DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Poor Starts
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 14:00

Not exactly got off to the flyer I hoped for but I still think (hope) we will come good.
I started following the Sea Eagles in the NRL last year after finding a long lost cousin in Australia.
They got massacred in their first 4 games this season. Not just soundly beaten, but massacred. Their points diff was close to -200.
Nobody was shouting for the managers sacking.
A couple of key players returned and on week 19 they only lost 2 more games. One to the champs elect this week, and another when half the team was missing to play in the Origins team.
Now they are looking likely to finish 4th and clinch a big advantage in the play offs.

Dundee had a successful turn around last year and as far as bad days at the office go, who expected Rangers to lose to utd.

Bad days happen. Long way to go.

Post Edited (Sun 08 Aug 14:02)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Poor Starts
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 14:36

Ironically one of the biggest reasons for Dundees turnaround was them getting rid of Dorrans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 15:31

Quote:

Grant, Sun 08 Aug 14:36

Ironically one of the biggest reasons for Dundees turnaround was them getting rid of Dorrans.

Absolute nonsense. The turnaround was when they dropped Jack Hamilton and signed McMullin & Cummings.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 15:54

2 biggest things for Dundee were signing a decent goalkeeper and bringing Shaun Byrne back to the first team to allow Charlie Adam to concentrate on what he does best - for me a Shaun Byrne type player is the biggest thing we are missing in the middle of the park.

I know a number of Dundee fans and they all talk highly of Dorrans.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 16:03

Quote:

Kdy Par, Sun 8 Aug 15:31

Quote:

Absolute nonsense. The turnaround was when they dropped Jack Hamilton and signed McMullin & Cummings.

Getting rid of Dorrans freed up wages to bring in McMullan and Cummings... It also meant that they stopped trying to cram him into the team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 16:12

I might be getting old, but I seem to recall Bertie Paton having poor results at the start. Maybe four or five defeats in the first six or seven matches, or something like that.
I think Paton was (rightly) given a break because he took over from Jocky Scott, and his last games were some of the worst performances I had ever seen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 16:13

Quote:

Grant, Sun 8 Aug 16:03

Quote:

Quote:

Getting rid of Dorrans freed up wages to bring in McMullan and Cummings... It also meant that they stopped trying to cram him into the team.

Is there anything you don't know?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 17:27

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 8 Aug 16:13

Quote:

Grant, Sun 8 Aug 16:03

Quote:

Quote:

Is there anything you don't know?

Lol....but he is right on this occasion.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 17:36

So the ONLY thing wrong with Dundee was Graham Dorrans? Absolute nonsense

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paristotle  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 18:28

Massacred today 👀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 20:22

Quote:

Grant, Sun 8 Aug 14:36

Correct.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 20:24

Quote:

Kessel, Sun 08 Aug 20:22

Quote:

Grant, Sun 8 Aug 14:36

Correct.

He played 3 games last season. Dundee’s turnaround didn’t start until February.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 22:06

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 8 Aug 17:36

So the ONLY thing wrong with Dundee was Graham Dorrans? Absolute nonsense

No, a few things were really. However Dorrans leaving just allowed pieces to fall into place that helped improve them. One of which being was that he seemed to be on a decent wage that Dundee were then able to invest in other areas of the park

At one point they had Dorrans, Adam, Byrne, McGowan and McGhee as centre midfield options, as well as the impressive Finn Robertson.

Dundee also switched between a few systems last season, at one point McDaid was a wing back. However they found there success with a 442/4231 in the playoffs against Killie.

We aren't terminal, not by a long shot but you need to hope that there's some signs from Grant in realising that his 532 formation simply isn't working, if he persists with it then I do worry for us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 09:44

Well, Dundee’s systems seem to be working well based on yesterday’s result, don’t they? Actually, looking at all the goals from the Scottish Premiership over the weekend there’s hardly one team whose defence looks to be operating successfully as a cohesive unit ……. and additionally there were some real goalkeeping howlers. So, in context, maybe we don’t need to press the panic button just yet.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 10:05

Not one clean sheet in a competitive match. That would say we to me that need to sort something out pretty quickly.
If our defence replicates Saturday's show this Friday it will be a humiliation .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 10:16

couple of posts referring to when Bert Paton took over the dunfermline job and the poor start under him.

What I remember from that is although we lost those games we actually performed quite well and a win would eventually happen.

We have played 2 league games under Peter Grant and first half against morton we were awful and on Saturday it was up there as any bad performance under Allan Johnston or Steve Crawford.

For me the results are not the concern it's the performance.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 10:24

I think we have to decide if we prefer the attacking route which more often than not will produce goals or last seasons approach which had us with a great defensive record but produce a whole string of draws or narrow defeats.
Looking at Saturday, we lost two set piece goals which isn't a reflection on tactics but just very shoddy marking, things that can be sorted on the training ground.
One thing that does stand out is we can see what Peter Grant is striving for in terms of ball retention and playing out from the back but he needs to ask himself if we have the right quality of players to achieve this.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 11:01

Maybe playing a Lithuanian International that's recently been up against Italy and Switzerland would be a start 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 12:03

It’s not a crisis as yet but I recon we need to be looking at 4 points from the next two league games or the championship aspirations will have gone after just four matches

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 12:46

Defensively, we have been poor. Offensively, we have been decent, Saturday aside.

Grant was a defensive midfielder, Shields and Whitaker were both defenders. I`m fairly sure they can see where the problems lie, as much as any of us?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 13:21

I am no hitting the panic button after 2 matches. We should be playing alot better but we brought in good signings but at the very tail end of pre season. Gonna give the players time to find full fitness as some still seem pretty lethargic especially when being closed down and closing the opposition down.

Hopefully soon Peter will have them all firing on all cylinders and putting in good shifts. As we need points to climb this table before the front pack make the gap too big.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 18:17

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 9 Aug 12:46

Defensively, we have been poor. Offensively, we have been decent, Saturday aside.

Have we though?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 07:54

The Sea Eagles are an extreme case. If Tom Trbojevic plays they win, if he doesn't play they lose.

He's more important to his team than anyone else in the whole of the NRL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 12:25

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 10 Aug 07:54

The Sea Eagles are an extreme case. If Tom Trbojevic plays they win, if he doesn't play they lose.

He's more important to his team than anyone else in the whole of the NRL.

Seems like it
I started watching them the game he got injured last year.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net