DAFC.net
Home 18 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Graham Dorrans
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 08:11

The courier reporting we've launched a bid to sign him now that he's a free agent, been training with Dundee for fitness.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Graham Dorrans
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 10:49

Quote:

king lad, Mon 26 Jul 08:11

The courier reporting we've launched a bid to sign him now that he's a free agent, been training with Dundee for fitness.

Scotsman also covering this story. Apparently he’s currently training at Dens but not committed to Dundee. I guess an old head in the squad wouldn’t be a bad idea.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 12:06

I can just about remember him being a good player.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 12:26

Would do the same job as Whittaker did last season for us, as long as his legs can still take him through a game then I think he would be a good signing

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 12:30

A Dundee fan on P&B said he wanted him to remain at Dundee before he went to Oz. Also said he`s the type to take the ball off the centre backs and play passes about which is something PG is looking for I believe. I`d be happy with the signing, good experience in the middle, similar to Whittaker`s role last season but probably a better footballer. Surround him with legs and we may be on to something.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 12:34

I too would be very happy to see Graham Dorrans at our club. I think he could have a steadying influence for us and the signing would send out the right message. Here’s hoping we can put something together to get this move over the line.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 12:43

all the midfielders can do that role apart from Pybus although a move for Dorrans would allow him and Thomas in particular to play further forward i guess.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 12:46

You can never have enough good players, as the saying goes. Would be happy if we got him

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 13:07

Having players that can do the same job is no bad thing. Competition for places and all that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 13:16

I suppose it depends how much PG has left in his budget, something we would-be managers don`t have to worry about.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 13:27

I think he`d be totally different to Whittaker. Their respective skill sets are not the same.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 19:50

What people mean is to have an old head on the park similar to what Whittaker did last year, can use his experience to control the game

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 20:37

Hmm another midfielder with likely no legs, wouldn’t say it’s worked well for us over the last few years…

At least I have faith grant won’t play him in a midfield 2! Might be okay in a 3 though.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 20:42

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 26 Jul 20:37

Hmm another midfielder with likely no legs, wouldn’t say it’s worked well for us over the last few years…

At least I have faith grant won’t play him in a midfield 2! Might be okay in a 3 though.

shock horror ur posting about a central midfielder, choosing who u gonna complain and moan at this season yet? every season you always have one centre midfielder you pick out !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 20:59

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 26 Jul 20:37

So far Peter Grant has shown himself as knowing the game of fitba, maybe show a bit of trust?
Not like we've started horribly now is it?

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 21:49

Signing tomorrow apparently.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 22:07

Great news some experience would be an astute move with this team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 23:23

Would be a decent player for us. My only concern is the high amount of bookings he gets. 23 games for western and 11 yellows, 4 goals and 2 assists. Certainly worth a go and as stated above seems to fit the profile of the type of game the gaffer plays. As long as he keeps the bookings level down and doesn`t start collecting reds.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 26 Jul 23:55

Quote:

Polt, Mon 26 Jul 23:23

Would be a decent player for us. My only concern is the high amount of bookings he gets. 23 games for western and 11 yellows, 4 goals and 2 assists. Certainly worth a go and as stated above seems to fit the profile of the type of game the gaffer plays. As long as he keeps the bookings level down and doesn`t start collecting reds.

He does pick up a lot of yellow cards, on average 1 every 5 games over his career. He may be picking up more now as the years catch up with him. He has only been sent off twice in over 400 games at a very high level though, so wouldn't lose much sleep over his discipline
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 09:07

A-League is a higher standard than the Championship in Scotland and WSW are a pretty average side in that league.

If we, as expected, are at the right end of the table, I'd imagine Dorrans would be an asset - especially if we are planning on dominating possession.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 10:32

That’s harsh pars207, last season we ended up with centre backs playing in the middle of the park while we were overrun in the midfield in most games. Whittaker has never been a a central midfielder!

I do have faith in grant, a lot more than I had in crawford when it comes to tactics and winning the midfield battle that’s for sure!

Dorrans is an asset in the midfield 3 that’s for sure DA-go Par Adonis wrote:

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 10:43

harsh? lol u have had a scapegoat every single year from centre midfield !

Midfield 3..... only played 3 in the middle at St Mirren so far this season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bovril Man  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:09

I’m pretty underwhelmed with us signing Dorrans, I’m afraid.

Living in Sydney, I saw every minute of every Wanderers game last season, and despite his undoubted pedigree, he was bang average in a side that underachieved badly last year. There’s no question he was a great player in his prime, and could still produce a moment of quality every now and then (he scored a great goal from the halfway line in one game) but, mostly he was off it and just collected pointless yellow cards and the odd suspension IIRC.

You could perhaps understand PG taking a punt on him for 12 months, but a 2-year deal is a bit irresponsible. Anyway, he’s here now so fingers crossed he finds the Championship a bit easier than the A-League.

BM.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:15

I think it`s fair to say that Melbourne City and Sydney FC would give the likes of Killie and Hamilton a doing more often than not.

I don`t think I`d want Dorrans if we were scrapping for points in the Premier League. I am hopeful he`ll do well in a good Championship team though - assuming that`s what we are.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:15

Bovril Man - If he did play in a bang average side, then he will flourish playing alongside better players. Trust me on this

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:54

bovril... he was bang average in a side that underachieved badly last year....

that tends to happen when teams are poor or average!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:55

New team fresh start, look at Pybus, sterling example..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 15:35

Quote:

Berry, Tue 27 Jul 14:55

What's Pybus done like?

Truthfully I'm not that keen on the Dorrans signing, he looked very poor for Dundee last season, and him leaving Dundee was actually the catalyst for them improving quite dramatically.

A 2 year deal? Eh...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gem 1977  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 15:44

Quote:

Grant, Tue 27 Jul 15:35

Quote:

Berry, Tue 27 Jul 14:55

What's Pybus done like?

Truthfully I'm not that keen on the Dorrans signing, he looked very poor for Dundee last season, and him leaving Dundee was actually the catalyst for them improving quite dramatically.

A 2 year deal? Eh...

Bit harsh. He only played 4 games last season.

Here's to the first of the day, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.
Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SammyT73  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 15:58

Horses for courses, that's why Peter Grant is building a squad, Cappielow or Inverness in January won't bode well for the like of Dorrans or Dom Thomas as they are quality ball players but I'd bet Pybus has the engine to fight through the mud baths, looks to me a similar player to Andy Geggan, not so much speed and finesse but battles for 90 minutes.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:06

I think it's important to not get carried away but we're definitely winning the league by Easter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:08

What actually happened to Graham Dorrans for him to go from starting every week in the EPL to ending up back up here? Looked slow at dundee so maybe a bad injury at some point?

Quite excited to see him tbh, just concerned he may have injury problems.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:10

Sorry i was being sarcastic with the Pybus comment.

Could this end up being another Whittaker type situation where he comes into the coaching fold at some point?

Post Edited (Tue 27 Jul 16:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:24

hows about letting the guy get in the team, play and see what he can do under this manager and with this group of players before making judgements?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:35

some people are unable to do such a thing GJS93, the dismiss players and ideas straight away whether its a player joining from another team to the views on vaccines cause they think they know best.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:35

"Quite excited to see him tbh, just concerned he may have injury problems."

Played just about every game in the A-League, which finished at the beginning of June.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:21

Quote:

Bovril Man, Tue 27 Jul 14:09

I’m pretty underwhelmed with us signing Dorrans, I’m afraid.

Living in Sydney, I saw every minute of every Wanderers game last season, and despite his undoubted pedigree, he was bang average in a side that underachieved badly last year. There’s no question he was a great player in his prime, and could still produce a moment of quality every now and then (he scored a great goal from the halfway line in one game) but, mostly he was off it and just collected pointless yellow cards and the odd suspension IIRC.

You could perhaps understand PG taking a punt on him for 12 months, but a 2-year deal is a bit irresponsible. Anyway, he’s here now so fingers crossed he finds the Championship a bit easier than the A-League.

BM.

Probably didn’t like the weather 😃

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:25

Quote:

GJS93, Tue 27 Jul 16:24

hows about letting the guy get in the team, play and see what he can do under this manager and with this group of players before making judgements?

It's not like anyone isn't going to do that is it?

If you're going to dismiss any comments that are critical of the signing then dismiss any positive comments aswell.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:30

I think he’ll be alright in the Championship personally with the job we’ll likely be asking him to do.

Also sure he’ll be an asset off the pitch as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 18:15

Quote:

Berry, Tue 27 Jul 17:30

I think he’ll be alright in the Championship personally with the job we’ll likely be asking him to do.

Also sure he’ll be an asset off the pitch as well.

yeh lot of people don't realise how much of an influence these types of guys can be off the pitch

Wikipedia has him at over 420 senior appearances, going to be invaluable to the whole team
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 18:21

And, a lot of those 420 senior appearances are at a VERY high level
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 18:27

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 27 Jul 18:21

very much so, same with Whitts and to slightly lesser extent Shields, they will bring on Josh, Kyle etc.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 20:23

Quote:

PARS207, Tue 27 Jul 18:27

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 27 Jul 18:21

very much so, same with Whitts and to slightly lesser extent Shields, they will bring on Josh, Kyle etc.

I'm looking forward to having him in the Team. The squad we have assembled, mostly players between 20 to 24 who have already gained a lot of experience, are ready to kick on. I really hope they are of the mindset that they don't really want to be here. By that I mean not that they aren't interested, but that they are going to use us as a platform to learn, work hard on the training ground and on the pitch and get a move to a bigger club. Someone like Graham Dorrans, who has played the majority of his career in the English Premiership, should be exactly the type of man they will look up to, and hopefully he will inspire them to knuckle down and work hard on their game
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dfc  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 11:22

Glad we didn`t sign him as imo not what we need at dens atm. Possibly do a job in the championship and hope he does well for you boys. Good luck for the season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 13:04

Quote:

dfc, Wed 28 Jul 11:22

Glad we didn`t sign him as imo not what we need at dens atm. Possibly do a job in the championship and hope he does well for you boys. Good luck for the season.

I’m sure that didn’t mean to sound patronising dfc ;-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 13:30

Really good interview with him on COWS

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 15:31

I think this is a great move. The team needs someone with experience of playing at a high level. I would never underestimate the value of experience and what that can offer. He will bring that dimension to the team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dfc  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 16:22

Not at all, we have plenty experience in midfield and a cpl of decent young ones who I wud prefer to see. I do hope you have a good season as its a day out I like.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net