DAFC.net
Home 04 July 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Formation
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 15:05

Isn`t the main reason that Grant got the job not down to the much debated formation that enabled Alloa to play "good Football" ?

This was the endorsement from our Chairman and new owners when appointing Grant.

Given this, is it not here to stay as a new Football ethos and direction from Meggle and co ?

I wasn`t surprised he kept the same shape at Ibrox, the players haven`t adapted to it and he seen it as another opportunity to get more experience of it. I`m expecting the same again in Kirkcaldy.

I`m not convinced we have the players technically to play it, hence why he`s playing a Right Back as a centre back, it would seem there`s plenty supporters who have lost patience already with it, but those running the club seemingly have his back with it so the set-up on friday might not be what many are hoping for.

Post Edited (Sun 15 Aug 15:06)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Formation
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 17:03

Grant said when he took the job that he didn't have a defined philosophy and that he would work to the strengths of the players.

When Dow is fully fit, I'd be staggered if we're still playing 3-4-3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 17:11

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Sun 15 Aug 17:03

Grant said when he took the job that he didn't have a defined philosophy and that he would work to the strengths of the players.

When Dow is fully fit, I'd be staggered if we're still playing 3-4-3.

would u not see Dow on the right of a front 3 or just behind the main striker in a 3/4/2/1? Think that would suit him brilliantly with his movement and dribbling
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 17:19

I'd play Dow on the right, in front of Comrie and Thomas on the left ahead of Edwards.

If Dorrans is going to start, I'd have another two with him and play Wighton as the sole striker.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 18:06

I agree with Da-go par above.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 22:01

Also, did Grant not normally set up with a back 4 with Alloa? Checked a couple of match reports and he seemed to against us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 22:17

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Sun 15 Aug 17:19

I'd play Dow on the right, in front of Comrie and Thomas on the left ahead of Edwards.

If Dorrans is going to start, I'd have another two with him and play Wighton as the sole striker.

This ^

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 22:51

I have always been intrigued by the appointment of Grant and the statement attributed that his team played " good football " as a fan i would applaud" good
football " as long as it ended with 3 points or a cup victory .5 wins last season in 27 games is not "good football " in my mind , the formation at the moment is a disaster and we will be lucky to get 5 wins this season if he continues in the same vein, perhaps if we played to players individual positional strengths we will have some "good football to applaud

G.B
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 22:55

"Isn`t the main reason that Grant got the job not down to the much debated formation that enabled Alloa to play "good Football" ?"

"This was the endorsement from our Chairman and new owners when appointing Grant.

Given this, is it not here to stay as a new Football ethos and direction from Meggle and co ?"

the last signing of Jones would suggest it is here to stay more than McArthur/Meggle`s comments about the first game of the season, which they played 4 at the back not 3. things can change though, id expect changes on Friday night now but will it be only personnel or the system too?

"Also, did Grant not normally set up with a back 4 with Alloa? Checked a couple of match reports and he seemed to against us"

normally used a 4 but did use a 3 more towards the end of last season.
against us first game was a 4, the final games it was a 3.

Post Edited (Sun 15 Aug 23:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 23:06

Quote:

gordi-b, Sun 15 Aug 22:51

I have always been intrigued by the appointment of Grant and the statement attributed that his team played " good football " as a fan i would applaud" good
football " as long as it ended with 3 points or a cup victory .5 wins last season in 27 games is not "good football " in my mind , the formation at the moment is a disaster and we will be lucky to get 5 wins this season if he continues in the same vein, perhaps if we played to players individual positional strengths we will have some "good football to applaud

Gotta remember last season to this season is a total different ball game in terms of resources etc at managers disposal.

Question I would ask "fans" is say we went 4/4/2 but it ended up long ball punts up the parknto Todorov and play off him, would people be happy with that ?

Fans in the stands always moan when the ball is played long to the usual shouts of keep it on thr ground, but when they try play on the ground and keep the ball it's shouts of get it forward ! No middle ground apparently! The one big thing we lacked offensively against Thistle was any kind of movement from the front players to help those who had the ball.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 15 Aug 23:21

“Gotta remember last season to this season is a total different ball game in terms of resources etc at managers disposal. “

correct, vs our opponents we’re notably improved financials since last season, and therefore we should expect improvement

Post Edited (Sun 15 Aug 23:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Mon 16 Aug 08:25

mmm..!
he might have a system that he thinks should be followed, but that needs players skilled enough to do that, unsure about squad for that, it would have needed more cash for players.
so he just has to develop a system using current players strengths.
let’s hope he does not take all season and plunge us into a relation battle to find out.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 16 Aug 08:52

Quote:

pars4life1, Sun 15 Aug 23:21

“Gotta remember last season to this season is a total different ball game in terms of resources etc at managers disposal. “

correct, vs our opponents we’re notably improved financials since last season, and therefore we should expect improvement

Just out of a matter of interest, outside of the obvious difference in Hearts who are we closer to or further ahead of in terms of finance compared to last year?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net