DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Paul Mariner (D)
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 08:28

Sad to read he has died at the age of 68. I remember him playing with Ipswich Town from mid 70s- mid 80s a classy forward who scored almost 100 goals for them.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Paul Mariner (D)
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 08:40

Very sad news. I shared a hospital ward with him for a few days a few months ago.

I don't think I've ever met a nicer or more humble person. Made time for everyone who wanted to talk to him and constantly had a smile on his face.

RIP Paul
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 09:12

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sat 10 Jul 08:40

Very sad news. I shared a hospital ward with him for a few days a few months ago.

I don't think I've ever met a nicer or more humble person. Made time for everyone who wanted to talk to him and constantly had a smile on his face.

RIP Paul

I was just reading that many years ago he was first at the scene of a car accident, the driver was pregnant so he got her to the hospital safely then went to the work of the kids dad to let him know and drove him to the hospital too.

Classy player for the outstanding Ipswich team in the early 80’s.

R.I.P.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 09:23

A decent guy by all accounts. RIP Paul.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 11:54

Very good centre forward. 68 is no age at all

RIP

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jul 11:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Benny74  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 12:57

Sounds like a very decent man. One of those names that takes you back (depending on your age) to swapping football stickers in the playground. It seems even sadder that he has passed away before being able to watch the country he represented play in the Euro final. Ipswich Par I hope that you are feeling better and are on the mend after the illness that saw you sharing a hospital ward with Mr Mariner.

Benny74
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 13:40

I will always remember their cup winners cup winning side of the early 80s, players like Mick Mills, Terry Butcher, Russell Osman, Paul Mariner,John Wark and Alan Brazil to name a few. The final was over 2 legs and both games were great , Ipswich came out 5-4 winners ,it was of course managed by the late great Bobby Robson.

RIP Paul, a great player and all round Nice guy

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 15:56

Thanks Benny. Feeling better every day. An amazing team where I got treated. It was nice to see them being mentioned....Paul would have had excellent care.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Benny74  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 17:10

ipswichpar wrote:

> Thanks Benny. Feeling better every day. An amazing team where I
> got treated. It was nice to see them being mentioned....Paul
> would have had excellent care.

Good stuff mate. Take care.

Benny74
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: p4r5f4n  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 17:59

I met him a few times when I lived in Bury St Edmunds. A really nice guy as were all the Ipswich team. It was a real community club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 18:44

Nice stories, thanks for sharing, AAPS and Ipswich. A class player and a class human being.

RIP Paul

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jul 18:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 10 Jul 22:53

Classy is the last word I would use for Paul Mariner as a footballer. He had no class at all. What he had was tremendous strength on the ground and in the air which tested the best of centre halves. He was just over 6ft tall, had square shoulders and calf muscles like a boxer. He jumped high and he shot hard- that was about it.

But he was a genuine heavyweight centre forward, like Withe or Hateley, who could sniff out cruiser weights like Willie Young or Paul Hegarty. He gave them no mercy. Wise experts said Bobby Robson had paid too much to take him to Ipswich from a lower league team. He answered that nonsense with some powerful goals within a few weeks. Look at his performance on youtube when Ipswich beat Man Utd 6-0, and miss two penalties as well. Gordon McQueen, who was a genuine heavyweight himself, is struggling to control Mariner. He was a great English centre forward in the tradition of Tommy Lawton, something we don`t have in Scotland.

Great to hear his honest endeavour on the park was also part of his character.

sammer
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net