DAFC.net
Home 18 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Peter Grant
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 13:46

When he came in as manager, there was quite a backlash on the appointment. I really had no opinion , but was influenced by the general mood. A few days in, he did an interview that I really felt good about. I liked what he had to say and his drive and enthusiasm, and in really wanted to give him a chance. Since then, it looks like he’s put together a guid squad and has already changed the style of football to a more attacking style in just a few shirt weeks. I still think there’ll be improvement, as fitness increases and the squad bonds. In hindsight, I’m delighted that the board appointed him and can’t wait to get going

Just wondered what the general thoughts were, and if people have changed their initial opinion.

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Peter Grant
Topic Originator: Cleveland12  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 13:49

Totally agree! I was really down about the appointment but that first big interview really turned me around. Can’t wait for the season to start now

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gegganpar  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 13:53

The new 'JOCK STEIN'???

J angus blacklaws
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 13:54

Like all managers he`ll be judged on results. The initial signs are good but it`s a long season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 13:55

It`s certainly looking good at the moment but we won`t be sure until the league is well underway. I wasn`t happy when he was first appointed but I do love his passion and honesty in interviews. It`s refreshing to hear him echo my thoughts about the two sloppy goals we`ve conceded against Stenhousemuir and Dumbarton and saying that we will be punished if we do that in the league. He is still under a lot of pressure. He has brought in some decent players and will be expected to challenge for the title or at the very least, comfortably get into the playoffs. Fingers crossed we can hit the ground running.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 13:58

Must confess I remember him as a bit of a hothead in his hoops wearing days, and never checked out any of interviews until the most recent one
Thoughtful, well spoken, intelligent, matured well with age.
As noted above it is early days, but I liked what I saw.

Post Edited (Tue 27 Jul 14:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:02

Far too early to tell, on the pitch not convinced yet, new style will take some getting used to but a lot of encouragement with the amount of goals we’ve scored.

The proper stuff starts this Saturday and I’ll start assessing him properly from that point.

His attitude is great and exactly how you’d want it and I’d argue that appointing him has helped a lot with these type of signings, would Petrie have been able to entice these sort of players to the club for example?

I think Grants reputation has helped in that regards with the pulling power.

His interviews are good although I do laugh at how often he refers to something as ‘so so important’.

I was not worried but reserved that we’d fall into a similar trap where we obtain an excellent top line and waste it by not having a decent midfield, bringing in Dorrans I think really helps in that regards, Thomas has been decent there as well lately but I’d like to see how he does it in the league.

Defensively I’m still not 100% comfortable but to be honest I can’t see how else he could improve it other than on the training pitch, think the players in that position are better than majority in the league.

On paper:

Wighton
Todorov
O’Hara
Kennedy
Dow
Thomas

Honestly for me that’s a mouth watering set of attacking players for the Championship and don’t think there’s any opposition near that calibre, we just have to make the most of it. Talk is cheap, they can start proving they are up for it this Saturday
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:09

He`ll be tactically naive eventually. It just depends when...

I wasn`t that inspired by the appointment but liked the look of Alloa when they were last at East End Park.

I also listened to his interview and liked his enthusiasm, but the thing I took from it was that it seemed like he was working with one hand tied behind his back over the past season due to the problem in getting loan players into a part-time set-up. Based on that, I thought it put Alloa`s performance in a different light.

Ultimately though, he`s the Pars manager and I hope he turns into the second coming of Rinus Michels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 14:13

I was pleased with the appointment.

Top class player, first team coach at West Ham, manager at Norwich, coach for Scotland and his part time team regularly played us off the park, according to some

Why would anyone think differently?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 15:52

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 27 Jul 14:13

I was pleased with the appointment.

Top class player, first team coach at West Ham, manager at Norwich, coach for Scotland and his part time team regularly played us off the park, according to some

Why would anyone think differently?

Yep, this.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:17

Another Yep, this from me

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:24

I was pretty neutral about the appoint to start with. I think I’m starting to become a fan tho. I really like what he has done so far.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:43

Wasn`t a big yes great appointment, or no please no for god sake don`t bring him in view for me.

But when you look back, was there one outstanding candidate from the usual names that go around ever time a club want a new manager? Not really.

A 9 minute interview and it had changed a lot of peoples views on the appointment.

The pleasing thing I would say is that the players seem to have taken to the change of style and formations we have gone with so far under PG, and he is getting performances and effort out of them he is happy with.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:48

What I like is he said from the start that we will be trying to won this league, not aiming for a playoff place. Also like the way he seems to be balancing the team up, in terms of options for each position. Hopefully no more playing guys where they are not suited. Much more attack minded too, no way would Crawford have played 3 strikers, though accept this won't be every game. True test will be the league though, but I get the impression that players will not enjoy a rollicking from PG if they are not doing their job.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:54

CrossPar, bit unfair to compare managers when its under total different circumstances, will be the usual calls for wtf is he doing or he has to go now when they go on a bad run no doubt, no matter who the manager is thats what happens.

Just 2 weeks ago we had folk on here going on please never play dom thomas ever again in the middle of the park, yet he isnt a natural centre midfielder is he ! Maybe PG has seen something in him or even stumbled across it with numbers being so short and has liked what he has seen, you can only pi55 with the co** u have at the end of the day !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 16:58

The Jury,s still out but looking promising at the moment

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:08

I was surprised at the time. However he`s recruited great, his interviews have been informative, he`s a blether in a good way and most importantly the team are playing good football again.
For balance, it`s easy when you`re winning,Grant doesn`t seem to pull any punches so his reactions when the inevitable bumps in the road come along will be interesting.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:16

I wasn’t sure at first but I’m coming round to him. The style of play seems refreshing but as others have said the league is where he will be judged. I absolutely wish him and the team the best for the season. At least Jordan only needs to ask two questions post match and that is an hour filled!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:18

What inspires me will be his ability to give players the hairdryer treatment,

he seems like the kinda manager who when he is pissed off you will know all about it and have respect (or fear) for what he is saying,

In that respect Crawford didn`t inspire me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:24

weemike, i know what ur saying but every manager is different and players respond to different types of manager

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:31

Quote:

PARS207, Tue 27 Jul 16:54

CrossPar, bit unfair to compare managers when its under total different circumstances

Don't see what is unfair or how the circumstances are totally different?
I was trying to make the point that Grant seems to have a more positive attitude than Stevie. That seems to me to be self evident.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 18:05

Quote:

CrossPar, Tue 27 Jul 17:31

Quote:

PARS207, Tue 27 Jul 16:54

CrossPar, bit unfair to compare managers when its under total different circumstances

Don't see what is unfair or how the circumstances are totally different?
I was trying to make the point that Grant seems to have a more positive attitude than Stevie. That seems to me to be self evident.

Well the whole covid situation and how it's changed for one.

Granted (will get my coat) PG comes across differently to Stevie but everyone is different at end of the day especially in the media. Can you imagine PG at a sportsman's dinner.... u be there for breakfast as well !!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 21:32

The acid test comes in those cold, dark days of midwinter and early spring, when you really find out what a team is made of. The past few seasons have been a big disappointment in that respect.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 21:36

Far, far, far too early to say anything about the managerial tenure tbf.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 21:39

I wasn’t overly enthused about the appointment, however, when I saw the first interview and his infectious enthusiasm I was up for giving him a chance. The more I’ve seen the more I’ve been completely turned around and look forward to seeing what he can bring. Already it seems a big turnaround from last year.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 21:57

I thought it was a very good appointment and he clearly has a good CV with the clubs he has been at.
He has that type of drive and desire and expects his team to have the same.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 22:11

Far to early to predict anything but I fancied him for the job before he got the job, so I`m in his camp

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 22:17

The way reading this though, is that results (obviously) will rule. But, despite some having initial doubts, it’s great to feel that most are now right behind him, or certainly not feeling negative about the situation.

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 22:20

I wasn`t very enthusiastic when they made the announcement, however, That`s the kind of football I like to watch. He has got some excellent players in and from what I am hearing , he is a very good man manager and is a very nice person . All the best Peter,

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 09:56

Like everyone else I enjoy his positivity but, to be honest, I find his interviews a wee bit repetitive. He laments the loss of soft goals but, if we continue to lose them and they cost us points, he`ll be the one who carries the can because that`s how football works.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 10:00

To be fair, most managers are repetitive in interviews.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 10:55

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Wed 28 Jul 10:00

PG is no different if listen to his interviews, same stuff so far time after time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 13:21

Quote:

PARS207, Wed 28 Jul 10:55

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Wed 28 Jul 10:00

PG is no different if listen to his interviews, same stuff so far time after time.

It can't be that easy to say something original and different every time he's interviewed.

On a side note, I've just read Paolo Di Canio's autobiography. He roomed with PG during his time at Celtic and I'm amazed he's still fairly normal after some of the jolly japes that mad bassa subjected him to. Most guys would be scarred for life. ☺

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 13:23

GG Riva, have u watched PG interview with Si Ferry on YouTube???

His stories about rooming with Di Canio are brilliant !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 16:12

I don't think its fair to compare managers under the clubs circumstances. SC came in and did a job for the club and lifted it in terms of the structure, signings etc. The job clearly took its toll in him. He clearly cared about the club and wanted to do a good job. If not, it wouldn't have affected him in that way. I think PG is a different kind of character and has age and experience on his side. From what I have read he has the enthusiasm for the game and respect from the players. He has a strong work ethic which is an essential part of the mix. I think he is ideal for the next step for the club. It is not about today or tomorrow. It is about the next 5 to 10 years and building a sustainable future. I think SC and the management team have done alot to turn the club around over the past two years to enable them to kick on for this season. I am confident we will be up there challengung for the title and playing entertaining football to boot.

Post Edited (Wed 28 Jul 16:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 18:14

I wasn`t impressed at all when he was appointed. Think I was looking for a bigger name why? I have no clue.

Since that first interview. I was captivated by his enthusiastic and positivity and self belief. Something that I felt has been missing from our management lately - not having a dig at SC as he had his own style and well it might have been more evident behind closed doors but i didn`t feel it expressed in dugout or interviews. Stopped watching his interviews as they were always the same. His recruitment was bang on though and has actually made "investments" from a small fund fee`s for Nisbet and Mcmanus.

PG has me excited for the season ahead and I know target is promotion as champions. He is a manager I hope to see achieve the goal of promotion this season if not next.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 16:51

Wonder if anyone's changed there mind since this thread...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:44

Well, you seem delighted

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:48

Not impressed tactically at the moment, gone back to the Jim Jeffries style back and forth across the back and a lack of drive from midfield

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:51

I want to give benefit of the doubt. Bearing in mind that most of the players only signed like two weeks ago, this is effectively our pre season

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:54

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Sat 7 Aug 17:51

I want to give benefit of the doubt. Bearing in mind that most of the players only signed like two weeks ago, this is effectively our pre season

2 games into an active league season and we're claiming it's still our pre season and that makes it all totally fine. No wonder we never progress with a mentality like that. Crackpot stuff.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:57

Oh get a grip. I clearly based my point around the fact that the players don’t yet know each other yet and need that time to gel (if they are going to). I never said it was fine. However, no need to wet the bed

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:59

A happy clapper pulling out the bed wetting patter 🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 18:00

Happy clapper. LOL!

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 18:54

Like many others I wasn`t too happy at his appointment at the time but he is here now so I will give him the time he needs ! I understand he wants us to play from the back etc and the reasons to play this formation , but it is clearly not working so hopefully he will change this system but i will not hold my breath , I am sure in an interview he said he was looking to have 2 players for each position in the team so there is a competitive edge . well I am sure the boys who are not playing at the moment will be wondering what they have to do to get a game ! anyway as i said I will give him the first round of games and make my mind up from there as that will be long enough to see if we will be at the races , bleak just now already 5 points behind and shipping goals every game

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 19:47

Imagine raking back through all the threads to find one like this.

What a sad life

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 22:03

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 7 Aug 19:47

What a sad life

Took all off 5 seconds, if I'm regretting those on my death bed I'll have had a good innings.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 23:30

Quote:

Kessel, Sat 7 Aug 17:59

A happy clapper pulling out the bed wetting patter 🤣🤣🤣

Poor show eh! Having said that I wouldny like your laundry bill.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 00:02

Quote:

Grant, Sat 7 Aug 22:03

Quote:

What a sad life

Took all off 5 seconds, if I'm regretting those on my death bed I'll have had a good innings.

Ask yourself why? Have you been vindicated? If so, are you happy? I like reading your posts normally, quite surprising that you choose to go down this path so soon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 01:33

I am a hysterically reactive fan during games and immediately after. But anyone calling for a managers head after 2 league games is a cretin. Unfortunately I think that is where we are at now with football and social media .

Post Edited (Sun 08 Aug 01:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 08:20

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 8 Aug 00:02

Quote:

Quote:

What a sad life

Ask yourself why? Have you been vindicated? If so, are you happy? I like reading your posts normally, quite surprising that you choose to go down this path so soon.

Felt it showed how quickly fans can be turned. Peter Grant went from being an unpopular appointment due to his pretty ropey c.v, to then being hailed as the new Jock Stein by someone after being a weak l1 and l2 side, to fans suggesting he should be sacked after two league games.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 08:46

Sunday morning. Any word if he's been punted yet?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jacko Par42  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 08:55

Not seen anything 🤣🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 09:10

Quote:

Grant, Sun 8 Aug 08:20

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 8 Aug 00:02

Quote:

Quote:

What a sad life

Felt it showed how quickly fans can be turned. Peter Grant went from being an unpopular appointment due to his pretty ropey c.v, to then being hailed as the new Jock Stein by someone after being a weak l1 and l2 side, to fans suggesting he should be sacked after two league games.

I didn't get the love in after the interview and don't get the hysteria after 2 league games. It could be argued that the midfield is the most important part of the team and ours is completely new. Surely he needs (deserves) at least a quarter to try and get things sorted.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 09:22

The last two league games has shipped in 5 needlessly conceded goals.
If PG hasn`t noticed the pattern being developed, he`ll never know.
I`ve been following The Pars since the early 70s and I cannot remember so much enthusiasm at the start of a season being complety chucked away after two games.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 09:25

Was never a popular choice so won`t take long for fans to get on his back if things are going wrong.
I do hope things pick up and he manages to sort things out, but will be here till at least Christmas no matter what.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 11:17

He was hired because Alloa played a couple of games well and nearly got results against us. Not for one second saying he should go now, that’s ridiculous, but I am not surprised to see what is happening. We’ll be bottom 4 by Christmas and he’ll get hounded out.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 11:45

I think we will get worse before we get better. By our own standards that was a very bad result. The problem in this league is that it is very unforgiving in terms of getting things wrong. There is little room for error and you will be heavily punished for it. There isnt much time to turn things around but I think PG will do that. It may take 5 or 6 games given its a new team with a new manager. I feel confident that we will have a better season than last. As others have said, like SC you need to give PG a chance and that to me is a full season at least.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 11:49

Definitely PG needs time. You don’t want to see players confidence drop and the last game we needed next was Rangers away then the Rovers.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 12:24

Last season we made a great start and fell away.
Dundee started poorly but got their act together in the second part of the season.
Nothing can be guaranteed so soon

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 12:39

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Sun 8 Aug 11:17

He was hired because Alloa played a couple of games well and nearly got results against us.

You should have ended that with "FACT".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Toddyrov  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 14:43

Was it just my eyes that saw the formation as more of a 532? I’ve saw others saying 343 but All I saw was everything going central. The occasional overlap from the wingbacks happened but if we were playing with wingers surely it would be Thomas out wide ?

Could be just viewing it wrong but I thought it was god awful tactically yesterday, hopefully it gets better.

Effe
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 14:58

Hopefully with Dow back in the mix, Kennedy and Thomas.. we can get them played out wide and drop the 532 formation. The wingbacks, while they have their qualities, can’t beat a man.. if teams double up on them we have no answers. Go 442 with Kennedy and Thomas wide, dorrans a bit deeper than Cole & please drop Graham and mehmet
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 17:33

The tactics of the general play up to the time we lost the two goals saw us have the bulk of possession. Having lost the two goals, which was nothing to do with tactics but poor marking at corners, we played into their hands because they were then going to sit back and spoil the game as much as possible and they did that to great effect. Gung ho was the only way after that because it was twist or bust. We needed a goal before half time and we had one meaningful effort to get one. What we needed in the second half, above anything else, was superior mental strength and physical effort and sheer will to win. We fell short in that respect so we came away with nothing.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net