DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 If the Board were to be replaced
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:13

Some posters on here have suggested that one answer to DAFC's current problems is to replace some or all of the current Board members. This is not a post in defence of the Board members or their track record - my own view is that collectively they have been and still are hugely positive for the club but we will all have different views, depending on our different perspectives.

We must recognise reality. Any major decisions will be taken (or at the very least approved) by the members of the DAFC Fußball GmbH (DFG) consortium who own the football club.

If DFG decide to remove from office some or all of the Board members, then the high-level work which the Board currently do for no reward will still have to be done by someone, only for a salary plus overheads.

For example, new people would have to manage the functions of Finance & Budgets, Personnel, Building & Estate, Hospitality, Law & Regulation, and several other areas, including a new role of Managing Director.

Perhaps the decision-making would improve, perhaps not - but it would be hugely more expensive than the current arrangements, and enormously disruptive at this time. It would have a disastrous effect on DAFC budgets and therefore available cash for players/managers. And there would be no saving on blazers as the directors pay for them anyway, IIRC!

Presumably the DFG business plan is to retain the current arrangements, and trust the current Board members to look after DFG's investment as well as performing high-level management work for nothing. As long as results on the pitch are not disastrous that makes sense. It also depends on the continued willingness of people to keep doing work for nothing, when the club is owned by people with no DAFC background.

I don't have an easy quick-fix answer to the current problems, I wish I did.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: If the Board were to be replaced
Topic Originator: Super Johnnie  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:30

A reasonable, measured and accurate post, in my opinion. The current Board should be thanked and praised, not vilified. Any strategic plan worthy of the name needs to be strong enough to withstand short term problems. As outsiders, none of us really know if the current difficulties are due to the coach, the players, the tactics, recruitment, Covid, Brexit or any number of other factors. But if I`ve learnt anything in six decades (debatable), it is this: always have a Plan B.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:33

No one can pretend the current situation is anything but dire in relation to the results and performances in the league. We are sitting rock bottom of the table, when the stated aim was to challenge for promotion.

Like you, Stanza, I don't think sacking the BoD is going to improve things on the pitch and if anything, could make the situation worse for the very reasons you list in the OP. It is therefore incumbent on the club's owners to make changes elsewhere if results and performances don't improve very soon, but for all we know, they may already have made a decision in that regard.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:39

enlightenment me what is plan A

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 20:10

The board in my opinion are hopefully doing what they need to be doing, and that is investigating and looking at the big picture.

Most people on here talk with their heart about the club, which is absolutely fine BUT their maybe more going on than is known outside the club. In this way I would expect the board to investigate what has gone wrong, talk to PG, talk to a few players separately to find out what is really going wrong before having a meeting with the board to discuss the findings and the way forward.

Personally, I do think Grant now has to go and if the rumours are to be believed that he has lost the dressing room possibly because of a “bad egg” or two then those people will have to go too to try and raise morale. It doesn’t matter who it is, if they are undermining the manager and coaching staff they cannot be allowed to stay either. However this is all conjecture.

So I would hope that the board are looking at the management and coaching team along with the dressing room to get to the bottom of what’s going wrong and depending on the issues they would have to look carefully at the new manager, because whoever steps into the breach will inherit a lot of problems that they MUST be able to solve or else the same will happen again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 21:04

People forget that they weren't shy about getting rid of a bad egg last season. Top player or not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: forever black and white  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 21:30

I don`t think sacking the BOD is an option but a shake up wouldn`t be out the question.
Mistakes have been made with manager appointments and the atmosphere at the club at the moment is rotten. It`s not the club I started supporting many years ago .
Something needs to change.
The BOD have done a great job up till now with saving the club but it may be time for a shake up at the top along with the manager.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 21:41

It's not so deep as getting rid of everyone on the board or sack the board just don't ever allow Ross McArthur to get anywhere near the managerial appointment process ever again.

The last two appointments have been coronations, not open competitions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 21:51

Last year they had a manager who wanted rid of the "bad egg"
This year the manager is a rotten egg.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 21:59

Think about it this way.

Currently we don't spend anything on those services, however what we then have to deal with is utter incompetence when it comes to footballing decision, all that money your saving for the budget is then wasted because the board is giving the budget to the wrong guy.

We need to be more professional as a club, if that means the playing budget takes a hit, but in return we then run the club better and get better value for money then we're better off. Just like the manager position I'd have a look around, see who would be good, anyone with previous experience etc?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 22:08

Inertia will see ticket numbers continue to decline.

2900 souls attended the Arbroath game, including 200 away fans. So our support was 2700.

2018-19 our season tickets exceeded 3000 and our average attendance over 4500.

1000 fans have gone - at £10 net average profit per head. £10k by 18 games - up to £180k purely on attendance due to the continued lack of ambition and perceived poor performance of the club overall.

The board simply have to act, and communicate too! Quick enough to have a dig at our fans in the past, hella slow to react to poor performance on the pitch and the off pitch decisions that have caused it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 22:34

Quote:

elvis_lives, Sun 12 Sep 21:41

It's not so deep as getting rid of everyone on the board or sack the board just don't ever allow Ross McArthur to get anywhere near the managerial appointment process ever again.

The last two appointments have been coronations, not open competitions.

Agreed 100%

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 22:36

Parsman1885, it's not that simple. Many of us couldn't wait to get back inside EEP. But many have decided that they don't feel safe to enter due to covid. Or some might take the option to watch matches online for £12 rather than pay £20 to enter.

Until you know ppv figures

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: forever black and white  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 22:41

Unfortunately due to bad decisions at the club in recent years fans are now asking themselves what there getting for £20 .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 22:46

I have immense respect for the board, what they did to save the club demands that, they are deserving of their place in history.

However if their watching the same matches as the rest of us and refusing to listen to the fans they need to go. As much as the off field actions in development of fan involvement in the lady few years is be congratulated,

if the decision is to be bow failed arrogant manager then why’d

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 01:07

Roman numeral dude, I’d agree if I hadn’t seen the attendances at other clubs being straight back to where they were pre covid, and in some cases seeing an increase in numbers. Genuinely don’t think there are that many staying away, say 2%? I would suggest that the PPV figures are extremely low outside of the usual ex-pats who buy it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 09:38

“As long as results on the pitch are not disastrous that makes sense”.

That’s the problem. Maybe after just 4 games not quite “disastrous” yet but heading to that point rapidly and next two home games crucial. The board can do a good and crucial job on everything else but the majority judgement always going to be on results and struggling at championship level never going to cut it…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 09:59

Boards evolve, we have 3 new members from the German (majority) shareholder collective, perhaps we will see some other changes to the board & club management soon that is driven by these new board members

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net