DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football at the Olympics
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 23:17

Although the opening ceremony isn`t until Friday the women`s football competition starts tomorrow. GB v Chile is on BBC2 with an 8.30 am kick off. Look out for Dunfermline`s Caroline Weir. There is no GB team in the men`s competition which starts on Thursday.

BBC Scotland have Chris McLaughlin, a producer and a cameraman at the Olympics but they have been told to self-isolate until 30 July as they were deemed to be in contact with someone on the plane going out who tested positive for Covid. They are each in a tiny room and meals, which apparently aren`t particularly appetising, are brought to them. I felt quite claustrophobic just reading about it.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football at the Olympics
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 01:51

I can`t help but think that this whole event is going to collapse into an international-scale disaster.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 04:53

Team GB for football, boo hope they lose in every game
Caroline Weir should never play for Scotland again

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 06:03

Yeah no interest in a team gb (or the summer Olympics generally for that matter)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 08:34

GB playing in all-blue Scotland kit! Weir and Little start.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 08:54

Man City L 1 Chile 0
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 10:23

Both Scottish players subbed off while Stanway playing in midfield beside them has stayed on despite giving the ball away every time she got it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 10:32

Has anyone said “it’s coming home” yet?

Post Edited (Wed 21 Jul 11:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 10:34

"Both Scottish players subbed off while Stanway playing in midfield beside them has stayed on despite giving the ball away every time she got it."

Those big bad Tories at it again, eh?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 10:35

They were subbed with minutes to go to protect them from injury! Both made great contributions but the overall result was disappointing considering how much possession GB had and the total lack of goal threat from Chile.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 10:37

P.S. - Billy Gilmour could be the new Kim Little. I think he`s that good.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:13

Quote:

1970par, Wed 21 Jul 04:53

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:20

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 21 Jul 10:34

"Both Scottish players subbed off while Stanway playing in midfield beside them has stayed on despite giving the ball away every time she got it."

Those big bad Tories at it again, eh?

That Tory patter is honking pal
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:25

Sweden have just beaten USA 3-0; a bit of a shock that one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:26

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Wed 21 Jul 11:13

Quote:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I don't think 1970par was being entirely serious there mate 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:28

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 21 Jul 11:26

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Wed 21 Jul 11:13

Quote:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I don't think 1970par was being entirely serious there mate 😀

Lol, yeah, it was more to do with the comment adding fuel to the real numbskulls 🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:36

1970par is entirely serious, our men are discouraged from playing for Team GB as the SFA want to maintain our national identity

Players who decide they want to play for Team GB should not be selected for Scotland in the future (Dunfermline lass or not)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 11:45

Quote:

1970par, Wed 21 Jul 11:36

1970par is entirely serious, our men are discouraged from playing for Team GB as the SFA want to maintain our national identity

Players who decide they want to play for Team GB should not be selected for Scotland in the future (Dunfermline lass or not)

At the moment, in women's football, the Olympics is unfortunately the pinnacle of their sport at the moment.
You would stop an athletes dream to play at the very top in fear of something that would never happen ?
The fact is that the SFA work alongside the other associations in providing players for the womans squad at the Olympics .

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 12:47

All these scare stories were raised in 2012 when Kim Little and Ifeome Dieke were selected for the GB women`s football team. Nine years later Scotland men`s and women`s teams still compete in international competitions. It`s time to move on surely.

Mind you, it did annoy me when presenter Alex Scott said the next game for the team was England v Japan.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 13:54

Just ignore people like her, a typical ill informed BBC clown.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 15:15

Never saw it but the coin toss must have been the highlight with GB having 3 captains :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 17:57

Here`s one for the statos and fitba historians.

Which former St. Johnstone player represented GB in football in the Olympics ?

I think he was at Queens Park at the time, hence the amateur status when selected.

Cue Sammer...........................

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 18:52

ITV news just called them England as well 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 18:52

Quote:

1970par, Wed 21 Jul 11:36

Sorry mate I stand corrected.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 18:58

`Which former St. Johnstone player represented GB in football in the Olympics ?`

Ron McKinven

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 19:05

I also heard the female ITN newsreader calling the team England . I went mental at her, I was surprised that my wife didn't say anything to me. Why do these cretins get well paid jobs!!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 19:23

It was weird as well as she was quite literally talking about Team GB when she called them England.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 19:32

Wee Eck got the answer that I hadn`t a clue about. I remember Ron McKinven the name - a player alongside Bill McCarry. Joe Coburn and Gordon Whitelaw in the mid 1960s. I think he was a tall centre half but I can`t really put a face to him. He must have played alongside Fergie at both Queens Park and St. Johnstone.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 20:49

Well done Wee Eck and Sammer.

Ron played alongside Sir Fergie at QP and St.J. - lived across the street from my gran and grandad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_McKinven

I think he played twice for GB in 1960 Olympics.

He became an interior designer/architect - if you ever visit the Birds n` Bees pub in Stirling area........he was responsible for that development.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 08:19

nothing to do with that... genuinely no interest in supporting any international football team other than my own, scotland

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 09:48

You can watch without supporting. Having the chance to see a local girl perform at the Olympics is quite a rare opportunity.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 10:43

Seen a lot of sad men on social media getting a bit teary at the thought of two Scottish girls representing team GB in the Olympics. These girls may be Scottish but like it or not they`re also British as well, so why not represent GB at the Olympics?

Good on them. I hope they win gold then come back and do the business for Scotland in their WCQ`s.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:28

Not saying you or anyone else can’t watch and not criticising anyone who does… just saying that I’ve no interest in Olympic football, I’ve no interest in team gb as they don’t represent me (and before anyone asks about passports, they may politically represent what’s on the front of my passport right now, but they don’t from my own personal perspective) so won’t be watching

I also wouldn’t watch something I’ve no interest for no other reason then someone participating happened to be born within x-number miles of from me

If pressed I’d say my own personal viewpoint is that there’s no such thing as British in football and I think it’s disrespectful to the wishes of our football authorities to even form this team in the first place
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:40

Politics and sport is a difficult combination. I share a lot of your reservations, DBP. All I can say is that, when I watched the game yesterday, the only thing I was really interested in was that the two Scottish girls did well. That`s usually how I feel about watching any GB athletes at the Olympics.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:53

Quote:

DBP, Thu 22 Jul 11:28

Not saying you or anyone else can’t watch and not criticising anyone who does… just saying that I’ve no interest in Olympic football, I’ve no interest in team gb as they don’t represent me (and before anyone asks about passports, they may politically represent what’s on the front of my passport right now, but they don’t from my own personal perspective) so won’t be watching

I also wouldn’t watch something I’ve no interest for no other reason then someone participating happened to be born within x-number miles of from me

If pressed I’d say my own personal viewpoint is that there’s no such thing as British in football and I think it’s disrespectful to the wishes of our football authorities to even form this team in the first place

Even though all the associations cooperated to allow the players compete ???
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:04

I was speaking in the wider context regarding the home nations’ football authorities and their wider lack of support
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:09

Quote:

DBP, Thu 22 Jul 12:04

I was speaking in the wider context regarding the home nations’ football authorities and their wider lack of support

That is true, but also that they recognise that this , at the moment, is the biggest tournament and stage that woman's football can compete at, and quite rightly support any player that is selected and wishes to represent Team GB
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:19

I’ve not disagreed with any of that, just gave my own personal view as to why I’m not interested
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:27

Brazil v Germany in the men`s competition is kicking off on the red button just now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 13:01

One way traffic. Richarlison hat-trick inside half an hour.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 13:25

Glad that penalty was saved. Never a penalty as ball headed down onto his arm from less than a meter away.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 13:32

Quote:

DBP, Thu 22 Jul 12:19

I’ve not disagreed with any of that, just gave my own personal view as to why I’m not interested

👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 08:08

Quote:

The Toun Clock, Thu 22 Jul 10:43

Seen a lot of sad men on social media getting a bit teary at the thought of two Scottish girls representing team GB in the Olympics. These girls may be Scottish but like it or not they`re also British as well, so why not represent GB at the Olympics?

Good on them. I hope they win gold then come back and do the business for Scotland in their WCQ`s.

Seconded.

Athletes can represent their home country in appropriate competitions such as the Commonwealth Games - so why not as GB at the Olympics as well ?

I can’t think it compromises the continuing existing status of the 4 home nations as separate international entities.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 08:38

FIFA were in favour of all 4 “home” nations amalgamating to form one international team, the SFA and their counterparts in Wales and Northern Ireland viewed competing as Team GB at the Olympics as a step towards this becoming a reality, this is why the other home nations do not align to Team GB

If you want to start singing “It’s Coming Home” then by all means carry on but beware the consequences, one day you will be cheering on a United Kingdom team in the World Cup and the Euros which is filled with English players and one Scottish player one Welsh player and one Norn Iron player in the squad who never get a game

Why do you think the SFA and the other home nations other than England very so opposed to it at the London “home” Olympics

I quote a passage from the lead up to the London games :-

All four "home nations" have separate memberships in FIFA.

However, there will be an interesting situation in 2012. As host of the Olympics, Great Britain is entitled to a spot in the football tournament, and have said they will take it - the first time they will compete since professional players were allowed in 1972.

Currently, the four nations` Football Associations have told FIFA that the team should be made up entirely of English players, because they fear a mixed team will lead to the disruption of their status as separate World Cup entities. FIFA has said that it will not, but the FAs do not want to set a precedent.

However, the British Olympic Association wants to select players from all four countries, and FIFA has acknowledged that there is no legal way to stop that. At this point, they are hoping that no Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish players will make themselves available for the team.

Team GB, no thanks!

Post Edited (Fri 23 Jul 08:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 08:45

Once we get independence it won’t be an issue any more as we will be sending a Team Scotland to represent our country at the Olympic Games

My thoughts return to Sir Chris Hoey who decided he did not wish to represent Scotland at the Commonwealth Games instead wishing to focus on the following Olympics for team GB
I have to say I wanted him to get a puncture in the final of the Olympics, Scottish hero, sorry but he blotted his copybook when he turned his back on his country

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 09:14

Quote:

1970par, Fri 23 Jul 08:38

FIFA were in favour of all 4 “home” nations amalgamating to form one international team, the SFA and their counterparts in Wales and Northern Ireland viewed competing as Team GB at the Olympics as a step towards this becoming a reality, this is why the other home nations do not align to Team GB

If you want to start singing “It’s Coming Home” then by all means carry on but beware the consequences, one day you will be cheering on a United Kingdom team in the World Cup and the Euros which is filled with English players and one Scottish player one Welsh player and one Norn Iron player in the squad who never get a game

Why do you think the SFA and the other home nations other than England very so opposed to it at the London “home” Olympics

I quote a passage from the lead up to the London games :-

All four "home nations" have separate memberships in FIFA.

However, there will be an interesting situation in 2012. As host of the Olympics, Great Britain is entitled to a spot in the football tournament, and have said they will take it - the first time they will compete since professional players were allowed in 1972.

Currently, the four nations` Football Associations have told FIFA that the team should be made up entirely of English players, because they fear a mixed team will lead to the disruption of their status as separate World Cup entities. FIFA has said that it will not, but the FAs do not want to set a precedent.

However, the British Olympic Association wants to select players from all four countries, and FIFA has acknowledged that there is no legal way to stop that. At this point, they are hoping that no Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish players will make themselves available for the team.

Team GB, no thanks!

The biggest part of that copy and paste that is missing from the argument is that the one biggest obstacle to their being a UK team......the English FA.....

One of the biggest associations in FIFA do not want their team amalgamated into a combined team, never mind the objections by the other 3 associations.

The FA could not been seen to oppose the BOA request for a GB mens team at 2012 because the financial rewards they were to receive was too good to turn down
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 09:20

Quote:

1970par, Fri 23 Jul 08:45

Once we get independence it won’t be an issue any more as we will be sending a Team Scotland to represent our country at the Olympic Games

My thoughts return to Sir Chris Hoey who decided he did not wish to represent Scotland at the Commonwealth Games instead wishing to focus on the following Olympics for team GB
I have to say I wanted him to get a puncture in the final of the Olympics, Scottish hero, sorry but he blotted his copybook when he turned his back on his country

The fact of the matter was that due to a Olympic qualification event was being held at the same time as the Dehli commonwealth games, due to them being in October 2010.
Once more this was about an athlete wanting to compete at the pinnacle of his sport, but due to the competitive nature of his event , if he wanted to go and take part in his last chance at the Olympics then a choice had to be made.
This wasn't a wish on his part, but more of a career choice.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 14:54

So that me started on the British and Irish Lions, what a piece of nonsense that is? Why is there a need for the “home” nations and Ireland now (will France and Italy become part of it soon?) to amalgamate to take on single nations from the Southern Hemisphere?

How long will it be before players are saying sorry I can’t play for Scotland because I want to stay fit for the British and Irish and French and Italian Lions Tour

What’s wrong with just representing the nation of your birth?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 15:08

Quote:

1970par, Fri 23 Jul 14:54

So that me started on the British and Irish Lions, what a piece of nonsense that is? Why is there a need for the “home” nations and Ireland now (will France and Italy become part of it soon?) to amalgamate to take on single nations from the Southern Hemisphere?

How long will it be before players are saying sorry I can’t play for Scotland because I want to stay fit for the British and Irish and French and Italian Lions Tour

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 23:33

Quote:

1970par, Fri 23 Jul 14:54

Because Scotland would be a second tier nation at rugby relegated if stuck with only Scottish born players

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 23:58

Australia 2 Argentina 0

Now, that`s not too shabby a result...

COYA!

:)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 00:23

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 23 Jul 23:58

Australia 2 Argentina 0

Now, that`s not too shabby a result...

COYA!

:)

Referee was a total bawbag.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 11:31

Japan v GB women about to kick off. Kim Little is captain, Caroline Weir on the bench.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 12:18

A game totally devoid of incident.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 12:44

Caroline Weir on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 16:49

We could just ditch the whole corrupt Olympic circus - but we won't.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/24/tokyo-olympic-sport-displacing-athletes?utm_term=c56a21681f1f38d98976b98d87e76a3f&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUS&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUS_email

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net