DAFC.net
Home 06 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Away end
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 15:50

Nice to see a big crowd there for a change, a thousand maybe?. Some racket too when their goals went in.
This was always a good encounter back in the day - Jackie McGrory, Frank Beattie, Jackie McInally, Davie Sneddon, etc , not forgetting old favourite Tommy McLean, always a warm welcome for him!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Away end
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 16:02

Never liked playing Kilmarnock. Our record against them in the late 90s into the early 2000s was terrible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 16:27

Going back a bit but if my memory serves me right I remember a one nil game against
Kilmarnock at East End Park a Ronnie Mailer rocket into the top corner of the goal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 16:35

The game that I remember the best was a 1 - 0 victory in 1986. It was my son's first game he was about 2.5 months old. We got a penalty that John Donnely took. I held up my son and told him that he would see his first Dunfermline goal. Duncan still goes to games and we sit beside each other in the Norrie. He is a regular traveller in the Kincardine mini bus.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 17:27

Quote:

Ianoappar, Sun 17 Oct 16:27

Going back a bit but if my memory serves me right I remember a one nil game against
Kilmarnock at East End Park a Ronnie Mailer rocket into the top corner of the goal.

That was my first game April 1960 - can't remember much about it except it was an evening game in the school Easter holidays.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 17:51

ParsDatabase confirms we beat Killie 1-0 on 04/04/60 with a Mailer goal in the 49th minute. We ended that season with 6 wins in a row.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 17:58

That would be when Big Jock came along and worked his end of season magic.

He persuaded Killie to play on the Monday because they had a cup tie on the Saturday - his reasoning being that if the cup game required a replay that would concentrate their minds on the Wednesday - and as their league position was clear of the relegation positions a cup win would focus their minds on the next round !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 18:11

Killie were a bit better off than avoiding relegation when Ronnie Mailer hit his famous shot: they were in a two way race for the title with Hearts with only a handful of games still to play. Mailer’s goal turned the tide in Hearts’ favour and was fondly remembered for a few years after by grateful Jambos.

Killie ended up a bit like the Pars did in 1965. They were going for the double but lost out in the League and also lost the Cup Final.

sammer
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 20:55

Good to see 4000 at the game despite our league position.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 21:17

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 17 Oct 20:55

Good to see 4000 at the game despite our league position.

Didn't look anything like it, I presume we're still counting people who weren't there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sun 17 Oct 23:16

We sorely need more games like this where there is a decent away support. Much better atmosphere all round
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 18 Oct 01:32

Talking about the away end, please forgive me if I am seen in the Partick Thistle end next week since my very good friend who supports the Jags wants me to go with him to the game. This makes it more necessary for us to give them a right good doing because it will be much better for me to rejoice than suffer in silence. I see no reason to fear them. They have been scoring a lot of goals recently but haven`t come up against a miserly defence like ours. Following our very good display against Killie, I am actually looking forward to the Thistle game and I think the players will be eager to get back into action after a good fighting display yesterday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 18 Oct 02:57

I have a question for the oldies...

It was October 1969 and we were playing Kilmarnock at EEP. I remember a young lad debuting for us that day called Jim Traynor. He played a blinder, scoring a cracker after just five minutes.

But that was pretty much the last I ever saw of him in the black & white.

My recollection is that he played on the left wing, but it might have been left half or inside left, as we won 2-1, and the second goal was scored by Barrie Mitchell who usually played in the No.11 slot.

The Pars Database has few details on Jim Traynor. It says he came from Petershill and only made two appearances in 1969/70.

Does anybody remember any more about him and what happened to him? Was he injured? Maybe Roy Barry will remember the lad? This was just before he left for Coventry.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Oct 09:07

Sammer have another go - nobody’s infallible!

Edit: oops…apologies! Monday morning hangover …I only got two bits wrong, the clubs and the year!

Post Edited (Mon 18 Oct 09:21)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Oct 09:13

Sammer`s memory is clearly well ahead of mine - I hadn`t realised Killie were so seriously placed in the title race 1959-60, and that the Pars largely derailed their ambitions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Oct 09:31

Killie werev due a break, from 1959/60 season to 63/64 they were league runners up four times, and twice losing league cup and cup finalists.
Highlight though was stunning win over Eintracht, their “Valencia”, but even better.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Oct 17:21

I remember that Jim Traynor goal, a left foot finish placed inside the far post at the Halbeath End. He looked a lively striker inside the penalty area but maybe he didn`t have a strong enough all round game to make it at EEP. I`m pretty sure he was from Stranraer area and moved to play there, scoring regularly for a few seasons.

The game I best recall him playing was a Reserve Cup Final against Celtic in 1970, a great end to end game which we lost in extra time. Traynor scored a couple I think but the player who stood out to me was the Celtic No. 4 who oozed class. I made a point of checking his name in the Dunfermline Press a few days later and it was Dalglish.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 00:40

Thanks for that, sammer. I guess that, over the years, we have had few youngsters who have briefly shone but never quite kicked on. Another one that I remember of fondly was Mark Williams, who we signed from the Navy. Terrific little player, but again, a relatively short Pars career.

During the sixties, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline were regarded as the leading provincial sides in Scotland. Hard to believe now, but we were both light years ahead of Aberdeen and Dundee United.

EDIT: In fairness, Dundee were a successful side too, certainly up to the mid-60s, but they sold off most of their best young talent - guys like Alan Gilzean, Ian Ure, Andy Penman - and began to slip back in the pecking order.

Post Edited (Tue 19 Oct 03:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 11:25

League winners Dundee a fabulous side , who went on to take some notable scalps in Europe - Sporting Lisbon, Cologne, Anderlecht- before losing Semi Final to Milan.
As reigning champions, they visited EEP in the League cup needing only a draw to qualify from the section. They didn’t do draws … cracking game, end to end, and 4-3 for them. One of the best games I ever saw, despite losing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 13:09

I don`t remember Jim Traynor myself, but I see he had a season (7 games, 2 goals) at St Mirren before 5 or 6 fairly prolific years at Stranraer, as Sammer says.

As for successful provincial sides, surely those two Lanarkshire outfits Celtic and Rangers enjoyed some success in the 60s?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 14:39

A bit of lateral thinking going on there, McCaig. I suppose, strictly speaking, you are correct. "Provincial" refers to anything outside of the capital.

Back in the 1960s, it was a universal term in football circles. I never heard it mentioned in reference to the ugly sisters. But I strongly suspect you knew that anyway. :)

In those days, in Scottish football, "provincial" included all the clubs outside Glasgow and Edinburgh; perhaps today, we would say "non-metropolitan", but that`s a bit of a mouthful. Of course, Glasgow back then had a population well above a million. Nowadays, what is it? About 600,000?

Thanks for the additional info on Jim Traynor.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 15:08

I'm going to nit pick here, Oz and suggest that "provincial" was a tag used for clubs out with the 4 cities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. I do agree that Killie and the Pars were far and away the biggest rivals to the OF hegemony. The other big city clubs spent much of the 60s in mid table mediocrity. Aberdeen and Hibs even hovered perilously close to the relegation zone on occasion.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 16:16

When Jim Traynor scored a couple of goals in that Reserve Cup Final of 1970 v Celtic at EEP (I think we lost 4-3) here is a photo which shows the quality of player he was facing.
I`m sure you will identify four players who went on to have outstanding careers, alongside a Lisbon Lion.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 16:44

Are the five on the left of the back row McGrain, Craig, Fallon, Connelly and Dalglish? I think second from the right in the front row is Vic Davidson who didn`t quite make it at Celtic Park but had a decent career elsewhere.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 16:51

Quote:

sammer, Tue 19 Oct 16:16

When Jim Traynor scored a couple of goals in that Reserve Cup Final of 1970 v Celtic at EEP (I think we lost 4-3) here is a photo which shows the quality of player he was facing.
I`m sure you will identify four players who went on to have outstanding careers, alongside a Lisbon Lion.

We did lose 4-3 in a pulsating game, sammer. I remember there was a very decent crowd - 3-4,000? Celtic's team contained a number of young players who for some reason were known as the Quality Street Gang. That the Pars reserves gave them such a good game says a lot. I'm fairly sure it was a two legged final and that the Pars had come away with a low scoring draw at Parkhead (0-0 or 1-1) so many of us fancied our chances of lifting the trophy at EEP.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 17:01

You got the back row Eck.
Front row on the left are Paul Wilson and Lou Macari.
Like GG Riva I think the crowd was around 3,000 and it was a great contest which went to extra time.
How then, having done so well against players set for great careers, did we not build upon that better?

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 17:24

The caption on the photo identifies the player on the extreme right of the front row as `Gorman`. That will be John Gorman who was assistant manager of England under Glenn Hoddle in the late 90s.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 18:14

Why would Jim Craig be in a Celtic reserve side lineup in 1970 ?

He played in Lisbon 1967 - and George Connelly was in their 1969 Scottish Cup winning team where they scudded Rangers 4-0.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Oct 18:38

Coming back from injury maybe, VEE? That was a common route at the time.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net