DAFC.net
Home 06 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Lewis Martin
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 00:11

Contrary to the suggestions on here that the club has given up on Lewis Martin, PG says in his pre-match interview that he is still training and making progress, albeit slowly. Ian Wilson is also getting fitter but needs game time, maybe via friendlies.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Lewis Martin
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 08:00

"Contrary to the suggestions on here that the club has given up on Lewis Martin, PG says in his pre-match interview that he is still training and making progress, albeit slowly. Ian Wilson is also getting fitter but needs game time, maybe via friendlies."

I wanted to re-read the older thread in which the OP suggested that the Pars were offering Lewis training facilities until he found himself another club, but I couldn`t find it. Perhaps he`s making good progress and the club has had a change of heart?

Lewis has been a good player for us when he`s been fit and his versatility is a great asset. It would be good to have him back, but the Pars can ill afford to keep paying him a wage if he`s almost permanently injured, even if that`s not the lad`s fault. He really has had a rotten time of it with illness and injuries. I`d be scared to look at his playing record with us. I think he`s been at the Pars for over 7 years now.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 08:42

Think its 9 years GG , almost due a testimonial ! When was the last player to receive one - Scott Thomson?
A fully fit Lewis would be a brilliant addition.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 09:44

`...the Pars can ill afford to keep paying him a wage if he`s almost permanently injured, even if that`s not the lad`s fault.`

I don`t understand your point there, GGR. Isn`t the club obliged to pay his wages whilst he`s under contract? If there`s a chance of getting him fit why not take it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 09:53

I would think the club would have insurance for long term injuries, surely that would be paying some of the lads wages

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 10:00

It’s a difficult one. Lewis is technically in his 10th season with the first team. He made his debut in the 2012-13 season. He joined us in 2011 I believe. However, thinking about how long he’s been here, it’s hard to ignore that he really hasn’t made many appearances over those 9 and a bit years to date. 159 appearances is not a lot, over that sort of time scale. Only twice has he played in more than 50% of our league games in any given season.

However, it’s certainly not irrelevant that he was in outstanding form in the 19/20 season. If he can get back to those levels and stay fit, we 100% want him here. But those of us on here have no idea how likely that is. We have to trust the club and the medical staff to make those judgments.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 10:03

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 22 Oct 09:44

`...the Pars can ill afford to keep paying him a wage if he`s almost permanently injured, even if that`s not the lad`s fault.`

I don`t understand your point there, GGR. Isn`t the club obliged to pay his wages whilst he`s under contract? If there`s a chance of getting him fit why not take it?

It was a general point, eck. Money is tight at our club and in an ideal world, we'd be paying wages to players who are always available for selection. If, as Roman 1885 suggests, Lewis's wages are covered by an insurance policy, it's not a problem.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 10:31

Hopefully Lewis gets back to full fitness,think he`s under contract till January 2022.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 10:34

For information, the thread where it was said that Lewis had left the club was headed `McCann and Wilson` (last post 1 Oct). Another poster did say the club had extended training facilities for as long as he needed them. PG`s comment on COWS just seemed a wee bit more optimistic to me so I thought I`d mention it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 11:09

If Lewis doesn't get fit and a new contract in January he may struggle to get a new club. I would say he would benefit more from a testimonial by the club for those reasons

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 11:53

Isn`t it likely his current contract runs until May next year? Why would the club have to make a decision on a new contract in January?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 22 Oct 11:57

They maybe extended it for a few months rather than for a full season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net