DAFC.net
Home 03 February 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gerd Muller (d)
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 13:22

It`s just been announced that the former Bayern Munich and Germany striker has died at the age of 75. He was pretty prolific - 365 goals in 427 appearances for Bayern and 68 goals in 62 appearances for (West) Germany.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gerd Muller (d)
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 13:25

Der Bomber…….

RIP

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 14:16

Very sad …..the original ‘fox in the box’. Fabulous striker.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 14:28

I remember seeing him play against Rangers at Ibrox when Rangers knocked Bayern Munich out of the cup winners cup in the semi final and went on to win it. Muller was playing with a stookie on his arm and Beckenbauer was in that team too. I left the ground with my ears ringing. Gerd Muller was a fantastic player but a team with at least 9 Scots eclipsed the mighty Bayern that night. But maybe the stookie weighed him down a bit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 15:52

Sad news.

He had a goal knocked off for offside in the 1974 WC final if memory serves - replays clearly showed it should have stood.

RIP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 16:37

Sad news...
One of the best strikers in history, Muller scored 68 goals in 62 appearances for West Germany, including the winning goal in the 1974 World Cup final against the Netherlands.

He also scored 547 goals in 594 competitive games during 15 years at Bundesliga giants Bayern. according to Aunty

RIP

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 16:38

This is terribly sad news. Gerd Müller was part of my time growing up as a teenager in the ‘70s. If you had to send one man out to score a goal to save your life then you couldn’t do much better than der Bomber. Rest in peace Gerd and thanks for all the memories.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 16:57

Before my time but even the quickest of glances back through the history of football throws up Muller's name and for anyone my age that had the epic Italia 90 Orbis sticker album, they will remember being in awe of the Player Profile page on Muller and his achievements in the game. RIP to one of the game's greats.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 17:17

Sad to hear. The quintessential poacher.
His strike rate was phenomenal

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 18:13

With players going for around £100m and whispers of Harry Kane £150m. What would Gerd be worth today?

LEGEND

RIP Gerd

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 19:57

‘Why have you brought that carthorse along?’ Such was allegedly the question asked by a TSV Nordlingen coach when local teenager Gerd Muller played a trial match. The scout’s reply would stand the test of time: ‘Wait till the ball is in the box; you’ll know then.’

In Scotland we produced players like Muller when Der Bomber was in his prime- stocky, muscular strikers who were fearless and had an eye for goal. But McBride, Harper and Deans never made much impact at European or International level. Maybe a generation before, McGrory and Gallacher came closer to Muller’s standard.

I doubt there was any one ‘secret’ which made Muller such a great goalscorer but he did seem to have a great awareness of not just where the goalkeeper was positioned, but also of how he was balanced. A fair number of his headers and shots wrong footed the goalkeeper.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 20:33

6 yard box striker and not too tall..RIP bomber😪
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 20:41

Sad news. Gerd Muller and Jimmy Greaves were the ultimate penalty box strikers but also pretty handy players generally. I can recall a video of Muller playing midfield late in his career due to an injury to a team mate. Also Greaves played midfield for Barnet for a season or two in non-league football.

It`s a real shame there isn`t much online showing just how great a player Muller was at a time when defenders could away with murder.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 22:50

It seems he was another victim of dementia. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer`s disease in 2015.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 22:56

A true penalty box striker. R.I.P

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 16 Aug 12:49

Was at the 1969 Scotland v Germany game.
Absolutely typical slick footed Muller goal, and equally typical Bobby Murdoch thunderbolt equaliser.
Decent clip on YouTube.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 16 Aug 18:34

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 15 Aug 22:50

It seems he was another victim of dementia. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer`s disease in 2015.

I believe he was also a victim of alcoholism before that, eck and Bayern rescued him by giving him a coaching role with their youth academy. He had no peers when it came to goal scoring. The stats provide compelling evidence.

RIP Gerd.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net