DAFC.net
Home 29 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 League Cup qualification
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:46

Has anyone researched our chances of qualifying for the next stage of the League Cup now that we`re down to the last round of games? I had a quick look and I thought we had a reasonable chance of going through as one of the best runners-up assuming we beat Stenhousemuir but there were too many variables to be sure.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: League Cup qualification
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:48

Unless there are some absolute freak results we will be through if we win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:52

^^ think the bookies would be investigating some of them if they happen too lol, there is a chance a win on penalties would be enough to go through as well but that depends on even more results going our way too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:00

If Partick can beat St Mirren and we beat Stenhousmuir we'd top the group I believe unless Partick win by a silly score and somehow managed to end up with a better goal difference than us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:04

I was more concerned about runners-up in other groups, lpf. Isn`t it only the best three that go through?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:05

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 22 Jul 12:04

I was more concerned about runners-up in other groups, lpf. Isn`t it only the best three that go through?

If we beat Stenny, we will be through as best runners up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:16

I quite enjoy going through the groups to see what is needed, though usually you end up with comeone sneering contemptuously at you for `being so negative that you`re looking for ways that we can`t qualify`.

Anyway, we have to win in 90 mins against Stenhousemuir, otherwise it`s pretty unlikely we can get through. If we do win, Partick beating St Mirren by less than 5 sees us go through as group winners.

If St Mirren get at least a point then we`re looking at best second place teams. 2 of the 7 other groups are already such that it`s impossible for two teams to get to 9 points, and this time only 3 go through rather than 4. So we`d need 3 of the following to happen to get through:

Group B - draw between Kelty/Arbroath, or winner to win by a small enough margin not to overtake us on goal difference.

Group C - Dundee to beat Forfar (90 mins or penalties), or Forfar to win by 4 goals

Group D - Livingston to do better than lose by 5 goals at home to Cowdenbeath, or Raith Rovers to fail to win in 90 mins at home to Alloa

Group E - Hamilton to lose/draw/win by less than 5 at home to Albion Rovers or Falkirk to win/draw away to Ayr. Second part unlikely as Falkirk will probably forfeit.

Group F - Motherwell to lose/draw/win by less than 6 at home to Annan or Airdrie to lose/draw/winby less than 4 away to Queen of the South

Groups D and F should be OK as both would need unlikely results to cause us a problem. It would probably come down to needing one of B, C or E to go our way. They could all go wrong but all are better than evens to go our way.

Basicaly it`s a case of just win by any score, and it should be OK.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:25

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 22 Jul 12:04

It is but I thought the winners were seeded in the draw next round so was trying to be optimistic but it looks like it's only the top 3 group winners.

As the others have said any win just about seals it. Check soccerstand.com and click in the standings tab and it gives you the current rankings of the teams and you can see we're in decent shape provided we do the business on Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 13:08

Thanks, guys.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 13:16

Good stuff Socks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paristotle  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 15:53

Quote:

Socks, Thu 22 Jul 12:16

I quite enjoy going through the groups to see what is needed, though usually you end up with comeone sneering contemptuously at you for `being so negative that you`re looking for ways that we can`t qualify`.

Anyway, we have to win in 90 mins against Stenhousemuir, otherwise it`s pretty unlikely we can get through. If we do win, Partick beating St Mirren by less than 5 sees us go through as group winners.

If St Mirren get at least a point then we`re looking at best second place teams. 2 of the 7 other groups are already such that it`s impossible for two teams to get to 9 points, and this time only 3 go through rather than 4. So we`d need 3 of the following to happen to get through:

Group B - draw between Kelty/Arbroath, or winner to win by a small enough margin not to overtake us on goal difference.

Group C - Dundee to beat Forfar (90 mins or penalties), or Forfar to win by 4 goals

Group D - Livingston to do better than lose by 5 goals at home to Cowdenbeath, or Raith Rovers to fail to win in 90 mins at home to Alloa

Group E - Hamilton to lose/draw/win by less than 5 at home to Albion Rovers or Falkirk to win/draw away to Ayr. Second part unlikely as Falkirk will probably forfeit.

Group F - Motherwell to lose/draw/win by less than 6 at home to Annan or Airdrie to lose/draw/winby less than 4 away to Queen of the South

Groups D and F should be OK as both would need unlikely results to cause us a problem. It would probably come down to needing one of B, C or E to go our way. They could all go wrong but all are better than evens to go our way.

Basicaly it`s a case of just win by any score, and it should be OK.

Truly excellent work - you have answered all my questions 🙏
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 16:03

How many competitions these days allow the final round of games to be played at different times. Of course with the odd number of teams in groups one team always sits out but it`s definitely an advantage for any team playing tomorrow knowing what they have to do to qualify.

Post Edited (Sat 24 Jul 16:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 17:01

From what I can make out we`re through to the next round.

Seems a bit quiet on here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 17:07

I agree with WSQ, it's an example of fair play being ditched for financial gain.

Hearts v Caley Thistle is a dead rubber, probably not what the authorities expected.

On the other hand, St Mirren go into tomorrow's match knowing they only need to draw after 90 minutes to win the section. Thistle need to win by 3 goals, in which case they would qualify in 2nd place behind DAFC.

Thistle could beat St Mirren by 1 or 2 goals which would give them 9 points, in which case they'll finish 3rd with more points than Livingston who do qualify! (I assume a team has to finish 2nd to qualify as a best runner-up.)

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 17:22

Stanza wrote:

> I agree with WSQ, it's an example of fair play being
> ditched for financial gain.
>
> Hearts v Caley Thistle is a dead rubber, probably not what the
> authorities expected.
>
> On the other hand, St Mirren go into tomorrow's match
> knowing they only need to draw after 90 minutes to win the
> section. Thistle need to win by 3 goals, in which case they
> would qualify in 2nd place behind DAFC.
>
> Thistle could beat St Mirren by 1 or 2 goals which would give
> them 9 points, in which case they'll finish 3rd with more
> points than Livingston who do qualify! (I assume a team has to
> finish 2nd to qualify as a best runner-up.)
>
>

Both St Mirren & Hearts can finish a seeded team so there’s certainly no dead rubber.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 17:26

The draw for the next round taking place tomorrow will have the three best group winners seeded along with the five Premier teams who got a bye from the group stage. Things are going to get a bit tougher.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Jul 18:38

It seems to have escaped the BBC`s attention that we shall qualify regardless of tomorrow`s result between St Mirren and Thistle.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 15:31

Can't believe the BBC still haven't figured out we're guaranteed to go through, maths can't be their strong suit...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 15:35

I think Richard Gordon acknowledged that we were through in his intro to Sportsound this afternoon but the BBC Sport website is still saying any two from three can qualify.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 16:32

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 25 Jul 15:35

I think Richard Gordon acknowledged that we were through in his intro to Sportsound this afternoon but the BBC Sport website is still saying any two from three can qualify.

I suppose that it was mathematically possible for Thistle to qualify at the expense of St Mirren, if they were to win by a barrow load, but the Pars are through in any case, so it should read Pars and either/or.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 16:56

St Mirren 2-0 Partick Thistle

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 18:36

Is that four years in a row we`ve qualified from our group? That`s not a bad achievement considering that, the way the draw works, we always have to play a Premiership club away from home.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 19:03

Is the draw live anywhere?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SevenTay  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 19:05

Live on Premier Sports after the Hearts v ICT game.

Post Edited (Sun 25 Jul 19:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: charlie1  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 19:24

Got Rangers away!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 19:25

Oh Shiite!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net