DAFC.net
Home 06 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Davie Wilson dementia
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 15:26

Just read that the family of the 82 years old former Rangers, Dundee Utd and Dumbarton stalwart say he will no longer be able to attend matches due to onset of dementia.
A direct exciting winger in his day with an eye for goal,he always posed a threat whoever he faced at club and international level
Oldies will recall his fantastic shift taking over at left back against England in 1963 when Eric Caldow suffered a broken leg after only 10 minutes - no subs in those days. Slim Jim scored twice but Davie was the hero in that memorable 2-1 victory.

Post Edited (Sat 14 Aug 15:53)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Davie Wilson dementia
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 18:15

A diver at premier league status

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 20:36

That is so sad parboiled .. I wish him well and have good memories of him as a player back in the day .. Also remember the 1963 game

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 21:55

That 63 game was the only game that I can remember my dad and I listening to on the radio. My dad died when I was young so I don't have too many memories of him.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 22:07

Very sad, I remember him well, especially the 1963 game against England when he put in a stupendous performance as a makeshift left-back after Eric Caldow`s leg-break. (I guess I remember it so vividly as I had broken my leg playing football three days earlier.)

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 23:08

Davie Wilson was told by his manager on a bus, playing for Ballieston Juniors, that the only way he`d get into Ibrox was by paying 2/6d like everyone else. Quite a put down. He is less celebrated than better wingers like Willie Johnston, Davie Cooper and Brian Laudrup.

But Wilson was a striker playing wide who scored at a rate of 40% for Rangers and for Scotland much the same. He was sharp as a tack in the penalty area and a great exponent of the diving header at the far post. Jimmy Armfield, the England captain who once suffered a Davie Wilson hat trick in an inter league match, said he was the hardest winger he ever had to mark.

Wilson was limited but tremendously effective. And when he pulled on that Scotland jersey he was fit to play with White, Law and Baxter. That`s how good he was.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 14:37

Fast as lightning, bright golden hair (not dyed) direct, a perfect foil for the meandering style of Henderson on the right flank and an ever present in the team that read:- Ritchie, Shearer, Callow, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar Brand and Wilson.

Post Edited (Sun 15 Aug 14:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 15:47

I recall him scoring a cracker v England in 1962, and there is a grainy old Pathe news clip on YouTube.
The fans were smartly dressed in those days - jackets, shirts and ties!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net