DAFC.net
Home 22 October 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 World Cup play-offs
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 06:36

So it looks most likely that Scotland will sneak into the play-offs for the World Cup.

From what I can see that puts us in a pot with 9 other second placed teams and two countries from the Europa League.

That totals 12 teams that will be split into three groups of 4. Each group of 4 plays two head to head matches (semi-final and final) to determine one winner from each group of 4. Therefore three teams make it through the play-offs from 12 entering.

Looking at the teams that could be in the playoffs right now:-

Serbia or Portugal
Sweden or Spain
Italy or Switzerland
France or Ukraine or Finland on Bosnia (probably not France)
Czech Republic or Wales
Holland or Norway
Russia or Croatia
England or Poland
Romania or Macedonia

We`re going to need the flukiest draw ever to have a chance of making it through (assuming we beat Moldova)

Post Edited (Wed 13 Oct 06:37)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: World Cup play-offs
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 06:57

Denmark were always going to cruise the group. Our target was to finish 2nd. We're currently 3rd highest in the table of 2nd place teams behind Portugal and Switzerland and ahead of Spain and Poland. We're seeded too. Currently we'll face either the Czechs, Norway, Romania, Ukraine, Wales or Austria, the last 2 are the best placed Nations league teams after the 4 finalists.

We're in as good a position as we can be going into the last round of games.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 07:32

Our result against Moldova won’t help us much in terms of seeding. Results against 6th seeds in the group count less. I think we’re going to end up needing atleast a point against Denmark to be seeded for the play offs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 08:22

Really don’t agree with the playoffs being seeded in the first place, surely a further detriment to those who managed to get in the playoff position who weren’t top seeds to start off with.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 08:35

I`m fairly sure the 6 seeded teams will be the teams that finish runners-up with the best points total?
That means they get to play the one-off tie at home?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 10:25

I posted this on the `Faroes v Scotland` thread but maybe it would be more appropriate here :-

`How are the seeded teams in the play-offs decided? If it`s the 6 best runners-up how is `best` decided? Some qualifying groups have 5 teams in them and some 6 so presumably it`s not total points. Average points per game would seem to be the obvious answer but could this be weighted to take into account the perceived degree of difficulty of different groups?

Most commentators seem to think Scotland are well-placed to be seeded but I`ve never heard it spelled out how this works. Being seeded is quite an advantage as it means the first knock-out game is at home. For the second knock-out game I believe the home teams are drawn by lots.`

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 10:26

Are you not all getting a wee bit ahead of yourselves .
Think I'll wait to see if we can get 2nd place before I start thinking about "who's next".

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 10:34

Aye it is Raymie, it`s still close for us and we need the win in Moldova for sure to remain seeded.
It goes by
higher number of points
Superior goal difference
Higher number of goals scored
Higher number of away goals scored
Higher number of wins
Higher number of away wins
Lowest disciplinary points
UEFA league of nations access list (pressume this is the 2 from league of nations)

We are surprisingly good zone with goals scored 13, but points is where we need to maximise our chances of being seeded.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 11:13

"`How are the seeded teams in the play-offs decided? If it`s the 6 best runners-up how is `best` decided? Some qualifying groups have 5 teams in them and some 6 so presumably it`s not total points"

it is total points with the groups of 6 removing the results against either the side that finishes 6th or the pot 6 teams in the draw (cant remember which it is). a win in Moldova guarantees 2nd in the group but has no relevance to the chances of being seeded at all.

"I think we’re going to end up needing atleast a point against Denmark to be seeded for the play offs"

a point is good enough if one of Norway, Croatia or Poland only pick up 3 points in the final games.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 11:21

"Are you not all getting a wee bit ahead of yourselves .
Think I`ll wait to see if we can get 2nd place before I start thinking about "who`s next"

We`re 4 clear in 2nd place. If we were 4 behind would you be optimistic we`d catch the team in 2nd?

We`re well placed to finish 2nd, that`s all. Moldova away is a tricky tie (they all are) but I think we have what it takes to win that one.

Sorry for being optimistic, I know you like a good greet

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 13:02

Mibbe aye mibbe naw da no1 but at least there is positivity here rather than doom and gloom of our club situation.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 14:52

It's extremely unlikely the Moldova game will have any impact on the final standings as the result against the bottom side isn't counted in the standings for 2nd place.

We have a home game against Denmark and Switzerland are away at Italy and home to Bulgaria so its unlikely we will overtake them. If they win their last two games they will top their group and Italy will finish second and their last game is away at Northern Ireland so they are likely to finish above us as well in the unlikely event the Swiss win the group.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 14:54

Quote:

BlackLight, Wed 13 Oct 06:36

So it looks most likely that Scotland will sneak into the play-offs for the World Cup.

From what I can see that puts us in a pot with 9 other second placed teams and two countries from the Europa League.

That totals 12 teams that will be split into three groups of 4. Each group of 4 plays two head to head matches (semi-final and final) to determine one winner from each group of 4. Therefore three teams make it through the play-offs from 12 entering.

Looking at the teams that could be in the playoffs right now:-

Serbia or Portugal
Sweden or Spain
Italy or Switzerland
France or Ukraine or Finland on Bosnia (probably not France)
Czech Republic or Wales
Holland or Norway
Russia or Croatia
England or Poland
Romania or Macedonia

We`re going to need the flukiest draw ever to have a chance of making it through (assuming we beat Moldova)

Why "Sneak"?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 14:57

Sorry I just realised you weren't talking about catching the 2nd in the playoff league. Apologies you can ignore that bit. We need to beat Moldova to guarantee second obviously.

2 of the groups runners up can't catch us in that play off league so there are 8 groups going for six places with two almost guaranteed to go to the Portugal/Switzerland group so really it's 6 groups runner ups chasing 4 seeding spots. A draw against Denmark would be a big help but if results go our way.

Sorry for the waffle I've smashed two different points together.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 15:00

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_UEFA_Second_Round

Adding the playoff league table on this thread too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 15:17

so it looks simply like the 6 runners up with the most points will be seeded?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 15:27

Yep. For groups with 6 teams the results against the bottom team are discounted in totalling the points. The two Nations League qualifiers are unseeded.

After points, it's goal difference, goals scored, away goals scored, wins, away wins, best disciplinary record.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 16:16

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 13 Oct 11:21

"Are you not all getting a wee bit ahead of yourselves .
Think I`ll wait to see if we can get 2nd place before I start thinking about "who`s next"

We`re 4 clear in 2nd place. If we were 4 behind would you be optimistic we`d catch the team in 2nd?

We`re well placed to finish 2nd, that`s all. Moldova away is a tricky tie (they all are) but I think we have what it takes to win that one.

Sorry for being optimistic, I know you like a good greet

Did last night fill you with confidence ?
It didn't me .
As far as knowing I like a good greet .
You know know absolutely zip abt me , so button it .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 16:25

We got the job done against an awkward side that are difficult to beat. Not a classic but that doesn't matter and outside of Gordon pulling of an excellent save and a decent save there wasn't too much to be concerned about.

Moldova's record in their last 24 competitive games reads P 24 W 1(Andorra in 2019) D 2 (Kosovo 2020 and Faroes in March) Lost 21. We shouldn't be complacent but we should be confident.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 16:43

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 13 Oct 16:25

We got the job done against an awkward side that are difficult to beat. Not a classic but that doesn't matter and outside of Gordon pulling of an excellent save and a decent save there wasn't too much to be concerned about.

Moldova's record in their last 24 competitive games reads P 24 W 1(Andorra in 2019) D 2 (Kosovo 2020 and Faroes in March) Lost 21. We shouldn't be complacent but we should be confident.

You are a glass half full sort of guy then 🤣.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 16:44

Why pick last night in isolation? (a tricky tie away from home at a ground where one of the form teams in Europe struggled as well)

The last 4 games have shown me we can get wins when we need to (especially in Austria last month.

I`m not over confident but I think we can be reasonably optimistic about beating a team who`s won one game in 24 v Andorra.

"button it" lol

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 16:49

Quote:

parsmad68, Wed 13 Oct 16:43

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 13 Oct 16:25

You are a glass half full sort of guy then 🤣.

I try to be but its not like we were getting battered by the Faroes. Couple of squeaky bum moments and not anywhere near as comfortable as any of us wanted but we're winning games against the smaller sides these days. The last one nil against Moldova wasn't spectacular but the same again is all we need.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 17:55

I was surprised at how good The Faroes team was offensively last night. Certainly a lot better than I expected as DA_NO1 said at the time.
If we don't manage to finish 2nd given where we are now then there's something far wrong.
Going forward we looked good albeit a bit pedestrian first half last night. And while he missed a couple of good chances on Sat I think Dykes did very well over the 2 games.
But I still worry that we seem predisposed to leaving gaping holes at the back that better teams will punish us for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Oct 18:27

Even as someone whose glass is half full I also think we're terrible at the back and will struggle against a lot of the sides ranked ahead of us in the current FIFA rankings.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Oct 00:10

A win in the Moldova game is essential, so long as more goals are scored than conceded lol.
We still need the points to be in 2nd position so that the games can then be removed and calculations can begin. Currently only had time to look at Norway which looks positive to an extent.
Norway currently on 17 points next game is at home against second bottom Latvia. Latvia`s away for has been better than their home form lost only 0-2 in Amsterdam and drew 3-3 away to Turkey and 0-0 draw away to Montenegro? Quite decent results. Anyway a home win takes Norway to 20 points and the last game is against Holland who will be hard to beat. If the Dutch do see off Norway then they remain on 20 points.

We have Moldova away which we should hopefully see out a victory. Then onto meet the Danes at Hampden. That match is difficult mostly due to the speed and pace the Danes counter and our inconsistencies at the back which lead us to be caught out. We will need a performance that matches the one in Wembley in Euro`s to take something from this. That match was phenomenal and I hope this one is to. I would take anything other than a thumping high score defeat.

So possible Norway 20 points and Scotland 20 points.
Norway currently +9 goal difference. -8 goals for -1 goal against (Vs Gibraltar) leaves +2
Scotland currently +6 goal difference. -1 goal Leaves +5

So the Moldova game is important and hopefully we can win and keep the score down with the Danes

What you do when yer bored at work huh!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Oct 00:42

The score against Moldova isn't important outside of a win guarantees us second place in the group and a place in the playoffs. It has no further bearing as it doesn't count in the goal difference vs Norway. Not getting spanked by Denmark could be important though.

That's the second time today I've half read a post and missed the point. Sorry 🙈 think we're saying the same thing.

Post Edited (Thu 14 Oct 00:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Oct 01:41

😂 aye Londonparsfan same thing. 3 points is important score isn`t. We have a +3 goal difference but Norway have a game in hand in goal difference so to speak.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net