DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 SPFL Review
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 21:37

I know we Pars fans have probably got plenty of concerns a bit closer to home, but what do folks think about this announcement?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58565111

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: SPFL Review
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 21:49

Good news as far as I can tell. About bloody time and hopefully leads to more investment. Not convinced by those in charge of football in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 21:49

I would imagine there is a big market for our football, but really it’s all about old firm teams in US and Australia especially, without them our football isn’t marketable outside of the UK. We definitely under estimate this, that game is one of the most watched games but undervalued.
There is plenty other fans of Scottish teams in each of these countries but not enough to Justify tv cash.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 22:14

It might through up some interesting things. But I’m concerned about some of the clubs involved in the commission. Independent doesn’t always mean unbiased, and if these clubs are paying them they are obviously hoping their views will be backed up by the report.

Both hibs and hearts have recently argued for kicking teams out the spfl. Nelms at Dundee is a nut job and Aberdeen have a history of bad ideas(it’s entirely there fault 11-1 was retained on the spl as an example. Dundee United are losing money ridiculously quick.

Remember the last independent review (by Kenny macaskill for the SFA) produced a report filled with absolutely horrendous suggestions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 22:20

Who's Kenny macaskill ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 22:24

Quote:

Tenruh, Tue 14 Sep 22:20

Who's Kenny macaskill ?

The Alba MP?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 07:07

I think it was Henry McLeish, ex-- Labour FM and once of East Fife FC
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 07:58

They can come up with all the good ideas they want, nothing will get through the 11/1 Voting system.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 08:07

I wondered at the significance of the five clubs who have commissioned the review. They obviously see themselves as "big clubs" in a Scottish context. They want to increase revenue into the SPFL and not hoover up even more of the existing income - all very laudable.

Why are Celtic and Rangers not involved? Is this significant? Are the Not So Big Five hoping to twist the arms of the Big Two, to get a bigger slice of a Bigger Cake if it comes to pass? And will the smaller provincial clubs merely get a few coppers from any revenue increase? That would pay lip service to the promise they`ve given that "a rising tide lifts all ships", or am I just a cynical auld git?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 08:17

Would anyone genuinely involve Rangers in a discussion about money?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 08:19

Strategic plans are all very useful if the people remain focussed on that strategic goal of increasing revenues. However the devil is always in the detail and if they fail Doncaster is in a job for life. Personally I do not believe the people involved have the clear tactical plan to deliver this and neither does Doncaster.
If we turn back the clock just over a year we can remember how delusional some individuals became when events of COVID came along. These are the same people who wish to almost double revenues. Ok then…….
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ghostrider  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 08:49

So a new "think tank" has been set up to get more cash into SPFL - they state "improved revenues will help produce "better, more technically gifted players", to compete in Europe and for Scotland".

What a lot of TOSH........it`s proper coaching and giving the younger players opportunities that produces better players NOT more cash to bring in more imports

not picking on Rangers specifically but they just show the issue where the last few weeks only the goalie was Scottish, every outfield player including the subs were imports of some description. As one of the teams with money, this to me highlights exactly what will happen

I believe one of the real reasons for this is the fear of failure -- the pressure on the managers is so great due to the number of teams in the top league the managers can not gamble on the kids as any defeat is far to costly.

So rather than looking for more cash, they should be looking to increase the league sizes - play each other twice only and this would hopefully encourage some of the "big" teams to give younger players an opportunity to play.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 09:23

Quote:

jake89, Wed 15 Sep 08:17

More so Dundee - twice in administration.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 10:01

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 15 Sep 09:23

Quote:

jake89, Wed 15 Sep 08:17

More so Dundee - twice in administration.

At least Dundee weren't liquidated.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Wed 15 Sep 10:04

Agree with some of what you said Ghost rider but more investment would prove to be better for developing players. Our youth system in Scotland is pretty poor now as most go to old firm which I have heard from former youth players isn`t that great at all.
The lack of investment in the league and the unfair way it is distributed needs to be challenged as with the ludicrous 11-1 voting system. The financial costs have risen and first port of call for cut backs seems to be youth squads. Most teams had a u21`s and youth leagues at all levels.

I would have been happier if it was done by SPFL and not just sanctioned by them on behalf of 5 clubs. It will be interesting to see what comes back. Hopefully larger leagues and playing 2 x a season rather than what we have.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 11:16

Quote:

ghostrider, Wed 15 Sep 08:49

So a new "think tank" has been set up to get more cash into SPFL - they state "improved revenues will help produce "better, more technically gifted players", to compete in Europe and for Scotland".

What a lot of TOSH........it`s proper coaching and giving the younger players opportunities that produces better players NOT more cash to bring in more imports

not picking on Rangers specifically but they just show the issue where the last few weeks only the goalie was Scottish, every outfield player including the subs were imports of some description. As one of the teams with money, this to me highlights exactly what will happen

I believe one of the real reasons for this is the fear of failure -- the pressure on the managers is so great due to the number of teams in the top league the managers can not gamble on the kids as any defeat is far to costly.

So rather than looking for more cash, they should be looking to increase the league sizes - play each other twice only and this would hopefully encourage some of the "big" teams to give younger players an opportunity to play.

I totally agree
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 13:13

You`re not that old, GG...

I would share your cynicism. These things seem to crop up with some degree of regularity (Ernie Walker, Henry McLeish) and I forget what, if anything, they recommended.

The interesting point is Celtic and Rangers are excluded. I suspect that there is a widely held view that all the major problems in Scottish problem could be solved if Celtic and Rangers were more successful in Europe. My prejudice is they are often the problem, not the solution.

I note also the allusion to a "rising tide". I fear reconstruction discussions tend to focus on delivering a larger slice of the cake to particular clubs (and hence a smaller share to the diddy clubs - a diddy club being any club smaller than yours) rather than getting a bigger cake.

At least Deloitte are professionals and have half a chance of delivering a decent report - but the key might be what their brief is.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net