DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The squad
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 10:40

I wonder if some of us are underestimating the size of the issue at the club just now, especially with our current playing squad.

Grant must go, of that for me there is no doubt.

But I think whoever replaces him has some real issues in the squad that need addressed at a transfer window.

Goalkeeper - both are weak and prone to errors - neither I would suggest are good enough at this level

Full backs - Comrie decent, Edwards has ups and downs, MacDonald- still undecided

Centre backs - are any of them really competent at this level now? Watson would seem to have the most pedigree in Scotland but hasn’t taken a lead at all. He’s 30 now, so isn’t going to improve. As for the rest….unproven at best

Midfield - Dorrans is done, Pybus ineffective, Cole - not a good start….

Wingers/Wide/Up front - Kennedy clearly a talent if fit. Dow up to speed will mostly do well for us. As for the rest, if you think about it, there isn’t much there that is proven at a good standard consistently. Thomas on a good day is unplayable but we all know that’s rare, wighton has been a ghost, OHara hasn’t kicked on as hoped, Todorov I just don’t see the fuss tbh.

I have a real genuine worry, that even if we punt Grant (and that shouldn’t be an if, but considering the testicle juggling that goes on at board level over football performance let’s be honest), we actually don’t have the players to really push on. We will be lucky to avoid relegation/playoffs with that squad.

Somebody convince me otherwise….? 😱

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The squad
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:25

What length deals are Mehmet, Graham and Dorran's on? I'd be keen to let them all go. Perhaps they could be put out on loan?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:36

Quote:

jake89, Sun 12 Sep 11:25

What length deals are Mehmet, Graham and Dorran's on? I'd be keen to let them all go. Perhaps they could be put out on loan?

Graham is on loan from United. The other 2 are signed til 2023

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:36

Looking at the squad, Comrie, Edwards, Thomas, Dow and O`Hara are the only players I think are half decent. Of course Kennedy too, but he ain`t ours.

However, I want to see more of big Vytas.

Bet McManus is down in Wales right now laughing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:44

Goalkeeper -

Mehmet - As bad as any goalie I`ve seen
OFW - Poor goalie, but seems to the lesser of two evils.

I`d go with OFW as i have seen him do some solid goalkeeping for us, ive seen none from Mehmet

Full backs -

Comrie - good but will have lost confidence this season.

Martin - Should be main left back when and if stays fit.

McDonald/Edwards - Exciting players, but raw and unpolished. Need a better manager than Grant to bring them on. Back up players to Comrie/Martin in my eyes with need to develop them. This season could ruin them as things stand.

Centre backs

Graham - So far looks out of depth and shot of confidence. Feel for him in a way, but not good enough

Watson - Def good enough, proven this before last year and with Dundee utd. But i dont think he is happy and underperforming or used badly

Vytas - Not done much for me so far, looked to me like a non nonsense defender while Grant wants a foorballer. Feel he could be useful with the right manager

Breen - Not played so unknown

Jones - Unknown..How did he do yesterday. My guess is not great?

Midfield - Dorrans - Too old and past it to play in a two, may be useful in a midfield 3, but games passing him by. Manager signed him, wrong player for the system. Have a degree of sympathy for him for this reason.

Allan - Started season well from what i heard and never started again. He may have been played because of the shortage of midfielders at the time, but he has been sidelined through no fault of his own. Hope we see more of him.

Cole - Feel unknown but he doesn`t excite me

Pybus - A bit unknown, but had chances and offered nothing. Almost definitely not good enough

Wilson - Would improve midfield, but he isnt a world beater.

Wingers

Dow - Injury prone but an important player for us

Kennedy - A bit like Macdonald/Edwards, but has ability and hope will get game time.

Thomas - Got the quality, has he got the attitude? He has been used poorly this season. Hauled off at 2 down v partick, brought on at 2-0 down v Arbroath in centre mid. Been badly handled so i get any frustration he has

Strikers

Not gonna split them, they all are fine for this level. all capable of hitting double figures.

Overall i retain a bit of optimism in the squad as a whole, but goalkeeper and central midfielder are weakest areas and i dont see anything major changing there tbh, hence my suggestion of a 3 in there to have more bodies if nothing else to control the game and protect the defenders.

We just dont have the manager to do it, i fully believe the right manager can move us in the right direction by being less stubborn, using the best players in the right ways more regularly and getting some much needed stability and confidence in the defence/centre mid.

We will be stuck with a useless goalie though in spite of this, no new manager can change that unless signing a new one. Hope change comes soon, i think defence and attack can succeed still with the right manager and system, but they will regress if things stay the same

Post Edited (Sun 12 Sep 11:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:51

That`s the worrying thing. If Grant goes someone is going to have some job clearing up his mess. Grant`s signings have been shocking and nowhere near good enough for this club. Even if we somehow managed to fluke promotion, I can`t think of any of our players that would be capable of playing at spl level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:55

Quote:

Alan, Sun 12 Sep 11:51

That`s the worrying thing. If Grant goes someone is going to have some job clearing up his mess. Grant`s signings have been shocking and nowhere near good enough for this club. Even if we somehow managed to fluke promotion, I can`t think of any of our players that would be capable of playing at spl level.

Do you mean fluke staying up?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 11:57

At least we could send Graham back and Mehmet could be benched. Dorran's may improve under a different manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:08

If I remember correctly, before the league fixtures started there were quite a few fans who thought we would be in contention with the squad we had.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:08

Quote:

jake89, Sun 12 Sep 11:57

At least we could send Graham back and Mehmet could be benched. Dorran's may improve under a different manager.

They'll ALL improve under a different management team

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 12:24

Our central midfield options and goalkeepers are actually quite poor.

If we get rid of this muppet the hope is the new man can get this group at least solid and grind out results just to stem the tide a bit. In an ideal scenario, Petrie gets the job and he is well backed in January to get replacements for some of the sh*te Grant has brought on board (Mehmet, Dorrans, Cole, Pybus) I think we are sorted elsewhere, but those positions are a real worry. Manager is hopeless, 100% should be gone, but some of the players are nowhere near good enough.

Petrie is just wishful thinking, but I’d take lots of unemployed Scottish managers ahead of this clown every day of the week.

Post Edited (Sun 12 Sep 12:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 16:27

"If I remember correctly, before the league fixtures started there were quite a few fans who thought we would be in contention with the squad we had."

Not entirely wrong, although I think most observers felt that we were lacking at least one defensive midfielder, assumed Pybus would be a squad player at best and that Mehmet wouldn`t have been the bombscare he`s been for us. Had we signed a defensive midfielder, played a system that suited our players and perhaps not wasted a lot of our budget on Dorrans (who most were on the fence with at best) then I`d say we had probably one of the best squads in the division.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 19:22

Not been impressed with any of Grant`s signings except from Kennedy.

The team Stevie put together was decent, usually well organised at the back but lacked a central midfield and creativity normally relied on individuals (usually Thomas or Wighton) having great games. Stevie was capable of getting us mid-table but we just needed someone else in to take us to the next level.

Apart from Murray, I think all the defence are still here. The problem was never the defensive organisation or the defenders themselves. PG has managed to make that a problem while not solving any of the issues that Stevie`s team had (in fact so far making them worse). So I reckon any half-decent new manager would at least be able to get us back to how we were last season with the players we have

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: purekozma  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 19:50

I agree with others observations so far with the squad, for years I have no idea how our scouting works or if they just watch agent videos and bring players in for a trial. McNamara surely had some influence to bring players names to contention during Crawford`s reign and his signings pleased me.

On the pitch this season the spine of the team is weak to start with, we actually need a player like a Peter Grant type. The Keeper , Centre Halfs, Centre Midfield are either wobbly or ghosts and it aint getting better game by game.

Our fullbacks were good last season, I`d be partnering up Vitas and Breen on the training pitch now with a no-nonsense approach gameplan every time in defence if they get a chance.

Midfield is an area I have little to suggest just haven`t seen anything concrete with play so far, fitness and pace also vastly different to other teams here but why? Wilson Dow Allan Todd Reece Pybus Dorrans No idea of a combination but would pick a three midfield with one of either Kennedy/Thomas to fight it out for a 60mins wing start 30mins sub part both vital to team to provide crosses to either Todorov/Wighton or Ohara

My formation choice 4-4-1-1

Forwards should be pairing up and working on simple routines know each others preference for runs into box, replace duo Thomas-Murray success with Thomas/Kennedy-Todorov/Wighton shouldn`t be too hard to attempt again.

Square pegs round holes, we`ve done our homework on the opposition to exploit the weaknesses, we don`t worry about them but let them worry about us. Cliche time

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 19:59

Breen hasn`t featured at all. Could that be Covid-related? Wilson hasn`t featured since before last season`s play-offs. I thought he was nearing match fitness a few weeks ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 20:08

Iain Wilson is a bizarre one. He would come straight in and improve that midfield but from what seems like a minor injury he has now been put for 3 or 4 months now.

Grant's signings so far have been poor. Mehmet and Graham in particular are absolutely out of their depth. Todorov has looked OK in spells and Kennedy should come good.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: purekozma  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 20:17

Says it all when I consider players not seen playing at all this season, what a f@kup

Post Edited (Sun 12 Sep 20:18)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net