set up in Scotland has been a joke for years down to the top brass and clubs all working towards self preservance rather than for the best interests of the future.

And I'm sorry , but as a Scotland fan, I will appreciate the effort that was made by the players in getting an 0-0 draw against one of the best teams in Europe away from home, the last time we played them there we got 3-0 going on 6.
You guys have to stop living in the past and thinking about how good they were in the past, that is part of the problem.

The national team has to do the best with what they have got because at the moment the powers that be are to scared to change in case it upsets owners and chairman and we are not just talking about Rangers and Celtic , case in point being Brechin and Cowdenbeath doing their best to halt the progress of teams like Kelty and Brora.
Their blinkered view to even contemplate looking at other associations throughout Europe to see how they changed their attitudes because all they want to be compared with is the leagues down south stinks of unprofessionalism.

Oh and on topic.....I think Southgate has done a great job, but as someone else said, in a sporting sense , I don't want our closest rivals winning anything 😉

Settle down ,its just an opinion
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 17:06

Quote:

Rigger Al, Sat 10 Jul 15:40

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Sat 10 Jul 08:10

Quote:

Agree with you Oz

Settle down ,its just an opinion

And so is mine.......

What's your point ???
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 17:55

It sounds like Southgate is after a knighthood with all that Jingoism about WW2. His references to invasions being fought off will be music to the ears of the little Englanders who hand out the gongs. Southgate’s open letter to the nation (England) would be better read from a pulpit in terms on content, although the language is littered with teenage expressions such as ‘incredible’ and ‘unbelievable.’ His claim that the country (now the UK I think) has had a massive influence on the world beyond its size is a nod towards the British Empire I imagine, and perversely a justification for the very invasions he claims to be against. The notion that in the UK people spend too much time talking the country down is preposterous given the compliant media we endure who act as cheerleaders for the rich and powerful.

Southgate’s trying to face both ways like Keir Starmer and the result might end up the same: loads of kind words when victory is not achieved.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:27

To be fair Sammer, the word “incredible” appears in both Charles Dickens’ Bleak House and Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.

So it’s hardly a “teenage expression “.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:36

Bleak House was published in 1852 Tad Allagash .. sammer was still a teenager then :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:48

Any one else having pizza tonight 😀

https://youtu.be/KvZWGYkTR7U

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:35

Quote:

dave67, Sun 11 Jul 16:48

Any one else having pizza tonight 😀

https://youtu.be/KvZWGYkTR7U

Spaghetti Bolognese
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:29

I`ll take your point TAD. I actually had to study Bleak House as part of my degree and respect it as a great work of English Literature. Dickens extended what the novel could be.
But when I hear the gushing Balirite prose of the modern politician, full of open eyed wonder at the potential of capitalism, I am sure you can understand my reservations. Words like `incredible` have no place in a society based on a scientific proof.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:51

Quote:

am I actually reading this properly ??

very tough opponents...... one semi difficult game against Germany who would beaten them if had taken their chances

why he hell would we want Italy to win ? cause its cause sporting rivalry !! say was Aberdeen v falkirk in Scottish cup, u seriously think we would want falkirk to win ??

really don't know what planet some folk are on when you see posts like that
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:28

Quote:

No it isnae.

Lighten up ya miserable sod. Irrational fitba rivalry is the lifeblood of the game. Fitba would be NOTHING without it. Fact

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 01:25

Rivalry I will take. But to see Scots regard a frickin draw against the English as a triumph is mind boggling and depressing.

And what is this nonsense about a god given right to be successful all the time? Are you serious? To be successful some of the time would be enough for me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 01:26

if you play nearly everygame at wembley get biggest percentage of fans and score in first 2 mins but still cant win your crap football has been derailed and on its way to rome england never played good team till met italians and robbed denmark with biggest dive since mark spitz in olympics also got most arrogant fans and media commentators so got what they deserved

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 01:39

Quote:

OzPar, Mon 12 Jul 01:25

Rivalry I will take. But to see Scots regard a frickin draw against the English as a triumph is mind boggling and depressing.

And what is this nonsense about a god given right to be successful all the time? Are you serious? To be successful some of the time would be enough for me.

cause we know we are crap, all the English media and fans thought it was gonna be 4 or 5 goal victory without trying cause they hyped themselves up so much.

so when a team goes to say ibrox or celtic park, get a unexpected draw, they shouldn't think that as a triumph no ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 03:51

Of course, I get where you are coming from, PARS207. I just think we have to raise our ambitions and look beyond Hadrian`s Wall.

To extend your analogy... okay, a draw at Ibrox or Parkhead would be nice, but what would be nicer still, would be seeing the Pars compete on equal terms with the St Johnstones and the Motherwells, and occasionally have the guile to defeat teams like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs in crunch matches.

All I am asking for is for Scottish football to stop this obsession with England and look to emulate the likes of Denmark, Croatia and Sweden.

Denmark, Finland, Slovakia, Norway and Croatia all have a population very similar to Scotland`s 5.5 million. Yet, they all outrank us on the FIFA table. Not to mention tiny Wales, who are a full 30 places ahead of us on the national table.

Okay, I might be a miserable sod, but I don`t think it is too much to ask for Scotland to do a whole lot better than this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 08:12

I don't think we have an obsession with England tbh but we were drawn against them so it was always going to be a stand out fixture.

Totally agree with your point about being able to compete better - I've said myself in the past we should learn more from the likes of Iceland & Hungary who emerged in the last Euros.

Belgium and Italy are also great examples - didn't qualify for tournaments so went back to basics & look at them both now.

Wales - hmm - maybe not so much. They've got 2 World class players & once they're finished, I'd expect them to slide back down the rankings again. I'd be very surprised if they don't.

The 0 0 means nothing now but as discussed previously - it WAS a good result at the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating a good result even if it's not a win.

We have to start somewhere & this summer is something to build on - it's still not going to be easy but hopefully it's not another 23 years before we dine at the big table again.

COME ON YE PARS!

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 08:20)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 08:19

Gareth is the English Jose Mourinho.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 09:29

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 12 Jul 08:19

He can kiss his knighthood goodbye now.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 10:18

Can’t believe Gareth put the youngsters up for the spot kicks. He certainly should know better, has he consigned Saka to doing pizza adverts until he can pass the penalty baton onto the next poor sod!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 11:55

I don't see a problem with the kids taking penalties, He put faith in kids as soon as he took the England job. He has worked with these boys since schoolboy football

My problem is why Sterling, Grealish and Shaw didn't insist on taking one. I know GS said he picked penalty takers but that's just a manager taking the blame off his team, and rightly so

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 11:59

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 12 Jul 09:29

Quote:

On the contrary GG, I think the full team will receive knighthoods

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 12:11

Grealish has come out saying he wanted to take one and put his name forward.

The call was Southgates.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 12:15

Cavendish better win the BBC Sportsman of the year award or I will be livid.
England won nothing.
He recorded the equalling and potential to bear Eddie Mercx number of tour wins so far in this Tour de France after major adversity.
They better get nowhere near it.
Still plenty of time for them to be knocked out the World Cup and any fears of that will be limited.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 12:15

I do feel for Southgate. He seems like a genuinely nice guy but I`m still delighted Italy won the game. The majority of the England players don`t bother me but the reason I would have been gutted to see them win is because of the never ending talk about it on TV, social media and internet. They still talk about 66 and the majority of them weren`t even born to witness it! If the media weren`t so irritating and arrogant I wouldn`t be as bothered but they seem to think they are the centre of the universe which drives me mental as there is no escaping it! Wales didn`t get this attention when they got to the semis in the last euros..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 12:34

Quote:

OzPar, Mon 12 Jul 03:51

Of course, I get where you are coming from, PARS207. I just think we have to raise our ambitions and look beyond Hadrian`s Wall.

To extend your analogy... okay, a draw at Ibrox or Parkhead would be nice, but what would be nicer still, would be seeing the Pars compete on equal terms with the St Johnstones and the Motherwells, and occasionally have the guile to defeat teams like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs in crunch matches.

All I am asking for is for Scottish football to stop this obsession with England and look to emulate the likes of Denmark, Croatia and Sweden.

Denmark, Finland, Slovakia, Norway and Croatia all have a population very similar to Scotland`s 5.5 million. Yet, they all outrank us on the FIFA table. Not to mention tiny Wales, who are a full 30 places ahead of us on the national table.

Okay, I might be a miserable sod, but I don`t think it is too much to ask for Scotland to do a whole lot better than this.

Emulate Croatia who would hate Serbia to win or Sweden who hate to see Norway win? If we celebrated a draw with a different top seed like Spain or Italy would you bump your gums then? I know nobody who took the disappointment (of which there was loads) of the other two matches and said it was ok because we drew with England.

“Local rivals are the ones with whom we have most in common. We often live in the same cities, attend the same schools, drink in the same pubs and speak with the same accents. The smaller the difference between rivals, the greater the hatred. There are few identifying markers that could distinguish a Spurs fan from an Arsenal fan, a United from a City fan, a Liverpool from an Everton fan. It’d be a little easier to guess a Liverpool from a Spurs fan or an Everton from an Arsenal fan. The teams who are least different are the ones who hate each other the most.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/23/the-psychology-of-football-rivalries?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 12:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 13:02

Cheers Berry, I never seen that, turned off after pens

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 13:58

Looking at the subs that were made I think they'd already decided pre game who was going to take them. Sterling has never stepped back from taking a penalty even though his record is a bit mixed. I'd have put Saka in ahead of him as well if he'd been doing the business in training.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 16:53

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 12 Jul 11:55

I don't see a problem with the kids taking penalties, He put faith in kids as soon as he took the England job. He has worked with these boys since schoolboy football

My problem is why Sterling, Grealish and Shaw didn't insist on taking one. I know GS said he picked penalty takers but that's just a manager taking the blame off his team, and rightly so

The problem is that the kids missed their kicks. It may take them a long time to recover from the fall out, especially the vile racist abuse on social media. None of us can know for certain how keen the more senior player were/ weren't. Is Southgate taking the blame for them? Could be. If so, it's very noble of him but not making him look too clever.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 17:09

Are keepers more adept now at saving penalties .. or are the penalty takers overthinking .. We quick steps.. a pause .. a skip .. wait till the keeper commits ..etc.etc... Rashford who is normally a reliable penalty taker was the worst miss for me .. at least Sancho and Saka were on target .. but is it a miss or a great save ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 17:35

Quote:

Why the hell would you want Italy to win? They have won enough over the years. It`s England`s turn... and not before time.

It's England's turn... to carry on winning nothing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 17:41

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 12 Jul 11:59

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 12 Jul 09:29

Quote:

On the contrary GG, I think the full team will receive knighthoods

Really? They've won nowt. I'm pretty sure the 1966 squad weren't all knighted an masse. Rumour has it they won something... 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 18:03

I know they have won nothing but I think Lizzy will Knight the full squad

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 18:45

Highly unlikely. Olympics start in a couple of weeks so the UK won`t be short of sporting success stories.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 19:12

But when Denmark did well, it wasn’t over every inch off Swedish tv… So perhaps it may be easier for someone from one Scandi country to be less influenced by the success or failures of another

And from my mate who lives in Norway, he was saying they all hate Sweden so maybe all football fans have rivalries and laugh when those on the other side of that rivalry gets beaten?

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 19:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 20:01

best irony was italian goal was scored in 66mins and 30secs and italy had 66% of play couldnt make it up

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 20:37

Southgate went down in my estimation some years back when he did the Pizza Hut commercial on the back of his Euro `96 penalty miss - with Pearce and Waddell as supporting acts.

Unless of course they donated their fees to charity.............which I doubt.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net