DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 England v Italy
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 06:59

I`m starting this thread early by popular request (well, just TOWK actually 😀)

Although my family emigrated to Scotland over 60 years ago, I still have an emotional attachment to the land of my birth and many relatives still living there, so I`ll be hoping the Azzurri can upset the odds tomorrow evening and stop Football Coming Home.

I can`t honestly say I`m optimistic. Playing at Wembley in front of some 60,000 noisy England fans will hand the hosts a massive psychological advantage. Even if it was being played at a neutral venue, with a 50-50 fan split, I`d make England slight favourites because they have more quality in their squad. Some of the players who will be sitting on the bench and may not even get on, would walk into Italy`s team.

Gareth Southgate will set his team up to be defensively solid, relying on the pace of his front players to profit from swift counters against Italy`s aging central defenders, Bonucci and Chiellini. They may have the experience but they don`t have the legs to live with the likes of Sterling and Kane - which leads me to ask, what are the respective odds of England and/or Italy being awarded a decisive penalty? I know who my money is on.

I hope my analysis is totally wrong and glad I`m not doing the pre-match team talk.😀 Italy have a fantastic team spirit among the squad and I can`t see them being satisfied at having reached the final and meekly accepting loser`s medals. They`ll want to win alright and if they open the scoring, they just might pull it off.

Hope springs eternal....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: England v Italy
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 09:36

G.G. Do you think the extra day recovery for Italy might give them a slight advantage if the game goes to extra time ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 09:58

Quite a downbeat assessment, GGR. Reverse psychology?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 10:01

It`s
Italy v England
Just saying

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 10:57

Every tribe is entitled to its own creation myth so Football’s Coming Home has to be viewed in that light. The first official international game was played in Glasgow therefore Scotland has a greater claim to be the home of the international game. The English FA (or FA as it prefers to be known) has a track record not so much of bringing silverware home but of actually staying at home: they did not enter the inaugural World Cup, the European Cup for clubs or even the first European Nations Cup competition. The England team’s only major tournament win came without so much as leaving London. So if the final were being played in any other country I would fancy Italy to come out on top.

I still think Italy are the more likely winners anyhow. Home advantage did Portugal little good when they lost to Greece in the final. Italy have seen off two sides- Belgium and Spain- whose football is of a higher quality than England’s. The ball moves faster than the man in football and no team has been able to pass at the speed Italy have shown in their previous matches, particularly in the first half of games. England’s movement of the ball has been pedestrian in comparison.

Finally, both teams clearly have very good team spirit but England’s has not really been tested so far. There have been no controversial decisions against them, no appalling blunders, no banana skin moments that can hit even the best of teams. Pickford, Stones and to a lesser extent Walker are capable of producing such moments but have been largely accident free thus far. For England, a limited side like winners Denmark and Greece before them, that would have to remain the case on Sunday for them to take the title.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 11:33

"G.G. Do you think the extra day recovery for Italy might give them a slight advantage if the game goes to extra time ?"

I very much doubt it, BPP. Any perceived advantage will surely be countered by the fact that Italy will field a team with a higher average age. The extra day excuse is usually brought up by the team losing the game if it applies. Here`s hoping Lineker and Co. have the chance to air it. 😀

"Quite a downbeat assessment, GGR. Reverse psychology?"

Not at all, just realistic, though Sammer`s post has cheered me up quite a bit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 11:56

Italy are 6/4 FAV GG, England are 2/1 with 2/1 the draw.

For some strange reason England are 4/6 fav to win the tie with Italy at evens.

Ultimately I think Italy will prove to strong and run out 2-1 winners in 90mins

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 12:40

Where are you see England at 2/1 mate? Everywhere I can see a price it has the odds the other way round or a price thereabouts.

I've been backing Italy to win the tournament on the Exchange and even that has England faves at 2.74.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 12:43

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Sat 10 Jul 11:56

Italy are 6/4 FAV GG, England are 2/1 with 2/1 the draw.

For some strange reason England are 4/6 fav to win the tie with Italy at evens.

Ultimately I think Italy will prove to strong and run out 2-1 winners in 90mins

Strange. Italy are 21/10 with bet 365 and England 13/8 in 90 mins with the draw at 19/10.

Italy are the “home” team so they are first listed in the betting.

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jul 12:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 13:53

Sorry guys looked again after reading alparone post, I was looking at home side at 2-1. I've said for weeks I fancied Italy to won it and backed England at 6/4. Glad you guys noticed, I'm away to cash out and back Italy at 2-1

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 14:46

Fancy Italy to win by 2 .
Might be a cracking weekend for you GG , with Berrettini at the tennis .
Quite tempted to have a wee bet on the double 🤔

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 15:13

Tend to agree with GGs opening post. Looking at the two teams, and especially squads, England seem to have more about them and the aging Italian defence is a worry. Having said that steel sharpens steel and England have yet to be tested by a peer level nation whereas Italy have overcome two such nations.
Got a bad feeling about it all though. Its like when Liverpool finally won the league after thirty years. It was something that I, along with most other god fearing people, hoped they`d never see. However hopes and prayers weren`t enough to stop it happening and England winning the euros would be one hundred times worse.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 18:16

I wonder if this theory about the Italian central defenders being too slow has been a steer from the Italian camp itself. The cornerstone of any defence is the central defence pairing and the goalkeeper. Both sides are well served in this area but I think most football watchers would regard the Bonucci/Chiellini partnership with their young goalkeeper behind as the stronger of the two. They handled Lukaku and De Bruyne then a Spanish side who played no obvious striker for much of the game, so different kinds of test.

It’s at full back where Italy’s defence looks more vulnerable. Losing their left back was a blow whilst the right back is very composed coming forward but was given the run around by the Belgium winger. Southgate might be tempted to put either Sterling or Rashford wide left to run at him. Shoving Kane and Sterling up against Bonucci and Chiellini to expose their lack of pace has little chance of success since the Italians are a well honed partnership whose anticipation masks any lack of speed

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 18:42

Quote:

dave67, Sat 10 Jul 10:01

It`s
Italy v England
Just saying

It would be if they were playing in Italy, Dave. We oldtimers are sticklers for tradition and always put the home team first.

Given the game's at Wembley, I'll stick with my gut instinct that England are the home team, in spite of anyone trying to con us that they're not.... 🙂

Even the impartial BBC website has it as England v Italy, btw.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 18:57

The only good thing about England winning would be that they would stop going on about 1966.

Oh wait...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 21:13

I’d put the mortgage on England winning this game. It’s definitely happening . Football will be coming home and there’s not a thing anyone of us can do about it . Everything is heavily sided in their favour and I think Italy will take an absolute battering.
I have never in my life been more certain of a football result . Better players, better team , better manager !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 22:34

Only three problems with your analysis.

Better players? No. Insigne is better at opening up a defence than any England player. They have no real passers in the team other than sideways or backwards The Italian defence is stronger than the English defence. Pickford is very talented, like Jim Herriott, but not a keeper I would want in a final.

Better team? No. Italy move the ball fast like a club side and when things go wrong they deal with that. Phillips and Rice would not get a game for Denmark. They are makeweights same as Nobby Stiles and Martin Peters. Chiellini leads: McGuire follows. A big difference.

Better manager? Southgate. Are you serious? He`s spent the last 24 hours rabbitting on about WW2, a conflict he had no part in. Why would he do this nonsense unless he felt his team were inadequate? He knows his team are not good enough and is trying to pull in every outside force he can muster, some of them against his what seem to be his core beliefs. If the Italians were quoting Julius Caesar then that would give you a flavour of Southgate`s desperation. He`s hanging on to his job.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 22:42

if god helps they win it will stick in there throat onlt team couldnt beat or score against scotland

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 22:52

Sergio put the rod away, England will not win tomorrow.

Sammer Southgate is not hanging on to his job, He is a good international manager, maybe not so much at club level

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jul 22:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 23:03

If Rashford, who the Tory party hate for their good reasons, misses a vital shot or penalty and England lose then it will be open season on Southgate. He knows this himself of course and lives with it, to his credit. He would have been better advised to stop writing letters to the nation, whatever nation he thinks that is. Just get on with the job. England have a fair chance so make the most of it.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 23:10

Southgate has got them to their first final in 55 years. His stock has never been higher. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he was knighted regardless of the result tomorrow.

To say he's hanging on his job seems a bit of a stretch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 23:21

Quote:

Jeffery, Sat 10 Jul 23:10

Southgate has got them to their first final in 55 years. His stock has never been higher. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he was knighted regardless of the result tomorrow.

To say he's hanging on his job seems a bit of a stretch.

I know, absolutely ridiculous comment. His blinkered view of the England team seems to be getting in the way of the facts that Southgate is a very good manager. He has chopped and changed his team and formations throughout the Euros to great effect.
Regarding tomorrow, hard to call. Italy have been the best team throughout the tournament but were very fortunate to get through the Spain game in one piece. Should have been out in my opinion.
England have got better as the tournament has went on although were also lucky to get through in the manner they did in the Semi but absolutely deserved to go through over the piece.
Think England might win 2-1. Don't think you can underestimate home advantage especially with a crowd of 60k willing them on. They have got pace in Sterling and Saka that I reckon will give Italy alot of problems although equally Italy can be devastating on the break as well with Chiesa and Insigne.
Hopefully a worthy final and an Italy win though.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jul 23:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 23:21

What has the Tory party and Rashford got to do with how good a manager Southgate is?

Jeffery I totally agree, it would not surprise me at all if the full squad get a knighthood, IMHO I hope they do, they have brought a feel good feeling to a nation (England, before people start go into meltdown)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 23:49

What are the bookies odds for 2-2 at full time, 4-2 England after extra time?

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 00:20

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out if England lose, the media will have a big part to play in that but I think Southgate has done enough already to retain the affection of the people. Living here I can tell you the excitement this week from young kids to grandparents has been incredible and it has given the English people a huge lift following a difficult 18 months. Also I think Southgate’s letter to the English nation came from the heart and his reference to his grandfathers participation in the war was one of bravery and respect. If Marcus Rashford plays a part tomorrow and scores the winner it will cap an incredible year from an incredible young man who win or lose will retain huge respect from everyone across the UK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 00:50

Anyone who believes in knighthoods is a supporter of UK PLC, monarchy, private schools, foodbanks the whole shebang. Jock Stein never got one, nor did Bob Shankly nor Brian Clough nor Bob Paisley. They are handed out by grace and favour by the great and good to the plebocracy who serve their interests. Most of these baubles go to their donors or their mates from Oxbridge. Fergie got one when football became monetised and served the UK purse as well as `soft` power. All these awards are political, as is obvious to anyone.

Southgate is well in line for such a gong despite his football, like Ramsay`s before him, being close to narcolepsy. It`s dull to watch, which I had to do in the later stages against Denmark when they were playing against 10 men. Playing against 10 men also helped against Argentina in 1966 when their captain was sent off for having a bad attitude, at a time when England had committed more fouls than their opponents. Chiellini should be warned. This did not deter `Sir Alf` calling Argentina `animals` and helped drive English football into a backwater it took 20 years to recover from. No decent international team from the early 1970s learned much from Ramsey except to ignore what he did and the same will apply to Southgate, win or lose tomorrow.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 07:03

"The only good thing about England winning would be that they would stop going on about 1966.

Oh wait..."

In all seriousness, if England do win, their black players may be afforded a short respite from the moronic element among own fans.

Lose the game and there`s sure to be an exponential increase in online abuse, especially if a black player is deemed to have made a decisive mistake.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 07:53

Difficult one to call.....two very different teams. I suspect England might just knick it after extra time if the ball stays away from Pickford for long enough.

The strength of their bench might be the deciding factor.

I'd love to watch it in Italy though. Me and my now wife ended up watching Juve vs Napoli in the top room of Planet Hollywood in Rome over 20 years ago. Was a great atmosphere even though we didn't understand a word of what the two sets of fans were shouting at each other.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 08:31

I`m quite excited about this game .. I have only watched 2 full games up till now but I will watch this one for the theatre of the occasion .. I only hope it does not go to extra time and penalties as that is well past my bed time :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 08:46

I will also watch it, however due to the commentators and pundits I will watch it without sound.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 10:06

There will be a `Scottish` commentary (neutral of course!) on Radio Scotland but there may be a problem getting the sound and pictures exactly in sync.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 12:43

I hadn't realised Italy had only won Euros once and that was 2 years after England won the world cup.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 13:43

Nor that they have scored 80 goals and only let in 10 in the last three years.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 14:38

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sun 11 Jul 13:43

Nor that they have scored 80 goals and only let in 10 in the last three years.

Mostly against fairly diddy opponents, tbf. Mice, gnats, greenfly - that sort of thing, Ipswich.

They've never even faced one lion yet, never mind 3 at once.....😨

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 14:52

Scotland having had another early exit, it became a slight dilemma who to root for next. Maybe Wales and then either of the teams that beat Scotland and maybe then Belgium. Now we are down to the final and I may have been prone to go for England but now after being sickened to my gut with the jingoistic, nationalistic outpourings from South of Gretna Green and the fact that you can`t turn on the BBC news without finding out intimate details of what Sir Gareth Southgate (in waiting) had for his breakfast, I`ve been scranning around to try and find some ancestral reasons why I should support Italy. Though there may be no evidence of an Italian link from maternal or paternal ancestry I have found the following reasons to think I might just be in business:-

1. One of my favourite meals is lasagne with parmesan cheese.

2. When I meet up with my former colleagues we always go to an Italian restaurant.

3. I have been in Rome 6 times and London only 5.

4. And I should add that I like Inspectori Montelbano.

I now think that is more than sufficient reason to support the Azzuri. Come on ye blues!!!!

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 14:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 15:04

Peroni > Carling
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 15:41

I like ice cream and fish suppers.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:03

From what I saw earlier Tesco's supplies of Birra Morretti is taking a hammering.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:09

Added bonus that it's brewed in Edinburgh so also supporting the Scottish economy 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:18

Headline news is about England reaching the final ? Really?
I’m seriously considering binning my tv licence

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 17:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 16:32

Sky bet offering superboost 3/1 England 90mins

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 17:04

Seems it's absolute carnage in Leicester Square, bottles flying all directions, all over twitter!

Hope the Italian restaurants have good insurance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 17:24

I read about what they were doing to Danish children at that game.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 17:27

When Italy win tonight London will be a war zone

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hockeyboy  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:18

Mon Italy, nothing to do with our dearest neighbours, I have an Italian brother in law 🇮🇹

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:22

Predicting a 3 - 1 England win during normal time 👍

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hockeyboy  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:32

Mon Italy, nothing to do with our dearest neighbours, I have an Italian brother in law 🇮🇹

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:35

Mon Italy !
Has everything to do with our nearest neighbours .
I can't stand them .
Italy to win by 2 .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:52

Folk trying to break into Wemberlee now apparently 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:54

Italy win 2-0 Barella & Immobile.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 18:59

No apparently about it. Folk have broken through the barriers and got into the stadium.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 19:19

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 11 Jul 18:59

No apparently about it. Folk have broken through the barriers and got into the stadium.

Can you post a link or source, lpf?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 19:25

Just seen a video there and it looked absolutely awful. Hopefully everyone is ok.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 19:29

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 11 Jul 19:19

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 11 Jul 18:59

Can you post a link or source, lpf?

My mate is at the game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 19:31

https://fb.watch/v/1YPWh-O9h/
https://fb.watch/v/fDElDeMkd/

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 19:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 19:52

Ar$€holes

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 19:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 19:57

Why did the English anthem get played last?, I thought they were the away side

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:04

England 1-0 Italy
Luke Shaw

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:06

Abjext defending by the Italians. They look to be overwhelmed by the atmosphere.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:13

This is going to be a cricket score if Italy don't improve
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:14

Right now it`s men against boys. Southgate has done a number on Mancini.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:16

If Peter Grant can do it…Mancini is capable.

Great goal for England though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:21

Kane's in full collapse mode again :-(

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:29

What is the point of Immobile??? Not seen him do anything worthwhile since the group stage.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:37

He’s a bit too Immobile for my liking up front..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:37

Chiellini in knots with Kane and Stirling

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:40

Italy's final ball has been shocking

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:51

Don`t think Italy are going to have the finesse to unlock that English door which is shut tight. They few times they have gotten into the England box with a bit of space they want to try and make another pass instead of taking a shot.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:51

[Post Deleted] - Swearing will not be tolerated on this site.
Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:53

"Brilliant block by John Stones!" Picture cuts to Stones looking round wondering what happened.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:54

Had to switch bbc off because of Jenas and I`m on itv now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 20:59

Similar here, had to switch from BBC to ITV due to Jenas, then opted for Mute instead of Dixon. Surely red button should offer a no commentary option?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:02

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 11 Jul 20:53

"Brilliant block by John Stones!" Picture cuts to Stones looking round wondering what happened.

Apparently he knew he couldn't get there so decided to wait and block it instead. What an absolute slaver

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 21:02)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:03

Shaw took his goal very coolly but both Italian full backs should have been sharper to what was happening. Why was Di Lorenzo drawn to help the cross in the air? Insigne needs a man running on his left shoulder to give him options but Emerson has not provided that so far. Immobile works like a Trojan but does not look like an international striker, far less one who would bother Stones or McGuire. On overall play nothing in it except the few occasions Italy have passed the ball quickly to worry the English team. In terms of goals, it`s England`s to lose.

From the 15th minute England have resorted to that much under appreciated tactic: the agricultural howk out of the box. I expect to see more of that in the second period. Chiesa looks the best bet for an Italian goal.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:04

Like it or not England are playing some great stuff all over the park We all know the Italian surrender mentality and they are well miffed and were arguing with each other after the England goal.. It looks like they have surrendered already ..Hope I`m wrong

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:05

Finally admiting thats fans have managed to get in without a ticket after initially saying no one got in

Oops wrong thread

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 21:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:12

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 11 Jul 21:04

Like it or not England are playing some great stuff all over the park We all know the Italian surrender mentality and they are well miffed and were arguing with each other after the England goal.. It looks like they have surrendered already ..Hope I`m wrong

What a load of stereotypical p*sh

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:14

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 11 Jul 21:12

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 11 Jul 21:04

What a load of stereotypical p*sh

not surprising from the poster.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:15

Quote:

sammer, Sun 11 Jul 21:03

From the 15th minute England have resorted to that much under appreciated tactic: the agricultural howk out of the box. I expect to see more of that in the second period. Chiesa looks the best bet for an Italian goal.

Don't know about that Sammer. Stones in particular has played it simple into Phillips and Rice plenty of times and even had Sterling dropping very deep into pockets to receive the ball from him and Maguire.

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:21

Italy are missing Spinazolla, he brings a lot to this team.

England looking comfortable but just takes one chance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:27

It was coming
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:28

There`s only wan team in this!!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:28

C'monnnnnnnnn, get in there
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:32

Could hear the bubble bursting from here. Are the mighty England about to be found out. Watch out Gareth, your knighthood sword might be going back in its sheath.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:34

He shouldn’t get a knighthood regardless but mind you probably warrants it more than some people that already have one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:36

Looks like they`re being found out big style. The mass delusion is coming home to roost.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:40

Cristante should’ve gone down there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:47

Someone on the park now. Security non existent down there. England making an ar*& of themselves as per

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 21:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:48

How did Italy not get a free kick for that foul on Chiesa that caused him to go off?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:48

Streaker on the pitch?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:55

How many dives has Sterling had this game? A complete joke.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:57

Not very subtle Chiellini!!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 21:58

Granted I missed the first fifteen minutes but all I've seen here is one side completely bossing it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:00

Italy not the same threat without Chiellini.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:01

Are Italy going to regret not finishing this off after they equalised?

[IP address logged]

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 11 Jul 22:00

Italy not the same threat without Chiellini.

Chiesa?

[IP address logged]

Loving watching the replay of Pickford palming it onto the post and it getting rammed in the net.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:02

Don’t understand why they don’t give reds for the fouls like Chiellini’s one.
[IP address logged]

England will be fine, Rio still believes but Southgate`s halo is slipping a bit, pundits are questioning his tactics and lack of meaningful substitutions.

[IP address logged]

Sorry getting carried away a bit 😳
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:05

Even the defenders "simulate"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:06

Second half there was only one team in it. Taking off Rice seemed strange since he was England`s best midfielder on the day, but then Chiesa was removed as well. What do I know about football?

What happened to that rubbish about Italy being ripped by fast England forwards?
Bonucci actually scored the equaliser! Kane and Sterlong have spent mot of the game falling over.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:14

Chiesa was injured

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:15

Chiesa was injured.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:24

OK, but playing Grealsih put on the left wing seems a bad move. He is no better than George Peebles in that role. He has to be central, like Insigna. or dont play him at all. If you don`t believe in football, what have you got?

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:52

Awful, awful, awful couple of penalties by England there...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:54

Brilliant lol 😆🤣

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:55

Not coming home then, not this time. It`s gone off on It`s hols again. Nae luck Rio.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:56

Magic. Can go to work a happy man tomorrow
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:56

Mancini is a genius!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:57

Dreams are shattered!!!!!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  

Benefit of hindsight but surely asking a lot of a 19 year old to take the crucial penalty

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  

When I’m smiling 🎶
When I’m smiling 🎵🎶
The whole world smiles with you 🎶🎶
Well, apart from our Southern neighbours!
[IP address logged]

Italia!!! Italia!!! Pizzas all round.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:58

Well I lost the tenner I had on England, thank god.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 22:58

Easy saying this now….but bringing players on just to take a penalty is an incredibly risky decision considering they hardly kicked a ball beforehand.

Also when will players recognise all these stupid run-ups never work.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:01

Quote:

Berry, Sun 11 Jul 22:58

Easy saying this now….but bringing players on just to take a penalty is an incredibly risky decision considering they hardly kicked a ball beforehand.

Mental from Southgate. Really really crazy

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:01

Much deserved the better team won

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:03

The only 1 I would really disagree with would be putting Saka in last. I know the damage was done by then but they were still in it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:03

Quote:

Berry, Sun 11 Jul 22:58

Absolutely right, that was pretty much Rashford and Sanchos first kick of the ball. Italy were the better team though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:05

Poor Rio was "extremely confident coming into this game". Others were more objective. And poor Gareth is taking some stick for bringing players on to take the penalties. Think the knighthood may be on hold now.

[IP address logged]

Italy were brilliant tonight. Lesser teams would fold after the amazing start England made. Not them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  

I don't mind them putting Sancho and Saka on the penalties if they're in the best five.

I think you've got to have them 2nd and 3rd though. Having a kid on the last one is a big ask.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:07

Almost felt sorry for them, almost I said !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:07

Now we get all the excuses. Manager getting blame for late subs. Pure urine !!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:08

The prematch hype can only be compared to Scotland in the Ally McLeod era when they took a lap of honour BEFORE setting off to Argentina for the world Cup.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:09

Where’s the excuses? There should be no blame on penalty takers because at the end of the day they had plenty of time to win the game outright and didn’t.

They don’t do themselves any favours though with the run-ups as they do them.

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 23:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:10

I hope the young guys that missed the penalties. Don`t get racially abused online

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:11

It would have been an injustice if Italy had lost. The best team won and that must really stick in the craw of mr Riot Ferdinand.
The greatest supporters in the world have all gone home, they’ve all gone home.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:13

This was just a practice run for the World Cup apparently.

[IP address logged]

English aren’t a fan of the silver medals it seems…
[IP address logged]

Those aging center halfs got found out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SammyT73  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:14

Man of the match was the Dutch referee, first ref in the tournament that saw through Sterling and Kane's diving antics

Barry Steele
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:17

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 11 Jul 23:13

Aye. Chiellini was overlapping in extra time!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:18

Southgate blew it. Sterling had the Italian petrified everytime he ran at them so you`d think that you`d bring on Rashford and Sancho sooner. Instead he played for penalties and brought his pacey players on in time for their first kick to be a penalty.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:19

Delighted Italy won and even more so when the English disrespect the tournament by removing their medals. Sore losers.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:19

[Post Deleted] - Racism
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:20

Cannae believe the fans not waiting in the ground for Sweet Caroline to come on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:21

Italy by far the best side over the two hours
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:21

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 11 Jul 23:19

Delighted Italy won and even more so when the English disrespect the tournament by removing their medals. Sore losers.

Not much gratitude when the Italians gave them the guard of honour. Twats

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:23

What do you want them to do? Most players in finals remove their best loser medals. They probably just want to get out of sight and go home.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:24

I think Italy were the better team for most of the game. At the end of tbe day you can only play as well as the other team let you.

All credit to England for making it to the final and taking the game to penalties.

Difficult to put penalties past tbe Italian keeper who at the end of the day was player of the tournament. An accolade not often awarded to goalkeepers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:25

Best team won the tournament, Italy should have won that in normal time tonight, far superior. 👍

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:27

"An all white Italian side( with a smattering of colonials of course) has just beaten the Great Brexit UK"

Not quite sure what point you are making with that Sammer.

[IP address logged]

Total lottery at end of the day.

Jorginho probably the best pen taker out of all of then yet he missed. Who'd have thought Maguire would stick one in the top corner?

[IP address logged]

Penalties isn’t a lottery in the slightest in my opinion.

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jul 23:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:28

Did anyone think that the Italian national anthem had the background noise of England fans booing muted?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:29

Southgate needs to look at himself. Great start and had Italy on the ropes for 15 minutes but then sat back and allowed Italy to grow into the game.
Mancini made some alterations and the ineffective Insigne began to cause a few problems on a central role and Chiesa gave Walker something to think about.
Even when Italy’s two best players in Chiesa and Verratti had to go off, Gareth couldn’t summon the courage to take advantage.
Putting two players on a minute from the end and straight into a pressure cooker situation was also unfair and no surprise that they missed, especially Rashford, who had played no minutes all tournament.
Finally, to have a 19 year old take the last kick was also an act of folly.

Well done, Italy. The best team in this tournament and I think, deserving winners

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:31

Well footballs going to Rome !!!

Shocking Southgate selected kids to take the important penalties, for all the plaudits he has got this last month he really got it wrong there.

As usual the excuses have started on thr TV channels from the usual suspects.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:33

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 11 Jul 23:17

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 11 Jul 23:13

Aye. Chiellini was overlapping in extra time!

Not bad for a 36 year old!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:35

Quote:

sammer, Sun 11 Jul 23:19

Nigel Farage, Reeg Moss, big fat bottom Johnson and thin lipped Priri Patel, along with Oswald Moseley, your boys took one helluva beating. You deserved every ounce of it. Savour. **** fascism, and booing the opposition. Let`s learn how to live and respect each other. That England team was *****, as I along with others called on this site. Southgate is a dead man walking for reasons political. An all white Italian side( with a smattering of colonials of course) has just beaten the Great Brexit UK.
Where does that leave Johnson. Where does that leave Starmer who voted for Brexit?
Nowhere I would suggest.

That England side isn't ***** and you called it wrong ever single game they played until they came up a side that is better than them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:35

From the start they made England shouldn`t have gone onto lose. Some of that is down to an overly cautious approach.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:43

Southgate said he picked the penalty-takers based on what happened in practice. If that was his plan you would have thought he would have given Rashford and Sancho a bit more time on the park before the pens.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jul 23:57

LDP, I was right. Not because England were bad, but because they weren`t good enough. They were solid in defence, had no imagination in midfield, and a couple of wildcards up front that I forecast would be obliterated by Bonucci and Chieliinni. Which is what happened.

For some reason, I think a Guardian article by one of our new empowered female football commentators, spooked the likes of GG. They started taliknig about an Italian defence vulnerable to pace. It was an idiotic analysis, but couldn`t be called out because she was a woman. So it came into public discourse, perversely.

Italy were the best team in the competition. That was my opinion before tonight`s game, in fact two weeks ago, and is now a fact. And I am not alone. Anyone who thought England could outplay (they might have beaten Italy of course) does not understand football.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:03

No you weren't mate. You said they were going to get found out in every game they played. You had Ukraine posing them problems when they were never in any danger from them and never were before a ball was kicked.

Every game they won was because the opposition didn't turn up when the truth is England are now in the top five teams in the world. If you looked at this objectively an Italy win was the most likely outcome but England are a talented squad and will be going far in tournaments going forward.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:04

The team that goes first wins 60% of the time apparently. So it’s not a complete lottery, but there’s definitely an element of luck involved.

I mean if the Pars were playing a superior team, would you rather play 90 mins of football or would you rather go straight to penalties?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:14

I just hope that their fans don't create carnage throughout the land. I read that one of the city squares was damaged before kickoff.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:17

I fear,some morons,will go on a rampage tonight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:19

Surely they'll console themselves by having already won next year's World Cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 00:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:20

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 12 Jul 00:03

No you weren't mate. You said they were going to get found out in every game they played. You had Ukraine posing them problems when they were never in any danger from them and never were before a ball was kicked.

Every game they won was because the opposition didn't turn up when the truth is England are now in the top five teams in the world. If you looked at this objectively an Italy win was the most likely outcome but England are a talented squad and will be going far in tournaments going forward.

england were okay, nothing special. They were helped a lot by home advantage, and ending up in the easy side of the draw meaning they got through without facing a really strong side until the final. The best team won it, but Spain and Belgium would have also beaten england
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:26

Quote:

parsfan, Mon 12 Jul 00:19

Surely they'll console themselves by having already win next year's World Cup.

😁👍

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:32

I completely agree and have also said the same about Spain and Belgium but England are probably ahead of France now and on their day have the capability to beat the other sides. They probably are the 4th best side in the world and are closer to number one than any other time in my life. Most other teams golden ages have gone and none of the big sides are as good as they have been over the last 10 to 20 years whereas England have improved.

Brazil and Argentina are very mediocre sides and there isn't much else in world football for England to be scared of. I'm not convinced they'll win a tournament (and I don't want them too) but folk that like to talk them down are in for a tough few years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:39

No team which has 34% of the play wins games

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 00:40)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:43

As I said Italy are the better side and pre game favourite. Doesn't change the fact England are decent they're just not as good as some pundits think they are.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 00:45)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:44

Started unbelievably well but they became more and more predictable and British the longer the game went on. If Chiesa hadn't got injured Italy would have won it in normal time IMHO

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:45

Quote:

Tenruh, Mon 12 Jul 00:39

No team which has 34% of the play wins games

You should have left that at tournaments. Leicester won quite a few games the season they won the league with possession stats round that
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 00:54

I`ll talk them down LPF. England have no imagination, nothing to take a 10 year old boy off his seat and want to to support them. They are dull as ditchwater. And Southgate, so far, like Ramsay, has not just flourished by promoting this but been cheered on by the tabloid media to make it happen. Some in Scotland have been pulled in by the hype, despite us drawing with them at Wembley. He lost. He`s a failure.

They lost. They were out played over 90 minutes and lost on penalties. They were never good enough as several of us boldly proclaimed over two weeks ago on this very site. Last night I was mocking `Sir` Gareth for all it`s worth, but the powers that be might decide he is not worth it for he can`t win at Wembley with a Brexit crowd where the hell on earth will he ever will? I say what I said last night before the game. He will be lucky to hang on to his job, not for football reasons but for political ones. And he was the man who decided he would letters to the nation, and expose his crude understanding of WW2, so hell mend him, he won`t be missed by me.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 01:13

I don't know anyone in Scotland that's been taken in by any hype.

England have been efficient and cruised through games they were called boring in. They were boring but they won the games fairly easily by being well organised. Croatia stuck 3 past Spain but barely kicked a ball against England. The Czechs put the Dutch out and created virtually nothing against England. If anything England should have opened up a bit more at times and if they'd gone for the 2nd tonight when they had Italy on the ropes it might have been a different story. Fortunately they didn't and then made the inexplicable decision to sit of Italy in the 2nd half.

You were wrong in the games with Germany, Ukraine and Denmark and predicting an Italy win wasn't exactly a shock result. I backed Italy before the tournament, three times during the tournament and I laid England when they were one up. England are hardly a poor side because they lost a final in extra time to a better side that haven't been beaten in 33 games prior to tonight.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 01:15

This was what you said in the run up to the Ukraine game..

I`ve seen nothing so far to suggest England are a class above Ukraine, in fact Ukraine have looked the more creative team if anything. Yarmalenko would walk into any Euro squad. At a first glance he seems no more than a tricky wide attacker but his footwork and distribution are so good he is a threat every time he is in possession.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 01:20

thames will be blocked by 65,000 english fans jumping in it poor southgate is getting crucified on bbc and itv for his selections thats us safe to qatar in 20022 well done italy had them at 6/1 to win cup magnifico

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 02:18

LFF,

You are right. I actually backed Scotland to draw at Wembley which was fine, though I never thought we would qualify. I also thought Ukraine could see off England which never became a remote possibility after the first 15 minutes. I was utterly wrong. However I will stand by my judgment that Yarmalenko is a far more dangerous player than either Foden or Saka. In fact had England has such a player tonight, against a less than convincing Italian left back, they might have won. Saka is a potential player, no more at the moment, whereas Yarmolenka is the finished article. This notion of England having a golden generation of players cuts no ice with me.

I never expected Denmark to beat England since they are equally lacking in imagination and were short of their most creative player. In truth, I was surprised Denmark made it to extra time. Kane is the great white hope of the EPL, as were Beckham and Rooney before him, but at top level he has missed open goals twice for England: once against Croatia and once against Germany. If Rashford or Sterling had done this they would probably have never played for England again. The racial prejudice in respect of black England players is unignorable, no matter how many St. George`s flags are draped across 10 Downing Street.

England could not take the game to any opponent, including even Scotland, because they lacked creativity. This was well voiced even by their own supporters, whose voice was drowned out in the recent euphoria. They were a damp squib whose football no decent coach would want to copy. Mancicni should be attacked for failing to take the game to a moderate English team, same as the French manager failed to let his own players loose. Of course England made it hard, but they were not very good. Italy beat two better teams on the way to the final.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 02:35

The greatest result of all time . I’ve never ever felt better after a game . I’m absolutely buzzing and I never want to come down from this feeling . Absolute ecstasy!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 06:05

"Southgate needs to look at himself. Great start and had Italy on the ropes for 15 minutes but then sat back and allowed Italy to grow into the game.
Mancini made some alterations and the ineffective Insigne began to cause a few problems on a central role and Chiesa gave Walker something to think about.
Even when Italy’s two best players in Chiesa and Verratti had to go off, Gareth couldn’t summon the courage to take advantage.
Putting two players on a minute from the end and straight into a pressure cooker situation was also unfair and no surprise that they missed, especially Rashford, who had played no minutes all tournament.
Finally, to have a 19 year old take the last kick was also an act of folly.

Well done, Italy. The best team in this tournament and I think, deserving winners"

Spot on, Raymie.

Topic Originator: GG Riva
Date: Sun 11 Jul 07:03

In all seriousness, if England do win, their black players may be afforded a short respite from the moronic element among own fans.

Lose the game and there`s sure to be an exponential increase in online abuse, especially if a black player is deemed to have made a decisive mistake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431

Depressingly predictable.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 06:55

"For some reason, I think a Guardian article by one of our new empowered female football commentators, spooked the likes of GG. They started talking about an Italian defence vulnerable to pace. It was an idiotic analysis, but couldn`t be called out because she was a woman. So it came into public discourse, perversely."

I`m afraid my rather downbeat analysis was entirely of my own making, sammer. 😞 While naturally delighted by Italy`s impressive start in the group phase, I was simultaneously concerned that the team had peaked too early and hadn`t beaten any side that had a serious chance of winning the tournament. (In the past, Italy have usually triumphed in the face of adversity (on the back of a national scandal as in 1982 and 2006) and have scraped through the group phase in unconvincing fashion. Similarly in 1970 and 1994, when they reached the WC final. Paradoxically, in 1978, Italy blew away Hungary, France and eventual winners Argentina in the group phase, before being bundled out in the second round by two long range strikes from the Dutch. The 2-2 draw saw them lose out on goal difference.

Both Bonucci and especially Chiellini have been subjected to widespread criticism in the Italian media for their domestic performances, this season. Many Juve fans also pointed the finger at the defensive pairing and manager Pirlo, for tamely relinquishing the Serie A title after 9 Scudetti in a row, not to mention their disappointingly early exit from the CL.

I`m in no doubt that England could and should have won last night, after that electric start. Raymie summarises the game very well, above. Why didn`t England go for the jugular then? With the benefit of hindsight, that early goal was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Southgate`s team. It was slightly reminiscent of the 1967 European Cup final, when Inter tried to manage a 7th min penalty lead for the rest of the game. Italy, like Celtic before them, had no option but to take the game to their opponents.

Roberto Mancini deserves a lot of credit for adjusting his tactics and allowing his team to claw its way back into the game. Even the loss of his better performers to injury didn`t dent their determination and with a bit more quality up front, might have won it before the penalty shoot out. Equally, it was as much a failure by Southgate. Playing a very cautious game, with every man behind the ball and allowing Italy to dominate possession when they should have been playing further up the park, looking for a killer 2nd goal, was ultimately England`s downfall. Southgate has to carry the can for that. England had the stronger squad, imo and were playing at home in front of some 60,000 noisy fans.

As for the penalties, best draw a veil over them....

Post Edited (Mon 12 Jul 07:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 07:26

I watched the game in a bar in Corfu surrounded by Italians and two Russian boys and it was incredible. The English were away down the other end of the place and to be fair to them, they behaved themselves. One of the Russian boys was going off his head when Italy scored and won. It seems everyone in Europe is ABE. Pretty funny really. Also, the Italian national anthem is the greatest anthem in the world. No question.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 07:34

It's good no doubt but it's no Welsh anthem.

Enjoyed the game last night. Better team one. The government should really act on this online abuse. Shocking that they are not doing so.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 07:57

Can someone with a bit more social media knowledge let me know what more companies can do to prevent hatred spreading across their platforms that they aren’t already doing?

With these kind of incidents there’s always a push for social media to do more, guess my question is, what’s more?

They must have filters already roaming for obscene language and I have no doubt any identified will result in a ban and report to the police if warranted.

It must be incredibly difficult near on impossible to monitor and accurately screen the number of social media posts that will have been put on last night.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 08:03

They are at the back end of the firehose just now. Trying fix the crap when it is out the bottle.

If you want to use it then you should have to register properly so there is a level of accountability. If they were to say this stuff on the street they would get lifted as it would be clear who said it.

Why don't the companies want this? Because they will have a lower valuation as they would have a lower number or users.

And I refuse to believe that they are spending anywhere enough on checking the content of posts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 08:18

"Topic Originator: Berry like | nolike
Date: Mon 12 Jul 07:57

Can someone with a bit more social media knowledge let me know what more companies can do to prevent hatred spreading across their platforms that they aren’t already doing?

With these kind of incidents there’s always a push for social media to do more, guess my question is, what’s more?

They must have filters already roaming for obscene language and I have no doubt any identified will result in a ban and report to the police if warranted.

It must be incredibly difficult near on impossible to monitor and accurately screen the number of social media posts that will have been put on last night."

Whilst anything but an expert, surely it can be made mandatory that account holders have to upload a copy of their passport and/or driving license in order to open a new account or in case of existing accounts, to be able to continue using it?
I had to carry out such authentication for Air B&B, so the technology is there.

These abusers can then expect a knock at their door, if posting racial abuse in future.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 08:35

Quote :-

Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Sun 11 Jul 23:05

Italy were brilliant tonight. Lesser teams would fold after the amazing start England made. Not them.

Spot on da .. not just lesser teams but perhaps previous Italian teams
Once they weathered the English adrenaline euphoria .. regrouped and collected themselves they played some great fast passing attacking football
The Italian defence limited England to 2 shots on target in 120 minutes
Well deserved winners .. chuffed for G.G.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 08:58

Quote:

sammer, Sun 11 Jul 23:19

Nigel Farage, Reeg Moss, big fat bottom Johnson and thin lipped Priri Patel, along with Oswald Moseley, your boys took one helluva beating. You deserved every ounce of it. Savour. **** fascism, and booing the opposition. Let`s learn how to live and respect each other. That England team was *****, as I along with others called on this site. Southgate is a dead man walking for reasons political. An all white Italian side( with a smattering of colonials of course) has just beaten the Great Brexit UK.
Where does that leave Johnson. Where does that leave Starmer who voted for Brexit?
Nowhere I would suggest.

There’s something wrong with you.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 09:28

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 12 Jul 08:35

Quote :-

Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Sun 11 Jul 23:05

Spot on da .. not just lesser teams but perhaps previous Italian teams
Once they weathered the English adrenaline euphoria .. regrouped and collected themselves they played some great fast passing attacking football
The Italian defence limited England to 2 shots on target in 120 minutes
Well deserved winners .. chuffed for G.G.

Cheers, BPP. While I'm doubly pleased - Italy won AND the crowing English media has been silenced, there's something about a penalty shootout that's a bit hollow, especially in the final of a major tournament. I remember Italy suffering that heartbreak in the 94 WC Final.

Surely a case for replaying a final?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 09:34

I actually liked the golden goal idea G.G.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 09:44

Congrats GG, Best team in the tournament won and well deserved , penalties shouldn't take anything away from your victory. The tournament was won over 4 weeks not the last 5 minutes.
I was hoping England would win last night but over the month there was only one team DESERVED to lift the trophy and they did.

Congratulations again GG

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 10:24

Ignoring the media and a minority of arrogant fans, I'd have liked to have seen England win it. However, they didn't deserve it and Italy rightly took it.

What I'd like to know is why the likes of England and Italy had so many home games. What's that all about?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 10:56

Italy only had one more home game than we did. I think, and I might be wrong, that the reason England had a last sixteen game at Wembley was because some nations had to pull out at the last minute (Ireland maybe) and so Wembley got an extra game.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Jul 11:37

Just got sent a pic from my bro of Boris Johnson at the match wearing England top, underneath it states

The next time he has 3 lions on his shirt, I hope its at Blair Drummond safari park

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net