DAFC.net
Home 22 October 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Newcastle
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 17:34

Take over confirmed😊

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Newcastle
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 17:55

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Thu 7 Oct 17:34

Take over confirmed😊

I have a Toon supporting pal who'll be getting smashed tonight. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 18:01

Just heard on the radio that if you add up the wealth of the top 10 teams in the world they still aren’t as rich as Newcastle are now. I’m looking forward to seeing how this pans out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 18:15

Wow , that's serious money.

Mon the Mags

Why did it take 5 years for this deal to go through? Surely if Ashley wanted 20m or 30m
More that would be pennies to new owners

Post Edited (Thu 07 Oct 18:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 18:15

That`ll be Steve Bruce looking for a new job then

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 19:28

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Thu 7 Oct 18:15

Mon the Mags

Why did it take 5 years for this deal to go through? Surely if Ashley wanted 20m or 30m

There were hoops to jump through for the 'fit and proper' owner tests amid concerns around saudi human rights I think. I suspect some of the complaints from fellow EPL clubs are actually self preservation rather than genuine concern for their fellow man.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ashley tried to negotiate a deal to keep the branding of Newcastle as 'sports direct' or around shirt supply going forward rather than worrying about a one off 20-30m.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 19:39

Sportswahing of the highest order.

Should make the EPL more interesting though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 20:36

TV deal in the Middle East was part of the hold up

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 20:41

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 7 Oct 19:39

Sportswahing of the highest order.

Should make the EPL more interesting though.

Anyone that sponsors a club in the PL is essentially doing the same thing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 20:48

Cheers guys

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 21:46

It`s win-win for the Newcastle fans.
They have got rid of Ashley, and if Bruce doesn`t up his game then the new owner will just have him strangled and dismembered.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 21:54

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 22:31

Out the pan and into the fire. Will definitely boost NUFC but not convinced I'd be comfortable with the backgrounds of these owners in the slightest.

Rumours of Gerard coming in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 23:21

Shows how shallow football fans are ,give us the money ,don't give a toss about the ideals and humanitarian record of the new owners .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 23:43

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Thu 07 Oct 18:15

Mon the Mags

There’s a good article in the Guardian that explains the hurdles they had to overcome. The biggest one was concern that the club would be owned and run by the Saudi government.

Sorry I can’t do the link thing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 06:01

How shallow football fans are?

The Saudis are the British Government's number 1 customer to sell arms to, but a bunch of success starved football fans in the North East are meant to lay down a moral marker and refuse the investment they've been craving for decades?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 07:34

Quote:

Roger Daltrey, Fri 8 Oct 06:01

The Saudis are the British Government's number 1 customer to sell arms to, but a bunch of success starved football fans in the North East are meant to lay down a moral marker and refuse the investment they've been craving for decades?

How pernickety of you to throw that in, Roger.

Never mind, it's an ill wind eh? I know a man called Steve who'll be getting a very nice Brucey bonus, along with his P45. 🙂

Post Edited (Fri 08 Oct 07:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 09:52

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 8 Oct 07:34

Quote:

Never mind, it's an ill wind eh? I know a man called Steve who'll be getting a very nice Brucey bonus, along with his P45. 🙂

I'm not sure you took my message correctly there GG. I was replying to Salton's post.

Newcastle have been my 'English' team all my life, so really pleased with the news.

It just frustrates me that people want/expect a football club and their success starved fans to refuse this sort of investment based on moral obligations, but don't seem to level any moral responsibility on our government, who help facilitate the human rights violations they are responsible for.

If they're good enough to sell arms to, they're good enough to put money in football.

If not, the objections should be levelled at Westminster for legitimising Saudi business and encouraging their investment in the UK across numerous industries.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 10:24

I'm a bit concerned what the half-time entertainment might be at St James' Park ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 10:38

Quote:

Stanza, Fri 8 Oct 10:24

I'm a bit concerned what the half-time entertainment might be at St James' Park ...

Stoning of women. Maybe a few beheadings of non-believers. Evening games could feature a bit of torture.

This isn't about taking a moral high ground, it's about being a human.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 10:43

Roger, isn`t that whole point of sportwashing though. It`s difficult to complain about selling arms to a totalitarian dictatorship or murdering a journalist in an embassy or all manner of human right abuses if you are quite happy to accept the money to pay for better footballers.
If people were ready to whittle away their principles because some group were willing to say, build a dozen hospitals, I could understand the give and go someone might allow themselves with that dilemma. However that`s not the case here. This is turning a blind eye so a football club can maybe win a competition or two.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 10:44

Quote:

Roger Daltrey, Fri 8 Oct 09:52

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 8 Oct 07:34

Quote:

I'm not sure you took my message correctly there GG. I was replying to Salton's post.

Newcastle have been my 'English' team all my life, so really pleased with the news.

It just frustrates me that people want/expect a football club and their success starved fans to refuse this sort of investment based on moral obligations, but don't seem to level any moral responsibility on our government, who help facilitate the human rights violations they are responsible for.

If they're good enough to sell arms to, they're good enough to put money in football.

If not, the objections should be levelled at Westminster for legitimising Saudi business and encouraging their investment in the UK across numerous industries.

Aye, I knew you were replying to Salton, Roger. I was just being flippant. You must surely know that the Government is above the laws of the land, as they have demonstrated time and time again, throughout the pandemic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 10:57

A lot of People criticising online Newcastle over the owners, yet still buy, products, clothes, technology produced from countries that don’t have the best reputations for human rights.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 11:43

Difficult to single out Newcastle. Plenty of clubs owned by or taking large wads of cash from extremely questionable sources, morally at least. Horse racing in this country also another example.

It doesn`t mean it shouldn`t be called out on this occasion, just because there are plenty other examples of it.

On a football front, if Newcastle are still doing badly by the turn of the year, January`s transfer window will be very interesting. I can`t imagine the new owners fancying their first full season starting in the Championship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 11:54

Quote:

JnrB, Fri 8 Oct 10:57

A lot of People criticising online Newcastle over the owners, yet still buy, products, clothes, technology produced from countries that don’t have the best reputations for human rights.

People don't always know. I remember my old boss being aghast at the company we used for the water machine as they had known links to nasty people. Not always obvious that the "Happy Biscuit Company" is actually owned by some nasty git.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 13:11

Mike Ashley wrote of close to 250 million pounds of debt from Newcastle ,and are in a better position than Sunderland and Middlesbrough , be careful what you wish for .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 13:24

How long before the Toon are pushing for membership of the Big 6 and who will have to drop out to make room for them?

With all those Saudi Petro$, how long before a European Super League is back on the table? 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 13:53

Lived in Newcastle for a couple of years and got allot of Geordie supporting mates, they're very excited.

It's a difficult one isn't it? You'd love for football to stand up and say that we're not going to be involved with something as inhumane as the Saudi rule.

However football has been picking up blood money from gambling, alcohol and cigerette companies for years, we've got a world Cup getting played in Qatar in a bit. To expect the Newcastle fans to turn their nose up at this simply isn't realistic unless we can expect football as a whole to take stock as to where we start taking our money.

If nothing else, hopefully this will bring the Saudi rule into a bit more of a spotlight.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 14:18

I've made that point before. You could quite literally go through every clubs sponsorship deals and find companies that have either broken the law on multiple occasions or are at best involved in some morally dubious practices. In big business very few companies are whiter than white.

Standard Chartered were fined $1.1bn for money laundering and moving money for terrorists and nobody batted an eye lid at Liverpool taking a billion from them to sports wash their brand on the front of their shirts.

The families of the victims of terrorist attacks even tried to sue SCB but their case was thrown out as it couldn't be confirmed that the money moved on behalf of the terrorists were used in the specific attacks that the plaintiff's lost relatives in.

Man Utd took money from GM who deliberately didn't fix a problem with their ignition switches that led to the deaths of at least 124 people as it was going to cost too much to repair. Not a peep about morals there either.

The UK is SAs second biggest arms dealer behind the US. Folk don't bat an eye lid at that but expect Newcastle to be some bastion of global human rights. Its also worth noting that in the case of City nobody bothered with the sports washing claims until they started winning stuff.

If we can sell them arms, Newcastle fans can certainly enjoy the investment coming their way.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 14:50

Is that it though? Because not every deal and sponsorship is whiter than white then anything goes? Is there any line that a prospective owner could cross that would be too much?
Standard Chartered were fined over 1 billion for breaching money laundering rules. GM had to settle a class action lawsuit for a nine figure sum for the ignition switch issue. Neither case covers reflects well on those companies but they are nowhere near the same level of wickedness as what Newcastle`s owners have commited.
I get it, Newcastle fans have endured mediocrity for years and they really, really, really want to have a successful team so are overjoyed at the moment. They also seem to think they have their club back but in reality it has now never been further away. No doubt before the next EPL fixtures they will continue to take the knee. If it wasn`t already (and I didn`t think it was) it`s bit of a hollow gesture now.

As far as the football goes, to address GG`s point I think the top six doesn`t matter. The top four is the only game in town. In a year or three Newcastle will certainly be competing for one of those slots and some big hitters are going to miss out some years. Of course so might Newcastle even with all that investment.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 12:08

No but if people genuinely cared they could vote for political parties that would stop arming them to the teeth and we could take the associated economic losses from the loss of trade. Once folk prioritise the important things that would actually make a difference I'd take the outrage about owning a football club a bit more seriously.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 12:22

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 9 Oct 12:08

No but if people genuinely cared they could vote for political parties that would stop arming them to the teeth and we could take the associated economic losses from the loss of trade. Once folk prioritise the important things that would actually make a difference I'd take the outrage about owning a football club a bit more seriously.

Vote Green 🙂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 12:23

Certainly one option. Vote yes and take yourself put of the Union that provides the weapons 😉

Put in export controls from Scotland to regulate the exports from defence manufacturers and take the hit if they leave to avoid the red tape.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 17:03

This didn't take long.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58855831

My Toon pal will be doing plenty of swearing when he reads this. He was so happy that Ashley has finally gone.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 18:06

I wonder what Pars fans would think if they also decided to take over the Pars as a feeder club? Maybe not beyond the realms of possibility. Would we accept occasional beheadings at half time if The Pars were challenging at the top of the Premiership?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jwd1103  
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 18:32

This could have been Sevco if they hadn`t hounded Ashley`s guys off the board and got Dave King in. Oh dear, how sad, too bad

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 21:54

wonder if they want peter grant lol

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 23:21

"Certainly one option. Vote yes and take yourself put of the Union that provides the weapons."

If it were only as easy as that.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/greens-condemn-scottish-government-investment-given-weapons-companies-1398784

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Oct 23:35

SNP could be replaced if it became a priority for people in Scotland 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jwd1103  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 00:09

londonparsfan wrote:

> SNP could be replaced if it became a priority for people in
> Scotland 😉
Yes they could. Yet the people of Scotland still vote for a party that can never, ever be the UK government (the SNP), so they always get the government they didn`t vote for. An unpleasant truth is every vote for the SNP increases the chances of a tory UK government. Which suits the SNP just fine.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 00:22

Quote:

jwd1103, Sun 10 Oct 00:09

londonparsfan wrote:

> Scotland 😉
Yes they could. Yet the people of Scotland still vote for a party that can never, ever be the UK government (the SNP), so they always get the government they didn`t vote for. An unpleasant truth is every vote for the SNP increases the chances of a tory UK government. Which suits the SNP just fine.

What a load of nonsense. If every vote in Scotland last election went to Labour, what would it have changed? Not one thing. Still a Tory government.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 04:20

Quote:

jwd1103, Sun 10 Oct 00:09

londonparsfan wrote:

> Scotland 😉

Absolute nonsense but I suspect you already knew this.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 09:52

A lot of players being linked to Newcastle already .. Plus Graham Potter

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parallel Lines  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 11:26

If they don`t finish top 4 heads will roll

I looked for my pet in all the books on animals and birds and then I found it in the Book of Revelations.Marty Feldman
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 21:54

Quote:

Parallel Lines, Sun 10 Oct 11:26

If they don`t finish top 4 heads will roll

A Jihad on the Tyne ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 11:03

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/18/premier-league-clubs-vote-to-block-newcastle-sponsorship-deals-at-emergency-meeting

Interesting to see how this plays out.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 11:29

I think Newcastle might have strong legal claim there. Its clear this about limiting competition.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 14:38

As much as I disagree with having what are effectively sugar daddy owners (very questionable ones in the case of Newcastle) this feels like the big boys want to change the rules now that Newcastle are in a strong position to be the biggest team in the EPL.

I've always followed the Pars so I've never had us as a big team but I really find it hard to associate closely with the likes of Man City etc. To me it feels more like going to the cinema to be entertained rather than feeling part of the club. I like knowing that my gate money is keeping the club going. In the case of these clubs they could play in front of empty stands and still make a fortune.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 16:36

Jake the likes of Norwich, Brentford and Burnley voted in favour of this proposal. Not because they are worried about Newcastle taking their place in the champions league but because they will be seeing a club they would have been in competition with to avoid relegation now getting a tremendous leg up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 17:54

The first man to make a noise about Man City being able to afford anyone they want was Roman Obramavich, big boys don't want wee boys playing with them, wee boys don't want other wee boys playing with big boys.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 18:30

It isn't fair but it's a bit late to moan about it now. The whole EPL is a joke. Backed by investments across the globe. Only a few steps away from becoming Squid Game 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 18:56

Do they stick with Bruce ? .. I watched his interview and he always talks well and in control .. I like him .. I think he should at least get the chance with the many players being touted as potential signings .. but its football

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 19:02

I'm with you on this one buspass, I used to watch Newcastle a lot in 80s and early 90s.
I would love to see Bruce get to manage Newcastle with money behind them, sadly I don't think he will be there when the next window opens

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Oct 10:47

He didn't even make it until I opened a window. Bruce and Newcastle split by mutual consent

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net