DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pickford - lucky not to be booked ?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 19:55

I dipped out of watching the second half, ET and penalties.

Just had a chance to catch the penalty shoot out - does anybody else think that Pickford should have been cautioned for his repeated ploy of advancing off the goal line towards the Italian players as they were preparing for the spot kick ?

The referee clearly spoke/gestured to him about it a few times.

Did any of the commentators flag it up ?

Just curious.

Post Edited (Wed 14 Jul 19:56)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pickford - lucky not to be booked ?
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 19:57

Nope don’t think the commentators did, not that it really mattered they lost.

Seen a lot more of the keepers moving on their line on penalties and first I’ve seen folk lie on the floor behind a wall at free kicks at this tournie.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 20:40

Nah, this sort of thing needs encouraged.

Earlier in the tournament the ref warned the Switzerland keeper for touching his bar. Absolute nonsense.

The balance of power between taker and keeper is so heavily weighted towards strikers, VAR checks have made it worse, keepers should do everything they can to try and even it up, refs should allow it, it adds to the drama.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 21:20

I often wonder when I see keepers antics how var would have handled Bruce Grobbelaar :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 21:23

To be fair if the ref doesn't enforce the rules they'd get marked down in the match report.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 22:06

Don`t the VAR officials check the position of the goalies` feet at the point when the penalty is taken and inform the ref if there has been a breach of the Laws?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 22:11

They do but not sure that includes the keeper touching the bar and obviously the ref saw it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 22:53

"Nah, this sort of thing needs encouraged."

You can`t be serious ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 23:56

Don`t the VAR officials check the position of the goalies` feet at the point when the penalty is taken and inform the ref if there has been a breach of the Laws?

What the Law actually says is that "When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line."

Touching the crossbar or posts is not allowed until the ball is kicked.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 00:20

Have a look for Argentina v Columbia last week pen shoot out and the clip which shows the antics of Villa and Argentina goalie Martinez

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 08:59

Are goalkeepers not supposed to have at one foot on the line until a penalty is hit. Pickford was jumping up and down with neither foot on the line. Or as long as you are in line with the goalline it doesn't matter.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 09:09

I thought it was keeper had to have one foot on the line at the time the penalty was kicked.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 09:30

Yeah it's when the penalty is taken.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 09:34

Stanza`s post at 23:56 yesterday explains the position. It`s noticeable that a lot of keepers now start with part of their feet behind the line. The natural instinct when making a save is to move forward to gain momentum so I think this reduces the risk of them offending.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 10:25

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 15 Jul 09:34

Stanza`s post at 23:56 yesterday explains the position. It`s noticeable that a lot of keepers now start with part of their feet behind the line. The natural instinct when making a save is to move forward to gain momentum so I think this reduces the risk of them offending.

Not just to gain momentum, but also to narrow the angle - however slight a difference it may make, it all helps!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 11:46

"Don`t the VAR officials check the position of the goalies` feet at the point when the penalty is taken and inform the ref if there has been a breach of the Laws?"

Therefore VAR takes on the the assistant referee role - so there`s no need for him (her) standing on the goal line to the right of the post as the kick is taken.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 23:55

I’m entirely serious verteran.

Who the **** wants to watch strikers calmly kicking the ball into a net from a relatively short distance?

Bam them up, Get in their ear, Do absolutely anything to try and distract them. It’s your job.

I wasn’t a fan of lee Robinson, but he did that excellently.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 00:50

`Calmly` is the problem for the kicker, for he is usually far from calm. That walk from the halfway line to the penalty spot must be like walking to the gallows. In training I would imagine 90% of penalties go home: in a match, that reduces to 75%. In a shootout I suspect that becomes lower because of the pressure.

I have often said that he goalkeeper should be amongst the first five kickers. First of all he is in the zone of action and does not have to take the long walk. He is in his own territory. Secondly, he strikes a dead ball more than anyone in a game of football so contact should not be a problem. And lastly, if he misses he has an option no other outfield player has: he can save the next penalty and redeem himself.

Pickford is a very accurate striker of a football, as is seen in his clearances from goal. He is as good as any keeper around. I believe he would have stuck a better penalty than Saka for the reasons given above.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 01:13

Penalties scored by keepers is about 71% the worst percentage. below the 75% average and the 76% for strikers.

If the taker isn’t clam that’s their problem.

75% + being scored shows my point about the balance being comfortably in the kickers favour. Anything that reduces that is excellent.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 03:01

Your statistics are probably for penalties during normal time. A shoot out is a different theatre altogether. The keeper is the most active man during a shoot out and that energy can be well used. His nerves are better than any outfield player I would assume.

Even is the keeper has a 71% record as you say, and I doubt that statistic applies during a shootout, we still have to factor in the penalty he might save after missing his own kick. I don`t believe there is any data available which supports your case.

The keeper is your best bet for penalty number 2. He can be a hero twice over: no one else can.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 09:20

Why do they stand on the half way line?

What is wrong with them standing outside the box like they do when a pen is taken in normal time, or either side of the box where the keeper stands when their side is taking the penalty.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 13:13

"I’m entirely serious verteran."

I`m not talking about spectators, match officials have no control over them - I`m referring to opposing players enjoying leeway to unnerve a kicker preparing to take a penalty.

A penalty kick (any free kick) is a punishment for foul play by the opposing team - but you advocate the offending side should enjoy latitude to their advantange over the offended.

That strikes me as a strange reversal of logic.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 13:46

You want keepers to stand still and meekly let the ball past them?

A penalty is nearly always a very heavy penalty for the offence committed. Slightly evening up the odds is welcomed.

So yes, players trying to unnerve the taker should happen, and as much as possible.

Penalty takers try mind games with the keepers as well...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 14:04

Just to add that, in a penalty shoot-out, the penalty isn`t a punishment for foul play. It`s a means of settling a drawn game with a bit of showbiz thrown in.

Even in normal play the ref has the option to send the offender off as well as awarding the penalty so I see no problem in giving the keeper some latitude in his attempts to save it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Fri 16 Jul 16:50

Quote:

sammer, Fri 16 Jul 03:01

I don`t believe there is any data available which supports your case.

The keeper is your best bet for penalty number 2.

Don't let that lack of data get in the way of your theory though, eh? 😂

I am inclined to agree with the basics of your point - that keepers should take more penalties - but even then, a lot more comes down to each individual player than you seem to be allowing for.

Surely Ederson should be the first name that comes to mind rather than Pickford, for instance. If I was Pep, I would happily have him take a penalty in a shootout. I would be less keen to have Pickford taking one, and then there are keepers that would give me no confidence in their chances of scoring. De Gea, for example, took a truly dreadful penalty kick in the Europa League Final this year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Jul 18:31

Dougie Ross was guest on OTB today - he agreed with my view on Pickford’s attempt to disrupt the penalty kicks.

What would a Tory farmer know about fitba !!!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net