DAFC.net
Home 22 October 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Energy Efficiency
Topic Originator: gopars  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 09:59

Listening to Off the Ball yesterday they mentioned how football clubs consume large amounts of energy via floodlights, ground maintenance and general health and safety lighting etc. Why hasn`t a club like the Pars installed solar panels on top of the stands or a small wind turbine in one of the corners to offset this and contribute to net zero by 2030? It must make sense that the ground is largely redundant power wise for a week at a time so they could be feeding into the grid and reducing costs.

Cut me do I not bleed black and white.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Energy Efficiency
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:02

Quote:

gopars, Sun 3 Oct 09:59

Listening to Off the Ball yesterday they mentioned how football clubs consume large amounts of energy via floodlights, ground maintenance and general health and safety lighting etc. Why hasn`t a club like the Pars installed solar panels on top of the stands or a small wind turbine in one of the corners to offset this and contribute to net zero by 2030? It must make sense that the ground is largely redundant power wise for a week at a time so they could be feeding into the grid and reducing costs.

In a word "money".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:03

There are loads of solar panels and wind turbines along the north Forth coast so I imagine there's even a sponsorship opportunity with a company that fits them?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 10:17

The energy generating wind sector has had a nightmare few months simply because the wind has largely stopped blowing over the North Sea. The UK has went from providing 25% of it electricity from wind turbines down to 7% and gas and even coal burning power stations have had to have been fired up to cover the shortfall. That`s part of the reason the price of gas has spiked recently.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 11:04

They have just installed new LED floodlights which will reduce the power consumption by at least 55-60%

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimDAFC  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 11:09

Or alternatively they could just kick off the matches at 1.30 pm or 2.00 pm on a Saturday like the amateurs do and save themselves a bit of money.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 18:57

The problem is that panels produce power when the sun is out and you put floodlights on when there is little or low light and panels are hardly producing. You therefore would need enough battery storage capacity to power floodlights and batteries are the really expensive part of any solar system. Prices are coming down but they are still very expensive. Similarly a wind turbine requires wind and if putting on a match you want guaranteed power. Don’t live in UK and so not sure what if anything would get paid back for feeding in surplus energy to the grid when panels are producing. That could possibly partially offset running costs?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Oct 19:45

An easy way of saving energy and money would be to kick games off at 1pm. That way the lights could be off for most of the game. I have both Solar PV and Solar Thermal panels on my house. The PV ones make a couple of thousand KWH per year. I did try to find out about putting a windmill up, the Energy Savings Trust told me that my house was not in a windy enough position to make it worthwhile. As you have probably thought I'm one of the Green people, I've even bought an Electric Car!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net