DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Saturday afternoon fix
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 15:18

Did anyone take in another game yesterday?

I’d half a mind to go to Cove since it’s the only senior ground I haven’t visited but common sense prevailed and I took in the Scottish Cup preliminary round replay between Dalkeith Thistle and Burntisland Shipyard instead.

The clubs are mid- to lower mid-table in different conferences of the 1st Division of the East of Scotland league – so that’s tier 7 – and had drawn 1-1 last week at Burntisland.

Anyway, I thought it was a cracking cup-tie – it finished 3-3 but the Shippy went out 5-4 on penalties (no extra-time for some reason). They were a wee bit unlucky to be 2 down – good cross and header, and an undisputed penalty – when the match turned on a classic red card in the first half. There was an accidental (according to the ref) clash and the Dalkeith boy went down with blood streaming from a head wound. The physio took an eternity to come on and the Dalkeith boy decided to get some retribution and lamped the Shippy player, before going down injured again. I thought the referee did well to calm things down, helped by the physio taking several goes to bandage the wound, before showing the red card. Shippy had most of the ball in the second half, pulled one back before conceding another to trail 3-1 with half an hour to play, got it back to 3-3 but just could not find the winner. Not much Pars interest from what I could see – one of the Galloway twins came on as sub (and scored in the shoot-out, but I think it may have been Jordan, not Johnny). Ben Anthony looked the best player on the park. Dalkeith are away to the latest incarnation of Clydebank in the 1st round.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Saturday afternoon fix
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 15:21

Went to Aberdour vs kyles athletic... Aberdour got pumped 8 skud... But was actually more enjoyable than last week at eep and didn't cost me anything! 🤔

For anyone not travelling to Ayr on sep 11th... Aberdour week be playing Oban camanachd at silver Sands at 2:30pm

Post Edited (Sun 05 Sep 15:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 15:34

I thought that was a typo for `Aberlour` until I read `silver sands`! How come Aberdour has a shinty team?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 15:45

They've had one for years...

Aberdour primary had a shinty coach for a while (probably about 15 years ago) and everyone loved it so they set up the club.

A lot of that group played for Inverkeithing high school, who for a while were competing and beating a lot of the more traditional shinty high schools who im guessing became the adult team.

They've played competitively in the men's and women's leagues for years now

There's actually loads of shinty played outside the Highlands

Post Edited (Sun 05 Sep 15:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 15:46

Shinty in Fife
Although shinty has an historical presence in Fife, it has not tended to be a hotbed of the game in recent times. Jamieson records that the old name of shinty in Fife was “carrick”, and that it was “still used in the eastern part of that county” in 1825.

However, the sport was played in Glenrothes in the 1970s and early 1980s, in Dunfermline in the early 1990s and St. Andrews University has had a team made up of students since the late 1960s. However, Aberdour is the first club to take a longer term view of the sport in the Kingdom and have developed a strong junior setup to support the development of the senior team.

Founding of Aberdour Shinty Club
Aberdour Shinty Club (ASC) was established in 2001 as a junior side by local Sports Science student Lisa MacColl as part of a project at University. From there it blossomed and within a few years the club had successful teams playing at all levels from Under 10 to Under 17. The rapid rise of shinty in Aberdour did not slow down and very quickly the club would be entering teams into senior competitions.
Introducing a new sport like shinty to an area where it is not played is an almighty challenge and one that is usually doomed to failure. The existence of Aberdour Shinty Club is almost entirely down to the hard work and vision of Lisa MacColl. This club is also a prime example of shinty’s potential for expansion in the south of Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 15:50

You missed out one important factor... They play in black and white!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 21:00

Crossgates Primrose v Hill obeath Hawthorn at Humbug Park
Primrose 1 man down and 1-0 down at halftime, Primrose came back to win 4-1, Crossgates first win v Hill o beath .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 5 Sep 21:41

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Sun 5 Sep 15:18

Did anyone take in another game yesterday?

I’d half a mind to go to Cove since it’s the only senior ground I haven’t visited but common sense prevailed and I took in the Scottish Cup preliminary round replay between Dalkeith Thistle and Burntisland Shipyard instead.

The clubs are mid- to lower mid-table in different conferences of the 1st Division of the East of Scotland league – so that’s tier 7 – and had drawn 1-1 last week at Burntisland.

Anyway, I thought it was a cracking cup-tie – it finished 3-3 but the Shippy went out 5-4 on penalties (no extra-time for some reason). They were a wee bit unlucky to be 2 down – good cross and header, and an undisputed penalty – when the match turned on a classic red card in the first half. There was an accidental (according to the ref) clash and the Dalkeith boy went down with blood streaming from a head wound. The physio took an eternity to come on and the Dalkeith boy decided to get some retribution and lamped the Shippy player, before going down injured again. I thought the referee did well to calm things down, helped by the physio taking several goes to bandage the wound, before showing the red card. Shippy had most of the ball in the second half, pulled one back before conceding another to trail 3-1 with half an hour to play, got it back to 3-3 but just could not find the winner. Not much Pars interest from what I could see – one of the Galloway twins came on as sub (and scored in the shoot-out, but I think it may have been Jordan, not Johnny). Ben Anthony looked the best player on the park. Dalkeith are away to the latest incarnation of Clydebank in the 1st round.

I used to play with Ben, a really talented player who went to Alloa, sure he was playing an age range up at at the time he was making me look so utterly average.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nazpar  
Date:   Mon 6 Sep 01:03

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Sun 5 Sep 21:00

Crossgates Primrose v Hill obeath Hawthorn at Humbug Park
Primrose 1 man down and 1-0 down at halftime, Primrose came back to win 4-1, Crossgates first win v Hill o beath .

It's not Hill o Beath .it's Hill of Beath .just wanted to point that out cheers

nazpar
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 07:18

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5071470.stm

Found this on the BBC news about Aberdour Shinty.., I knew it started at Aberdour primary because not long after it went outside the primary, my middle one played for them for a while and went to a few tournaments / games with them.

Great thing BTW for anyone with younger kids who want a fast, fun way to get fit and play a team sport

Post Edited (Tue 07 Sep 07:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 17:44

First time ever crossgates beat the haws and beat them with 10 men brilliant game. Finn graham man of the match.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net