DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 World Cup Every 2 Years?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 18:20

It just won't go away.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/12401829/world-cup-fifa-set-to-reveal-more-details-on-holding-tournament-every-two-years

FIFA seem determined to push it through, can UEFA sabotage their plans?

Just pure greed.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: World Cup Every 2 Years?
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 19:54

Definitely smells of the international version of the European Super League, what’s the bets it has some ranking coefficient which will make it harder for the minnows like us to qualify!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 19:58

It’s always going to be hard for minnows to qualify! Seeding is designed so that the best teams will always get through

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 20:32

A little bit more on the format here: https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2021/arsene-wenger-lays-out-plans-for-world-cup-every-two-years/

Groups of four sounds like there would potentially only be one qualifier per group unless there was some sort of playoff or Nations League type approach to the draw although I'm sure Big Country's would look away at that proposal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 21:14

Yep. No Chance for us and the tournament would be Just A Shadow of what it is now. The winners would still be in Wonderland though....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 21:32

Europe will fight this as the top clubs and internationals are already over stretched, but African and Asian conferences will go for it ,all the more for them .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 22:05

Quote:

JTH123, Wed 8 Sep 21:14

Yep. No Chance for us and the tournament would be Just A Shadow of what it is now. The winners would still be in Wonderland though....

Nice!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 08:33

FIFA is obviously not happy that UEFA can earn more $ than it can, so this is just a blatant ploy to restore "natural order", to quote Craig Levein.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 09:17

By FIFA you mean the member confederations GG?
It could be argued that this is the poorer associations looking to get more money and it is being opposed by the richer associations who already have a nice little number going on and don`t want it disrupted to help those who are worse off.
This isn`t going to happen anyway. UEFA dominates FIFA. When the Suiss Sepp Blatter got forced out due to the corruption scandal who replaced him? His fellow countryman and UEFA head honcho, Gianni Infantino.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 10:07

Quite like the World Cup being every 4 years, makes the occasion more special having had to wait for it.

That being said during the off-season, it’s great knowing an international tournament is going to cover the void.

Money talks I suppose and will be the winner at the end of the day.

I don’t buy too much into over stretching footballers, they get paid an absolute fortune to do what they love and if anything it might help bring youth on in the domestic leagues with the bigger players needing rests.

My main worry is having it so regular will devalue it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 10:33

Quote:

Berry, Thu 9 Sep 10:07

My main worry is having it so regular will devalue it.

It absolutely would devalue it. Older fans will remember when Scottish football had two senior leagues. Each club played every other home and away once only. As Pars fans, it was a very special occasion when clubs like Hearts, Hibs, Celtic and Rangers visited EEP once a year, unless you drew them in the SC or League Cup. Now, you can end up facing the same opponents 6 or 7 times in one season, which takes away the novelty value.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 10:36

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 9 Sep 09:17

By FIFA you mean the member confederations GG?
It could be argued that this is the poorer associations looking to get more money and it is being opposed by the richer associations who already have a nice little number going on and don`t want it disrupted to help those who are worse off.
This isn`t going to happen anyway. UEFA dominates FIFA. When the Suiss Sepp Blatter got forced out due to the corruption scandal who replaced him? His fellow countryman and UEFA head honcho, Gianni Infantino.

I think FIFA sees itself as the overlord of all its member associations. Having UEFA bringing in more revenue than all the other associations put together, doesn't sit well with it at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 10:45

Not for me. Too much of a good thing. It will lose it`s aura.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 11:02

Fifa isn`t some sort entity separate from the confederations. Fifa is the confederations and one of them is uefa. The fact that uefa is by far the richest and most powerful confederation is great for the European (including us here in Scotland) but the other conferdations such as the CAF and CONCACAF are quite rightly looking at ways to increase their own revenue.
Obviously more world cups aren`t of any benefit to the affluent European associations who can already fill their boots with a very lucrative European championship sandwiched between world cups. I think its rather simplistic to just believe this is FIFA being greedy. Its being pushed by the poorer nations wanting more and the rich nations, perhaps rightly, saying nah we`re ok thanks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 12:45

The fact that the 2022 WC is in Qatar proves the corruption of FIFA. Holding a FIFA WC every 2 years will just exacerbate that corruption.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 18:21

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 9 Sep 11:02

Fifa isn`t some sort entity separate from the confederations. Fifa is the confederations and one of them is uefa. The fact that uefa is by far the richest and most powerful confederation is great for the European (including us here in Scotland) but the other conferdations such as the CAF and CONCACAF are quite rightly looking at ways to increase their own revenue.
Obviously more world cups aren`t of any benefit to the affluent European associations who can already fill their boots with a very lucrative European championship sandwiched between world cups. I think its rather simplistic to just believe this is FIFA being greedy. Its being pushed by the poorer nations wanting more and the rich nations, perhaps rightly, saying nah we`re ok thanks.

I wasn't meaning to suggest that FIFA is a completely separate entity, TOWK, but those at the very top like to think they are and will try to push their own agenda, even at the expense of some member confederations. Why else would Infantino and Ceferin be at loggerheads?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 22:31

Absolute nonsense. Leave it alone,4 years is perfect. It ain't broke.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 22:36

Must admit, ironic given we qualified through it but I really dislike the Nations League, just a way of giving other smaller nations the opportunity to qualify.

Call me old-fashioned but I’d rather countries qualified on merit, it’s becoming harder not to qualify for a major tournament which is equally devaluing it all for me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 05:50

Some more detail on FIFA`s proposal, with Arsene Wenger acting as their spokesman:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58506448

It`s likely all the confederations, apart from UEFA, will vote for it. What happens after that is anybody`s guess.....

Some kind of civil war isn`t out of the question.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 07:07

It`s more than Wenger acting as the spokeman. As he describes it in the article this is his `baby`.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 09:18

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Sep 07:07

It`s more than Wenger acting as the spokeman. As he describes it in the article this is his `baby`.

Wenger surely carries more credibility than Infantino and the FIFA President is smart enough to realise that and use him as his front man. It may be his "baby" but he may have been convinced of this by his employer.... 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 09:40

I don`t know GG. Wenger has never struck me as a man short of integrity. If he is promoting something, that he truly doesn`t believe is for the benefit of the game in general as he claims it is , well then he would go down in my estimation.
I really can`t see this proposal becoming a reality. The big leagues and rich European nations are against it. UEFA hoovers up huge sums of money with their European Championships every four years and a biannual World Cup would kill that off golden goose. Who`d care about being the best in Europe when one nation had just proved themselves the best on the planet the year before and everyone gets another chance at that title the next year?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 10:15

How about a rotation like this?

Year 1 - World Cup
Year 2 - Copa America/African Cup of Nations
Year 3 - Euros/Asian Cup
Year 1 - World Cup
Etc...

Maybe they know the alternate year thing is too much but are asking for it to hopefully agree a three year cycle?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 10:19

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Sep 09:40

I don`t know GG. Wenger has never struck me as a man short of integrity. If he is promoting something, that he truly doesn`t believe is for the benefit of the game in general as he claims it is , well then he would go down in my estimation.
I really can`t see this proposal becoming a reality. The big leagues and rich European nations are against it. UEFA hoovers up huge sums of money with their European Championships every four years and a biannual World Cup would kill that off golden goose. Who`d care about being the best in Europe when one nation had just proved themselves the best on the planet the year before and everyone gets another chance at that title the next year?

I didn't mean to suggest Wenger was mercenary so and so, TOWK. He may well be convinced of his "baby's" merits and he's probably been brought on board precisely because his ideas concur with those of Infantino, who reminds me of his predecessor, Sepp Blatter, of whom Brian Glanville once described as having "50 ideas a day - 51 of them bad".

I'm not as confident as you that UEFA can repulse all the other confederations put together. FIFA could expel the European nations from the WC altogether, so it may be that some kind of compromise will be hammered out. We'll find out soon enough.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 16:27

How do you run Euros if WC is bi-annual ?

Players in the higher ranking countries will effectively have no summer break.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 16:37

Would only be one summer out of every four when the top players wouldn`t be wither competing in a world cup or continental championship. So about 20 odd players from each qualifying nation. They would of course still get time off. The England players didn`t return to their clubs for pre season training until about four weeks after the Euro final against Italy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 17:07

The carrot for the clubs are smaller Qualification Groups (so less international games outwith the tournaments themselves) played in short fortnight or so long international breaks, more mid season breaks and less travelling for their players. I`m not a fan but I think this might have legs.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 23:37

Pep Guardiola lends his support to the idea.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 23:51

I've only read that article and nothing else so not sure if there's more I'm missing out on, but I don't see how doing it twice as often means there'll be fewer games.

Having qualification fortnights doesn't seem like a bad idea but there's no reason they can't do that with the current frequency of tournaments. None of the reasoning there leads to their conclusion - the qualification changes would be equally beneficial in the current format as the one they're proposing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 09:36

I cannot see this happening. I would have thought there was more chance of uefa doing a biannual tournament of some sort. I think this is just the FIFA bigwigs looking at the income of uefa and wanting a piece. As GG Riva has mentioned this is greedy men at the top of FIFA wanting a bit more power. It is just greed and jealousy. The big footballing nations don`t give a toss about the smaller one`s. The difference in Europe is after the super League fiasco the big nations realise they need the small one`s.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net