DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 When fans turn against their own players
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:23

I wasn`t at Ayr yesterday, but from what I can gather, there was a lot of anger among Pars fans, directed at the manager and the team as they left the field.

I don`t want to go into the rights and wrongs of this. I can understand the fans anger and frustration at the result and performance against modest opposition, but when that anger and frustration spills over as personal abuse, it`s not nice.

I`ve been privileged to work with many Pars players on school visits, as part of the club`s School Engagement Programme, since 2014 until it was suspended in March 2020, due to the pandemic. Before the end of each visit, pupils were given the opportunity to ask the visiting players football related questions. A popular one was "What is the worst thing about being a footballer?"

The top answers from many different players (and by a long way) were:-
1. being injured and
2. losing games.

Being injured edged out losing games because the injured player can`t influence the outcome of a game which isn`t going well.

This insight has helped me to control some of my emotions after a game. I can still feel sadness and disappointment and sometimes anger at the match officials, if they got a vital decision wrong, but I never wait until after the final whistle, to direct my anger at the players. I know that they will be every bit as disappointed as me.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: When fans turn against their own players
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:33

In every sport there are winners and losers. I think fans can accept losing if the players and manager give it their best shot. Apart from the first 15 mins against Raith, that doesn't seem to be the case? Of course it may be that players who got Covid haven't fully recovered, but then perhaps they shouldn't be in the first team just yet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:29

The performance yet again was a disgrace, if that was them giving it 100% yesterday then we are going down this season. First 2 goals are ayr players getting free shots unmarked in our box it’s absolutely pathetic stuff, yet again another waste of a Saturday trying to support the team. We need to sack Grant now or it’ll be another pumping on Saturday

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:41

GG, I know beyond any doubt that you’re a reasonable, loyal supporter who is rightly respected on this forum, however I would offer a couple of points :

“, but I never wait until after the final whistle, to direct my anger at the players. “

This reads as though you actually direct anger at players before the final whistle (not your intention I know 😀)

“I know that they will be every bit as disappointed as me.”

You’ll have a tough job selling this line of argument to Pars fans right now. Players who care to that degree and wear their heart on their sleeve are a relatively rare breed - and I’d say very rare in the squad we have at present.

We do know feelings are running high though when decent fans are willing a thrashing in the hope that this will be the tipping point in convincing the board to remove Peter Grant. This is a view gaining wider traction amongst our fans and the board must listen to this with a sense of urgency. It’s really insidious and can’t go on.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 13:37

Quote:

parfection, Sun 12 Sep 12:41

GG, I know beyond any doubt that you’re a reasonable, loyal supporter who is rightly respected on this forum, however I would offer a couple of points :

“, but I never wait until after the final whistle, to direct my anger at the players. “

This reads as though you actually direct anger at players before the final whistle (not your intention I know 😀)

You’ll have a tough job selling this line of argument to Pars fans right now. Players who care to that degree and wear their heart on their sleeve are a relatively rare breed - and I’d say very rare in the squad we have at present.

We do know feelings are running high though when decent fans are willing a thrashing in the hope that this will be the tipping point in convincing the board to remove Peter Grant. This is a view gaining wider traction amongst our fans and the board must listen to this with a sense of urgency. It’s really insidious and can’t go on.

🤣😂 I'm usually on my way down to the exit when the final whistle goes and outside the stadium by the time the players are off the pitch when we get beat - it's getting to be a far too regular occurrence, right now. ☹

On the other point, I stand by it - footballers are a very competitive breed. They absolutely hate losing games. I think the main difference between them and fans is that players get over their disappointment much quicker. They can't afford to dwell too long on it. Any player will tell you a poor result/performance can spoil their weekend but, come Monday morning, they're conditioned to look ahead to the next game and the chance to redeem themselves.

Thanks for the kind words, too. Very humbling. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 13:47

Should this thread not be titled "When players turn against their own fans "

"footballers are a very competitive breed" - Ours aren`t at the moment

What`s the purpose of the thread, to tell everyone how mild mannered you are or to lecture those that are directing their anger pitchside ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 14:03

Quote:

parfection, Sun 12 Sep 12:41

This is exactly what yogi has been vilified for. At this level, these guys aren’t arsed because they know they’ll be on the championship/league 1 merry go round in the summer. I’d argue Players on a one year deal at Dunfermline couldn’t give a toss what happens to the pars.. whether we finish 10th, 8th or 4th is irrelevant because they’ll probably be released anyway. There’s a difference between not liking losing games and being absolutely fuming coming off the park knowing you’ve left nothing on the pitch and it wasn’t enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:54

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 12 Sep 13:47

Should this thread not be titled "When players turn against their own fans "

"footballers are a very competitive breed" - Ours aren`t at the moment

What`s the purpose of the thread, to tell everyone how mild mannered you are or to lecture those that are directing their anger pitchside ?

If the incident you're alluding to is accurate, then Dorrans didn't so much turn against his own fans, but reacted to the personal abuse he was getting. Of course he should have been more professional, as an experienced player and team captain and bit his tongue. I don't condone what he did but it will have been just as hard for him not to rise to the provocation as it was for the fans who could not contain their anger after another inept performance. I can imagine that Dorrans and his team mates were already angry and frustrated at their own performance and the last thing they needed was a group of angry fans telling them how gash they had been.

Professional footballers are highly competitive - any player who isn't won't get far. I think there are other factors at play here and one of them is that their confidence as a team is extremely fragile. If they don't believe they can win a game - they won't.

I wasn't intending to lecture anyone when I started this thread, nor was I giving anyone a clue as to my character, just expressing an opinion that hurling abuse at your team after a game is a futile exercise and is highly unlikely to have the desired effect which is presumably that the players will produce an improved performance in the next game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 20:18

I agree GG Riva. I fully understand the frustration with the performances, but venting the frustration that becomes abusive is really counter productive. Personally I think its not acceptable from either players or fans. The situation seems to fast becoming toxic and that is not a good outcome for anyone.

We are where we are at the moment, we have the players we have and have to try and get the best performance from them as possible. The real discussion is how best to achieve that. I got the impression from PGs interview that he acknowledged there was an issue with some of the players because they were not getting a game. How best to address any morale issue in the team that is down to the manager to resolve. At this stage, I personally would not be calling for PG to resign as I do not have the detail on the issues and can only speculate. I would imagine that he has a limited time to sort it out, but I am sure he is well aware of that. Who would be a football manager....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 20:56

IMO the players aren’t just reacting to abuse. It’s that they feel they aren’t the right target. Quite a few have shown they don’t back the manager.

FWIW abuse to players isn’t likely to improve their performance, but we as fans must make a stand. How else are we to express our anger at performances and general arrogance coming from management when we’re not being listened too?

We’ve had bad spells before, but rarely is such a gap between fans and club been allowed to establish.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net