DAFC.net
Home 17 January 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Better
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 16:57

Better formation better tactics better player selection and better player attitude. Fingers crossed we push on from here.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Better
Topic Originator: TurinPar  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 16:59

Absolutely!

The substitutions worked for us too today.

Post Edited (Sat 18 Sep 17:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 16:59

scoring goals is still a problem.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:03

Better result and a clean sheet. Who knew dropping a couple of players who were selling goals every game would have made a difference! That back 4 today will have trusted each as they are all players inherited from previous regime when we were okay defensively.

If it’s 442 going forward to try and get some points on the board we’ll need more in the centre of the park.

Next week feels like a bit of a must win now, hopefully not a false dawn.

Post Edited (Sat 18 Sep 17:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:03

We’ll done to PG. After all,if he’s responsible for a loss of points then surely he is logically responsible for gaining points? Against the current best side in the championship too. Good on him 😏

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TurinPar  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:07

I agree with the General, PG changed it in the second half and we improved dramatically as a result.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:09

Completely agree, due to work I`m one of the lucky ones, and haven`t seen as much as I wanted, today had Parstv, so saw the second half ( which I will do for the rest of the season) good shape, and were the better team. Takes guts not to fold.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:12

Thomas and wighton must start next week

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:13

Thought we played well, kudos to OFW with the double save in the first half, if that went in it could’ve been so different.

That’s another fixture that Todorov had a header couple of yards away from the goal and blown it. Too often to be unlucky, he needs to get that sorted.

Good to see the mass walkout was also a huge success.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:16

Quote:

pacifist, Sat 18 Sep 16:59

scoring goals is still a problem.

Baby steps lol.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:18

Played much better. If the forwards could finish we’d have won that comfortably.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:21

Think he actuality made too good a connection on the header...

Much better today, gave an idea of how we can perform and where we should be if we continue in that vein (looked like two even teams and defo not top vs bottom)

Glad everyone showed their appreciation at the end as well
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:21

Quote:

TurinPar, Sat 18 Sep 17:07

I agree with the General, PG changed it in the second half and we improved dramatically as a result.

To be fair to him you have to give credit for us being more offensively minded second half. Up against a team with such a good record when we've been shipping goals he would have to start cautiously and take it from there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:22

Looked like a team today , with better finishing we would have won, the back four looked pretty comfortable , think Dom on the left and Kai on the right may be a better option , well done Pars , we have hope . COYP

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:26

Thomas and Kennedy very frustrating again. Always looking to come inside and clip it to the back post rather than putting it across the face of goal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:34

100% Bamba daft, I was hoping Thomas and Kennedy would swap wings for the lest 15 minutes. Over all happy with the way we played

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:38

Agreed, better, we competed with the side who are top of the league and who dropped their first points today. Need to build on this now however
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:39

Better late than never might be a better title. The formation played today and most of the players selected are what 90% of the people on here have been shouting for since we were slaughtered at Ibrox. What took Grant so long to work out what was obvious to so many?

If today takes negative pressure of Grant and the players it might be a turning point. Here`s hoping. But we are still bottom of the league, the only side in it not to win a match, and have not scored in our last three games. Had Granted acted earlier then today`s match could have been more of a battle to see who topped the league rather us attempting to get off the bottom of it.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:47

Decided at the last minute to go .
Glad I did , much better and I was happy to applaud the team off the park today .
Something to build on hopefully .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:50

`have not scored in our last three games.`
Apology for the false information.
If we have stopped leaking goals at the back then the forwards can get a lift from that.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:52

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Sat 18 Sep 17:34

100% Bamba daft, I was hoping Thomas and Kennedy would swap wings for the lest 15 minutes. Over all happy with the way we played

Said exactly the same thing to my daughter. Thomas a wee bit too predictable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:52

With the players we have, that formation suits us. Dorrans had some good wee touches, keeping it simple, probably need someone in there to do his running for him though. Pybus was good at stopping ICT playing, but didn't offer much going forward and Reece Cole looked more capable of producing a good through ball when he came on-would be good to see him in there with Dorrans going forward. Wighton should play up front whenever he is fit. If he gets a run in the team he will get goals.
Agree with the previous posters, looks like Thomas on the right wants to cut inside on to his left foot, while Kennedy on the left wants to cut inside on to his right foot. Inverted wingers are okay but I'd like to see them switched and see them free to run for the goal line and get some crosses in. It's like having two poor man's Cardles.

Anyway, a solid performance against the strongest side in the division, good effort by the players, and superb backing by the fans as well

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:55

The thought of Cole and Dorrans in a 4-4-2 gives me the fear. Just no

Wighton is the best striker we have

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Sat 18 Sep 17:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 17:57

Todorov has missed so many chances like that. I think the problem is he just goes for total power but inevitably just batters the ball against the keeper, who is probably unaware he has actually saved it.
If he could keep a level of power but just divert it past the keeper I think he would have much more success.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 18:01

I thought we were good today but there is better on the way. Looked really solid & both Edwards + Comrie were excellent back in more conventional roles. We have the players - today Wighton comes on & changes the game, O’Hara gets hooked at HT not having his best game. Swap Kai & Dom so they cross on their natural foot & IMO we have a decent forward line.

PG - 4-4-2 & play people in their correct positions it not rocket science.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 18:25

100% better Pars, we’ll done. Now let’s kick on!

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 18:49

It looked to me as if the players were told to cut out the fancy stuff in our defensive third and simply clear their lines. It was frustrating at times but it paid off with a clean sheet. We made enough chances to suggest that, if we continue to keep it tight at the back, we`ll pick up points. I must say I prefer 4-4-2 as it gives us more options down the flanks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 18:50

Wighton's a strange one. He has plenty ability, holds ball up reasonably well and has decent movement off the ball.

When he comes off the bench he usually livens things up and has a positive impact and i often think "he should start next week based on that"......then when he does start he often looks like a totally different player.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:12

kind of agree with TAFKA but whether Wighton starts or not, the one thing that is sure is you cant start Todorov and O`Hara together.

talk about the system, it was the same as it was against Arbroath with every player in their "correct" position but the biggest difference today was not throwing one in our own net early on then the crowd turn, confidence drops, mistakes increase etc. goals change games and at the other end you cannot keep missing the chances we have, Todorov again the biggest culprit, not even sure he had to head that one today.

its a building block into next week which hopefully will see the first league win.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skid Chicane  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:20

I actually thought Todorov had a good game. Gave us an option with the high ball through the centre. Did well to win the ball for the runner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:24

Much better performance today. Inverness are a decent team so a clean sheet and a decent performance is a step in the right direction. It could have been 3 each, i found it a really decent game today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:30

Players put in the effort today, Dorrans had his best game so far.

I was convinced that PG had lost the dressing room (what ever that means), but tonight I am not too sure.

Onwards and upwards…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:31

Todorov worked very hard and won more than his fair share of high balls, he should have about 4 goals already this season with the sitters he’s missed though. The header today and the one against Arbroath were ridiculous, if you’re bottom of the league you can’t afford to miss them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:42

How did our big defender play? Just glad to see him getting a game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skid Chicane  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:44

Was mildly amusing/frustrating after the rebound from the Todorov miss, him trying to get any part of his anatomy to make contact with the ball
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 19:46

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 20:02

Much better indeed today. After such poor form, the main thing was to be able to compete and we managed to do that quite effectively. I also happened to enjoy the game and found it exciting when it got stretched in the second half. It would have been sore had we lost a late goal but even had we done so I`d still have clapped them off at full-time because we simply played much better as a team today.

I wouldn`t say we set up the same as against Arbroath. Although both were 4-4-2, today`s was a more conventional type while against Arbroath one of the wide players was usually trying to push up to make 3 up front.

A couple of dodgy moments at the back, but thankfully we got a wee bit of luck today and got away with them. Certainly we avoided the absolute calamities that have hurt us so much in previous games. Well done indeed to the keeper for a very good first save then a pretty good second save during a spell when Inverness looked like they might get on top in the first half.

The problem with an open 4-4-2 is that for it to work, it needs both of the two in midfield to play well and particularly to play well defensively. Both did today. Dorrans had by far his best game for us and broke things up nicely and Pybus did fine too. There`s something I quite like about Dan Pybus and, regardless of how much he`s been slagged for what he`s done elsewhere, I`d find it difficult to drop him at the moment. From who we have available, it really has to be those two as no other combination looks workable. Changing it late in the game was fine though. If either of them are having a poor game then that system will be unforgiving and would need to be adjusted.

A bit frustrating in attack today. Todorov might have been a bit unlucky with the header as to me it looked that he had to dive from so far away that it would be difficult to control, and it was one where he just had to get as good a contact as he could. Wighton probably did as much as he could as he had to hit it without ever really having it under control. Kai Kennedy was quite annoying and was a bit lucky twice in the first half when he was fannying about in the wrong area of the pitch. Could also have done with just getting the ball in a few times instead of trying to do it all himself.

Todorov and O`Hara up front didn`t work at all. Both looked well off it in the first half but the different pairing in the second half looked much better. Not really sure why, maybe just that both were having poor games.

Overall, while it wasn`t the best a Pars team has ever played, it was much better than we`ve seen recently and by far the best we`ve played in the league this season. Obviously we still need to win soon, but the way we played today gives some hope that it might not be too far away and there are definitely some positive things that can be said about how we played, which is a nice change.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 20:22

Thirty years ago I used to look forward to getting the pink paper (remember that) for some Saturday night football analysis. Now I just wait for Socks. Pretty sure I should be paying you a subscription fee mate!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 20:28

The big difference for me compared to the previous home games was the sheer amount of hard graft the players put in. They hunted in small packs to regain the ball and did that very effectively. Yes Kennedy dribbled himself into a corner at times but did manage to penetrate their defence and if he had shot himself instead of passing in the first half, he might have scored.

We really looked like we wanted to win the game and almost believed we could. A bit more belief and we would have. Keep the defence tight and get the forwards scoring and we might get on a roll. I`m now actually looking forward to the next game.

Post Edited (Sat 18 Sep 20:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 20:33

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 21:09

We could easily have won today with the chances we had but the most important thing was getting a clean sheet! We desperately need confidence at the back and then we can build from there.
Next up on the agenda would be to get Todorov scoring these 2 yard headers he keeps putting straight at the keeper. I definitely wouldn’t drop him though, feel that although his first touch is sometimes poor he offers an aerial presence and does get some good flick ons. We just need the second striker to learn where to run to pick up the second ball and I’m afraid O’hara just doesn’t seem it, wighton seemed to have much greater anticipation for where the ball would drop.
Also, to comment on the wingers today, I agree with Socks that Kennedy has the ability but was really frustrating today and kept trying to do too much. I felt the same with Dom when he came on too. Sometimes it’s just best to make a short pass or cross it rather than trying to take it past 5 guys.
Our central midfield was decent today, Dorrans was really good I thought. Got stuck in a lot more particularly as the game went on and played a few nice passes to keep us moving forward. Pybus was okay, granted I feel he has the footballing brain about what he should be doing but at times is too slow and ends up giving away a foul where a quicker player would win the ball in a good position.
What an improvement in the full backs though! They looked so much more comfortable and knew what they were doing, much more like last season from Comrie.
I would hope to see the same team next week with Wighton starting instead of O’hara.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 22:07

Really enjoyed the game today and credit to PG for recognising that the 3-5-2, " let`s play like Pep" approach wasn`t working. Players rolled their sleeves up, won their individual battles and " earned the right to play" as the cliche goes. We were much more direct, call it long ball if you want, but it caused ICT more problems and lead to a far more exciting spectator experience than the pretentious and laborious passing game I witnessed vs Partick a month ago.

I sat closer to the pitch today than I normally do and I felt that the effort from the players was palpable. Looks like Grant has at last resorted to an uncomplicated set-up, an uncomplicated playing style and put square pegs into square holes.

Post Edited (Sat 18 Sep 22:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 22:51

Quote:

EEP, Sat 18 Sep 19:46

Playing players in their natural positions worked……. How many pars fans have been saying this for weeks.
Wighton needs to start alongside Toderov. Our 2 CM’s won the ball and didn’t give Caley any time which was good.
PG has got himself a bit of time but I would question it was his team selection today or has there been a bit of behind the scenes questioning going on?
Imo PG would not have put that team out today…. Anyway a massive difference and well done… onwards and upwards!

That's unfair EEP, it is one thing to criticise PG, but it's wrong to say that when we got a decent display that the Gaffer didn't pick the side

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 00:58

Quote:

EEP, Sat 18 Sep 20:33

Sorry to be the party pooper but how has PG changed his tactics so dramatically over 1 week?

#newdirectorthathasaclue
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 07:31

He probably listened to the advice of the fans on this forum.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 07:55

A smart man knows when to listen.

Whatever the source.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 10:39

Defence must not be changed and we better keep this solid back 4, if he changes it to bring in Jones/Graham then I really wouldn’t be suprided

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 10:52

PG said Graham was available but didn`t make the squad so he seems to have dropped down the pecking order. Breen will be another option when he becomes available.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 10:56

I posted this on another thread, but is probably more relevant on this one.

"I try not to get too despondent when performances and results are poor, although that`s been difficult recently. Similarly, I don`t let myself get carried away after one good performance, but it does provide a reason to look at the next game with optimism."

Had I opened this thread, I would probably have titled it Much Better and gone against my better judgement. :-)

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 12:57

Much better yesterday, we should have won really.

Grant and the wider football management team must have discussed recent performances and realised a change was needed and it did work.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: summeragent  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 13:12

Think PG should have spotted earlier that Mehmet and Graham were a bomb scare and giving away goals!

Hopefully we can move forward and get back into challenging for playoffs but we need to start winning all our home games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 14:43

He signed them, so it’s natural that he would have given them more time to come good, than if they were players that were already at the club

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 19 Sep 14:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 19:16

Much better indeed, there is more to come as well as all of the wingers and forwards can do better.

Only change for next week is Wighton for O`Hara or Todorov - those two as a combination is not working and neither of them held up the ball effectively. Wighton likes to drop off the centre backs to get on the ball, something I think would also help Dow and Kennedy combine with. I`d go for O`Hara and tell him to play on the shoulder all game and look to get in behind, to create more space for Wighton, Kennedy & Doe. Although if we feel it`s going to be more scrappy then it needs to be Todorov making a nuisance of himself up there, then O`Hara to come off the bench.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 19:40

We`ve got three good striking options who all offer something different. Wighton made a difference when he came on and probably did enough to merit a start next week but he`s started games in the past and not contributed much.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 19:47

Wighton and Todorov for me , Todorov won a lot of balls on Saturday and Ohara, s first touch is brutal

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 20:29

O'Hara was awful yesterday. Time for a change. Wighton is a far superior player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net