DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 CVs for fitba managers or players.
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 30 Aug 00:44

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..........

Oh ****! You are serious arent you!?

Mpfffgphhhh hahahahaha.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: CVs for fitba managers or players.
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Mon 30 Aug 10:51

Meltdown ???
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 08:20

What’s wrong with CV’s for football managers?

More so in leagues such as ours than the bigger leagues granted, you know what the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho have achieved in their career without looking at a bit of paper.

Same challenge with players at lower level clubs.

What’s more laughable is we give Grant the job as manager, without the guy even applying for the job in the first place never mind looking at a CV, apparently he’s not worthy of applying for jobs and his experience speaks for itself…

If I recollect didn’t Grant mention in his first interview he’d never had much contact direct with or spoken with McCarthur before.

Absolute plonker and really really silly appointment regardless of whether he can turn this around or not. I’m usually one for giving managers time but his misplaced arrogance doesn’t sit well with me at all and the sooner he’s gone the better.

What’s worse is I wanted to believe him, win the league, everyone’s dream this season right? He sold us that dream with a lot of confidence and he’s choked on that after three games.

Post Edited (Tue 31 Aug 08:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 08:26

Roy Keane must have been getting the same pelters early season with Sunderland in the championship years ago. How did that turn out? 3 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 12:19

Topic Originator: PARrot - 3
Date: Mon 30 Aug 00:44

Mpfffgphhhh hahahahaha.

Another shining example of the condescending input from one of the posters behind the slide into complete decay that this site is going through.

Football players and managers/coaches absolutely still have CVS, indeed many of them are well present on professional networking sites like LinkedIn. Managerial appointment processes elsewhere run through presentations and interviews following an application process.

Perhaps the original poster should take some time away from the forum for their own benefit, and to the rest of us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 12:28

Do we know for sure what the process was for the recruitment of the present manager? I distinctly remember after AJ was appointed Ross McArthur saying how impressed the board were with his presentation and the research he`d done on the club before he was interviewed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 12:38

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 30 Aug 00:44

Mpfffgphhhh hahahahaha.

Stay off the sauce
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 12:43

The chairman said in an interview that Grant actually hadn’t applied for the job and they went and approached him

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 13:01

Grant said it himself in his first interview. They approached him, he spoke to Ross McArthur for a day and then met Meggle the following day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSS40TfB5YI

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 15:36

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 30 Aug 00:44

Mpfffgphhhh hahahahaha.

One of your better posts but that's not saying much.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 17:25

Quote:

theparsman1885, Tue 31 Aug 12:19

Mpfffgphhhh hahahahaha.

Another shining example of the condescending input from one of the posters behind the slide into complete decay that this site is going through.

Football players and managers/coaches absolutely still have CVS, indeed many of them are well present on professional networking sites like LinkedIn. Managerial appointment processes elsewhere run through presentations and interviews following an application process.

Perhaps the original poster should take some time away from the forum for their own benefit, and to the rest of us.

Have a wee sit down and read over the utter hogwash you just wrote. Then wonder why anyone would opt to be condescending.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CAPar  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 17:32

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 31 Aug 17:25

Quote:

theparsman1885, Tue 31 Aug 12:19

Mpfffgphhhh hahahahaha.

Have a wee sit down and read over the utter hogwash you just wrote. Then wonder why anyone would opt to be condescending.

He's not the one writing the hogwash here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 17:58

“ Have a wee sit down and read over the utter hogwash you just wrote. Then wonder why anyone would opt to be condescending.”

You started this thread with that post. You opted to be condescending by yourself with no prompting from me or anyone I can see.

As CAPar wrote - I’m not the one writing hogwash here.

Take some time out.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 18:09

I know this CV thing is just another stick to beat the board with when things aren`t going well but do folk really believe that seeking CVs from interested parties is likely to improve the chances of making a successful appointment of a football manager?

If you read stuff in the papers or autobiographies/biographies of people involved in football it`s pretty obvious a lot of appointments are made after sounding out others in the game about potential candidates. I`m sure Fergie has been instrumental in quite a few appointments. Although clubs are in competition with each other there seems to be a bit of back-scratching goes on when players and managers are on the move and people will know there is no point in being dishonest in their opinions because there are likely to be reprisals farther down the line if there is any suggestion of misleading anyone deliberately.

I`d be surprised if anyone was appointed without this process being observed in addition to an in-depth interview of a potential candidate. Even if CVs aren`t actively sought I`m sure clubs are inundated with them from interested parties or their agents as soon as a vacancy arises. The chance of an outstanding candidate only coming to the attention of a recruiting club via a CV seems remote.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 18:38

I actually think Ross openly admitting that out of the large number of job applications that did formally come in he chose to go and approach Grant direct, who he himself admitted had hardly any dealings with Ross before is a right kick in the teeth to those that did apply whether they were right for the job or not.

To then base him getting the job on his time with Alloa, who he got relegated and was commended for the way he set up and played in a 3-0 defeat….quite ironic that actually considering our league defeats to date.

Call me old fashioned, but I’d want a manager who was actually interested and applied over somebody who wasn’t going to apply because he felt he was bigger than that, it’s pure arrogance.

This isn’t the EPL where you have the option of bringing in a Mourinho, Benitez etc, those that are of a calibre where a CV isn’t necessary, this is Scottish Championship level football, one of the lower tier equivalents in England.

He then went on saying we want to win the league, that’s our target selling it that it was definitely possible, and so far he’s playing players out of position and whilst unconfirmed rumours already spreading about dressing room problems.

You can laugh all you like and make fun out of it, but like many others I paid over £300 on a season ticket and dedicate every second Saturday to EEP. Many contribute to the lifeline.

We want to see things done properly, Ross has done it bang on from a business perspective but from a footballing standpoint he’s not been hitting the mark.

Edit to pinch this quote on another thread from one of Grants interviews:

"I don`t believe in putting a CV in because, if I did, I would blow everybody else away anyway. I don`t mean that disrespectfully."

Get him away man.

Post Edited (Tue 31 Aug 19:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 19:28

If they appointed somebody who`d submitted a CV and he started with the same results as Grant has, no doubt the selection process would be questioned. Nobody wold say `That`s fine; at least they saw his CV`.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 19:34

My request to connect with Dick Campbell on LinkedIn is still pending. He's taking ages.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 20:11

Looking at PG’s managerial career or more like assistant manager career he’s only really lasted 1 year in each job or less……. Now if this was on an applicants CV it would bring up a concern where you would ask the candidate why they moved on year after year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 20:57

How do you know they didn`t ask him that? They could see his CV on the internet just like you did!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 11:37

Quote:

EEP, Tue 31 Aug 20:11

Looking at PG’s managerial career or more like assistant manager career he’s only really lasted 1 year in each job or less……. Now if this was on an applicants CV it would bring up a concern where you would ask the candidate why they moved on year after year.

But.... You were able to find this information yourself right?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 16:14

"Hey, Ross it's Lionel Messi here, I would like to finish my career by helping a club like yours. I dont need money I am happy to play for nothing."

"That's just dapper Lionel. Pop yer CV in the post and we will let you know."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 16:45

I find it baffling that Ross McCathur looked at his job history online and thought he looked good.

There's been no denying it, with regards to managerial appointments RM has been pretty awful. The PG appointment defies beleif, there was absolutely no logic to it and it's been to the surprise of absolutely no one that it's went the way it has.

There was a realistic chance of a title challenge this year, we will have one of the bigger budgets this year and we've utterly squandered it, that's on McCarthur.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 17:12

"we will have one of the bigger budgets this year and we've utterly squandered it"

Not a direct dig at you mate but every season that line gets trotted out and absolutely nobody presents any figures to back it up outside of attendances.

Nobody gives any consideration to factors such as parachute payments, favourable stadium deals such as the one ICT had, clubs running at a loss and incurring debt, teams potentially having higher stadium costs eating into budgets etc etc. I don't know why anyone was assuming we would make a title challenge just because there were perceived to be a few smaller teams in the league compared to other years. What is Kilmarnock's budget compared to ours? What is their revenue compared to ours and are they prepared to run at a loss to spend more than us?

With the exception of one season we have actually had year on year progress in terms of our final league position in the Championship which is hardly the catastrophic series of appointments folk on here claim it to be.

Post Edited (Wed 01 Sep 17:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 18:00

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 1 Sep 17:12
?

With the exception of one season we have actually had year on year progress in terms of our final league position in the Championship which is hardly the catastrophic series of appointments folk on here claim it to be.

Having scraped fourth, would we not then finish seventh and then fifth? That's not year on year progress, likewise us scraping fourth before being dumped out of the playoffs wasn't progress either from the originally mentioned season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 18:20

Quote:

Grant, Wed 01 Sep 16:45

I find it baffling that Ross McCathur looked at his job history online and thought he looked good.

There's been no denying it, with regards to managerial appointments RM has been pretty awful. The PG appointment defies beleif, there was absolutely no logic to it and it's been to the surprise of absolutely no one that it's went the way it has.

There was a realistic chance of a title challenge this year, we will have one of the bigger budgets this year and we've utterly squandered it, that's on McCarthur.

I actually thought this season was our biggest/best chance we’ve had of gaining promotion. Absolutely none of the teams in this league remotely worried me at the outset.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 18:40

Quote:

Grant, Wed 1 Sep 18:00

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 1 Sep 17:12
?

Having scraped fourth, would we not then finish seventh and then fifth? That's not year on year progress, likewise us scraping fourth before being dumped out of the playoffs wasn't progress either from the originally mentioned season.

Middle of the season AJ was sacked and SC started year on year progression again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 18:43

I must admit, I wasn’t fussed about giving AJ a two year contract, made sense to me, went through a bad patch yes, made the playoffs but just being at that game at Tannadice, loved the way we played that match and if McManus had scored that one on one we could’ve gone all the way.

Stability always good as well I thought. Clearly it was wrong decision now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 19:59

If we get a doing on Saturday in Elgin, will he get sacked up there and made to walk home. My son is going up for the game I am going to tell him not to give Grant a lift home

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 21:07

Quote:

Berry, Wed 1 Sep 18:43

I must admit, I wasn’t fussed about giving AJ a two year contract, made sense to me, went through a bad patch yes, made the playoffs but just being at that game at Tannadice, loved the way we played that match and if McManus had scored that one on one we could’ve gone all the way.

Exactly. Hindsight makes judgement calls like that way easier but a two year deal was fine. More than likely there wasn't too much downside to that decision either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 21:31

"Topic Originator: Berry like | nolike
Date: Wed 1 Sep 18:43

"went through a bad patch yes"

Signing Hippolyte, connolly, devine, durnan, muirhead, malaury martin etc was more than just a bad patch.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 21:49

Quote:

Berry, Wed 1 Sep 18:43

Nah not for me. For whatever reason our fans base set our sights right on the floor, talk of consolidation in our first season up was absolutely nuts, in the end poor squad building (centre midfield) led us to a fifth place finish, without ever really threatening the playoffs.

Next season comes and we get into the playoffs via a last minute header, I appreciate it all counts but context for me counts for allot in these decisions, we seemed to have decided that playoffs were success, which let's be honest, unless you come second your chances of promotion are miniscule! So having scraped into the most minimum of acceptable positions we then awarded that with a two year deal? Nah thats wrong, said so at the time the deal was far too generous considering AJ hadn't proved much, and with a big summer rebuild in the offing we were leaving ourselves open to a costly payout...

At best it should've been a one year deal. Once we then sacked him the decision to give the totally untested Crawford the reigns and not carry out any sort of recruitment policy was totally bonkers, we were due to play United the weekend after, however once that game was out the way we had a two week? Break, plenty time to not panic, see who was available, and go from there.

None the less we jumped two footed into that. By the end of Crawfords tenure it was abundantly clear his time should've been up, finishing fourth and going out the playoffs in the first round isn't a success if you've got any genuine hopes of getting promoted. However despite that Ross was happy to let Crawford continue?! Crawford resigned and we then head hunted the bloke who'd just got Alloa relegated?! What on earth has been the thought process since that night in Tannadice?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 21:59

Why on earth is consolidating your position after promotion nuts? Nobody set their expectations at the foot of the table but everyone realised it would be a difficult season and 5th wasn't a disgrace. What divine right do we have to promotion? We don't have more resources than every other club in the league. The board were also growing our revenue year on year off the park to try and allow us to invest more in the squad.

Interesting that you haven't gone through the budgets for each year and had a look at where we placed revenue wise.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 22:06

After being in league one for 3 years after coming out of administration, I'd say it was perfectly reasonable to consolidate our place in the Championship.

We've got a current manager who says he wants to win the league getting rightly slaughtered. We've also got a previous manager setting a target of consolidation as a target getting slaughtered by the same people. Mental

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 22:07

We had a far far better side then than we do now . The absolute dross that we have signed since then gives me nightmares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 22:14

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 1 Sep 21:59

Why on earth is consolidating your position after promotion nuts? .

Because teams who win the title in league 1 tend to do very well the following season, especially if they've won handsomely (which we did)
Who was the last side to win league one who was then relegated? Once you found that go and find the last full time side to win the 3rd tier to then be relegated the following season

Now once you've done that you'll realise why "consolidation" is a nonsense, we should have been aiming for the playoffs that first season. As it is we accept mediocrity and that's exactly what we get.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 22:21

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 1 Sep 22:06

After being in league one for 3 years after coming out of administration, I'd say it was perfectly reasonable to consolidate our place in the Championship.

We've got a current manager who says he wants to win the league getting rightly slaughtered. We've also got a previous manager setting a target of consolidation as a target getting slaughtered by the same people. Mental

People are rightly slaughtering Peter Grant because quite frankly we're a rabble.

Fwiw I don't remember AJ ever saying that consolidation was the aim, it was our fanbase who kept saying that. It's a bloody ten team league which on a good year had a turnover of nearly half of them, with players on short team contracts.

Talk of consolidation is a nonsense, if you do well then your best players are getting poached quick time, there's no season on season building you where you can build up a squads over the space of 4/5 years, if you're fortunate you'll get two. That's why budgets really do matter at this level, that's why our budget should really matter.

Spend it badly like we have this summer though and you'll get your just rewards, so incredibly frustrating. I doubt there's a team at this level who's fans are putting in more, and yet in return the footballing side of our club is a shambles.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 22:51

"Because teams who win the title in league 1 tend to do very well the following season, especially if they've won handsomely"

Let's look at the facts.

First League One season was 13/14

13/14 Rangers 39 points 14/15 3rd despite the fact they were spraffing money left right and center.
14/15 Morton 2 points 15/16 5th apparently unacceptable
15/16 Us 18 points 16/17 5th apparently unacceptable
16/17 Livi 19 points 17/18 promoted playoffs
17/18 Ayr 1 point 18/19 4th
18/19 Arbroath 7 points 19/20 6th
19/20 Raith 1 point 20/21 3rd
20/21 Partick points 21/23 tbc

So only Livi have gone up the season after they came up and no other side has finished higher than 3rd and no other side was promoted including Rangers who were racking up debt left right and center. The only other side to have been promoted after coming up from League 1 has been Rangers.

You can take it back to Division 2 to see how few progress from the 2nd tier to the top.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 23:15

Anyone trotting out the "year on year progress" line is missing the point.

The aim this year was a title challenge. The board, the manager, the players have all said that. If we continued the "year on year progress" under Stevie we'd have been challenging in about 3 years time. Our aim was to challenge now.

The thing about Grants appointment is that he was no Pars fans number 1 choice. Not 1. The board know more about the club than anyone, but the fans as a collective have a vast knowledge too. To appoint someone who no-one would consider number 1 is bold but ultimately inexplicable. Let's hope they realise this soon and sort it out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 23:19

I wish people would learn to use the words "in my opinion".

How does our budget compare with Hamilton, Killie or Inverness? Facts please not .net/P&B rambling guesswork

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Wed 01 Sep 23:20)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 23:29

Quote:

DBA, Wed 1 Sep 23:15

Anyone trotting out the "year on year progress" line is missing the point.

The aim this year was a title challenge. The board, the manager, the players have all said that. If we continued the "year on year progress" under Stevie we'd have been challenging in about 3 years time. Our aim was to challenge now.

The thing about Grants appointment is that he was no Pars fans number 1 choice. Not 1. The board know more about the club than anyone, but the fans as a collective have a vast knowledge too. To appoint someone who no-one would consider number 1 is bold but ultimately inexplicable. Let's hope they realise this soon and sort it out.

Anyone thinking the year on year progress is anything to do with season has spectacularly missed the point.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Sep 01:45

Has a manager ever been called out as quick as this (3 league games) ?
I think he’s performing very poorly as a manager and I wouldn’t have an issue with him leaving but it does worry me that we might be going down a dangerous road.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Sep 05:44

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 1 Sep 22:51

"Because teams who win the title in league 1 tend to do very well the following season, especially if they've won handsomely"

Let's look at the facts.

First League One season was 13/14

13/14 Rangers 39 points 14/15 3rd despite the fact they were spraffing money left right and center.
14/15 Morton 2 points 15/16 5th apparently unacceptable
15/16 Us 18 points 16/17 5th apparently unacceptable
16/17 Livi 19 points 17/18 promoted playoffs
17/18 Ayr 1 point 18/19 4th
18/19 Arbroath 7 points 19/20 6th
19/20 Raith 1 point 20/21 3rd
20/21 Partick points 21/23 tbc

So only Livi have gone up the season after they came up and no other side has finished higher than 3rd and no other side was promoted including Rangers who were racking up debt left right and center. The only other side to have been promoted after coming up from League 1 has been Rangers.

You can take it back to Division 2 to see how few progress from the 2nd tier to the top.

The facts being that the only team to not make the playoffs are a part time team, a team that won the league by two points and us?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Sep 19:51

Grant wrote:

>
Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 1 Sep 22:51
>
> "Because teams who win the title in league 1 tend to do
> very well the following season, especially if they've won
> handsomely"
>
> Let's look at the facts.
>
> First League One season was 13/14
>
> 13/14 Rangers 39 points 14/15 3rd despite the fact they were
> spraffing money left right and center.
> 14/15 Morton 2 points 15/16 5th apparently unacceptable
> 15/16 Us 18 points 16/17 5th apparently unacceptable
> 16/17 Livi 19 points 17/18 promoted playoffs
> 17/18 Ayr 1 point 18/19 4th
> 18/19 Arbroath 7 points 19/20 6th
> 19/20 Raith 1 point 20/21 3rd
> 20/21 Partick points 21/23 tbc
>
> So only Livi have gone up the season after they came up and no
> other side has finished higher than 3rd and no other side was
> promoted including Rangers who were racking up debt left right
> and center. The only other side to have been promoted after
> coming up from League 1 has been Rangers.
>
> You can take it back to Division 2 to see how few progress from
> the 2nd tier to the top.

>
> The facts being that the only team to not make the playoffs are
> a part time team, a team that won the league by two points and
> us?

Shush you with your logic and standards. Dont you know you should be thankful there’s still a club!?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net