DAFC.net
Home 22 October 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Yogi Hughes
Topic Originator: stevemac  
Date:   Sat 2 Oct 23:50

So many appear to want him as our next manager.
Have to ask why?
Imo he`s failed for years now.
Why such a favourite?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Yogi Hughes
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 2 Oct 23:55

If he was that good he would already be managing a top club !
I too don't get why folk would want him here !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 03:47

Took over a team last season bottom of the league and kept them up, exact same situation we find ourselfs in

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 06:13

Also took a team in our league down via the play offs losing to a Brechin side who then didn`t win a game the entire season, alienating the players to such an extent that they picked a player he never picked as the players player of the season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 06:49

Quote:

stevemac, Sat 02 Oct 23:50

So many appear to want him as our next manager.
Have to ask why?
Imo he`s failed for years now.
Why such a favourite?

How has he failed for years? He literally succeeded last season. He’d be a good appointment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 08:06

Got Falkirk to a cup final. Won the Scottish cup with Inverness. Aye what a total failure. Let’s just get Petrie in or something, eh?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRJ1986  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 08:32

As Zod said, don’t see that CV as failure. The Raith team he inherited was an utter shambles and that’s 1 job from several that hasn’t worked out. The potential the Pars have is huge, can’t see Yogi not interested in the role. Yogi has no cost attached to him & has a proven pedigree in Scottish football. Honestly who else do people want?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 08:44

Quote:

General Zod, Sun 03 Oct 08:06

Got Falkirk to a cup final. Won the Scottish cup with Inverness. Aye what a total failure. Let’s just get Petrie in or something, eh?

What would be wrong with Petrie? You don’t get experience without getting given the opportunity. He’s done really well with Montrose.

One could argue this isn’t the right time, I’d probably agree it may be too big of a risk but can see the argument for him, he’d come in and his objective will be avoiding relegation/securing mid-table, very possible with this squad and less pressure on him of fans expecting promotion from the get go.

He then gets the time to build his own team, settle in and have a good chance the season after. Whoever comes in post PG needs to be given the time to sort this mess out so it’s important that for PG’s successor we have longevity in mind, not a quick fix.

Don’t have anything against Yogi either to be honest although have never though his ‘face fitted’ at a club like ours as bad as it sounds, thought that about PG as well mind you.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 08:59

Hughes is very hit or miss. Seems to be either a success or a complete and utter disaster. He would be a gamble, but so is every appointment. Nobody is a guarantee of success. Would he be an upgrade on Grant? Almost certainly. Yogi has experienced success as a manager and Grant has only ever experienced failure. Therefore, I’d argue he is less of a gamble. However, that’s not a guarantee of success and there would almost certainly be players frozen out and looking to leave. He is someone that will get rid of anyone who isn’t ready to play his way and give 100%. Maybe that’s what some of our players need, but maybe that would upset some of our better players. Who knows.

Petrie is another suggested. He has done very well at Montrose. But he has also never managed a full time side, or a side at this level. However, there are many examples of managers taking a step up and still being successful. If he wanted the job, I would see it as a fairly ambitious appointment.

If we went for someone like Brian Rice or Gary Caldwell, they would be poor appointments and I think a lot of fans would struggle to get behind them/the board. However, a few wins and that would change.

The reality is, nobody on here really knows who is available, who would/wouldn’t want the job, or who would be a good fit. But we haven’t accepted that responsibility of running a football club. Those on the board, particularly the chairman, accepted these roles and knew the responsibilities that came with it. They’ve made quite a few mistakes on the footballing side in the last 5 years or so and are under a lot of pressure to get things right this time. Otherwise, they certainly have to leave. They have not filled me with confidence, but I would be delighted if they got things right and helped to turn our fortunes around.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 09:01

I don't know who's available that I would like to see get the managers job when it becomes available .
In my ideal world I'd like a Jim Jeffrey's type character , someone to steady the ship temporarily and maybe keep us in the championship .
Then hopefully if his health has improved , and he wants back into football, I'd try to move heaven and earth to tempt John Robertson down here .
Can only hope eh , but there's not much else left just now .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 09:44

Personally what we need now is to get someone who will steady the ship. When I heard how Grant shouted at his on players on the Alloa stream I was disgusted, when we heard how he spoke to the referee when we played Alloa at Dunfermline it was dreadful (This was later taken down) and hearing from the father of a young Alloa player again his language was disgusting. Yes we can all swear but not all of the time. I knew that his CV was weak, and that he never lasted long at any job. We need an interim manager until we have carried out interviews for a new permanent manager. Perhaps the interim one could be a German board member.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:15

I don't understand the fascination with Hughes either for some people. At this moment in time though he's a much better option than the fraud we currently have as manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:19

I don’t understand the Petrie angle. I would go for Hughes personally. Priority is to get shot of Grant. Then we will see.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:20

Not sure Hughes would be interested? His stock is relatively high after doing a decent job at Ross county? Also his rovers stint would worry me, we are in a similar situation with a similar state of a squad, if he was to come in hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:32

The crazy thing is anyone feels like an improvement.

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:39

We need a strong manager like Yogi but also a manager like Petrie so why not have both as manager and assistant manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:47

Quote:

kba, Sun 3 Oct 10:39

We need a strong manager like Yogi but also a manager like Petrie so why not have both as manager and assistant manager.

I doubt Petrie would be daft enough to take the job. Yogi might be.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:58

Quote:

General Zod, Sun 3 Oct 08:06

Stephen Kenny got us to a cup final, Jim McIntyre won a league cup with County...

The Ross County job was the first time Hughes had taken over a team and left them in a better place since he was Falkirk manager all those years ago, the job he done with Inverness was weird. You'd expect him to be an utter hero up there but he's not, it's very much accepted that the team that won the cup was the team Butcher built, and that Yogi Hughes then proceeded to make the squad worse, while being much more expensive.

My worry with Hughes is that he doesn't build success over years, because his squad building is so poor.

He's very much a slightly better Peter Grant, talks a good game, talks about having a style of play but that is often to the determent of his teams. Does anyone remember him being Livi manager and him insisting on his keeper passing it short even though the defenders were marked? Was some laugh. He completely nuked at Raith because he was insistent on them playing a brand of football the players simply weren't capable, he took them down against the worst team to ever play at this level!

Would he be an upgrade on Grant? Yes, however that's not exactly hard, could we please set the bar higher?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:59

Quote:

rikaka, Sun 3 Oct 10:20

Not sure Hughes would be interested? His stock is relatively high after doing a decent job at Ross county? .

His stock is relatively low, hence why he's struggled to get a job, hence why even after that job with County they didn't want him to stay because they're fully aware he wouldn't be a long term success.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 11:03

Or perhaps the agreement was to the end of the season ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimDAFC  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 11:05

If Mr. Grant is gone then the job must be advertised and all applicants must be gone through and the considered best ones interviewed by the whole board and a final decision must be made by the whole board, even if it takes them a month or more. If a certain Mr. Campbell applies I would think he would be on the final list of interviewees. I know a lot of fans would not agree and that he would be a step backwards but is that not a rather shall we say snobbish attitude. Bye the way was Dick Campbell not sacked from the job when we were top or second top of the league ? at the time. Can I ask another question but what happened to Mr. Yorkston as the last I heard he was diagnosed with a cancer, is he OK now hope he managed to beat that nasty opponent.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 11:45

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 3 Oct 11:03

Or perhaps the agreement was to the end of the season ?

And you reckon John Hughes, who's job prior to that seen him sacked from a championship club, walked away from Ross County?

Ross County got what they needed from John Hughes but they don't reckon he's the man to lead the club over a prolonged period. It's quite good management of the club by there chairman really.

Just like Grant, Hughes has a massive opinion of himself so hopefully he'll be waiting out on the Dundee job.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Oct 11:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 11:57

Yogi confirmed on Open Goal he was happy to stay but the chairman wanted to go in a different direction

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 12:17

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 3 Oct 10:47

Quote:

I would like to see Petrie at the club, his coaching looks to make a team enjoyable to watch as well as being able to do what's needed win games too. I would also like to see dick Campbell as manager once again strong with player but also he gets the best out of players every time, but I think he would only be short term to sort things out and get us going in the right direction again. Just my opinion but who ever it is MUST be a big person and MUST be able to get the best out of the players we have at our disposal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 13:54

Like I've said on here before, common business sense says that you would invite applications, review them, draw up a list to interview etc etc.
But this is a different kind of business and personally I don't care how they select the manager as long as it ends up successful. It could be by reading tea leaves or involve a Ouija board for all I care.
Whoever it is will get my full support.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Oct 13:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 16:21

Quote:

kba, Sun 3 Oct 12:17

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 3 Oct 10:47

Quote:

I would like to see Petrie at the club, his coaching looks to make a team enjoyable to watch as well as being able to do what's needed win games too. I would also like to see dick Campbell as manager once again strong with player but also he gets the best out of players every time, but I think he would only be short term to sort things out and get us going in the right direction again. Just my opinion but who ever it is MUST be a big person and MUST be able to get the best out of the players we have at our disposal.

This is exactly why Dick would be mad to take the job. Short term is what it would be. Why would he give up what he has now for a short stint followed by toxic opinions and another sad departure at EEP.
I cant see it.
Why would you expect anyone to give up a job that he is doing well for a short term anywhere?

Post Edited (Sun 03 Oct 16:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 17:21

After seeing Dick Campbell at the Arbroath game he would certainly qualify as a "big" person!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 17:26

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 3 Oct 17:21

After seeing Dick Campbell at the Arbroath game he would certainly qualify as a "big" person!

🤣🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 18:24

If I was Dick I wouldn't take it.

He's got a job at Arbroath until he retires, it's pretty much his football club and he can fully enjoy taking them from the bottom of league two, upto the championship. Fair f**** to him.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net