DAFC.net
Home 24 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 what football rules should change
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Thu 8 Jul 23:28

i’m fed up with some aspects of the game and change must happen
1: players play acting.
is football contact or not, small contacts should not be an excuse for falling, tripping, players can’t run at a player and claim obstruction

2:injuries
many are nonsense, change to rugby style and allow physio into the park for treatment and dot stop unless it is serious, will make players play act less and recover faster

3: arms around each other in penalty box, sorry it’s a penalty

4: time wasting to allow ball to go out or at corner flag, it’s obstruction

5: players barracking the ref both verbally and by gestures, yellow card

6: behind the scenes fouls that ref did not see deal with after the match.

any others?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: what football rules should change
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 8 Jul 23:58

Ozpar was on this topic in another post. The governing idea should be that cheats don`t prosper.

So, a player who goes to ground when he could, in the opinion of the referee, have stayed on his feet is not awarded a foul even where there was contact. Contact is not a foul unless it seriously prevents a player from his intended actions. As a consequence, going to ground is not rewarded but actually ignored. That would place a lot on referees I suppose but that is the nature of refereeing.

As for injuries, unless it is head knocks then ignore also. If a player lies on the park allow the physio on but continue the game. If his leg is broken then it matters little how fast he receives treatment anyway. And BTW, there seem to be far fewer broken legs in the game these days anyway.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 00:16

Quote:

thebear, Thu 8 Jul 23:28

i’m fed up with some aspects of the game and change must happen
1: players play acting.
is football contact or not, small contacts should not be an excuse for falling, tripping, players can’t run at a player and claim obstruction

2:injuries
many are nonsense, change to rugby style and allow physio into the park for treatment and dot stop unless it is serious, will make players play act less and recover faster

3: arms around each other in penalty box, sorry it’s a penalty

4: time wasting to allow ball to go out or at corner flag, it’s obstruction

5: players barracking the ref both verbally and by gestures, yellow card

6: behind the scenes fouls that ref did not see deal with after the match.

any others?

Can't help but feel that the majority of these are already rules anyway? Probably pointing towards the need for better enforcement of the existing rules, rather than actual changes.

I think there is a sense of romance when it comes to discussing the rules of football and sportsmanship. Football fans in general like to go on about the importance of tactics - particularly when in possession - but ultimately managers will tactically set up their teams to take full advantage of the rules that exist at that time. Although it might be a split second decision, fouling a player in order for your team to get back into position, or to get some respite when you're under pressure, is simply a tactic. Maybe it doesn't conform to the romantic view of football, but it's part of the game, and whatever changes are made to the rules, players will continue to bend them to the absolute limit to gain any advantage possible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bedworth par  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 00:55

Currently football`s advantage rule is not fit for purpose. Contact in or near the box? Go down because if you don`t it`s play on and if you don`t score, tough luck. Just signal advantage and if there`s none bring it back. Free kick, allow to take to yourself like rugby and hockey all opponents need to be requisite distance or move free kick forward 10. If it becomes penalty so be it. Players would soon learn. VAR tell referee of potential foul play or, more likely play acting. Play actors yellow card. Yellow card, 15 minutes in the sin bin. Thereby punishing the offender in the game they offended in. Talking back to referee, yellow/red depending on what is said and how. Stop using "passion" as an excuse for abuse.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 08:52

there are no rules only laws ;)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 08:58

I think cynical fouls to prevent a counter attack, with no attempt to play the ball, should be a straight red.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 10:02

Standing in front of a free kick until your defence gets back should be yellow card

Shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, where anywhere else on the field would be blatant obstruction

Keepers are way over protected

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 10:18

I`ve mentioned this a few times before but the offside rule doesn`t make any sense in football.

The reference for assessing whether a player is offside or not is the goal line - and getting to the ball to the goal line in football isn`t particularly important. I`d argue the goal itself is slightly more key to the object of the game.

Indeed, we have the strange anomaly that someone could be judged offside despite the entire opposition side being closer to the goal than they are e.g. a one-two from a short corner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 10:38

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 9 Jul 10:18

I`ve mentioned this a few times before but the offside rule doesn`t make any sense in football.

The reference for assessing whether a player is offside or not is the goal line - and getting to the ball to the goal line in football isn`t particularly important. I`d argue the goal itself is slightly more key to the object of the game.

Indeed, we have the strange anomaly that someone could be judged offside despite the entire opposition side being closer to the goal than they are e.g. a one-two from a short corner.

u couldn't change the offside law to the goal rather than the goal line as how is the assistant supposed supposed judge that
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 10:54

They don't judge it at the moment in elite level matches.

It's also not much of a solution to agree that a rule doesn't make sense but we should just stick with it as an alternative might be difficult.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 11:04

Hockey ditched the offside rule a while back. I think it`s generally seen as a positive change.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 11:11

I would like to see the offside rule dropped in extra time, also if a ball goes out of play and enters again without hitting anything should be played on

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jul 11:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 11:12

They could experiment for sure. Assistant doesn`t call offside at all. VAR looks at it if the passage of play results in a corner, free-kick, penalty or goal to the attacking sides.

Use curved lines to see if the player was nearer the goal than the last defender when the ball is played.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 11:48

Straight lines/curved lines? So we`re going to have different Laws for different levels of the game? At the moment everyone`s playing in accordance with the same Laws but the top levels have the assistance of technology. The Laws used to be basically quite simple but now they`re getting more and more complicated and less clear.

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jul 12:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:06

"Straight lines/curved lines? So we`re going to have different Laws for different levels of the game? At the moment everyone`s playing in accordance with the same Laws but the top levels have the assistance of technology. The Laws used to be basically quite simple but now they`re getting more and more complicated and less clear."

exactly that. The best thing about football is whether its the world cup final in brazil or the school playground at lunchtime its the same laws that are used. Next goal wins/"golden Goal" penalty shoot outs etc. Thats the beauty of the game. Sadly with VAR seems to be on a tangent to becoming very different.

Many things mentioned above are actually in the Laws already and whether its just not punished or picked up as frequently as should be is another matter. Some enjoy the game as it is. Gary Lineker has been vocal about how refreshing it is for refs to let games go at the current tournament without blowing for every bit of contact.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:13

Some totally unworkable and bizarre ideas above !!!

Obstruction.... pretty sure thats not included in the laws now anyway.

Offside.... nothing wrong with the law, its the implementation especially with VAR that is the issue. Cant have one set of laws for top leagues and different laws for game in the lower leagues or public parks.

Curved lines.... wtf !!!

Ball out of play only if touches something outside the park...... thats just stupid! Like saying ok now its only a goal if it his the net in the goal.

Sheparding the ball out is fine as long as within playing distance of the ball, same as u would do anywhere else on the park.

Yes the cynical foul should be red rather than yellow.

As for the off the ball incidents officials didnt see, that`s already done if video evidence at a game that doesnt have VAR.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:19

Some simple tweaks would make the game fairer.

Things like ref in position in line where the ball actually goes out of play so they can make sure the throw in is taken at the correct spot. Will stop full backs especially stealing 15 to 20 yards at defensive throw ins. Was one group game in the euros there that they guy took the throw in past the top of the D at the edge of the box and the ball went out of play off the corner flag !!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:25

A few years ago on that was contemplated by FIFA to change from a throw in to a kick in.
I really like this idea as it would immediately stop players stealing 10 or 15 yards as its hard to walk up the line when the ball is on the ground.
It would also create more goal scoring opportunities as the ball can be crossed in from a kick in.
Would like to see this idea trialed somewhere and see if it improves the game.

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jul 13:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 13:28

When I played football when I was younger, there used to be some immobile refs officiating (including calling offsides) whilst barely moving from the centre circle, ably assisted by a couple of randoms who ran the line only to flag if the ball went out.

I've yet to see that system adopted in El Classico.

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jul 13:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 14:52

They should add an offside line like in Subbuteo - can only be offside 35 yards from goal or closer - would means team have to drop off a few yards stop all the high press games and open up the midfield a little more

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:04

PARS207 of course the obstruction rule is still in football, it is now called "impeding the progress of opponent"

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:20

As soon as someone is offside put the flag up right away ffs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:22

"Curved lines.... wtf !!! "

They literally use (sort of) straight lines on VAR to see if an attacking player was nearer the goal line when a pass was made.

It`s just using the technology to see if he`s actually nearer the goal.

I`ve yet to see a good argument why someone should be offside down by the corner flag when the entire defending team is in the box defending their goal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:26

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Fri 9 Jul 15:04

PARS207 of course the obstruction rule is still in football, it is now called "impeding the progress of opponent"

Wording is wrong. Plus it's not a rule they are laws.....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:26

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Fri 9 Jul 13:25

A few years ago on that was contemplated by FIFA to change from a throw in to a kick in.
I really like this idea as it would immediately stop players stealing 10 or 15 yards as its hard to walk up the line when the ball is on the ground.
It would also create more goal scoring opportunities as the ball can be crossed in from a kick in.

Kick ins were trialled a few years back in the Belgian lower leagues and another country I can't recall... It didn't really go down too well and didn't go any further. Can't remember the ins and outs of it all tbh

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:35

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 9 Jul 15:22

They literally use (sort of) straight lines on VAR to see if an attacking player was nearer the goal line when a pass was made.

I`ve yet to see a good argument why someone should be offside down by the corner flag when the entire defending team is in the box defending their goal.

eh cause the law is closer to the goal line not the goal!!!

Say striker standing penalty spot, but the defender is inline with 6 yard box on the other side of the 18yrd box on the line u really think the striker should be given offside then cause he is closer to the goal?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:49

I think if you`re having an offside rule in football, that`s fairer. Say a defender goes down injured by the goal line and plays a striker onside who is 6 yards out and in the middle of the goal, is it right that the striker is advantaged by that?

As I said, I`d experiment with it - and experiment with no offside - and have a look at the results. Rather than thinking that we`ve always done it one way, so we should always do it that way.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:55

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 9 Jul 15:22

Because it gives them a huge advantage to cross the ball in. There could be a player in the middle also in an offside position but since the ball doesn't go to him he is not deemed offside. If the guy on the wing gets it and under the conditions you describe then he can pass into the middle.
Your idea is unworkable and introduces more problems than it solves.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 15:57

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 9 Jul 15:49

I think if you`re having an offside rule in football, that`s fairer. Say a defender goes down injured by the goal line and plays a striker onside who is 6 yards out and in the middle of the goal, is it right that the striker is advantaged by that?

As I said, I`d experiment with it - and experiment with no offside - and have a look at the results. Rather than thinking that we`ve always done it one way, so we should always do it that way.

Yes that's fair for the goal to stand why shouldn't it stand.

OK go back to the play off game then at Starks in May, goal that Vaughan scored he is onside cause Thomas tracked back went off the pitch and couldn't get back up ahead of defensive line, u think that should not count as a goal ?

The law as it is this now is fair and its always been that way to the goal line.

To the goal.... what part of the goal ?

Trying to make a law ten times more difficult for the assistant to look at if going by "to the goal".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:07

Quote:

widtink, Fri 9 Jul 15:26

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Fri 9 Jul 13:25

Kick ins were trialled a few years back in the Belgian lower leagues and another country I can't recall... It didn't really go down too well and didn't go any further. Can't remember the ins and outs of it all tbh

Cheers for that. Had a look into it. Was also Hungary lower leagues and Diadora league which was 7th tier in England.

I hadn't thought from a defensive point of view if it goes out at near the corner you can just punt it up the park instead of the opposition boxing you in there.

Maybe if it had to be a short kick it would work and stop the yard stealing. Other than that it's maybe not so great an idea after all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:09

"To the goal.... what part of the goal". The middle of the goal.

"OK go back to the play off game then at Starks in May, goal that Vaughan scored he is onside cause Thomas tracked back went off the pitch and couldn`t get back up ahead of defensive line, u think that should not count as a goal ?"

You`re in a fluster trying to defend the offside rule and reference a Rovers goal against the Pars? I am happy with whatever rule we can find ruling out a Rovers goal.

To answer the question though, I can`t remember the exact goal, plus there`s no point in referencing goals scored based on the current rule is there? Presumably Vaughan does something different in that scenario? Or nothing different if we experimented with no offside and it turned out hat it worked.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:10

"Because it gives them a huge advantage to cross the ball in. There could be a player in the middle also in an offside position but since the ball doesn`t go to him he is not deemed offside."

Eh?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:12

Quote:

PARS207, Fri 9 Jul 15:26

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Fri 9 Jul 15:04

Wording is wrong. Plus it's not a rule they are laws.....

Yaaaawwwwnnn

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:29

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 9 Jul 16:10

"Because it gives them a huge advantage to cross the ball in. There could be a player in the middle also in an offside position but since the ball doesn`t go to him he is not deemed offside."

Eh?

The player in the middle has 2 or 3 yards on the defenders. He is not offside as the ball doesn't go to him. It goes to the winger who under your rules is not offside. He crosses to the guy in the middle who the defence are not able to catch up with.

Your idea is terrible.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:32

Sounds like the guy in the middle is very much offside to me...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 16:41

In a fluster trying to defend the offside law?

Take your word for it!!

As sadindiefreak says, your idea is terrible.

How do you coach defenders then with this idea you have dreamt up then ?

As for the no point referencing previous goals, well how else are people supposed to compare the current law to the madness you have dreamt up? Course people going to look at instances from the current law to either give weight or take away from someones idea.

So many instances where the "to the goal" idea falls down.

Assistant referees would need be some sort of geniuses to calculate the distance players are away from the middle of the goal compared to judging is one player ahead of another looking across the width of the park with the current law.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 17:02

See my post at 11:12...

What if the experiment with no offside showed it worked really well? Then you wouldn`t need to worry about coaching it. If closer to the goal worked, then you coach the defenders to defend rather than worry about some sort of outdated offside trap. I am not sure there are many George Graham types out there anymore anyway. The offside rule has changed so much with the active/inactive players and the phases of play tests that they have now.

"As for the no point referencing previous goals, well how else are people supposed to compare the current law to the madness you have dreamt up? Course people going to look at instances from the current law to either give weight or take away from someones idea."

Still makes it a moot point. It would revolutionise the game. Comparing a real life situation that happened in a game played under different rules doesn`t make any sense.

Why are you so worried about experimenting with it? Never thought I`d see anyone so passionately defending the offside rule. I put it to you that you`ve never considered this - and for some reason it`s triggered something in you that works you up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 17:15

nah just bored out my mind and its a shocking idea

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 17:36

There was an FA cup game on telly a couple of years ago between Solihull and Blackpool where Solihull had a goal chalked off from a short corner.

The boy taking the corner passes it a couple of yards to a teammate who stops the ball and allows him to whip it in from a better angle. But as he started from on the goal line, he had to be offside.

Blackpool had 11 players closer to the goal, but the boy that took the corner was on the goal line so was offside.

A lot of people were confused as they though offside only applied when the ball was played forward, but this is not the case.

So whilst the linesman was technically correct, it’s hard to see the point of the offside rule in this situation.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 17:40

Tad, its amazing how many "fans" dont know the laws! Old myth about the ball didnt go forward so how can he be offside lol

And worryingly seen a number of instances in EPL where that situation happens and the assistants just ignore it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 17:45

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Fri 9 Jul 17:36

The boy taking the corner passes it a couple of yards to a teammate who stops the ball and allows him to whip it in from a better angle.
>
>
>
So whilst the linesman was technically correct, it’s hard to see the point of the offside rule in this situation.

Because he sought to gain an advantage (better angle, closer to the goal) by coming from an offside position to play the ball.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jul 18:18

Still makes the law look daft. Penalizing someone for getting a slightly better angle for a cross with the entire opposition closer to the goal.

Football is about gaining advantages - this particular example shouldn't be punished though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swisspar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 16:09

Quote:

Parfect69, Fri 9 Jul 15:20

As soon as someone is offside put the flag up right away ffs

THIS!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 23:05

I would take the goalie out of the offside rule and just make it 1 defender. Its not something that happens very often though but an easy change.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net