DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Chairman
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 16:41

With it now being accepted by every Pars fan I know that Grant should be gone, do we trust the current chairman to do anything resembling halfway competent and appoint a good manager? Since that playoff defeat at Tannadice he has consistently been the man in charge where time and time again we've got it utterly wrong, with each mistake getting more severe than the last.

If Grant does go, who should replace him? But more terrifying, who will McArthur appoint? With us no longer being a fan owned club I presume the fans don't have a say in who runs the club, but quite frankly I've lost all faith in the chairman.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Chairman
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 16:46

Ross should step immediately!!The ball is firmly at the new owners feet, action is needed tonight!!! Fans will make our voices heard.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 16:48

Get him to feck. Hasn’t got a spine.

This decision could cost us dearly.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 16:51

When we appointed Grant, McArthur seemed to be bragging that we ignored 80 applicants to headhunt the manager who had just finished well adrift at the bottom of the division. He (and the rest of the board) are quite clearly a large part of the issue here.

If Grant doesn’t go tonight, I’m afraid this board cannot be trusted at all. They need to accept that this experiment has been a complete failure and they have made a total mess of it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 17:02

Is he going to try and get the stewards to silence all Pars fans next week?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 17:05

Quote:

Par, Sat 11 Sep 17:02

Is he going to try and get the stewards to silence all Pars fans next week?

Don’t waste your hard earned cash - empty seats will concentrate the minds of the board.

Unfortunately ST holders don’t have that same option.

Post Edited (Sat 11 Sep 17:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 20:58

The Germans own the club now, not Ross McArthur and not the fans. With ownership comes accountability so there`s no point in simply directing criticism at the Chairman.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 21:07

Well said eck. Ross will be hurting as much as any of us

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 21:16

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Sat 11 Sep 21:07

Well said eck. Ross will be hurting as much as any of us

Maybe he deserves to be hurting more than the rest of us .
We didn't inflict PG on him after all .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 22:43

"The Germans own the club now, not Ross McArthur and not the fans. With ownership comes accountability so there`s no point in simply directing criticism at the Chairman."

Did the Germans focus on Grant as new manager ?

The buck stops at the chairman.

He was far too hasty in the making the appointment.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 23:50

The Germans endorsed PG`s appointment but I was really talking about the present. All the big decisions at the club are now down to the German owners.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 07:16

Getting fed up with this ‘Ross will be hurting crap’ to be honest, this comes out all the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 08:38

I have always intrigued by the statement on Grants appointment by the board that his team played " nice , good football " don,t know if Ross has noticed but
" nice" football to fans also has a winning element to it, unfortunately Mr Grants team does not have a winning mentality and certainly don,t play " nice football

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 09:03

McArthur took over as chairman in summer 2016, after we won promotion to the championship. So AJ was already in place. Let’s have a look at his big decisions.

Gave AJ a new 2 year deal, after an underwhelming season. This was questioned by a lot of fans at the time. 6 months into this 2 year deal, AJ was sacked, costing us a lot of money.

Once AJ was sacked, McArthur decided that it wasn’t worth actually inviting applications and handed the job to Crawford. Despite several poor runs of form and a lot of uninspiring football/management, he remained in the role for 2 and a half years, before eventually resigning.

After Crawford resigned, McArthur ignored/dismissed 80 applicants for this job, because ‘we’ would rather focus on a manager who had just finished rock bottom of the division and went down without a fight. Many people had criticised Grant’s attitude at Alloa, due to the fact that when things were going badly, he refused to change his style to get results and just let his team crash out of the league without any fight at all. But McArthur was still looking really smug/pleased with himself when he was explaining how well Grant’s sides played football and that he had dismissed everyone else, to headhunt this buffoon.

I really don’t understand why some of our fans are so blinkered here. McArthur has gotten so many big decisions wrong since taking over. All of the above has been there for everyone to see. There is no speculation/rumours in any of that. As chairman of a football club, responsibility for all of these decisions lies with him. The rest of the board also have to accept their share of the blame for the ineptitude of the big decisions as well, but ultimately the chairman is culpable.

Don’t start telling me that we’re lucky to have a club etc. With the right decision makers at the club, we’d have been challenging for promotion for the last 3/4 years, at the very least. Right now, we’ll be doing well to avoid league 1 football next season due to the mistakes the board have made. That’s more likely to cause more financial troubles than the board acknowledging their shortfalls/mistakes and taking steps to sort things out. They had a great opportunity in the summer to undertake a proper recruitment process, considering all of the applications and finding the right man. But they went about things in an embarrassingly concerning way. How on earth can people not see this? Why are people trying to suggest the chairman isn’t part of the problem here?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 09:40

The only way I could see the fans making it clear season ticket holder or not is to attend east end park on game day but not enter. That way the board know how many fans would have attended and that fans are the backbone of the club and concerns need to be heard whether it is privately owned or not. Fans need to vote with their feet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:16

That`s a pretty selective assessment of the board`s performance, par-91. It`s understandable that fans tend to judge things by results on the field but there`s a lot more to running a football club than choosing a manager. Even in that respect I`m not sure we know as much about the selection process as you imply. Stuff gets repeated so much on here that things get accepted as facts without real substantiation.

I agree with you that we`re not `lucky` to still have a football club. It wasn`t a matter of luck but the result of a lot of hard work by people to put together arrangements to ensure our survival and give the club some financial stability. The chairman and others were instrumental in achieving that. They also identified that the fans-owned model was not viable to develop the club as we all want, so they went out to identify alternative finance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:30

“ That`s a pretty selective assessment of the board`s performance, par-91. It`s understandable that fans tend to judge things by results on the field but there`s a lot more to running a football club than choosing a manager.”

Yes, imagine judging a football club by watching their football. How stupid of me, I thought football was important for a football club. The chairman said himself the goal was promotion, but employed a proven failure as manager.

Would you rather I went on about what former employees (including players and non-playing staff) have told me? I honestly know of a number of them who have said they will never return to the club, whilst McArthur is in charge, due to the way he speaks to/treats staff. However, I think the abysmal footballing decisions are enough to show that his stewardship has been very concerning, when it comes to the running of a football club. There is more to running a football club, than footballing decisions. But you can’t ignore the footballing side of things, which has been disastrous under McArthur.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:36

This might sound really shallow but all I'm interested in is the football results. If we are well run behind the scenes that's all very well and good but it really does count for nothing if you get pumped every Saturday.

The chairman is heading up a club that is failing miserably I'm afraid.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 12 Sep 10:36

This might sound really shallow but all I'm interested in is the football results. If we are well run behind the scenes that's all very well and good but it really does count for nothing if you get pumped every Saturday.

This, we didn’t fight to save the club just to be thankful to ‘survive’ every season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 12 Sep 10:36

Agreed, so much.

The better the stuff is behind the scenes, the better we're run, the more money we bring in etc, in the end it all matters for not a jot if we're not doing the footballing stuff well, we are a football club right?

Mccarthur will be judged on the footballing decisions he's made, and everytime there's been a big decision (from what I can remember) he's got it wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:47

I think you guys have got things the wrong way round. If the future of the club had not been secured then there would have been no results to discuss. I know some folk think it`s boring but unfortunately it`s true.

I don`t know Ross McArthur well enough to know what kind of guy he is but I`m not going to come to an opinion based on hearsay from anonymous people who could have an axe to grind for all I know.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:00

“ If the future of the club had not been secured then there would have been no results to discuss. I know some folk think it`s boring but unfortunately it`s true.”

We hadn’t posted a loss since admin, until he gave AJ a 2 year deal, after an underwhelming season and sacked him 6 months into that 2 year deal. He went with the cheap/easy option of appointing Crawford, rather than allowing anyone to apply. Which possibly cost us money. If we had finished in play off spots during Crawford’s years, there would be significantly more prize money for the club. Likewise, his decision to dismiss 80 applicants and headhunt Grant could result in league 1 football. Which would cost the club a hell of a lot of money. But because he helped save us before, we shouldn’t be concerned at the fact our finances are being negatively impacted by his terrible decisions now? Open your eyes. Decisions like this could kill the club.

Please stop acting as if his abysmal footballing decisions don’t have a bigger impact. Our main source of money comes from what happens on the pitch. McArthur and the board have to accept the blame for this. It’s not hard to understand. The footballing side is what a football club is judged on. If it’s poor, we do not get the money from gate receipts or prize money. I don’t care if people think he’s a nice guy. His spell as chairman has been very poor.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Toddyrov  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:06

What’s worrying is that theirs no communication to the fans now. In all honesty grant really should be gone by now and again we are just waiting around hoping the board call it quits with Grant. Some clarity would be nice because I’m at the point I care very little about watching Dunfermline under Grant.

Effe
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:09

Surely people are missing that the board have kept this club running following being financially destroyed. Even with a clean slate you still have overheads. They've presumably just had to fork out for the floodlights for example (the stadium is not owned by the club owners).

Whilst I agree that there is no doubt some fat to cut, each board member probably invests a lot into the club and has a lot of good contacts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:22

"I think you guys have got things the wrong way round. If the future of the club had not been secured then there would have been no results to discuss. I know some folk think it`s boring but unfortunately it`s true."

The league table is also true.

What`s boring is the "we would have no club" mantra - that`s history now, and a lot of people stepped up to the plate back then to save the day.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:25

So they are immune from criticism because they helped keep the club financially secure?

We’ve all to be content with this product we watch week in week out now and just be thankful our clubs still alive?

They come cap in hand most opportunities, use the lifeline, buy season tickets, it’s so so important, it definitely is, so top spurning the money on bringing a manager in who wasn’t interested enough to apply for the bloody job and let him bring in his players on multi-year deals.

This just doesn’t impact this season, we’re stuck with Dorrans, Mehmet, Graham. Delighted with Wighton, but he gets stuck on the bench.

If you don’t get the football right, fans will leave, stop investing, weekends are precious to many and I’m getting scunnered watching it.

Have you looked at the fixture list, we had arguably one of the easiest starts you could ask for to a season, not even faced what you would class as the harder games yet and we’re rock bottom.

We’ve well and truly cocked this up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:28

There needs to be respect that these guys saved the club and appear to have secured its future by attracting the new owners. However, I'd suggest Grant has been a poor appointment and they need to take that on the chin.

I don't think we can blame them for Crawford. He didn't do terribly and I imagine cost of paying off was an issue. The reason for bringing in the new owners was because we were skint and couldn't kick on.

Grant is an awful appointment. If he's not gone tomorrow then something is really wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:32

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 12 Sep 11:22

"I think you guys have got things the wrong way round. If the future of the club had not been secured then there would have been no results to discuss. I know some folk think it`s boring but unfortunately it`s true."

The league table is also true.

What`s boring is the "we would have no club" mantra - that`s history now, and a lot of people stepped up to the plate back then to save the day.

Exactly. I don't think there's a Pars fan alive who's ungrateful for the work these guys did rescuing the club. Similarly the investment in time and money they continue to put in on a day to day basis.

It will all count for very little if they pass up the best shot we have in years at promotion, worse still keep a manager at the helm who, make no mistake, will relegate us.

Attitudes like Ecks are holding us back now. 2013 is a long time ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:34

Never felt so far away from the club, ever. I don`t have a season ticket anymore, have had no intention of going to any games. However, I think I will attend next weekend if Grant is still in a job, not for football but just to see how hostile the atmosphere is within the ground.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:36

Quote:

par_33, Sun 12 Sep 11:34

Never felt so far away from the club, ever. I don`t have a season ticket anymore, have had no intention of going to any games. However, I think I will attend next weekend if Grant is still in a job, not for football but just to see how hostile the atmosphere is within the ground.

Would you not be better checking flight times to Kabul?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:37

“ Even with a clean slate you still have overheads. They`ve presumably just had to fork out for the floodlights for example (the stadium is not owned by the club owners).”

These all become a lot harder to pay, if they continue to make poor footballing decisions. Maximising prize money and hate receipts is the easiest way for us to have money to spend. The footballing decisions are 100% the most important decisions that have to be made. They have been getting these wrong for quite a while now and that is costing us money and making these bills harder to pay.

They may have helped save us 7/8 years ago. For that, I am grateful. But they are now holding us back, due to the fact they are not cut out to run a football club and are constantly making bad decisions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:41

I'm not convinced they're bad at running a football club. They're just pretty poor at the appointment of team managers. There doesn't seem to be any process, no awareness of who might apply, nothing.

I mean, can you imagine a set up like ours with someone like John McGlynn in charge?

Post Edited (Sun 12 Sep 11:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:03

`Attitudes like Ecks are holding us back now. 2013 is a long time ago.`

That`s a lot of responsibility to take! All I`d like to see on here is a bit of balance and credit given where it`s due and I`m not just referring to the Chairman.

FWIW, I think we`re close to the point of no return with PG. There comes a time when the whys and wherefores are irrelevant and poor results dictate that a change must be made. If it doesn`t happen this week another defeat next week will make it inevitable in my opinion. But as I`ve said before, that`s up to the German owners.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:07

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 12 Sep 12:03

`Attitudes like Ecks are holding us back now. 2013 is a long time ago.`

That`s a lot of responsibility to take! All I`d like to see on here is a bit of balance and credit given where it`s due and I`m not just referring to the Chairman.

FWIW, I think we`re close to the point of no return with PG. There comes a time when the whys and wherefores are irrelevant and poor results dictate that a change must be made. If it doesn`t happen this week another defeat next week will make it inevitable in my opinion. But as I`ve said before, that`s up to the German owners.

Apologies that was a bit harsh on you specifically Eck. What I was trying to say is that as a support we just can't keep being forever grateful without being able to be honest and critical when the need arises. Like now.

I remember a poster saying we had "50 minutes to save our season" after we conceded a goal against Arbroath a year ago. I still think posts like that are hysterical nonsense. This season is different.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:10

No problem, da no 1. We can all get a wee bit carried away on here from time to time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:17

Admittedly I might be looking too much into it, however our ex GM doesn't seem too complimentary about how the club is run on SM.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:21

Quote:

Grant, Sun 12 Sep 12:17

Admittedly I might be looking too much into it, however our ex GM doesn't seem too complimentary about how the club is run on SM.

Sorry Grant.....what's GM and SM?!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:27

Our ex general manager keeps describing what a mess the clubs in and said you couldn’t pay him enough to go back, and who would blame him? It’s an absolute mess

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:32

Attitudes like Ecks are holding us back now. 2013 is a long time ago.

2013 is a long time ago, but would you rather we playing In the championship with the club being run correctly or celebrating winning your 55th league title and reportedly running up debt that would put future of club in doubt again.

We know now(we knew when he was appointed)that Peter Grant was the wrong choice. But it is a lot harder to run a club correctly than it is to pile up debt and hope we get it right.

Grant has to go, but I don't blame RM as I believe it was the new owners who fast tracked Grants appointment.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:37

My memory`s not what it used to be but who is our `ex general manager`? I can`t even remember when we had one! Paul D`Mello?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Muppet Par  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:38

Chairman is incompetent and not capable of the job. Has to go ASAP along with clown features Grant

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:48

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 12 Sep 12:21

Quote:

SM? Is it like S&M? Explains a few things.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:53

What ex general manager? Not being arsey, really don`t know who`s being discussed here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 13:11

Quote:

fcda, Sun 12 Sep 12:48

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 12 Sep 12:21

Quote:

SM? Is it like S&M? Explains a few things.

Social media, truthfully, I've no idea why I've abbreviated that!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 15:41

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Staff_Changes_at_DAFC&ID=10780
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 15:55

Its not only the chairman but that of all board members who make the decisions
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 16:10

Thanks londonparsfan

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 16:37

You're welcome mate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 17:14

The board made an error giving AJ a 2 year contract according to some fans. We have no idea what the terms or negotiations behind that decision were. He did get us promotion and s playoff spot so, although it ultimately didn't work out it is a matter of opinion whether it was a bad decision at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh.
Given that it didn't work out and we had to appoint Crawford who was already on the books, it was a decision that restricted us but not worthy of the current cries of incompetence.
Crawford's appointment was not a bad decision, it was the only option at the time. Although his style of football was not appreciated by many, he achieved his target. I get why some wanted more but it was not a disastrous appointment by any means.

The Grant appointment is the only error worthy of the level of criticism being directed at the board now.

Hopefully they will deal with it swiftly.

You pay your money, you're entitled to your opinion, but there are a lot of people who couldnt run a tap let alone a business suggesting the chairman is incompetent and must go.

Aye OK.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 17:43

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 12 Sep 17:14

The board made an error giving AJ a 2 year contract according to some fans. We have no idea what the terms or negotiations behind that decision were. He did get us promotion and s playoff spot so, although it ultimately didn't work out it is a matter of opinion whether it was a bad decision at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh.
Given that it didn't work out and we had to appoint Crawford who was already on the books, it was a decision that restricted us but not worthy of the current cries of incompetence.
Crawford's appointment was not a bad decision, it was the only option at the time. Although his style of football was not appreciated by many, he achieved his target. I get why some wanted more but it was not a disastrous appointment by any means.

The Grant appointment is the only error worthy of the level of criticism being directed at the board now.

Hopefully they will deal with it swiftly.

You pay your money, you're entitlPARed to your opinion, but there are a lot of people who couldnt run a tap let alone a business suggesting the chairman is incompetent and must go.

Aye OK.

Spot on PARrot
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net