DAFC.net
Home 22 October 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Pars from Brazil...
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 00:52

There have been a few mentions over the years of the two Brazilians that we signed in the 1960s, but I don`t recall anyone ever mentioning this remarkable article that appeared in The Scotsman last year. It is a fascinating read as it turns out that we were not alone in being the victims of an elaborate ruse...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/when-celtic-and-dunfermline-were-thrall-boys-brazil-2962765

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Pars from Brazil...
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 09:14

This has been covered here before, maybe admin can flag up ?

Chico Filho played 45 minutes at Morton opening day of a season in mid 1960s - his solo performance.

He did end up at Old Trafford years later under Sir Fergie as a youth side manager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Filho_(footballer)

I can`t mind the name of the other player - but he was even less of a prospect apparently.

There`s a mention way down the paragraphs here -

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/scottish-footballs-20th-century-black-pioneers

Post Edited (Mon 11 Oct 09:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 09:16

If a Brazilian player had two names they were useless :-))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 13:37

There can only be a few dozen Pars fans still around who actually saw Chico Filho’s only Pars outing at Cappielow. Filho must have played the entire match since there were no substitutes allowed until the following season. The received narrative is that he was substandard, but I seem to remember one poster on here saying he was one of our better players on the day.

I enjoyed the article but given the massive adjustment a player would have to make coming to play in Scotland it is too simple to write them all off as poor footballers. Filho went on to have a decent career in French second division football, rather like Roger Milla who was later ‘discovered’ as a good quality striker when in his 30s playing for Cameroon.

Bert Paton’s story about Filho’s boots- very supple, minus toe caps and like slippers to his Scottish eyes- shows how different our game would have been to Brazilians. The Scandinavian players who came to Scotland at the same time were probably no better quality than the Brazilians, but they could adjust to the Scottish game much more easily.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 18:30

How did I think he only played the first half in Greenock ?

Maybe he was even more missing in action the second 45 minutes than the previous half ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 19:46

Good article from the Scotsman there, cheers for sharing that.
I read this brilliant article below about footballs greatest Con Man, worth a read. It also has a terrific article about El Trinche, who sounds like a Robin Friday type of player

https://broganrogantrevinoandhogan.wordpress.com/2020/06/13/football-legends-the-tale-of-two-men-the-kaiser-and-the-fork/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 20:06

I’m sure the other guy was called Alexander Gabrielle ,if my memory serves me well he wasn’t even Brazilian

G.B
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net